• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

in a weird way, I kind of hope so, because I generally prefer when they have some idea what they're sitting down with before they record

generally

I don't know the disappointment that could unfold while realizing how bad this is again could have been great.

Alright, so what's the attraction of Phantasmagoria? Why did people want it so much, just more FMVinny? Because I'm really bored of this game and it's only been ten minutes.

Dave is the only one that could give Witcher 3 a chance at GotY. Dan "everything is the same" Ryckert and Brad "people push it too hard" Destinymaker torpedo it at every chance.

Dave pls. The site's
opinions
are broken.
Alright, so what's the attraction of Phantasmagoria? Why did people want it so much, just more FMVinny? Because I'm really bored of this game and it's only been ten minutes.
Aside from being Vinny + FMV content (which never disappoints)...
I just read the wikipedia article for Phantasmagoria 2....man, that game goes places. Holy shit.

Curtis is an alien clone. Yes. You just read that.
I REALLY want to see them finish it, but that doesn't seem likely.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Phantasmagoria is about
Aliens from the Dimension X (yes, it's really called Dimension X). But they didn't get that far.

just more FMVinny?

s9UyFMs.gif

Xater

We really need them to continue Phantasmagoria 2. It will be way more hilarious content than LiS.

Phantasmagoria 2's silly sci-fi twist is still not as dumb as Harvester's silly sci-fi twist.

Harvester would also be a great choice for COOA but it is way worse to play.

Patryn

It kinda needs the Snider though.

We all need the Snider.

I miss Dave :(

Dave is the only one that could give Witcher 3 a chance at GotY. Dan "everything is the same" Ryckert and Brad "people push it too hard" Destinymaker torpedo it at every chance.

Dave pls. The site's
opinions
are broken.

I've said this before, but based on Dave's tweets, I think he'd be pushing Pillars of Eternity over Witcher 3.

KingKong

good Jonathan Blow interview though I'm still having trouble picturing what The Witness is exactly and how it's going to work as a 100 hour game

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
They should just play a maximum of two episodes per game. That way you get a little bit more if the game is interesting without making everything a playthrough. I just want to see Alex' reaction when he finds out there is literally a
Dimension X
in the game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I so, so hope Witcher 3 doesn't even make the top 10. And I like that game. Nothing they said about it in this Bombcast was wrong, though. And I really just want to see the meltdowns.

I so, so hope Witcher 3 doesn't even make the top 10. And I like that game. Nothing they said about it in this Bombcast was wrong, though. And I really just want to see the meltdowns.

Same.
I've only played a few hours of the game so I have no opinion, but I just want to taste the salty tears.

Patryn

The funniest part of that would be that it would likely be the Witcher fans harassing the staff to play the game that would be the reason for it.

Listening to this week's Bombcast, they're definitely more negative about the game and it sounds like it's the people pushing it that are the reason.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I've said this before, but based on Dave's tweets, I think he'd be pushing Pillars of Eternity over Witcher 3.

As well he should. That game is legitimately amazing. That it even came out at all is one thing, but the fact that it so closely harkens back to those old Infinity Engine games as well is simply amazing. It plays great, the combat is interesting, and the writing is good for the most part. It will certainly be on my top 10 list in the upper half, and TW3 won't be up so high.

But I know that Pillars has 0 chance of ever getting onto GB's list because no one there played it. Rorie maybe got some distance into it, Austin or Vinny might have played it some, but I think no one on the West coast ever installed it. It is clearly a great game. GB didn't play it much. Oh well. TW3 has the same issues. It's clearly a great game, they didn't like it for whatever reason. Oh well.

I think it should be in the top 10 but not the top 5.

It's been an odd experience playing that game. Every weekend I got back and play a few more hours but nothing in the game has made me want to play it more. It's really well made but I feel like I'm just not getting anything out of playing it.

Zaph

It will be glorious. And if Taken King ends up in the Top 10 (or 5?!?!)? Shit will become as historical as the 8.8.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
TW3 has the same issues. It's clearly a great game, they didn't like it for whatever reason. Oh well.

"For some reason" Like all the reasons clearly enumerated on the last Bombcast and many times before? Alright then.

Man the Phantasmagoria stream was really. Good. I'm going to cry if they can't have Bakalar on more often.

Oh well. TW3 has the same issues. It's clearly a great game, they didn't like it for whatever reason. Oh well.

There's the good ol' Whatever Reason™ that heavy game likers always bring up.

It's my GOTY so far but I agree. That would be hilarious. That said, it will be annoying when they nitpick it and other games to death and Dan will jump to the defense of every possible negative thing said about MGSV. He'll try to find a way for the FOB and patch nonsense to be great. He said The Witcher 3's story was spinning its wheels (which is very true especially with the awful Dandelion segment) yet he liked the MGSV storyline which is the narrative equivalent of a single tire rolling around in a circle.

It looks like the HD MGSV Part 12 feed cuts out at about 9 minutes. Oh well.

Had to switch it from HD to High on HTML5 to keep it going.

Same. Few things are better then watching people get irrationally salty about video games.

Its also why I want MGSV to win so people can get even more angry.

2nd half of the video is better, but yeah, game itself is pretty boring. GBEast commentary is great as always though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I only watched the first half so far and I was thoroughly entertained.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's my GOTY so far but I agree. That would be hilarious. That said, it will be annoying when they nitpick it and other games to death and Dan will jump to the defense of every possible negative thing said about MGSV. He'll try to find a way for the FOB and patch nonsense to be great. He said The Witcher 3's story was spinning its wheels (which is very true especially with the awful Dandelion segment) yet he liked the MGSV storyline which is the narrative equivalent of a single tire rolling around in a circle.

You're not wrong entirely but narrative is a much tinier part of MGSV's appeal. I don't just mean because it's a bad story or anything, but because it's A) a tinier part of the overall experience and B) the game plays so damn well. Witcher 3 doesn't play particularly well and it spends a lot of time on narrative which, as you say, goes nowhere fast in Act 1. Find Ciri! Okay so find Triss to find Dudu to stage a play to find Dandelion to... ARGH. Around the time I had to stage a goddamn play I came close to saying "fuck this game". I think there's a strong enough case to be made for MGSV in that it's still a great game even in spite of the FOB nonsense, which is apparently not as big a deal as it sounds like if you're just playing it because you rarely get invaded anymore and if you do, it's super easy to get stuff back from succesful (automatic) defenses or invading an easy FOB target. Rorie didn't even bring it up this week and he's still playing the game.

justjim89

Pretty much this. It's not a game for them and seeing how far they talk it down will be funny, but the nitpicking will be obnoxious as fuck. Because never mind the fact that post-release patches adding in an offline tax, microtransactions hampering a single player game, and abhorrent female objectification in MGSV represents some of the most toxic shit in the video game industry, in Witcher 3 the movement was kinda sluggish. 1/10 worst game ever.

Still don't understand the Witcher 3 movement complaints, especially during combat but such is life.

Galak-Z is now on steam, huzzah! Time for hot 144 FPS arcade action.

You're not wrong entirely but narrative is a much tinier part of MGSV's appeal. I don't just mean because it's a bad story or anything, but because it's A) a tinier part of the overall experience and B) the game plays so damn well. Witcher 3 doesn't play particularly well and it spends a lot of time on narrative which, as you say, goes nowhere fast in Act 1. Find Ciri! Okay so find Triss to find Dudu to stage a play to find Dandelion to... ARGH. Around the time I had to stage a goddamn play I came close to saying "fuck this game". I think there's a strong enough case to be made for MGSV in that it's still a great game even in spite of the FOB nonsense, which is apparently not as big a deal as it sounds like if you're just playing it because you rarely get invaded anymore and if you do, it's super easy to get stuff back from succesful (automatic) defenses or invading an easy FOB target. Rorie didn't even bring it up this week and he's still playing the game.
I'm mainly just surprised that Dan said he liked the game's story where nothing happens for its entirety though while complaining about Witcher's story. Also, I'm not sure I can entirely agree with bolded. Narrative is an important part of Metal Gear. A lot of people have always played it for the story. I feel like there's some revisionist history going on here on GAF where people are acting incredulous that people ever cared about the story. Regardless of how stupid the series' lore is, it has always been a major factor. It just so happens that this game plays a lot better so people who never cared about the story can enjoy it more.

And yes, fuck that stage a play mission. Why was that a main quest? It's probably not as bad as playing the boring ass
prologue twice
though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much this. It's not a game for them and seeing how far they talk it down will be funny, but the nitpicking will be obnoxious as fuck. Because never mind the fact that post-release patches adding in an offline tax, microtransactions hampering a single player game, and abhorrent female objectification in MGSV represents some of the most toxic shit in the video game industry, in Witcher 3 the movement was kinda sluggish. 1/10 worst game ever.

See? Imagine this but on a x10 scale. lmao

tuxfool

Banned

It brings to mind the criticisms of DA:I last year. The criticisms levelled at the game were mostly fluff to the point where they didn't even get to the more meaningful problems with that game.

Had to switch it from HD to High on HTML5 to keep it going.

Same. Few things are better then watching people get irrationally salty about video games.

Its also why I want MGSV to win so people can get even more angry.

2nd half of the video is better, but yeah, game itself is pretty boring. GBEast commentary is great as always though.

Yeah I did that too. Video guys where arrrrre you? (I know)

Still don't feel like the story in MGSV is actually that nonexistent, there are a ton of cutscenes that appear whenever you fly back to base and inside the main story missions. There's just a lot more grindy bullshit that makes the game longer and spreads out the conversations. Think if you removed the forced codec conversations from the other games it would be pretty even.

Although what is there full of really gross sexism and nonsensical pseudoscience, even compared to previous games. And it's completely unfinished with most of the plot threads left dangling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom