• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

erawsd

I'd say that's a pretty spot on emulation of the real thing.

Thats kinda what I mean though, its a videogame so the characters shouldnt have to look like they are pretending to hit each other.

animating objects interacting with each other is really hard

thats why most games dont have characters actually hold and transfer items or put things on/off. I liked how in the Witcher 3 they got around it by just cutting away and the cutting back to the changed models

I'm not even talking about the weird teleporting and hitbox jank thats going on. I meant the action itself and the way the moves are performed. When Austin hits Bret Hart with the stunner or with the chair it looks so pathetic. Compare that with hitting a guy with a pipe in TLOU where you can feel the impact of each hit.

Instead of playing a game I want to see GB east paint along with the Bob Ross twitch steam

Why are these WWE reviews so good?

They always review "ok".

Mostly from the same reviewers who are stuck in the "this is the WWE game that will fix it all - This WWE game didnt work out that well but its ok 8/10 - last years WWE game sucked but Yukes says THIS is the one" cycle like IGN.

erawsd

Ah. The difference is whether you care about those quests or not. I found them plenty interesting. My issues were more with how
Eredin and the Wild Hunt
were characterized in the end.

Yeah, same here.
My greatest disappointment with the Witcher 3s story is how the Wild Hunt is handled. CDPR has a hell of a track record with some creating amazing characters especially their villains, so its kinda shocking that Eredin turned out so generic and one note. They sure make up for it in Hearts of Stone though.

Instead of playing a game I want to see GB east paint along with the Bob Ross twitch steam

They always review "ok".

Mostly from the same reviewers who are stuck in the "this is the WWE game that will fix it all - This WWE game didnt work out that well but its ok 8/10 - last years WWE game sucked but Yukes says THIS is the one" cycle like IGN.

You mean the Sonic cycle?

When Vinny was talking about deciding what Halloween game they should play, I thought about this post:

Now I'm sad. Oh well, I'll enjoy this too I'm sure.

Yeah well I actually prefer this but I'm honesty really surprised.

Edit: FMV games making a comeback is something I never would have expected but I'm so glad it's happening. They almost all sucked back in the day, but Her Story, Contradiction, Tesla Effect, and possibly this are all showing that they're a legitimate genre.

Xater

They name dropped 7th Guest and now I am bummed out they are not doing it. I guess I know what my next COOA vote will be.

popo

Are Gamespot dressing up again this year? Always fun to see who tries too hard (like that snail from last year) and if any make an appearance on a super (awkward) UPF.

--------------------

On the subject of GBEast streams. I think the guys might have realised that they painted themselves in to a corner. By playing a games for what they saw as a one off (contradiction and Until Dawn) and then going on to finish them - they have now generated the expectation that any narrative based game they play will be streamed to completion. At the moment, that leaves them with about 3-4 hours available for streaming per week and a backlog of LIS, Phantasmagoria 2, the whole Castlevania series and
Blade Runner (RIP)
all needing to be finished.

If you don't choose to do the main quest line then the story won't advance, but many other different stories are experienced. Most of them better than the majority of games anyway.

The Witcher's biggest problem imo is that you spend so long following things - trails, people, fireflies that it really feels like you have no agency.
I feel like I was doing the main quest. I was supposed to find Dandy to help find Ciri, my main quest. I know there is lots of side stuff but when the next main quest line is 4-5 levels above you, you kind of need to pick up some extras.

It's not even the overall progression. I feel like I have done two things in this game, ask the baron about Ciri, Ask dandy about Ciri and I think they needed to break it up or represent it different. I expected maybe one extra step to finding Dandy but holy hell, it was this insanely long quest line and was really 4-5 different major quests. It's not a content issue, it's pacing. I didn't even care by the time I finally found him, I just wanted to move on.

I get in a few hours of it a week but when I do that I get tired of it and just want to move onto the next story segment.

Gwent is probably my favorite in-game card game of all time. The strats involved are amazing.

On the subject of GBEast streams. I think the guys might have realised that they painted themselves in to a corner. By playing a games for what they saw as a one off (contradiction and Until Dawn) and then going on to finish them - they have now generated the expectation that any narrative based game they play will be streamed to completion. At the moment, that leaves them with about 3-4 hours available for streaming per week and a backlog of LIS, Phantasmagoria 2, the whole Castlevania series and
Blade Runner (RIP)
all needing to be finished.

Until Dawn was never a one off thing and I doubt Contradiction was because they decided to upload the 2nd quicklook before making it into a series to finish it off. If they don't want to play a game I don't see them forcing themselves to play it just because they never finished it.

Since we're on the topic of GBeast streams, is there ever a chance they will have a set that doesn't look like a closet? I really enjoy their stuff, but the lack of light and openness to the set is a drag.

Since we're on the topic of GBeast streams, is there ever a chance they will have a set that doesn't look like a closet? I really enjoy their stuff, but the lack of light and openness to the set is a drag.

And Vinny needs a proper way to use a mouse and keyboard, the Phantasmagoria video was painful to watch, it must suck having to play that way.

Zaph

I hope so, but is seems like the NY offices are (unsurprisingly) cramped - their desk space, control room and studio is tiny. Probably why there's not any UPF/tabletop content nor many guests.

Maybe something could change, but I doubt it considering it's all newly constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom