• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Are people in casual circles even still talking about Candy Crush?

I'm not mocking, I'm honestly wondering. That stuff always feels like it has a 1 month zeitgeist.

I don't hear much about it any more. Honestly, there never was much to talk about it other than the money it was making. We are talking about a Bejeweled clone with the addiction treadmill bolted on top.

daydream

Banned
so extra life streams happening from thursday to monday suggests that there will probably be four streams, right?

once again proving that extra life requires me to get an extra life to watch all of it

I'm not mocking, I'm honestly wondering. That stuff always feels like it has a 1 month zeitgeist.

people in my family play it, but none of them actually spend money on it (though it does have ads, I guess)

erawsd

The Candy Crush games are still 3 and 4 for top grossing Apps so I imagine there's definitely people still talking about it and spending a ton of money on them.

Tan

I don't know if anyone's talking about it but I still see people on public transit playing it pretty consistently.

Tucah

you speak so well
Extra Life really snuck up on me this year, I'm excited to see what their plans are/tune in at all hours of the day and night this weekend.

Sucks that I have a busy weekend during Extra Life again, won't be able to catch much of it. And for some reason I find the prospect of watching those videos after the fact very daunting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Listening to the drinking question on dnaswers as someone who doesn't really drink, and if I'm in a social situation with heavy drinkers I never really feel pressured beyond the one beer/cider/glass of whiskey I usually order, I kind of don't understand the need to pretend you're drinking in those situations.

Jintor

Listening to the drinking question on dnaswers as someone who doesn't really drink, and if I'm in a social situation with heavy drinkers I never really feel pressured beyond the one beer/cider/glass of whiskey I usually order, I kind of don't understand the need to pretend you're drinking in those situations.

weirdly I feel like my experience of australian drinking culture has insulated me from peer pressure drinking

Antiwhippy

I've definitely been with people in that culture, though the only time I've ever felt like I was somewhat pressure was just because the people I was with, who knew I don't really drink, wanted to test my limits a bit, and even then I just stopped before I felt slightly more buzzed than usual, let alone drunk.

I dunno, I do like alcohol for the flavour and for cooking. Never felt the desire to be drunk. Though I've never actually been drunk.

Joeku

Being drunk is fun, being too drunk is fucking terrible

https://youtu.be/r0U0AlLVqpk?t=12s

Also I've finally gone back to the Need for Speed review topic where I mistakenly got into a shitfight about Jeff hating on his job and games and life, wherein I posted the crew's reaction to the recent Wild video. But nobody replied to me. Can I take this as an Internet Victory or should I not get my medal printed yet?

Joeku

I thought Australians were the biggest drinkers in the world until I lived in London hoo boy.

Similarly, I thought the Canadian reputation of chugging beer like it's water was true until I got to New York and saw the prices of beer and booze were literally half that of Canada. Then I met some New Yorkers and realized how casual casual drinking is really is.

Antiwhippy

Being drunk is fun, being too drunk is fucking terrible

Sure, I understand that, and people can have their fun responsibly, I just don't understand wanting to pretend to be in that culture. Set your limit, then stop. No need to pretend that you can keep on drinking.

I guess I just don't understand bar culture.

tuxfool

Banned
https://youtu.be/r0U0AlLVqpk?t=12s

Also I've finally gone back to the Need for Speed review topic where I mistakenly got into a shitfight about Jeff hating on his job and games and life, wherein I posted the crew's reaction to the recent Wild video. But nobody replied to me. Can I take this as an Internet Victory or should I not get my medal printed yet?

I don't think so. I think once you got into that argument, everyone involved was a loser.

Really looking forward to Extra Life streams this year! I watched an unhealthy amount live last year.

Yes it's a victory but your medal has been revoked for posting in there in the first place.

danm999

Oh wowowow a new Star Trek TV series? I must have missed that. Dan might have been caught up with all the series by then (I'd skip Voyager and Enterprise myself...)

Joeku

I don't think so. I think once you got into that argument, everyone involved was a loser.

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but if nobody fights back, I'd say that's not an argument.

Also, for the purpose of raising the collective quality of the average internet user, I try to make points against loserdom. I cannot force people to learn to be better, though, much as I wish I could. Being critical and skeptical are valid as all hell, but blind shitting is a useless endeavor.

Oh wowowow a new Star Trek TV series? I must have missed that. Dan might have been caught up with all the series by then (I'd skip Voyager and Enterprise myself...)

Yeah. And it's exclusive to CBS' premium service, CBS All-Access. The premiere episode will be available on regular CBS and All-Access, but all subsequent episodes will debut on All-Access. There is no indication if they will ever air anywhere else. I wonder how many computer illiterate people will watch on CBS and be confused when the show does not continue. They might simply think it was cancelled. Not sure what CBS is thinking here, especially with a franchise like Star Trek.

Antiwhippy

Yeah. And it's exclusive to CBS' premium service, CBS All-Access. The premiere episode will be available on regular CBS and All-Access, but all subsequent episodes will debut on All-Access. There is no indication if they will ever air anywhere else. I wonder how many computer illiterate people will watch on CBS and be confused when the show does not continue. They might simply think it was cancelled. Not sure what CBS is thinking here.

Eh, in the era of netflix, would making a series online exclusive be all that weird? Especially assuming that trekkies are mostly tech literate.

My guess?

Broadcast TV is dying. We need to follow the Netflix model, what popular properties do we have to drive demand.

The thing is, yes, we're going towards a cable-free a la carte future, but I fear it will end up costing us more in the end. Buy this and buy that. It all adds up. Before you realize it, cable will start looking more attractive. YUCK! What they should do is put it online both paid and free. The free could come a week later and have traditional commercials. Then down the line, it could be aired on TV for the people who are traditional television watchers.

Eh, in the era of netflix, would making a series online exclusive be all that weird? Especially assuming that trekkies are mostly tech literate.

No. But like I said above, I wonder if cord-cutters might start reverting if things start becoming more expensive than it previously was with cable. What I would hope to see (as unlikely as this would be) is cable companies pressured into providing better options more cheaply, if possible.

Joeku

Yeah. And it's exclusive to CBS' premium service, CBS All-Access. The premiere episode will be available on regular CBS and All-Access, but all subsequent episodes will debut on All-Access. There is no indication if they will ever air anywhere else. I wonder how many computer illiterate people will watch on CBS and be confused when the show does not continue. They might simply think it was cancelled. Not sure what CBS is thinking here, especially with a franchise like Star Trek.

Well, it's pretty clearly going to be set in the new universe without the tone or budget or actors of the new movies, so it's probably going to be a laughable exercise in smarmy, shitty sci-fi anyway. It probably won't last all that long.

I would LOVE to be wrong, cuz I want a new pseudo-anthology sci-fi spaceship series. I just don't think modern CBS is capable of it unless they get some great showrunners. The well for "fun" high-end sci-fi tv has been poisoned with the uber-serious overarching stories of Lost and BSG and Fringe.

I'd really relish a great anthology show again. I should finally get around to watching Black Mirror.

And as far as this goes, I would assume the major American networks think internationally. The mostly American services aren't available with the same distribution of content worldwide (unlike on actual TV and the licensing therein) and plenty of shows are worldwide hits, not just US ones. I've never known Star Trek to be a solely American thing, but I couldn't imagine either of the two major exclusively Canadian streaming services (Crave or Shomi) getting a major, currently-airing CBS property exclusively in 2015. I'm not sure that relegating it to internet services would quite work yet.

DOUBLE EDIT: And then if they put an internet-only-in-America show on cable or network proper in most other markets, what was the point to begin with? I see no reason a new Star Trek couldn't be slotted in on some weeknight on CBS.

danm999

And as far as this goes, I would assume the major American networks think internationally. The mostly American services aren't available with the same distribution of content worldwide (unlike on actual TV and the licensing therein) and plenty of shows are worldwide hits, not just US ones. I've never known Star Trek to be a solely American thing, but I couldn't imagine either of the two major exclusively Canadian streaming services (Crave or Shomi) getting a major, currently-airing CBS property exclusively in 2015. I'm not sure that relegating it to internet services would quite work yet.

Oh it's going to be absolutely fucked outside the US.

So much of the industry internationally still conforms to physical distribution paradigms that don't make sense in the digital age. Watch VPN use soar.

Joeku

Oh it's going to be absolutely fucked outside the US.

So much of the industry internationally still conforms to physical distribution paradigms that don't make sense in the digital age. Watch VPN use soar.

Well, I suppose there's nothing stopping it from being on network or cable outside the US, cuz that would help slightly with piracy and dramatically with viewership, but again: why even not make it network in the US?

CSI: Cyber cannot possibly continue to exist, can it? Is America The Viewtiful that stupid?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Half a billion people monthly, according to Bobby:

"With a combined global network of more than half a billion monthly active users, our potential to reach audiences around the world on the device of their choosing enables us to deliver great games to even bigger audiences than ever before," said Activision Blizzard Chief Executive Bobby Kotick.

edit: That's Activision Blizzard and King combined.

Zoggy

friday:gbeast 24 hours
saturday: brad at home
sunday: jeff dan drew rorie
alexis ian and jason
in the cbsi offices

hopefully

Zaph

Just hope it ain't all boring solo streams from home. Magic happens when they're in the studio and slowly succumbing to madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom