• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Oh, that is you! We are Steam friends and you're better than me on every damn track, always very far up on the leaderboard. You and one Codemasters dev are the bane of my Dirt existence.

I also made a video once, mostly to test OBS, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPiZZ4Trp30

That was a good run ^ especially with a controller. Every time I tried to play with my controller I couldn't handle it at all.

Any of the good times I set were usually as a result of dozens of attempts to try and get the best time I could. I think the day before I set that pikes peak time, I had restarted the stage for any little mistake at least a hundred times, which probably isn't a healthy way to play video games.

I really need to get back to it, as I haven't played in months and they added so much stuff in the meantime. I'm just so lazy about setting up my wheel to play.

And the "angry" shtick is the most tired, played-out shit in the world.

do you think we're approaching saturation yet? is that possible? when will we hit the point where it becomes the "cool" thing to not be a total dickhead? will I die before then?

FStop7

Banned
Angry Joe threads are always a little perplexing to me because Joe is not a good critic. He's just loud. And the "angry" shtick is the most tired, played-out shit in the world.

Also using hour count as a metric of anything other than length, like say quality, is stupid and reductive. If the campaign was disappointing, say why. If you hate the ending because it's a cliffhanger or whatever, would that ending have been better if there were 5 more filler Locke missions that don't amount to anything?

Absolutely. But in the thread there are a bunch of people trying to tear down his criticism of the game because he supposedly played it on Normal. "He didn't play it how it was meant to be played!"

That Halo 5 / Angry Joe thread... so many people using the "Heroic is how it's meant to be played" line. Jeff's response to that sentiment is the best.

I always assumed it was set to a lower difficulty by default because the majority of people who buy games don't finish/struggle with them which is something that's probably backed up by focus testing? I don't see how setting something as the default difficulty is any better that including text saying it's the difficulty the game's designed around.

I don't give a hoot about Halo 5 or Joe, but I always thought it was a pretty pedantic argument from Jeff. It just seems like an excuse to play on a lower difficulty because he doesn't enjoy the kind of challenge Halo games offer.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dan is a wrestling dickhead, not an I'm angry and videogames dickhead.

There will always be dickheads in wrestling.

Dan also isn't even close to that kind of dickhead in wrestling. He's mostly okay with everything that goes on, even when it's just demonstrably terrible and pointless.

Phediuk

His stuff has always been really obnoxious though. I never got the appeal.

Most of his success is due to him being the first Youtuber in his niche who had some actual production skills. He was right there when social media first took off and also came on the cusp of the retrogaming boom. If he'd arrived even one year later, I doubt he would be nearly as famous.

hamchan

Most Disappointing 2015: Tony Hawk 5 vs. Need for Speed vs. Hotline Miami 2 vs. Gat Out of Hell, go!

Tony Hawk 5 wins so easily.

NFS has mostly been bad for the past decade.

Hotline Miami 2 gets second place.

Gat out of Hell is DLC and there seems to be less expectations for DLC.

Zaph

I don't give a hoot about Halo 5 or Joe, but I always thought it was a pretty pedantic argument from Jeff. It just seems like an excuse to play on a lower difficulty because he doesn't enjoy the kind of challenge Halo games offer.

I always played Halo on Heroic, but nah I disagree. Plenty of games have their 'Normal' description read along the lines of "for people experienced playing shooters" which makes it clear you will be challenged and that's intended. Halo could make heroic normal and say something like that. If Bungie/343/MS don't want to commit to their balancing, that's on them.

Xater

Most Disappointing 2015: Tony Hawk 5 vs. Need for Speed vs. Hotline Miami 2 vs. Gat Out of Hell, go!

HM2 doesn't belong on this list.

People had expectations for Gat out of Hell despite it being developed by High Voltage?

Tony Hawk got this btw.

Woah ho ho, hey now, what is this? We don't like Hotline Miami 2? What was wrong, I thought it was a ton of fun

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NFS just seems super duper rushed

like most EA games these days. Like I said, I wonder how much longer the franchise has left.

Tubobutts

Dan also isn't even close to that kind of dickhead in wrestling. He's mostly okay with everything that goes on, even when it's just demonstrably terrible and pointless.

I meant more that he is a wrestling style dickhead rather than an I'm on the Internet and am angry because video games style one.

kAmui-

Sure HM2 wasn't as good as I hoped, but it's still a solid game and I wouldn't go as far as to call it most disappointing game of the year. And who expected anything from Tony Hawk 5? Then again I'm sure nobody expected it to be THAT bad. Could Rock Band 4 be added to this discussion?

hamchan

Woah ho ho, hey now, what is this? We don't like Hotline Miami 2? What was wrong, I thought it was a ton of fun

I didn't find it that fun. Felt very much like it was a chore to play and I absolutely love the first game. Had high expectations for it and it fell way short, so I think it qualifies for the category.

Alex's 3/5 review for it on the site is pretty much what I think of it, I recommend a read of it.

Considering Jeff was talking about Rock Band 3 being just behind Burnout Paradise for Game of the Generation, I'm gonna say RB4 has a pretty good shot at most disappointing.

Xater

Sure HM2 wasn't as good as I hoped, but it's still a solid game and I wouldn't go as far as to call it most disappointing game of the year. And who expected anything from Tony Hawk 5? Then again I'm sure nobody expected it to be THAT bad. Could Rock Band 4 be added to this discussion?

I didn't expect Tony Hawk to be a masterpiece, but they managed to produce something even worse than my low expectations. Rock Band is more Rock Band which I feel is ok for what it is.

I really hope Criterion's game ends up being good. Otherwise all my hopes for a great new Burnout-ish game lies with the new studio that Ward and Sperry started.

Xater

I really hope Criterion's game ends up being good. Otherwise all my hopes for a great new Burnout-ish game lies with the new studio that Ward and Sperry started.

Whatever Criterion is working on does not seem like a straight up arcade racer. Also the team is so small that my expectations are not particularly high. Whatever the new studio with Ward is cooking up is more interesting to me.

Whatever Criterion is working on does not seem like a straight up arcade racer. Also the team is so small that my expectations are not particularly high. Whatever the new studio with Ward is cooking up is more interesting to me.

My hope is that the Criterion game is Burnout but with multiple types of vehicles. You're probably right though that it's such a gutted and small studio that expectations should be modest.

don't force the ex-criterion guys to keep chasing that burnout dream

No one is forcing them to. They hinted they'd make a game like that. Chances are they love that style of game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing about THPS 5 is

If you go into it expecting a Robomodo quality game, it's STILL a disappointment. I actually finished THPS HD despite its many, many, many problems and it being an bad game. THPS 5 disgusted me in so many unusual ways that I couldn't even make it past the third level

People knew that THPS5 wasn't gonna be anywhere near as good as the other games. Don't think anyone was expecting it to be as abysmally bad as it was though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The thing about THPS 5 is

If you go into it expecting a Robomodo quality game, it's STILL a disappointment. I actually finished THPS HD despite its many, many, many problems. THPS 5 disgusted me in so many unusual ways that I couldn't even make it past the third level

THPS 5 was stunningly bad and I expected total garbage since the very first screenshot. I expected complete shit and somehow still they failed to meet that lofty expectation. Robomodo only wishes they could have released a complete shit game in THPS5. If just it were complete shit, they could have been proud of it. But that was too much to ask.

THPS5 made me found hope and joy that I didn't realize I had left, and managed to crush it immediately. If that's not most disappointing I don't know what is.

hamchan

That 5 in THPS5 adds a lot of expectations and drags up a lot of nostalgia for the old games. It's like Activision just had to crap on the series one last time in the worst way possible.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Batman: Arkham Knight, thanks for playing. No one in their right mind expected TH5 to be good. Personally I'm not even surprised it's a trash fire.

Arkham Knight, though. Man. Talk about a game snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Leaving aside the PC port, even. I had super low expectations for that game going in because I thought the Batmobile looked lame and everyone and their mother knew who the Knight was the moment he was revealed. BUT! The game actually turned me. I liked the Batmobile at first and by god, the story had SO MUCH PROMISE. A Batman who's an unreliable narrator? The whole time I was playing the game I was questioning what was even real. But it went absolutely nowhere, and the Batmobile became overused to the point of comedy. When you're relegating Deathstroke, one of the most skilled hand-to-hand combatants to face Batman, to a boss battle that takes place entirely in the car and is a copy-paste of a boss fight against the Knight (who is also an able fighter who can match Batman), you know you done fucked up. I've seldom seen a game waste so much narrative and gameplay potential. It's a tragedy. There's an amazing story and an amazing game in there that they steered away from at every possible turn, seemingly.

/rant

Can Tony Hawk be the most disappointing game when everyone expected it to be trash?

I'd go with Arkham Knight.

Even if we forget the PC mess that game was a real bummer.

hamchan

Batman: Arkham Knight, thanks for playing. No one in their right mind expected TH5 to be good. Personally I'm not even surprised it's a trash fire.

Arkham Knight, though. Man. Talk about a game snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Leaving aside the PC port, even. I had super low expectations for that game going in because I thought the Batmobile looked lame and everyone and their mother knew who the Knight was the moment he was revealed. BUT! The game actually turned me. I liked the Batmobile at first and by god, the story had SO MUCH PROMISE. A Batman who's an unreliable narrator? The whole time I was playing the game I was questioning what was even real. But it went absolutely nowhere, and the Batmobile became overused to the point of comedy. When you're relegating Deathstroke, one of the most skilled hand-to-hand combatants to face Batman, to a boss battle that takes place entirely in the car and is a copy-paste of a boss fight against the Knight (who is also an able fighter who can match Batman), you know you done fucked up. I've seldom seen a game waste so much narrative and gameplay potential. It's a tragedy. There's an amazing story and an amazing game in there that they steered away from at every possible turn, seemingly.

/rant

I actually loved Arkham Knight the whole way through the story until they made you finish all the sidequests if you wanted to watch the ending (which was bad, I watched it on youtube).

mintyice

Gat Out of Hell was this year? Felt like it came out in 2013 or something

Anth0ny

they don't even have to do a "Hottest Mess" category this year.

it's so obvious what the winner is that there's no point

at least last year you had the epic battle between

o30d1i6.jpg

and

VygUX7n.jpg

kAmui-

I thought Arkham Knight was incredible when it worked. Sadly it didn't work that well. And still doesn't. I can run MGSV on mostly ultra settings. I can run The Witcher 3 on medium to high settings. I still can't run Arkham Knight reliably even on low settings.

I don't have fun with Halo if I don't play at least on Heroic. Legendary is even better. Played all of them Legendary first run. They do high difficulty really well.

daydream

Banned
will definitely post the bombcast thread tonight, might not happen the second it drops but i will check in periodically. so sit tight, i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom