• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

People loved Infinite at the start and slowly turned on it, it seems.

System Shock 2 > Bioshock > Bioshock Infinite > Bioshock 2

Don't think people "slowly turned" on Infinite. It was quite polarizing here on GAF when it released. I personally loved the game, even if I recognize its flaws.

edit: Or did you mean that people turned on the game as they played it? Maybe so.

danm999

Don't think people "slowly turned" on Infinite. It was quite polarizing here on GAF when it released. I personally loved the game, even if I recognize its flaws.

edit: Or did you mean that people turned on the game as they played it? Maybe so.

If I had to guess I'd say the moment the dimension jumping begins really rubs people the wrong way.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I loved everything about Infinite except how it played. Which was a problem.

World, characters etc. were great. Gunplay was terrible.

Myggen

If I had to guess I'd say the moment the dimension jumping begins really rubs people the wrong way.

That's great. I just enjoyed that game as a ride more than anything else, and loved that part. I get that it probably doesn't make much sense but I don't care.

I loved everything about Infinite except how it played. Which was a problem.

You've just described all the Witcher games for me.

danm999

That's great. I just enjoyed that game as a ride more than anything else, and loved that part. I get that it probably doesn't make much sense but I don't care.

I didn't mind it either but switching dimensions seems to elicit a narrative displacement that lots of people dislike I've noticed.

It happened with Fringe, for instance, and something else recently.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You've just described all the Witcher games for me.

You played Witcher 1? I really dug the combat in that game, though I'm the only person in the world with that opinion.
I can see that, but fucking up a first person shooter that much feels more difficult than making it good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I loved the way Bioshock 1 and 2 controlled. My only issue with Infinite was all the loot scrounging was turned up to 11 and I thought the Skyhook stuff wasn't working well but they went ahead with it anyways.

Myggen

You played Witcher 1? I really dug the combat in that game, though I'm the only person in the world with that opinion.
I can see that, but fucking up a first person shooter that much feels more difficult than making it good.

I've played all the Witcher games. I finished Witcher 1 back in the day, even though I disliked the gameplay. I played the first 10 or so hours of Witcher 2 before entirely giving up on it because I absolutely despised how it played. I gave up on Witcher 3 about 10 hours in too at first, but am now trying for a second time. I'm near the end, I think. I love the world, I love the story (even though I think it's a bit overrated, but that's probably my fault for reading too many forum posts) but I hate everything about how it plays. I hate the combat, I hate the movement. It will probably be a top 10 game for me, but just barely because of how much it feels like work to get to the good story parts. I'd enjoy Witcher 3 much more as a book than a game.

The game has some of the best moments of the year though.

Megasoum

Banned
So I never watched a single wrestling match in my whole life but through osmosis (aka Dan) I've heard the name Kevin Owens multiple times.... I had no idea he was actually a french Canadian from a small town here in Québec.... That's cool

Tubobutts

Witcher 1 made the cool guy LED lights on my computer change color when I was in combat. I think it was the only game that did anything like that.

Gundam is certainly intimidating because of how old the franchise is, but there are several places to start. The franchise is divided into several different timelines. Basically you have the original Universal Century stuff and a bunch of 1 off shows that all exist in their own universe. You can start with any of those side shows and not know anything and be perfectly fine.

As for my recommendation as to where to start, it depends on how much time (and potentially cash) you want to invest getting into it. I think the ideal spot is to read the Gundam: The Origin currently being published by Vertical in the US. It's a 12 hardback volume manga remake of the original Mobile Suit Gundam. The art is amazing and it fixes a ton of the pacing issue of the original, while also giving more backstory and more characters time to shine. It's really a special thing.

If you want to stick to TV, I might actually push for Gundam SEED's HD remaster. It's not the best gundam AU show and it's filled with quite a bit of teen angst, but it's still really fun with some awesome mech designs. The sequel series is terrible, but the original is a pretty great into.

If you want the shortest place to start, I'd go with either the 08th MS Team or 0080: War in the Pocket. Both are short OVAs that take place during the original show. They focus on on the ground people and are some pretty effective pure war stories. Both are some of the best stuff Gundam has to offer, but they're a bit different from your usual affair.

Oh, I know enough about Gundam to know what and what not to watch. Have already seen a decent amount of OG Gundam (and decided to stop and watch the trilogy instead as I heard its better if I don't have time for the whole show) and have started watching Zeta. Also saw 08th MS Team and 00 and those were both great as well. Though I only saw S1 of 00 since I hear S2 is worse.

Gonna work my way through Zeta and watch Char's Counterattack, War in the Pocket and Unicorn. I plan on watching Seed as well one day if only for how polarizing it is. And I also definitely plan on watching G Gundam as I hear nothing but great things about it, and I hear the new Gundam on CR is great so far.

Witcher 1 and 2 were alright. Though the games were just super dry from both a narrative and gameplay perspective. It also annoyed the fuck out of me that Witcher 2's longest section felt like pointless filler to pad out the length of an already short game.

santeesioux

I have tried the first two Witcher games multiple times trying to get into them and haven't been able to, and I have 3 installed on my PC from the GPU I got that came with it for free. I really want to get into this series but it may not happen at this point.

I also started the currently airing Gundam series without having watched any other Gundam related thing and am enjoying it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dan should do a Bombastica or something of Twisted Metal Black because I played a shit ton of TM 2 like he did and never ever played Black.

yami4ct

Oh, I know enough about Gundam to know what and what not to watch. Have already seen a decent amount of OG Gundam (and decided to stop and watch the trilogy instead as I heard its better if I don't have time for the whole show) and have started watching Zeta. Also saw 08th MS Team and 00 and those were both great as well. Though I only saw S1 of 00 since I hear S2 is worse.

Gonna work my way through Zeta and watch Char's Counterattack, War in the Pocket and Unicorn. I plan on watching Seed as well one day if only for how polarizing it is. And I also definitely plan on watching G Gundam as I hear nothing but great things about it, and I hear the new Gundam on CR is great so far.

The Movie Trilogy was the best way to watch MSG, and is still the best for time, but I'd say reading The Origin is the ideal way to experience the story. You get all the content that the movies cut while still getting a ton of pacing improvements and more backstory.

Since you've watched the UC stuff, I'd say you should check out Turn A now. It's my personal favorite. Really great characters and a cool story. Tonally it's really silly, but I think that works well for it.

The Movie Trilogy was the best way to watch MSG, and is still the best for time, but I'd say reading The Origin is the ideal way to experience the story. You get all the content that the movies cut while still getting a ton of pacing improvements and more backstory.

Since you've watched the UC stuff, I'd say you should check out Turn A now. It's my personal favorite. Really great characters and a cool story. Tonally it's really silly, but I think that works well for it.

My Gundam backlog a slow burn since I don't have enough time for anime/manga during the school year (especially with all the new games), so I don't know when I'll get the time for it. But its all going in the backlog. Thanks for the recommendations!

danm999

Wait Gundam takes place during an era when Earth has established an interstellar empire? Why didn't I know that I love shit like that.

yami4ct

Wait Gundam takes place during an era when Earth has established an interstellar empire? Why didn't I know that I love shit like that.

Uh, I don't think any Gundam timeline has that. Haha. Some of them have earth colonizing other planets in the Solar System/the Moon (Turn A, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Victory and Age come to mind), but interstellar travel has never been a plot point.

If you want that kind of stuff, I'd point you towards Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

danm999

Uh, I don't think any Gundam timeline has that. Haha. Some of them have earth colonizing other planets in the Solar System/the Moon (Turn A, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Victory and Age come to mind), but interstellar travel has never been a plot point.

If you want that kind of stuff, I'd point you towards Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

I'm using the word interstellar wrong. I had no idea there was space travel is what I mean.

Are we talking about Anime? Sweet

God tier-
Yu Yu Hakusho
GTO
08th MS Team
Monster

Great tier-
Death Note

....That's about all the anime I've seen.

yami4ct

I'm using the word interstellar wrong. I had no idea there was space travel is what I mean.

Space Colonization is actually the central theme of 99% of Gundam.

The plot of the original MSG is some of the colonies are tired of the Earth government treating them like shit, so they form their own nation and start a war of independence. Unfortunately, that war is started by them conducting a surprise attack and dropping a space colony on earth, killing millions.

Jintor

all i really know about gundam is that at some point in some continuity they drop a space colony on australia and sometimes i feel like that is a good idea

the best way to stop war between the colonies is to send a representative gundam from each colony to duke it out on earth

g gundam is the best gundam series fight me

giphy.gif

So, we anime now? The shows I enjoyed the most were Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Monster, Steins Gate, Black Lagoon, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Attack on Titan.

As for anime films? Too many, lots of good shit out there when it comes to anime movies.

giphy.gif

I prefer the dirty, gritty animation of old anime films because somehow the raw details gives it a very particular atmosphere compared to the newer anime films with their very clean looks.

yami4ct

If we're talking about anime, One Punch Man is a new show you should probably be watching, even if you think anime is for jerks.

The animation is amazing, but I don't think the show/manga is nearly as funny as it thinks it is. When it comes to parodying shonen battle manga tropes, Gintama does it leagues better.

If we're talking shows this season everyone should watch, everyone watch Noragami. Season 1 is slow going, but really fun. Season 2 has been amazing so far.

If we're talking about anime, One Punch Man is a new show you should probably be watching, even if you think anime is for jerks.

I can vouch for One Punch Man as well. I always dawdled about when it came to reading the manga. But holy shit the adaptation is impressive. There are very few adaptations, especially JUMP adaptations, that really add or are better than the source material. One Punch Man is one of them. It definitely is up there now with Hunter x Hunter, Gintama and Death Note as top tier JUMP adaptations. I just wish Medaka Box and Beelzebub got better adaptations. I hope Hero Academia gets proper adaptation treatment but it still has yet to get to 'that' arc. You know, the Chuunin exam, Benizakura, Soul Society kind of arc.

Also Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blood Orphans OP is up there for one of my favourite OP's of the year. It's some good stuff.

hamchan

Steins gate, huh? Hmm...I have seen that thrown around..

I've played two time travel video games this year, Steins;Gate and Life is Strange.

Life is Strange is good, totally worth GBeast playing through but Steins;Gate is one of the best time travel stories of all time.

Lelcar

So, we anime now? The shows I enjoyed the most were Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Monster, Steins Gate, Black Lagoon, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Attack on Titan.

This is a great list. Death Note and Monster are among my favourites of all time, but the rest listed here is great too. The only one I can't vouch for here is Black Lagoon, I didn't see much of that one.

I have a soft spot for Macross Plus (featuring Bryan Cranston) as it was the anime that got me into the whole genre back in the 90's, it opened my eyes to what anime can be.

And as easy as it is to make fun of Dragon Ball Z, I still really enjoy that series. In fact I honestly think that from the beginning of the show to the end of the Namek/Frieza saga is some of the best story structure ever (the Kai version anyway). Everything leading up to Namek is cause-and-effect and foreshadowing what's eventually going to take place. And then when we get to Namek itself, the show turns into a layered story like the movie Crash or Babel, where now we're following all these different character plotlines and they intersect with each other and have consequences. But then Future Trunks happens and kind of disrupts that flow and turns the show into something else, and I like Trunks and the android shit, but yeah it's different after that.

justjim89

I enjoyed the rhythmic style combat of TW1 and overall I think it's a great game that hadn't quite found it's footing. TW3 makes good on all the promise TW1 had. TW2 was a different, shorter, more linear affair but it served as a stepping stone. I think the games evolved perfectly from one another and they perfected everything in 3. The combat, the atmosphere, the story, the worldbuilding. The Witcher is such a great series. They surely make another one in 5 years or so after Cyperpunk comes out, but I don't think Geralt is coming back. He's one of the greatest protagonists in gaming, for me, but he's earned his rest.

The only animes I've watched are Attack on Titan and Death Note. Both I really enjoyed and thought were phenomenal until about halfway through. The ending of Death Note especially. Oof.

Zoggy

the volgarr the viking breaking brad is supremely underrated, especially the last ep with jeff in it was.

its also an amazing game.

Lijik

I loved the way Bioshock 1 and 2 controlled. My only issue with Infinite was all the loot scrounging was turned up to 11 and I thought the Skyhook stuff wasn't working well but they went ahead with it anyways.

I actually thought the skyhook stuff was a ton of fun and one of my main issues is they barely play around with it. That one arena before meeting Lady Comstock where theres a bunch of small unconnected areas you can skyhook between and have Handymans chase you across is a lot more engaging than most of the other fights in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom