• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

It's been a while since I did the Enclave quest in New Vegas but did Obsidian more or less ignore Fallout 3 during that quest?

Obsidian ignored all of Fallout 3, as I recall.

They pretty much just did a sequel to Fallout 2 and justified it by saying it's on the west coast.

It's been a while since I did the Enclave quest in New Vegas but did Obsidian more or less ignore Fallout 3 during that quest?

I want to say there's like one or two extremely minor references, but yeah, it's hilarious to go from Fallout 3 where your dad and the NPCs are acting like humanity is rolling around in the mud on the brink of destruction with no water, and then to New Vegas where there's multiple independent nations and cultures and the reason people are even congregating around a river is so that they can use a hydroelectric dam.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I want to say there's like two extremely minor references, but yeah, it's hilarious to go from Fallout 3 where your dad and the NPCs are acting like humanity is rolling around in the mud on the brink of destruction, and then to New Vegas where there's multiple independent nations and cultures.

I think you're right, they might mention the Washington Enclave at one point but the companion and his side quest were all about Navarro from Fallout 2.

Obsidian ignored all of Fallout 3, as I recall.

They pretty much just did a sequel to Fallout 2 and justified it by saying it's on the west coast.
I thought they did but wasn't sure, it's kind of funny if they ignored the Enclave being in FO3 when they went back to them in NV.

It's also funny how the ending of Fallout 3 is this massive battle between the Enclave and Brotherhood, but then New Vegas comes and it's all, "What, no, the Enclave was destroyed in Fallout 2 and the Brotherhood is continuing its inevitable slide into extinction as the NCR and other groups rise up."

justjim89

The only FO3 reference I've seen in NV is the badass hornet-helmed Enclave power armor you can find in a cave.

latest

It's also funny how the ending of Fallout 3 is this massive battle between the Enclave and Brotherhood, but then New Vegas comes and it's all, "What, no, the Enclave was destroyed in Fallout 2 and the Brotherhood is continuing its inevitable slide into extinction as the NCR and other groups rise up."

I assume Fallout 4 follows the Bethesda timeline rather than the NV timeline?

justjim89

I mean, I know that's Fallout 2 armor.Currently going through Fallout 2 myself for the first time. I just meant that armor being called Enclave armor is literally the only time I recall something making me think of FO3 in NV.

If Obsidian was developing Fallout 4 I would be more hyped for the game than anything ever. I'm still incredibly excited, but man New Vegas was such a incredible game.

I'm not invested in Fallout but I can definitely relate to how some are feeling about FO4 because it's similar to how I'm looking at Xenoblade X. They'll likely both end up being disappointing for fans or maybe that's just my negativity talking.

Dineren

Banned
I'm not invested in Fallout but I can definitely relate to how some are feeling about FO4 because it's similar to how I'm looking at Xenoblade X. They'll likely both end up being disappointing for fans or maybe that's just my negativity talking.

I have a feeling most Fallout fans will like FO4. Hell, I'm not even a big FO3 fan, but I'm looking forward to it simply because I enjoy most Bethesda RPGs and it has been four years since Skyrim released. There is nothing quite like them out there so even with their issues, I'll take what I can get. Though, it doesn't stop me from being nervous about the new dialogue system or disappointed by what I've seen of their environmental lighting and shadows.

I don't get why people are so worried about FO4.

I know right. You would think by some of the comments here and in the now locked screenshot thread that Bethesda murdered their pet or something.

Sure the dialogue system looks to be step back but can we not just wait and judge when the game comes out.

And lets also not base opinions off of shitty quality footage where we don't even the characters base stats.

I have a feeling most Fallout fans will like FO4. Hell, I'm not even a big FO3 fan, but I'm looking forward to it simply because I enjoy most Bethesda RPGs and it has been four years since Skyrim released. There is nothing quite like them out there so even with their issues, I'll take what I can get. Though, it doesn't stop me from being nervous about the new dialogue system or disappointed by what I've seen of their environmental lighting and shadows.

Yea, I'll say they like it too but that doesn't necessarily exclude disappointment. Even though I don't like Bethesda games at all, I see why others do so I highly doubt it will be a steaming pile of shit some people are saying it will be.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought Syndicate would be terrible and it turned out to be my second favorite AC of all time, so you never know how you'll feel about a game until you play it. Even when you think you know.

Xater

The dominant message I'm getting from all of this hubbub is that I should really just nut up and play Planescape Torment.

The writing in that game is great. From a gameplay perspective there are better Infinity Engine games. Definitely worth playing though.

FStop7

Banned
The anti hype for fallout is really interesting to me. It's like AAA games have finally jumped the shark.

I could never get into Fallout 3. The problem is that post-apocalyptic worlds are bleak and depressing by nature. Everything ruined and crumbling. Filthy people in rags, bandits in weird leather outfits. It's totally appropriate for the game, but I just find it to be drab and boring. I don't want to explore a dead world. Fallout 4 looks like yet more of the same.

The 50s educational film style humor is very corny, too. I cringe at it, tbh.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Skyrim, DA:O, DA:I, and the Witcher 2/3 because the worlds were alive.

Anjin M

This makes me want to actually try FNV.

Nero18

Vermintide was shown at our uni before it was announced as the companion app was one of the projects we could choose to work with as part of a course. They showed a trailer and i said to my friend (loud enough) "that game looks like garbage" not knowing one of the leading devs was sitting in the seat in front of us. Never felt that much shame, especially now that the game turned out decent. Karma i guess.

jgminto

All this Fallout talk is just reminding me how great the story of NV is. I have never reached the ending of a Bethesda game but I didn't stop playing until credits for NV, it was so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom