• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vinny and I are on the same page thinking Warren is like Huey/Hal as well.

There's quite a range between Hal and Huey. (MGSV spoilers)
One's a cool and trustworthy but awkward dude who keeps falling in love with the wrong women, one's a backstabbing bastard who would endanger his own child piloting a Metal Gear prototype and kills his own wife.

danm999

There's quite a range between Hal and Huey. (MGSV spoilers)
One's a cool and trustworthy but awkward dude who keeps falling in love with the wrong women, one's a backstabbing bastard who would endanger his own child piloting a Metal Gear prototype and kills his own wife.

Oh I mean in terms of outward eccentricities.

Huey's obviously a monster piece of shit and Hal was one of the most righteous characters.

as I kid I always kind of felt for Hal because he was pretty much always shit on in every game, especially in 2 where they basically put him through the wringer

it's pretty cool to have the inverse of that feeling with his father

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is there no way to watch these streams Mary's been recording and promoting on twitter? The twitch archive is sub-only and the YT channel doesn't have it. Weird.

Sakwoff

Armor class is how much armor you have, and THAC0 is what you need to roll To Hit Armor Class 0. You subtract AC from THAC0. Lower numbers are better in old DnD tho.

So if your THAC0 is 10 and enemy has AC0 then you have to roll 10-0 = 10 to hit. Kinda 50/50 on a 20 sided dice you know.

But if your THAC0 is 10 and enemy has AC10 then you have to roll 10-10= 0 to hit. Means you hit em every time (unless you roll 1 which is always a miss).

Yup. Never understood it as a wee lad until I played through Baldur's Gate recently. Once you visualize it via the 20-sided dice, it makes sense.

AD&D 2nd edition is pretty weird, but I actually really liked it playing through BG. You just have to learn about the quirks in the system. Like... forget about your general knowledge on how about every other RPG works, then it's actually pretty logical and allows for some really cool stuff that other systems are mostly far too rigid to allow.

Joeku

Man, Life is Strange spoilers
I lost Kate. After that last question GBeast had was one referring to a bible verse, and my friend and I fucked up from having done it in two sessions. I have rarely been hit harder by the loss of a character in a game. Aeris got nuthin' on Kate Marsh.

Such a good game. Presumably given how into it they are they'll finish it before GotY talks. I am super curious to see where it lands on the top 10. More than that, I want to see how Austin argues in the deliberations. Homie can be verbose.

hamchan

I lost Kate. After that last question GBeast had was one referring to a bible verse, and my friend and I fucked up from having done it in two sessions. I have rarely been hit harder by the loss of a character in a game. Aeris got nuthin' on Kate Marsh.

Such a good game. Presumably given how into it they are they'll finish it before GotY talks. I am super curious to see where it lands on the top 10. More than that, I want to see how Austin argues in the deliberations. Homie can be verbose.

11th place with 10th being Destiny TTK.

Just read up on it, and
the whole "Max can't use her powers during this crucial moment because reasons" is some bullshit. Typical of narrative games, but still.

Joeku

11th place with 10th being Destiny TTK.

The Taken King indeed.

Hottest Mess gonna be the most divisive category. That or Please Stop. Depends on how they categorize things.

Just read up on it, and
the whole "Max can't use her powers during this crucial moment because reasons" is some bullshit. Typical of narrative games, but still.

As far as I remember, it's the only time in the game it happens, and the whole sequence then becomes a question of "do you care enough about Kate to remember this stuff about her and know HOW to speak to her?" which feels like a valid test to me. Failing it felt appropriately shitty, too. It's a neat little sidestep from the way the story climaxes had been handled up to that point.

It's cause she overuses it getting to the roof.

It still kind of feels like a cheap way to manufacture this tense situation.

Does the game ever explain why that whole
time-travel fatigue
thing happens in the first place? I know it's a somewhat common trope, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that tries to explain it.

Xater

Is there no way to watch these streams Mary's been recording and promoting on twitter? The twitch archive is sub-only and the YT channel doesn't have it. Weird.

Yeah, I've been wondering the same. They say archives are in YouTube but Mary's stuff is not there.

Joeku

Does the game ever explain why that whole time-travel fatigue thing happens in the first place? I know it's a somewhat common trope, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that tries to explain it.

I think there's a pretty big degree of "this is a time travel story. You know how this goes." In the early parts of episodes 1 and 2, Max makes quick logical leaps to figure out how her powers work and demonstrate/prove them to herself, other characters, and the audience. It's not like zomibie fiction where nobody's heard of zombies before.

danm999

The game establishes pretty early she can't rewind indefinitely, and that it causes blinding headaches and nose bleeds if used too much, so I don't know if it is that cheap.

Does the game ever explain why that whole time-travel fatigue thing happens in the first place? I know it's a somewhat common trope, but I don't think I've ever seen anything that tries to explain it.

Nothing explicit no. I like to imagine she's mildly damaging her brain every time she rewinds because she's cramming more memories into her head than should exist at that point.

The boring meta answer is it's a way to easily portray negative impact on someone.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

You mean the
constant nosebleeds after she uses her powers?

You mean the
constant nosebleeds after she uses her powers? also i am a butt

I mean the general "using time travel can fuck your head all up and possibly kill you" thing. I understand that it's a way to reign in a story that uses time travel and give it limits, but what's the rationale for it in the context of the story itself?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean the general "using time travel can fuck your head all up and possibly kill you" thing. I understand that it's a way to reign in a story that uses time travel and give it limits, but what's the rationale for it in the context of the story itself?

Mind spoilertagging it for me? It was my bad.

Well, I haven't actually played beyond chapter 2 yet, but from what I have inferred without spoiling myself too much is that continued use of her powers does play a role?

kAmui-

This freakkin mission that Drew is in... I had a bug where
the children stopped following me and I had to carry them one by one to the chopper.

Her power (why she has it, why it works the way it does etc.) isn't really explained in any way during the game.

danm999

the children stopped following me and I had to carry them one by one to the chopper.

That sounds infuriating.

It was already annoying enough to try and get the achievement to hustle their asses to Pequod before anyone noticed they were gone.

Zaph

For me that mission ended with
soldiers hot on my tail as I approached Pequod, but then they all politely stopped shooting and froze as I loaded up the kids. Seems like it's got some scripting problems. Still GOTY

Hell yeah. Do the right thing, Vinny. Get your Witcher on!
Since he says he doesn't have that much time
, he should use this time to play it! Win. Win.
Why would you do this.
Nothing like the pain from actually playing it.
That game is awesome.
I tried to go all stealth but ended up getting caught and all hell broke loose.

For me that mission ended up with the enemy helicopter coming and and shooting my helicopter, my helicopter drove it away smoking, but it had gotten alotta damage and blew up. So Kaz called in the other one.

It was a good mission.

Dark horse in GOTY.
FU6oT6C.png

Good guy Alex. I've played the first few levels but didn't dive deep into the game to actually say anything meaningful about it because I've been meaning to finish Mad Max first since it's the only game left that I haven't finished so far and it's taking a long ass time to do so since it's an open world game but it's very enjoyable.

I've absolutely loved what I played. While it is as easy as taking a piss, the game is incredibly charming with a stunning artstyle and is very relaxing because of the great use of color. I heard the bonus levels or later levels get more challenging? who knows, all I know is that I really enjoyed what I played.

tumblr_n70mwaLQsk1rp3wg0o1_500.gif

yayomg-yoshis-woolly-world-10.gif

Yoshi shits out yarns, how cool is that?
From what I read of impressions, every level up until the very end feels unique so that's real good to know.

For me that mission ended with
soldiers hot on my tail as I approached Pequod, but then they all politely stopped shooting and froze as I loaded up the kids. Seems like it's got some scripting problems. Still GOTY

I got spotted at the last minute, so I
put the first kid on the chopper and started shooting the enemies with the minigun. While I was shooting them the chopper decided to leave with all the other kids still waiting on the ground.

kAmui-

Thank you! I needed something to watch while I cook and eat. This will do nicely.

Has anyone here played that Duck Dynasty game? I've had it on my steam wishlist since that quick look and if it ever becomes cheap enough, I'd probably bite.

daydream

Banned
Good guy Alex. I've played the first few levels but didn't dive deep into the game to actually say anything meaningful about it because I've been meaning to finish Mad Max first since it's the only game left that I haven't finished so far and it's taking a long ass time to do so since it's an open world game but it's very enjoyable.

I've absolutely loved what I played. While it is as easy as taking a piss, the game is incredibly charming with a stunning artstyle and is very relaxing because of the great use of color. I heard the bonus levels or later levels get more challenging? who knows, all I know is that I really enjoyed what I played.

From what I read of impressions, every level up until the very end feels unique so that's real good to know.

game's fantastic, the level design is incredible and the exploration challenging. are you going for 100% in every level? therein lies the appeal of the island-style games since pretty much day 1

anyway, easy top 10 game this year on any sensible person's list

They gonna put Extra Life stuff in the schedule or h-what.

euro fishing more important than extra life confirmed

game's fantastic, the level design is incredible and the exploration challenging. are you going for 100% in every level? therein lies the appeal of the island-style games since pretty much day 1

anyway, easy top 10 game this year on any sensible person's list

euro fishing more important than extra life confirmed

Euro Fishing is Extra Life this year confirmed.

Thank you! I needed something to watch while I cook and eat. This will do nicely.

Has anyone here played that Duck Dynasty game? I've had it on my steam wishlist since that quick look and if it ever becomes cheap enough, I'd probably bite.

Hoping for Redbox, I'll even take last Gen version, or Steam sale one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom