• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not be surprised if Witcher 3 isn't even in Giant Bomb's top 5. But it's a far better game in every way than Shadow of Mordor, which really says something about last year.

Witcher 3 will probably be my GOTY unless something else in the coming months is totally amazing but I never really thought it stood much of a chance for Giant Bomb's GOTY. I hope Mario Maker wins though over something boring like MGSV.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I'd probably like a game like Witcher if it wasn't fantasy. For some reason I just can never get into any form of media with a fantasy setting. Shadows of Modor totally bounced off me too.

typically I am with you there. I roll my eyes hard and fantasy and most sci fi. But the Witcher is such a great and richly written world that I can't help but love it. It isn't about dragons and orcs and shit, it is about the muck and the dirt and the grime. It is rough and brilliant.

kAmui-

I'm thinking of buying a gtx 970 later this year and then I'll play TW3. Hopefully I can finish that beast before the GOTY discussions start so I don't have to avoid spoilers.

And once again I find myself watching the Fortune Street TNT. This might be the single greatest thing on the internet.

has 'england' replaced 'europe' as umbrella term for a wildly diverse and culturally rich continent in dan's vocabulary now

tumblr_mw0o5jLFXs1r0nu3uo1_250.gif

Noaloha

Witcher 3 doesn't focus enough on its simpler interactive elements; basic movement, UI, etc. It has several very high highs as a video game, but - as a video game on the simplest level - it fucks up on / glazes over the scaffolding. I accept that maybe I'm hypersensitive where laggy responsiveness stuff is concerned, so there's your pinch of salt. But yes: CDPR, don't fill your 150hr epic with bi-polar movement and laggy goddamn menus please. As much as I am enjoying your world and narrative, just *doing* a thing in your game is a chore. Write a Fighting Fantasy book and fill it with pretty CG pictures if this is all you have in you. I'd totes buy it.

Zabant

I'm thinking of buying a gtx 970

You might as well wait for Pascal which is dropping in march. 970 was a great deal at launch but it's the last of a 3 year architecture cycle.

The next lot of cards will have massive improvements for the next gen (VR etc), to a laymen, the new cards will be about 10x better than Maxwell.

Teddified

Huh, I didn't start TW3 until August but I loved the combat, I just wish was a little more depth. Since I basically only really used Quen and Swords. Overall though I enjoyed the combat and switched the difficulty to the broken bones one pretty quickly.

Maybe I'm just a guy who's ok with just adequate combat so I enjoyed the 123 hours so far. Hoping for quite a bit more with the DLC's, And maybe even a NG+ in a few years.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Witcher 3 doesn't focus enough on its simpler interactive elements; basic movement, UI, etc. It has several very high highs as a video game, but - as a video game on the simplest level - it fucks up on / glazes over the scaffolding. I accept that maybe I'm hypersensitive where laggy responsiveness stuff is concerned, so there's your pinch of salt. But yes: CDPR, don't fill your 150hr epic with bi-polar movement and laggy goddamn menus please. As much as I am enjoying your world and narrative, just *doing* a thing in your game is a chore. Write a Fighting Fantasy book and fill it with pretty CG pictures if this is all you have in you. I'd totes buy it.

Agreed. MGSV and it are ying and yang.

I actually prefer Witcher 1s combat for the simple reason that it was incredibly easy. I play the game for the atmosphere and the narrative. Geralt's a badass he doesn't need a challenge.

Huh, I didn't start TW3 until August but I loved the combat, I just wish was a little more depth. Since I basically only really used Quen and Swords. Overall though I enjoyed the combat and switched the difficulty to the broken bones one pretty quickly.

Maybe I'm just a guy who's ok with just adequate combat so I enjoyed the 123 hours so far. Hoping for quite a bit more with the DLC's, And maybe even a NG+ in a few years.

Yea, I enjoyed the combat too as simple as it is. I forced myself to never use Quen though so I enjoyed experimenting a but more. Quen is probably why I found Witcher 2 boring because that's all I did.

Megasoum

Banned
I REALLY need to get back into The Witcher... I played all the way to the first interaction with the Baron and then stopped playing... Haven't touched it in like 2 months... I want to play but I'm kinda scared of how lost I'll be.

@ people who killed toriel

1) it's fine that you did that

2) just kidding you're monsters

3) yes there is a way to not kill her, it's probably the simplest way you can think of

4) i did the same thing on my first playthrough, she was the only one i killed, don't worry too much about it, just play the game however the first time through

I REALLY need to get back into The Witcher... I played all the way to the first interaction with the Baron and then stopped playing... Haven't touched it in like 2 months... I want to play but I'm kinda scared of how lost I'll be.

you still have like...50 hours of witcher ahead of you. you're not gonna be lost, don't worry.

Ketch

It actually upsets me that Dan, or at least dans character uses the US flag as imagery. It must be my military experience, but it's a real feeling of anger.

justjim89

It actually upsets me that Dan, or at least dans character uses the US flag as imagery. It must be my military experience, but it's a real feeling of anger.

I mean, it's probably a level of self awareness that Dan's not capable of possessing, but is there anything more obnoxious than people who just like super duper love America beyond reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom