• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjin M

As long as I'm posting review numbers, here is what I collected for 2014 and 2015:
Code:
Reviewer	2014	2015
Alex Navarro	18	5
Austin Walker	0	4
Brad Shoemaker	5	3
Dan Ryckert	5	3
Jeff Gerstmann	10	10
Matt Rorie	1	0
Patrick Klepek	9	0

Xater

As long as I'm posting review numbers, here is what I collected for 2014 and 2015:
Code:
Reviewer	2014	2015
Alex Navarro	18	5
Austin Walker	0	4
Brad Shoemaker	5	3
Dan Ryckert	5	3
Jeff Gerstmann	10	10
Matt Rorie	1	0
Patrick Klepek	9	0

Big drop for Alex, but he is now actually involved in way more video content.

Holy shit I totally forgot that Evolve is a game that came out this year. Yikes.

Don't worry, so did most people.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Code:
Reviewer	2014	2015
Alex Navarro	18	5
Austin Walker	0	4
Brad Shoemaker	5	3
Dan Ryckert	5	3
Jeff Gerstmann	10	10
Matt Rorie	1	0
Patrick Klepek	9	0

Klepek is such a slacker. Just posting on his blog and making youtube videos all day long.

Xater

I bet he'll be bummed about the amount of Zombies stuff that seems to be in there.

Unlike the GB crew I actually enjoy the zombie mode, so I am actually getting the game this year. I played AW but it couldn't hold my interest with just the normal MP. I am mostly looking forward to coop campaign and zombies when it comes to Black Ops 3.

KingKong

I've been watching Mary and Alexa play the new Tomb Raider and it looks even more gamified than last time. They added crafting because every game must have crafting now.

Just looking at this makes me not want to play it
WqiIjVg.png

Xater

I've been watching Mary and Alexa play the new Tomb Raider and it looks even more gamified than last time. They added crafting because every game must have crafting now.

WqiIjVg.png

Oh just look at all this collectible bullshit while the "tombs" are still going to be crap.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

But Minecraft was a huge success! EVERY GAME MUST DO EVERYTHING THAT WAS POPULAR!

I was completely turned off from Fallout 4 with their crafting announcement. I was at least open to trying it out (I don't think Skyrim was good but it was a fine diversion at a cheap price) until that was the only thing they had to show off.

Do you think "Konami" could qualify for hottest mess?

"Please Stop" would be a better category but I guess they already stopped.

But Minecraft was a huge success! EVERY GAME MUST DO EVERYTHING THAT WAS POPULAR!

I was completely turned off from Fallout 4 with their crafting announcement. I was at least open to trying it out (I don't think Skyrim was good but it was a fine diversion at a cheap price) until that was the only thing they had to show off.

Slyrim had some some crafting and potion making stuff.

But it was so buried and off to one side that no one really messed with it. Fallout 4 just seems to be building off that but with guns.

I love gun customization stuff so the crafting announcement for Fallout 4 is a huge draw for me. Fallout 3 had crafting as well (or was it NV, or both?)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I love gun customization stuff so the crafting announcement for Fallout 4 is a huge draw for me. Fallout 3 had crafting as well.

Fallout 3 had crafting (it was bad, but it was there) for a handful of weapons. The Fallout 4 reveal made it not only seem like crafting was a huge focus (along with the house designer stuff, which I also could not possibly want less in that game), but that you needed to find a lot more specific bullshit around the world to do that crafting.

Code:
Reviewer	2014	2015
Alex Navarro	18	5
Austin Walker	0	4
Brad Shoemaker	5	3
Dan Ryckert	5	3
Jeff Gerstmann	10	10
Matt Rorie	1	0
Patrick Klepek	9	0

Oh man, you (plus the Brad Muir episode of Danswers) just made me realize I could practice SQL making databases for stuff like this.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
LOL Evolve, no one remembers it. they fucked it up so much especially with all those microtransactions.

I fully expect zero lessons to have been learned and imagine we will see more of those microtransactions in ...uh...Battleborn? 2k's moba shooter that isn't Gigantic and also isn't Over whatever that Blizzard is doing. You know, all of those super memorable games that have done a great job of differentiating themselves.

edit: Overwatch. That's it. Overwatch. Not Overload. Or Firewatch, for that matter.

Xater

I fully expect zero lessons to have been learned and imagine we will see more of those microtransactions in ...uh...Battleborn? 2k's moba shooter that isn't Gigantic and also isn't Over whatever that Blizzard is doing. You know, all of those super memorable games that have done a great job of differentiating themselves.

edit: Overwatch. That's it. Overwatch. Not Overload. Or Firewatch, for that matter.

Overwatch isn't a moba shooter though. It's just TF2 with way more classes but they call them heroes.

From what I have played it's ok. I didn't hate it, but I also not looking forward to it or anything.

I love gun customization stuff so the crafting announcement for Fallout 4 is a huge draw for me. Fallout 3 had crafting as well (or was it NV, or both?)

The gun customization is the most interesting thing I've heard about Fallout 4. I want it to be really granular, though, and not like "Put a scope on it? Yes/No".

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Overwatch isn't a moba shooter though. It's just TF2 with way more classes but they call them heroes.

From what I have played it's ok. I didn't hate it, but I also not looking forward to it or anything.

None of those games have gotten bad receptions from what I've seen, they just all blend into one big generic vaguely cartoonish mess. Gigantic looks like the prettiest vaguely cartoonish mess, but if you showed me screens of characters from those three games I have a hard time believing I'd be able to guess which is which. Overwatch and Battleborn are thrown in together just by virtue of their two amazingly generic names and being multiplayer shooters.

tuxfool

Banned
None of those games have gotten bad receptions from what I've seen, they just all blend into one big generic vaguely cartoonish mess. Gigantic looks like the prettiest vaguely cartoonish mess, but if you showed me screens of characters from those three games I have a hard time believing I'd be able to guess which is which. Overwatch and Battleborn are thrown in together just by virtue of their two amazingly generic names and being multiplayer shooters.

Don't worry. Epic is here to save the day with Paragon. Then there is CiffyB with LawBreakers, lets also not forget Paladins from HiRez.

Current tally:

Overwatch
Battleborn
Paragon
LawBreakers
Paladins
Team Fortress 2
BattleCry?

Am I missing anything?

Xater

Overwatch design is very much Blizzard to me. Gearbox could not design something interesting looking to safe their life.

I couldn't tell you anything about Gigantic.

Xater

Isn't Lawbreakers just a Unreal Tournament type game? Why is it being grouped with the moba-ish shooters?

To my knowledge the only one of these with MOBA elements is Battleborn. Unless having heroes instead of just couple of classes immediately makes it a moba shooter, but I wouldn't agree with that.

Kind of weird how they're letting hours of Tomb Raider footage out, yet not letting anyone says anything definitive about the game. Anyone know when embargo breaks on it?

StoveOven

Banned
Don't worry. Epic is here to save the day with Paragon. Then there is CiffyB with LawBreakers, lets also not forget Paladins from HiRez.

Current tally:

Overwatch
Battleborn
Paragon
LawBreakers
Paladins
Team Fortress 2
BattleCry?

Am I missing anything?

How many of those are hobby-grade?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Current tally:

Overwatch
Battleborn
Paragon
LawBreakers
Paladins
Team Fortress 2
BattleCry?

Am I missing anything?

OOOOH RIGHT. I thought Epic was doing Battleborn. Is it Gearbox

What moba elements are these? Creeps?

I think the newly minted term for these games is Hero Shooter.

Battleborn has a moba mode with creeps and pushing lanes for map control along with distinct classes that level up individually in each session to upgrade their standard abilities and ultimate. It's moba as fuck. The per-game progression happens in single player missions too, but they aren't structured like a moba match.

mintyice

Current tally:

Overwatch
Battleborn
Paragon
LawBreakers
Paladins
Team Fortress 2
BattleCry?

Am I missing anything?

Minus TF2, these are literally all the same game in my mind.

I constantly get Overwatch, Battleborn, and BattleCry mixed up in my head.

AcridMeat

Banned
I completely forgot BattleCry was a thing. That's Bethesda isn't it?
It does have character abilities though, and "ultimates". It's closer to Dirty Bomb than TF2 honestly. Though payload and the healing beams were ripped straight from TF2.

It's BattleCry BattleBorn and Gigantic which have the glaring similarities with one another for me. However I at least know the differences between BBorn and Gigantic. I can't tell you a single thing about BattleCry other than the art style looking similar.

Anjin M

Oh man, you (plus the Brad Muir episode of Danswers) just made me realize I could practice SQL making databases for stuff like this.
If you'd like me to send you my spreadsheet with all of the review data, let me know. :)

Overwatch design is very much Blizzard to me.
The one thing I like about Overwatch is that it is very Blizzard like, but also a wholly new thing for them. I'm so happy to see something that's not just Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo out of that company.

WqiIjVg.png

Smart to compartmentalize collectibles. Less daunting than 100 feathers or hundreds of orbs.

Xater

Regarding the review numbers: I think they should stay low. Leave more time on the site for Video Content.

I don#t mind them not reviewing as many games. I mean we get to hear their opinion on lots of games on the podcast. That's usually enough for me.

Bethesda has expressed "concern" about BattleCry.

It's basically already as good as cancelled.

What they have shown at E3 did not look great.

Ken

Vermintide looks fun, but the darkness of everything was killing my ability to track stuff on screen. Half the time I had no idea what I was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom