• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam screenshots display as being in 1440P and the framerate counter scales properly. Game seems to have literally no AA which might be why you think it's locked at 1080P.

Hm, ok yeah that sounds like it is. I'm trying to downsample 4K down to 1080 (because of the terrible AA you mentioned), so maybe the game isn't playing well with the nvidia DSR stuff. It's odd that the display options are there in the game if that's the case, though.

Zornack

I wonder if Galak-Z's change in design has anything to do with some of its shortcomings. If I remember correctly the game was going to have a linear story and level design until the designers got inspired by Spelunky late in development.

yami4ct

Wait, this is about Galak-Z? I had no idea.

I was under the impression it had a really extended development precisely to finish it...

Mechanically, the game is finished through Season 4. You can finish the whole story through that point. You then get a 'Season 5: Coming Soon' label on the main menu. I honestly didn't even know what that meant until I visited the OT. I thought I had to unlock it somehow. No where does it mention this DLC season 5 on the store page or in game. The story is very clearly not wrapped up. The writing is poor anyway, so it's not a reason to go to it, but the game is very clearly incomplete.

The game is also lacking any sort of extra modes like you'd expect from a rogue-lite. They've promised to add some, but there's no Daily Challenge, Time Attack, Challenge Mode, Endless mode, etc. All there is is the base game.

Technically, the game was also a complete mess. Frame rate drops everywhere, weird glitches with spawning enemies in walls, lots of hard crashes (For me, anyway) and other technical mishaps. The problem with hard crashes in that game is that it means you lose all your progress for the whole season, because you can't resume once you start an episode. It's awful and really unacceptable. I lost probably a good 2-3 hours of progress over the course of the game to hard crashes when I was playing near launch.

I love the game and it's really fun to play, but it was no where near ready at launch. I was shocked when I read all the reviews and saw no mentions of these various problems. I wouldn't have bought it at launch if I knew about this. I'm certainly not being any future 17-bit stuff until I read that they're actually finished products.

Ketch

I would like to take this moment to say I haven't experienced any technical issues with the game on PC outside of getting the DS4 to work at first (but that's common with many pc games, and is mostly due to the controller and not the games).

Ketch

I think PC players really got the benefit of us PS4 guys being unwitting beta testers.

This is exactly why I haven't bought a console yet this generation. Not that I don't want to, but I just can't afford to drop that money and then get ripped off on games that'll mostly be out on PC after awhile anyway.

yami4ct

Alright, I understand the complaints. The Season 5 thing in particular is baffling.

Thanks for the info, yami!

I want to say again, I loved the game despite all this. I think the way it was managed is unacceptable, but the base product is great and absolutely worth playing. This is doubly true if the PC version is bug-free like it sounds. It's definitely in my Top 10 this year.

This is exactly why I haven't bought a console yet this generation. Not that I don't want to, but I just can't afford to drop that money and then get ripped off on games that'll mostly be out on PC after awhile anyway.

FWIW, Galak-Z is the first time I've felt like this on console. A lot of games don't run as well as on PC, but this is the first instance where I actually felt I was being sold a beta product masquerading as a finished game.

Teddified

I really hope they talk about Batman AK PC on the podcast. At the least read what WB wrote on steam about the whole refunds till the end of the year.

I want to say again, I loved the game despite all this. I think the way it was managed is unacceptable, but the base product is great and absolutely worth playing. This is doubly true if the PC version is bug-free like it sounds. It's definitely in my Top 10 this year.

FWIW, Galak-Z is the first time I've felt like this on console. A lot of games don't run as well as on PC, but this is the first instance where I actually felt I was being sold a beta product masquerading as a finished game.
Yeah, I don't mean to say it's a bad game, just that the development is a bummer. I don't personally want to get Galak-Z, but I love the concept they have going. More mechs is always a Very Good Thing™.

danm999

I really hope they talk about Batman AK PC on the podcast. At the least read what WB wrote on steam about the whole refunds till the end of the year.

Brad mentioned reading a Digital Foundry article on UPF that basically said WB largely hasn't fixed shit so I expect he'll bring it up in news this week on the podcast.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Brad mentioned reading a Digital Foundry article on UPF that basically said WB largely hasn't fixed shit so I expect he'll bring it up in news this week on the podcast.

WB's statement also says they aren't going to be able to fix some things. They haven't elaborated yet on what that means though.

yami4ct

Yeah, I don't mean to say it's a bad game, just that the development is a bummer. I don't personally want to get Galak-Z, but I love the concept they have going. More mechs is always a Very Good Thing™.

More Gundam/Macross/Space Battleship Yamato inspired games would very much be a good thing. That's why I got sucked into it. I also happened to like the asteroids style gameplay as well.

My love for that genre of anime is why the writing was such a disappointment too. It's not a good version of those stories, but it isn't a parody either. It's just feels like a bunch of nerdy pop-culture references stuck together. It's actually pretty damn obnoxious. It's sad, because there's so much you can do with a Macross x SBY story.

TraBuch

Banned
Wanna know why you should watch wrestling?

tumblr_nx7vewMTMZ1u1ljrzo1_1280.png

santeesioux

I really wish I had waited for Persona 5 to come out to pull the trigger on my PS4. I get some use out of renting games I don't want to buy with it, but other than that there hasn't been any games on it that I can't get on the PC yet that has made it worth the 400 I spent on it.

I'm an idiot though because I'm thinking about getting an Xbone on BF just to get back into the Halo games and maybe Sunset Overdrive.

Zekes!

I haven't had any issues with Galak-Z outside of a few framerate drops when shit was really popping off.

I will agree that the game feels rather barebones, not to mention the missing season 5. The base game they have created is really great though. It might just sneak into my top 10 of the year, but it definitely could have used some more polish. You look at something like the loading screen going into missions and notice that it's rather half-assed and lazy given the aesthetic they're going for.

danm999

I really wish I had waited for Persona 5 to come out to pull the trigger on my PS4. I get some use out of renting games I don't want to buy with it, but other than that there hasn't been any games on it that I can't get on the PC yet that has made it worth the 400 I spent on it.

I want to play Bloodborne and Until Dawn, but not enough to buy a console. Otherwise I feel like I'm missing nothing sticking to PC only. Persons 5 will likely change that.

TraBuch

Banned
I wanna download all of the FMVinny segments from UPF and cut them out and combine them into one video, what's the best free program to do that with?

I wanted to play MGO on PC. ˚‧º·(˚ ˃̣̣̥᷄⌓˂̣̣̥᷅ )‧º·˚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom