• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been in the screenshot thread in a while for obvious reasons but those PNG'S Shinobi posted look so much better than the original ones.

Sure the game isn't a looker compared to Witcher 3 BUT Fallout has never been about the graphics anyway.

tuxfool

Banned
Fallout 4 looks like more Fallout. I don't want a reimagination. I just want something where I can roam around and get attacked by mutants and look at cool art deco clocks.

I think you're mixing up the timelines. The heyday of Art Deco is several decades before the aesthetic of the Fallout games.

kingocfs

It'll be tough to be better than New Vegas so I'm setting my expectations appropriately low. Don't care how it looks as long as the story is good and they are doing cool shit under the hood.

Patryn

I'm legitamately incredibly anxious about the prospect of Fallout 4 being bad. I've waited so long for this and it feels like the buzz has turned negativite. Also they have barely showed it.

A lot of voices on GAF have been calling it a bad game for years now.

For many people, there would literally be nothing Bethesda could do to make it "good" in their eyes, beyond giving up the franchise to Obsidian or someone else.

The screenshots are just emboldening that crowd.

I dunno, I played through both New Vegas and 3 and I found myself much more immersed in 3. Maybe I just didn't appreciate the writing of NV enough but I put many, many more hours into Bethesda's Fallout than Obsidian's.

Why are people surprised? Both Fallout 3 and NV looked like shit when they came out.

I thought Skyrim was pretty nice looking at the time for an open world game on that scale though.

The worry is that if they haven't progressed on the visuals then the VATS stuff and general gameplay will be just as stale.

Bethesda got a pretty important guy from Bungie to work on combat for them iirc? I wonder if he had enough time to make a big difference. It'd be nice for Fallout to have some great shooting

Tubobutts

I have heard a lot of good things about this already. I will probably pick up the PS4 version which is supposed to come out in Q1.

Also Austin should know better than to call Skaven rat people.

Austin and Vinny are apparently those jerks who see a Warhammer Fantasy thing and want it to be a 40k thing instead. And that's why they blew up Fantasy. Jerks.

Note: I don't think Austin and Vinny are actually jerks

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Also those dialogue options look flat out awful, even by Bethesda's standards.

This is more my concern. Bethesda's writing is fucking atrocious. Sure, the game looks ugly as sin. But it will play like shit too and comes from the most incompetent studio in RPGs as far as writing and world-building is concerned.

Myggen

This is more my concern. Bethesda's writing is fucking atrocious. Sure, the game looks ugly as sin. But it will play like shit too and comes from the most incompetent studio in RPGs as far as writing and world-building is concerned.

Sounds a bit like hyperbole to me.

Patryn

I suspect that Fallout 4 will have no come to Jesus moment.

The people going in who hated Fallout 3, or dislike Bethesda games, will likely still hate Fallout 4.

The people who liked Fallout 3 will probably like it depending on their patience and desire for a similar game.

On GAF, those who hate Fallout 3/4 will remain perplexed why anyone could like it, and decry both the fans and the game at most opportunities for a window of time. That window may increase in size depending on review scores and/or how it fares in GOTY conversations (not limited to GB).

Water remains wet, the sun continues to rise.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Sounds a bit like hyperbole to me.

I have never played a game with a more poorly written ending than Fallout 3's. It was nonsensical in the game world and reality. Games that just don't have an ending in hopes of a sequel that never ends up coming still have a better ending than Fallout 3, and that's ignoring the fact that the rest of it was terribly written too.

justjim89

Has Bethesda ever really made a bad game though?

Skyrim was great.
Fallout 3 was great.
Oblivion was great.
Morrowind is the greatest RPG ever created
Daggerfall is even pretty great.

Like, I'm legitimately unsure where this idea of Bethesda being a bad developer comes from when their track record as far as game quality goes is pretty spotless.

Writing? Sure (though I've found it competent), but I've always liked Bethesda's world building. Skyrim was gorgeous and fun to explore, as was Fallout 3. Oblivion was a bit uninspired but still rather nice.

Skyrim was great.
Fallout 3 was great.
Oblivion was great.

Like, I'm legitimately unsure where this idea of Bethesda being a bad developer comes from when their track record as far as game quality goes is pretty spotless.

People get hot and flustered when Obsidian is brought up and then they compare Bethesda and Obsidian and decide Bethesda sucks.

demidar

I have never played a game with a more poorly written ending than Fallout 3's. It was nonsensical in the game world and reality. Games that just don't have an ending in hopes of a sequel that never ends up coming still have a better ending than Fallout 3, and that's ignoring the fact that the rest of it was terribly written too.

Ah yes, the ending so bad it had to be retconned by DLC.

Patryn

Skyrim was great.
Fallout 3 was great.
Oblivion was great.

There are many people who consider Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Oblivion as bad games, at best saved by mods.

The basic argument is that the only two good games Bethesda ever made were Morrowind and Daggerfall.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just love all of those well written Behtesda characters like...that viking guy. And Three Dog, whose goals and motivations were...uh...radio guy. They really convince you that the giant empty maps are living worlds, despite everything being placed haphazardly and with complete disregard for how towns, cities, and civilizations would function.

Myggen

It's all so subjective, but I think Bethesda's world building in general is excellent. Especially for the Elder Scrolls series. That world is one of the only game universes I find really interesting, and the amount of lore they've built of areas that haven't been shown in games yet is staggering. I'll not argue on Fallout 3's ending, but I loved that world too.

There are many people who consider Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Oblivion as bad games, at best saved by mods.

The basic argument is that the only two good games Bethesda ever made were Morrowind and Daggerfall.

There's many people who consider any game to be shit. We all know that Bethesda is hated by a lot of people because those people are really vocal about it.

Tubobutts

Are they just transitioning Warhammer to being post-apocalyptic fantasy or are they just going to shift their focus to 40k?

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the new lore, but basically they erased the last thirtyish years of Warhammer Fantasy and rebranded it as Age of Sigmar. The End Times was stuff about the old setting being destroyed so the could set up the new one.

The cynical sort of view is that they did that to make their stuff more easily copyrightable and to make it more like 40k which is more popular.

tuxfool

Banned

A lot of the writing FO3 made absolutely no sense. The factions had stupid justifications for doing things. If one just reads a summary of the main events in FO3 the plot becomes quickly unravelled.

The thing about that game is that because it is a Bethesda game long running threads get lost in the vagaries of the Beth formula so it isn't immediately apparent.

Bethesda got a pretty important guy from Bungie to work on combat for them iirc? I wonder if he had enough time to make a big difference. It'd be nice for Fallout to have some great shooting

"great" may be a stretch, but it certainly looks competent, so that's a pretty huge step.

In Fallout 3 my dog got killed by a giant ant 15 minutes after I got him. I've never forgiven Bethesda.

I just marked him as a quest character on the pc version. ain't nobody killing my puppy.

Patryn

In Fallout 3 my dog got killed by a giant ant 15 minutes after I got him. I've never forgiven Bethesda.

Dogmeat is immortal in Fallout 4.

They learned their lesson on that.

And I'd argue the bigger sin is that I never found Dogmeat in Fallout 3. I know I'm not the only person who totally missed him.

I also see we've entered the classic Bethesda is shit/Bethesda is good argument loop. Here's a hint: Haters, you probably won't convince anybody to retroactively not like Fallout 3. Lovers, you can't convince the haters that Fallout 3 was good.

Xater

It's all so subjective, but I think Bethesda's world building in general is excellent. Especially for the Elder Scrolls series. That world is one of the only game universes I find really interesting, and the amount of lore they've built of areas that haven't been shown in games yet is staggering. I'll not argue on Fallout 3's ending, but I loved that world too.

Could not agree less. I think Bethesda has been terrible at that in their fantasy stuff. I can tell you barely anything about the lore and I played everything from Morrowind on. There might be some cool stuff in the books, but I don#t play video games to then read books. If that's how you think lore should be distributed be my guest, but I think that is a misuse of the medium.

They did alright in Fallout 3, but I also brought with me all the stuff I already knew about the world from Fallout 1 and 2.

tuxfool

Banned
Dogmeat is immortal in Fallout 4.

They learned their lesson on that.
doge2zzsen.gif

Heimbeck

Banned

Skyrim was great.
Fallout 3 was great.
Oblivion was great.

Not everyone shares this opinion though.
Personally I really couldn't get into Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

tuxfool

Banned
Could not agree less. I think Bethesda has been terrible at that in their fantasy stuff. I can tell you barely anything about the lore and I played everything from Morrowind on. There might be some cool stuff in the books, but I don#t play video games to then read books. If that's how you think lore should be distributed be my guest, but I think that is a misuse of the medium.

Their best lore is inherited from Morrowind. I recall somebody saying that all the writers in that game had quit in between that and Oblivion.

Patryn

Also, this conversation amuses me when everyone jumped on me for saying that I can see Fallout 4 not making the Top 10 of GB's GOTY.

I'm actually super looking forward to F4, and nothing I've seen has dissuaded me from that opinion.

Myggen

I've got no problem with a developer having a lot of lore that's not essential to the game in in-game books. So different opinions there I guess.

Also, this conversation amuses me when everyone jumped on me for saying that I can see Fallout 4 not making the Top 10 of GB's GOTY.

I'm actually super looking forward to F4, and nothing I've seen has dissuaded me from that opinion.

The thing is that the GB staff in general loved Fallout 3. Fallout 4 might turn out to be shit, but the people arguing that in this thread thought Fallout 3 was a bad game. The GB staff didn't (Dan liked Fallout 3 too), so that's not that relevant if we're speculation about what the GB staff will think of the game.

Xater

I am also getting Fallout 4, my expectations are just not as high as they seem to be for some people. Can't say I am hyped for it though. I just like RPGs and the Fallout scenario so I am giving it a shot. I don't think Bethesda is the be all end all when it comes to RPGs. I really disliked Skyrim for example. Fallout 3 was good though, although Obsidian's game had significantly better writing.

I've got no problem with a developer having a lot of lore that's not essential to the game in in-game books. So different opinions there I guess.

Having more lore is fine. All good RPGs do that, but you better present something compelling outside of books, codexes and all that other shit games use.

I like lore being in non-essential stuff. I still love the audio logs in Bioshock (and Infinite) despite that trope kind of being done to death.

Sometimes I listen to MP3s of Bioshock's audio logs.

frostyxc

And I'd argue the bigger sin is that I never found Dogmeat in Fallout 3. I know I'm not the only person who totally missed him.

I talked to EVERYONE, and after whispering incoherently in a corner for 45 minutes, we came to the conclusion that you were, and still are, the only person to NOT find Dogmeat. We have all decided to slowly suck air through our teeth and shake our heads at you.

Don't worry, you're not the only one. That lady at Golden Corral who wouldn't take our coupon also got judged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom