• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
The game is GOTY if you ignore 60% of it!

critics-choice-jennifer-lawrence-gifs-19.gif

Dragon

Banned
I'd rather rewatch all of Castlevania 3 than watch Life is Strange. I have zero interest in watching somebody play a game where the player isn't actually making significant gameplay decisions.

You make plenty of significant decisions during the course of each episode.

Heimbeck

Banned
it's all good.

I was just responding to that poster because I don't think a game should be GOTY if you have to forget about over half the game.

Personally I think all the episodes are great, I would agree that 3 and 4 are my favorite episodes though.

LiK

I'd rather rewatch all of Castlevania 3 than watch Life is Strange. I have zero interest in watching somebody play a game where the player isn't actually making significant gameplay decisions.

you don't either in 90% of other games, what's the difference? just enjoy the story and commentary.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
you don't either in 90% of other games, what's the difference? just enjoy the story and commentary.

Skill matters and effects what you see for most of those 90% of games. Gameplay itself is a gameplay decision in most games. It doesn't make any impact here. I don't want to and won't watch somebody play through a brand new game that has nothing to offer other than story.

Megasoum

Banned
Jeff's tweeting about PS4 difficulties.

Guessing he's doing the Fallout 4 review. If so, it's interesting that Bethesda sent PS4 copies. Thought Microsoft had the marketing deals for it.

He's been playing Fallout 4 on PSN for a couple of days now.

LiK

Skill matters and effects what you see for most of those 90% of games. It doesn't make any impact here. I don't want to and won't watch somebody play through a brand new game that has nothing to offer other than story.

hey, admit it. you liked Contradiction Playdate!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
hey, admit it. you liked Contradiction Playdate!

That doesn't count for arbitrary reasons I've decided. That's effectively a point and click adventure game and I'll never play one of those games myself so it doesn't matter. If I had zero interest in ever playing Life is Strange myself my opinion would probably be different, because nothing would be lost from watching them play it. As it stands though I'll just probably never play Life is Strange, so I'm not watching the videos as to not close that option.

LiK

That doesn't count for arbitrary reasons I've decided. That's effectively a point and click adventure game and I'll never play one of those games myself so it doesn't matter. If I had zero interest in ever playing Life is Strange myself my opinion would probably be different, because nothing would be lost from watching them play it.

there we go ;)

Skill matters and effects what you see for most of those 90% of games. Gameplay itself is a gameplay decision in most games. It doesn't make any impact here. I don't want to and won't watch somebody play through a brand new game that has nothing to offer other than story.

So between LiS, Phantasmagoria. Until Dawn, Contradiction, you havent seen any of it? Its all great content.

I mean personally, the last thing i care about in my LPers is how skilled they are at a game.

Edit: i look dumb now.

Dragon

Banned

44l4WGmYonpyrDL6sD-x8HEYPcLC40fyqt7Q8chClw8

Mmm...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So between LiS, Phantasmagoria. Until Dawn, Contradiction, you havent seen any of it? Its all great content.

I mean personally, the last thing i care about in my LPers is how skilled they are at a game.

Edit: i look dumb now.

Actually I only watched about 15 minutes of Until Dawn for the same reasons that I stopped during the first Life is Strange stream. And I'll super never play Until Dawn because I don't care about horror stories, but I still didn't want to watch it. The others I watched because of the point and click thing.

LiK

Actually I only watched about 15 minutes of Until Dawn for the same reasons that I stopped during the first Life is Strange stream. And I'll super never play Until Dawn because I don't care about horror stories, but I still didn't want to watch it. The others I watched because of the point and click thing.

c'mon bro, join us in the fun!

Lunar FC

Heh, you've got a lot of strange restrictions on watching GB content. You won't die if you watch them play a game you don't like, promise.

Patryn

Didn't even realize that was an option for that puzzle.

Looks like I naturally hit the "better" solution. The frustrating thing is that they totally missed it when it was right in their face.

That's....weird. I mean, I guess you have your reasons, but I can't understand them. Games like LiS really arent that different than point and click styled games besides being more heavy on dialogue and character development.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Heh, you've got a lot of strange restrictions on watching GB content. You won't die if you watch them play a game you don't like, promise.

I think you've got it mistaken, I don't want to watch Life is Strange because I think I might like the game. If I've got no interest at all I'll watch most of what they do (as goes for any point and click game). But if I watch them play a game that has nothing interesting outside of the story, I'll never play that game myself because I already got the story from their stream.

That's....weird. I mean, I guess you have your reasons, but I can't understand them. Games like LiS really arent that different than point and click styled games besides being more heavy on dialogue and character development.

The fact alone that they aren't point and click is more than enough for me. Really hate that input method. That and the stupid obtuse puzzles in point and click games, I just hate that genre as a whole and I've tried enough to know that I'll never like one of those games.

tuxfool

Banned
Didn't even realize that was an option for that puzzle.

Looks like I naturally hit the "better" solution. The frustrating thing is that they totally missed it when it was right in their face.

There are a few puzzles that can be resolved via multiple means.

LiK

I think you've got it mistaken, I don't want to watch Life is Strange because I think I might like the game. If I've got no interest at all I'll watch most of what they do (as goes for any point and click game). But if I watch them play a game that has nothing interesting outside of the story, I'll never play that game myself because I already got the story from their stream.

OH, so you just didn't wanna be spoiled. Why didn't you just say that? That's cool man, I do the exact same thing for a ton of QLs and LPs.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
OH, so you just didn't wanna be spoiled. Why didn't you just say that? That's cool man, I do the exact same thing for a ton of QLs and LPs.

Mostly because I know I'm not actually getting spoiled, because I'll probably never play the game. It's not like I have Life is Strange bought or even plan on buying it, it's just a somewhat neat looking thing that I'd rather experience myself if I ever do. Hypothetical spoilers? Feeling like I ripped off the developer by watching and enjoying it but never buying it? I don't know exactly what it is. I can say with certainty that whatever it is though, is keeping my interest in Life is Strange at roughly the same level as my interest in more Destiny content.

Lunar FC

Mostly because I know I'm not actually getting spoiled, because I'll probably never play the game. It's not like I have Life is Strange bought or even plan on buying it, it's just a somewhat neat looking thing that I'd rather experience myself if I ever do. Hypothetical spoilers? Feeling like I ripped off the developer by watching and enjoying it but never buying it? I don't know exactly what it is. I can say with certainty that whatever it is though, is keeping my interest in Life is Strange at roughly the same level as my interest in more Destiny content.

You making this waaay more complicated than it needs to be bruh.

LiK

it's all good. I understand your POV now.

Seventy70

Pure gameplay games are boring as hell to watch on GiantBomb since it involves them just sitting quietly and staring at the screen. Story heavy games are the best since they actually talk and make jokes.

The only gameplay stuff that works are things like Dark Souls or Castlevania where there's lots of repetition and pressure.

Patryn

What was the actual solution?

There's a box near the lever. You open the box and use the wire-cutters to cut a wire, and that releases the lever. You can then pull the lever.

It avoids destroying the tracks so I didn't get any of the lines about trains not being able to make it to the lumber mill.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Pure gameplay games are boring as hell to watch on GiantBomb since it involves them just sitting quietly and staring at the screen.

Some of my favorite content from GB over the years has included Patrick's Spelunky and Isaac videos, the Dark Souls series, anything involving creativity or open worlds and Vinny, and VinnyVania. I also liked the dungeon and fusing episodes of Persona 4 more than the story episodes for the most part. Seeing somebody develop skills, overcome obstacles, and approach things differently than I might have are some of the best parts of watching somebody play through a full game.

MGSV might be the only exception, and that's because I played enough MGSV to last a lifetime and I didn't even play a quarter of the game.

There's a box near the lever. You open the box and use the wire-cutters to cut a wire, and that releases the lever. You can then pull the lever.

It avoids destroying the tracks so I didn't get any of the lines about trains not being able to make it to the lumber mill.

They were THIS close to saving the lumber mill.

Seventy70

Some of my favorite content from GB over the years has included Patrick's Spelunky and Isaac videos, the Dark Souls series, anything involving creativity or open worlds and Vinny, and VinnyVania. I also liked the dungeon and fusing episodes of Persona 4 more than the story episodes for the most part. Seeing somebody develop skills, overcome obstacles, and approach things differently than I might have are some of the best parts of watching somebody play through a full game.

That's true. I would love to see them do Kerbal Space Program as a feature. I think that would have lots of potential especially if they started setting goals. It also leaves plenty of time for them to talk and discuss what's happening in the game.

Zornack

Pure gameplay games are boring as hell to watch on GiantBomb since it involves them just sitting quietly and staring at the screen. Story heavy games are the best since they actually talk and make jokes.

The only gameplay stuff that works are things like Dark Souls or Castlevania where there's lots of repetition and pressure.

This just reads to me like "pure gameplay games are boring except when they aren't," which is exactly how I feel about purely story driven games.

I liked contradiction, phantasmagoria and subway because those games provided something to bounce off the crew. LiS is just a medicore game with nothing of much interest for them to work with. It's not funny, it's not telling a good story, the characters aren't interesting and there is no gameplay to create tension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom