• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mainly just surprised that Dan said he liked the game's story where nothing happens for its entirety though while complaining about Witcher's story. Also, I'm not sure I can entirely agree with bolded. Narrative is an important part of Metal Gear. A lot of people have always played it for the story. I feel like there's some revisionist history going on here on GAF where people are acting incredulous that people ever cared about the story. Regardless of how stupid the series' lore is, it has always been a major factor. It just so happens that this game plays a lot better so people who never cared about the story can enjoy it more.

And yes, fuck that stage a play mission. Why was that a main quest?

I don't mean MGS as a whole but MGSV in particular. I know people play MGS for the story (though why anyone would after 4 is anyone's guess), but V is well-liked for reasons that largely have nothing to do with the story, good or bad, certainly by the Bomb crew and myself, although I know I don't speak for everyone because I've looked at the MGSV spoiler thread here.

I'll never stop laughing at the Witcher 3/MGSV comparisons. Two games that couldn't be anymore different, but that won't stop the duders or fans from comparing everything about it with each other lol.

See? Imagine this but on a x10 scale. lmao

Its why MGSV needs to win GOTY. Its the only way to see the world really burn.

I don't mean MGS as a whole but MGSV in particular. I know people play MGS for the story (though why anyone would after 4 is anyone's guess), but V is well-liked for reasons that largely have nothing to do with the story, good or bad, certainly by the Bomb crew and myself, although I know I don't speak for everyone because I've looked at the MGSV spoiler thread here.
Fair enough. Still surprised anyone can like the story though. That said, I'm sure there's plenty that feel way about MGS4 :p
I'll never stop laughing at the Witcher 3/MGSV comparisons. Two games that couldn't be anymore different, but that won't stop the duders or fans from comparing everything about it with each other lol.

It's just how these things go. Games that come out in close proximity often get compared. The main fight for this year's GOTY is gonna be Metal Gear and Mario Maker. Now those are really two completely different games.

justjim89

I mean, I didn't pre-order Hitler after loving all of Hitler's predecessors only to be left incredibly disappointed and disillusioned when Hitler ended up trying to ruin humanity and besmirched the whimsical dignity of Charlie Chaplin's mustache.

Curufinwe

I could see it winning at GB and on GAF. The salt levels will be toxic.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Bioshock Infinite was a really good game that puts the first Bioshock to shame. I really don't get the hate for it or MGSV.

Bioshock Infinite was terrible and MGSV was a great 20 hour game stretched to 95+ hours so people generally either got more negative the longer it went on or just hated the story altogether.

People like to think they're different. Don't let it bother ya.

Yeah I get that. I love MCU stuff but didn't like Ant Man at all and loved Star Wars back in the day but have no interest in the new movies, so I know what it's like to have unpopular opinions. It's just weird to me that there's so much backlash with those 2 games. Also, it looks like I'm getting to some mild MGSV spoilers in the latest Beastcast. Does anybody know when they stop discussing that game?

Also, are there any plans to bring MGSV to Mac? I use one at work and it would be cool to play a side mission or 2 during breaks.

I'm fine with peoples opinions. But some people take them to such extremes just so that everybody knows they don't like the popular thing.

Sometimes I feel like the bigger a game is, or the more popular it gets, people feel the need to magnify how much they dislike it. One might think a game is "not great" or "just ok," but if it becomes a huge critical success it becomes "fucking terrible". It's the cycle of hyperbole that we see every year.

Sometimes I feel like the bigger a game is, or the more popular it gets, people feel the need to magnify how much they dislike it. One might think a game is "not great" or "just ok," but if it becomes a huge critical success it becomes "fucking terrible". It's the cycle of hyperbole that we see every year.
To be fair that goes both ways, people can often really overstate how good a game actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom