• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a specific point in Fallout 3 (I want to say when you meet your dad) when you realize that they didn't really want to think too hard about the rest of the story so everything just rushes forward in a straight line, possibly in the hopes that you won't stop to ask questions.

Elder Scrolls DOES have very good world building, but that's because a lot of that world building has been built up over the course of the series as a foundation to keep thing (mostly) consistent and logical.

Fallout 3's world building is nonsense. Things just exist because someone at a brainstorming meeting threw it out there and it sounded cool, or because they were in past Fallout games.

of all the things to take from Bioware games, why would you take the dialogue system? I know I like to just guess what my character is going to say based on vague blurbs.

The anti hype for fallout is really interesting to me. It's like AAA games have finally jumped the shark.

in a year where a AAA game set the bar so high that the person behind it got fired, lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Some others are saying that might be a bug as well. I'm going to wait for some actual reviews to hit. Basing my opinion off small chunks of blurry gameplay leaks seems hasty.
That's a mighty polished looking bug then. It's from the character creation section, though, could just be this specific choice.

Patryn

Oh no, the dialogue system looks like garbage. I already hated what ME did and this looks even worse. How can you do this for a RPG? I should probably re-think getting Fallout 4 and just get Divinity.

Sounds like it. Just wait until next year and get Fallout 4 on a sale.

Xater

Sounds like it. Just wait until next year and get Fallout 4 on a sale.

Reading that charisma has also become less useful really make me think that I should do that. My favorite thing to do in WRPGs has always been playing a high charisma character and playing with the dialogue system. That is just as important as good combat to me.

Ketch

Oh yea I guess. I think I just associate the whole Kojima thing with Konami getting out of the industry while simultaneously be dumb and sleazy.

Also I don't think people want games to fail. It's just that the majority of the people (at least on GAF) are realizing how marketing works and aren't buying into it anymore.

We know that the gaming audience in general is skewing older over time, but I wonder how the average age of GAF users has changed over time... It must also be getting older right?

KingKong

The anti hype for fallout is really interesting to me. It's like AAA games have finally jumped the shark.

seems to me the anti hype is because this AAA game doesn't look like an AAA game

for me Witcher 3 has a lot to do with it too, hard to accept a game of this quality of animations, scripting and writing after that

really the griping about the graphics is just because it's funny to me.

if the actual stat mechanics and dialogue are dumbed down, that's a whole other story. seriously, why have a charisma or intelligence stat if they only affect like one thing each? why can't I make a 1 INT character that talks like a moron like in FO2? (other than the fact that they decided to voice the MC for whatever reason)

Dineren

Banned
Was there a quick look of the original Fallout 3? I found some for the DLC, but all I see on the original is Jeff's video review.

tuxfool

Banned
really the griping about the graphics is just because it's funny to me.

if the actual stat mechanics and dialogue are dumbed down, that's a whole other story. seriously, why have a charisma or intelligence stat if they only affect like one thing each? why can't I make a 1 INT character that talks like a moron like in FO2? (other than the fact that they decided to voice the MC for whatever reason)

Why? Bethesda is following a path to success. Skyrim and Oblivion proved it.

Nobody has time for intricate conversation systems in their 200h epic.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So, the dialogue choices in Fallout will probably always be

"Tell me about yourself"
"I'm going to murder you"
"Let's resolve this in a friendly manner"
"Goodbye"

Great.
Grrrrrrrrrreat.

(other than the fact that they decided to voice the MC for whatever reason)

That's exactly why I'm always cautious when RPGs have voiced protagonists and why I didn't mind the sparce voice acting in Pillars of Eternity.
You either have everything voiced or you have intricate dialogue trees. Or a shitton of money to burn.

hamchan

Any excitement I feel for Fallout 4 comes from not playing a Bethesda game for the past 3 years and totally feeling like I could go for that sort of game again. Even with every game going open world these days the Bethesda open world still feels like its own unique thing.

We know it has bad graphics, it'll probably have bad writing and it'll be full of bugs in a hundred different ways at launch.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Reading that charisma has also become less useful really make me think that I should do that. My favorite thing to do in WRPGs has always been playing a high charisma character and playing with the dialogue system. That is just as important as good combat to me.

You totally need to play Divinty then. I am loving playing that game again. The controller stuff works pretty well if you want to play it that way, and you absolutely can do quite a bit by talking to people.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You totally need to play Divinty then. I am loving playing that game again. The controller stuff works pretty well if you want to play it that way, and you absolutely can do quite a bit by talking to people.

Divinity? Dialogue isn't really a huge factor in OS though, combat is the focus of that game. Something like Wasteland is much better suited for a "charisma run"

justjim89

Well, I've been telling myself I won't go the easy route by maximizing charisma and speech skills. Looks like that's been decided for me.

I am excited to play a new Bethesda game but its a bummer they haven't evolved the formula or the tech all that much. Pessimally with how old a lot of their formula is and seeing Bioware and CDProjekt take big left turns with their games both from a structural and a technical point of view.

The shooting looks decent in the leaked gameplay though but thats really something I need to try out and feel on my own

There's a specific point in Fallout 3 (I want to say when you meet your dad) when you realize that they didn't really want to think too hard about the rest of the story so everything just rushes forward in a straight line, possibly in the hopes that you won't stop to ask questions.

qgsnQmo.png

Xater

Divinity? Dialogue isn't really a huge factor in OS though, combat is the focus of that game. Something like Wasteland is much better suited for a "charisma run"

I have already played through Pillars and Wasteland 2 though. (also Witcher 3)

I actually already have Divinity on Steam but I am not happy with the Mac performance. That's why I was planning on getting that for cheap on PS4 later and Fallout 4 now. Also the Enhanced Edition might improve things on the Mac but I don't know for sure, because that port is not out yet.

The thing that mostly worries me about Fallout 4 is that there has been basically no coverage of it since E3. I guess it could be they have a ton of confidence in it, but that could also be a bad thing.

Xater

The thing that mostly worries me about Fallout 4 is that there has been basically no coverage of it since E3. I guess it could be they have a ton of confidence in it, but that could also be a bad thing.

Well I did see a demo at Gamescom. No idea if they made that public. It focused on the combat.

hamchan

Especially since Bethesda are drowning in money that they could use for marketing. It doesn't feel like the game is coming out in a week and a bit.

Patryn

Watching the NFL, I see tons of commercials for it.

I just get the sense that Bethesda is over the traditional games media. They know it'll sell on name alone.

Zaph

Watching the NFL, I see tons of commercials for it.

I just get the sense that Bethesda is over the traditional games media. They know it'll sell on name alone.

Yeah, I think Bethesda are now in that Rockstar/Blizzard/Activision group where they want to count sales in the tens of millions, not millions. Enthusiast press simply doesn't matter when you're flying that high.

Anything to do with the Enclave is a mess. I have no idea what their motivation is.

In Fallout 2, the Enclave are the remnants of the US government. They believe themselves to be the legitimate rulers of the world, and view all other humans except for those still in vaults to be genetically contaminated subhuman mutants. Throughout the game they capture and experiment on people to perfect a modified version of FEV (the virus that creates supermutants and other types of mutants) that will be released into the atmosphere and kill off all humans (except for the Enclave, who will inoculate themselves).

In Fallout 3, the Enclave are still around even after they got nuked and their leaders killed because there was a computer president backed up somewhere. Now they have another strain of FEV, only this one will only work if it's poured into a basin (a part of the Potomac), and the only way for people to drink from this one specific basin is to purify it with your dad's water purifier, which, there's a LOT of problems with this plan but okay. Anyway, this "kill everyone in this very specific locale for reasons" plan is only really by backed by Computer Prez, while Colonel Autumn thinks that's dumb and that if they just turn on the water (which everyone wants to turn on) then people will want to be the Enclave's subjects out of gratitude for giving them drinking water, which sounds perfectly reasonable so you have to fight them.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
In Fallout 2, the Enclave are the remnants of the US government. They believe themselves to be the legitimate rulers of the world, and view all other humans except for those still in vaults to be genetically contaminated subhuman mutants. Throughout the game they capture and experiment on people to perfect a modified version of FEV (the virus that creates supermutants and other types of mutants) that will be released into the atmosphere and kill off all humans (except for the Enclave, who will inoculate themselves).

In Fallout 3, the Enclave are still around even after they got nuked and their leaders killed because there was a computer president backed up somewhere. Now they have another strain of FEV, only this one will only work if it's poured into a basin (a part of the Potomac), and the only way for people to drink from this one specific basin is to purify it with your dad's water purifier, which, there's a LOT of problems with this plan but okay. Anyway, this "kill everyone in this very specific locale for reasons" plan is only really by backed by Computer Prez, while Colonel Autumn thinks that's dumb and that if they just turn on the water (which everyone wants to turn on) then people will want to be the Enclave's subjects out of gratitude for giving them drinking water, which sounds perfectly reasonable so you have to fight them.

Wasn't the bad option to kill all the humans but also the super mutants or something?

the problem with this is that even in the post-apocalypse, nobody will want to drink from the Potomac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom