• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
Nah man. Open world games with 8 hours of content is booboo (Most Wanted remake, discussed it here a couple days ago). New one looks like it's lacking as well given Jeff had 3 hours played and 34% complete.

I could really go for an arcade game with the structure of Burnout 3 though. I'm pretty sick of open worlds for arcade driving games.

Not really. Game is lacking on a lot of fronts. It's not about the bloat, because the Crew for example is also awful. Personally I am not a big fan of open world arcade racers. The only one that really got it right was Burnout Paradise.

well it's not like i'd get it right now, paying 60-70€ for a game is ludicrous to me. also where are you getting 8h from, early impressions seem to indicate it falls somewhere between 10-20, although more data is needed on that

anyway, while (the most recent) hot pursuit is probably a better game than this, the reboot seems more reminiscent of games like underground 2/og most wanted/carbon which i think is great. let's hope they iron a few things out with a patch

agree with you guys on open world in general, though. would love to see a level structure return for the next one of these

Joeku

Not really. Game is lacking on a lot of fronts. It's not about the bloat, because the Crew for example is also awful. Personally I am not a big fan of open world arcade racers. The only one that really got it right was Burnout Paradise.

Forza Horizon had open world tracks so well-designed the open worldiness matter not at all for the races but added so much to the sense of place as a whole. That is a fantastic game.

Forza Horizon had open world tracks so well-designed the open worldiness matter not at all for the races but added so much to the sense of place as a whole. That is a fantastic game.

I was about to respond "someone hasn't play Forza Horizon." That game is awesome.

I'm not exactly clear on what was wrong with The Crew I played the two hour trial all the way through about a month ago and it seemed fine. The only reason I didn't buy it was because I fully expect it to be super cheap during the winter spring sale, so people buy its expansion. Admittedly the campaign was dumb, but that's not really why I'm coming to a racing game anyways.

daydream

Banned
only played the demo for horizon to confirm how i felt about the handling and whatnot. it was great. everything about the world and vibe of the game(s) always seemed sterile and anemic, however, in a way nfs never was

Xater

only played the demo for horizon to confirm how i felt about the handling and whatnot. it was great. everything about the world and vibe of the game(s) always seemed sterile and anemic, however, in a way nfs never was

I didn't care for it either.

Zaph

well it's not like i'd get it right now, paying 60-70€ for a game is ludicrous to me. also where are you getting 8h from, early impressions seem to indicate it falls somewhere between 10-20, although more data is needed on that

Yup, these £49.99 games need to die. Well, if you're putting out a juggernaut like Witcher 3 I can understand - but seeing shit like NFS, Battlefront and Anno? Come on. Even worse when it's a first party store so the publishers are basically getting the full amount minus tax and card fees. Makes me want to avoid the game even when it's on sale.

Xater

Yup, these £49.99 games need to die. Well, if you're putting out a juggernaut like Witcher 3 I can understand - but seeing shit like NFS, Battlefront and Anno? Come on. Even worse when it's a first party store so the publishers are basically getting the full amount minus tax and card fees. Makes me even want to avoid the game even when it's on sale.

Main reason I am going to avoid that game. Seems super fun but what you get for the money just doesn't check out, not even compared to stuff released on last gen.

Zaph

Main reason I am going to avoid that game. Seems super fun but what you get for the money just doesn't check out, not even compared to stuff released on last gen.

Yeah, that game seemed okay and looked pretty (not exactly hard when it's mostly just barren vistas) but still feels like a fan-made Battlefield TC. Yet they're asking for premium price?

I just want a budget-priced downloadable Burnout crash mode. heck, just give me a remake of 3's crash mode.
Getting those gold medals was so satisfying. Probably one of the few series I ever put effort into beating single player scores.

danm999

Fuck, Canada's falling behind even Australia in game prices? Lord, how the mighty $40 of 2009-2013 have fallen.

Fallout 4 is gonna be another BethSoft game. Make all the money, get a fuckton of awards, be a janky fucking ankle-deep ocean kept salinated by the work of the community, with no true sense of character or place or time.

Frankly I would love to be surprised. But at some point around 30ish hours into Skyrim the formula broke for me and I realized it was just a mess of math colliding into one another while polygons slid around on invisible ice rinks. From that moment on I could see the code of the Matrix; I knew kung fu, and fuck kung fu.

Honestly I'll probably get the damn thing after some DLC comes out and it's on sale. In the DLC they at least can pack a narrative into a small structure and it generally works out pretty well.

I find myself pretty ambivalent about it all and don't give a shit about the graphics if they improve the writing.

But I'll probably pick it up so fuck me right, what point is there in them improving it if I give them my money anyway.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yup, these £49.99 games need to die. Well, if you're putting out a juggernaut like Witcher 3 I can understand - but seeing shit like NFS, Battlefront and Anno? Come on. Even worse when it's a first party store so the publishers are basically getting the full amount minus tax and card fees. Makes me want to avoid the game even when it's on sale.

I spent around 140 hours with the last Anno, so the price doesn't seem that crazy to me tbh.

Edit: Oh, £ not €. Makes more sense now.

But I'll probably pick it up so fuck me right, what point is there in them improving it if I give them my money anyway.

Yeah me too. I just enjoy the exploration of those games too much.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why pick it up though if that's how you feel?

I mean i understand why people are down on it even though I'm excited for it personally, but I see the same ambivalent response from people who decide that they're still going to pick it up anyway and it puzzles me.

danm999

Why pick it up though if that's how you feel?

I mean i understand why people are down on it even though I'm excited for it personally, but I see the same ambivalent response from people who decide that they're still going to pick it up anyway and it puzzles me.

I just end up buying most open world RPGs, usually at a sale price.

I have a particular fondness for Fallout as a series too, my ambivalence is more directed at the way Besthesda has been making games since Morrowind.

Zaph

I spent around 140 hours with the last Anno, so the price doesn't seem that crazy to me tbh.

Edit: Oh, £ not €. Makes more sense now.

The Anno games are fantastic and well worth £40. But £49.99 is extra fuckery knowing Ubisoft will no doubt do more server-side shenanigans and these new "rare resources" stink like hell of upcoming micro-transactions.

Antiwhippy

I just end up buying most open world RPGs, usually at a sale price.

I have a particular fondness for Fallout as a series too, my ambivalence is more directed at the way Besthesda has been making games since Morrowind.

Fair enough.

Though honestly it's been a long time since I last played a Bethesda game so I'm not feeling the burn yet.

Jintor

It's kinda passe but honestly zeitgeist is a huge part of the reason I buy games new, when I do. I would've skipped on Witcher and MGSV otherwise (well, maybe not MGSV).

Having to scrub through podcasts and avoid threads gets really irritating after a while.

mintyice

Those leaked Fallout 4 videos have dampened any hype I had for that game. It really looks like a texture pack for FO3. I don't know why I would have expected anything different, but I'll still probably end up playing it.

Those leaked Fallout 4 videos have dampened any hype I had for that game. It really looks like a texture pack for FO3. I don't know why I would have expected anything different, but I'll still probably end up playing it.

people talking about how the first few hours are just spent wandering around trying to find something to do is confirming my worst fears about the game. once upon a time, aimlessly wandering around in a bethesda world was entertaining but now we're on like the 7th iteration of it...

Antiwhippy

I got tired of that 4 entries ago. apparently my tolerance for that crap is diminishing with age.

At least bethesda's games are spread apart far enough though.

I dunno, I guess I tend to view bethesda games like how people view zelda. Inherently familiar but comforting to return to.

Megasoum

Banned
At least bethesda's games are spread apart far enough though.

I dunno, I guess I tend to view bethesda games like how people view zelda. Inherently familiar but comforting to return to.

Agree... Except that in my case that's also how I treat AC...

I LOOOOOOVED Brotherhood, skipped a couple, liked Black Flags (even if I think it's waayyyy overrated by the press in general) then skipper a couple more and now really enjoying Syndicate.

Xater

I think I will have fun with Fallout 4. Mostly because I am into the post apocalypse as a scenario for RPGs, but I seriously doubt I will like it more than Witcher 3.

danm999

Assassins Creed is at least interesting hearing about in that you have no idea if you're getting more Assassins Creed, something that it actually engaging or a fucking trainwreck.

I'm not sure I can think of a more inconsistent experience year to year. Even Call of Duty seems to maintain a floor to its quality in a way AC can't.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Holy shit those videos. Screenshots don't do justice to how bad this game looks. You can frame a screenshot nicely, at least. The animations have to be seen. The flat-ass lighting model, the basic shadows and lack of AO, the AWFUL facial animations (that vault guy at the door, only his mouth moves, it looks so creepy)... Christ, this may be the most disappointing thing all year, and that's saying something.

Maybe the game is fucking amazing in spite of it but I just don't see that happening.

The sad thing is I may still pick it up because I have literally nothing better to do with my life anyway. But man alive this game looks on track to really blow everyone away with its aggressive mediocrity.

it kind of looks like they halfway wanted to make everything look like decayed candy-colored bakelite but changed their mind or failed halfway through. so instead now it just looks like a bunch of crummy flat-shaded textures lit by the worst lighting engine in the business

I think the announcement video set my expectation for Fallout 4, because the new footage (I haven't watched a whole lot of it yet) looks about what I anticipated. Not great, yeah, but I'm not surprised.

Some of those PS4 screenshots look dire though.

justjim89

I think Fallout 4 looks good enough to be serviceable. At the very least it's colorful with no dumb filter over all the graphics. I'm curious how big the world ends up being.

Of course I pre-ordered Fallout 4, so maybe I'm being a bit overly-hopeful.

Fallout 4 looks like more Fallout. I don't want a reimagination. I just want something where I can roam around and get attacked by mutants and look at cool art deco clocks.

I did buy the PC version on GMG for $46 and I paid $40 for The Taken King, so, it may as well be a F3 expansion.

if Yakuza 5 wasn't supposed to come out in the next few weeks, I'd probably get FO4.

please let Yakuza 5 come out in the next few weeks

Jintor

i know arkham knight has already had its share of getting shat on but I really have to get this out: how can you have made 3 or 4 of these games and not realised from a readability standpoint that game is this horrible garrish mesh? It looks amazing in screenshots but holy shit in combat the HUD is flipping out in every direction and every enemy is some horrible blur of dark colours that all look the same, rain is streaming down and every single surface is reflecting three glowing colours, you can't tell at a glance the difference between various armour types... and half the time the tutorial text bugs out and there's giant white text overlaid over everything telling you to do a thing you've been doing for THREE GODDAMN GAMES

Really not feeling MG Scanlon 5. I dunno what it is I'm just not enjoying it as much as the previous games.

I dont know if it's MGSV itself (the non linear nature etc) that I'm taking issue with or just the way Drew is playing it, not sure.

Either way it's decent enough to have on in the background and look back every so often.

I'm fine with Fallout 4 being more Fallout. I enjoyed the base Fallout gameplay loop. I'm not a graphics stickler so it looks fine to me, but worst case scenario is I grab a graphics overhaul mod for pc.

LiK

FO3 looked pretty bad on 360 but hell, I still sunk a shitload of hours into that game. the atmosphere, weird characters and dialogue, kept me coming back. Took like 10 hours to hook me in but once I was in, I was in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom