• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
rXkfszJ.gif

AngryMoth

New demo derby is great. That grapple round corners mechanic in jet moto really is a cool idea.

Is there a video of anyone beating Dan's (final) level yet?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
list of good, noble people:

1) people who wave to you in destiny when they join your strike
2) drew scanlon

list of awful, no-good evildoers:

1) people who do not wave to you in destiny when they join your strike

I immediately sprint to wherever we're supposed to go and go as fast as possible skipping all optional combat.

You'd probably hate me. But after doing every strike dozens of times I just wanna get the shit done. Aint nobody got time to spend 20 minutes on every strike.

Gnome

I wonder if Super Mario Maker will make their GOTY ahead of MGSV. They seem very invested in it, even weeks after.
I think there is a real good possibility it will. If the past is anything to go by, it only takes one really stubborn person to make the final decision *cough*Skyrim*cough*.

New demo derby is great. That grapple round corners mechanic in jet moto really is a cool idea.

Is there a video of anyone beating Dan's (final) level yet?

http://www.twitch.tv/sodiumeyes/v/20089234

I love that's almost more puzzle than execution, but the level is litterally insane. Going in blind as Patrick is doing, is going to be one hell of a challenge.

I think there is a real good possibility it will. If the past is anything to go by, it only takes one really stubborn person to make the final decision *cough*Skyrim*cough*.

Unless Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3 overtakes it, it still seems like both Dan and Brad will have MGSV as their number 1. Jeff might have Mario Maker as his number 1, but I don't think it'll be enough to get it as the overall GB goty. Especially when MGSV seems like it'll also be high with Drew, Vinny and Jason.

Scizzy

Skyrim was more a Jeff filibuster for SR3 than one of Brad's. The room was 3-2 in favor of Skyrim.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Come to think of it, I don't think I even finished last year's final GOTY podcast because of all the bullshit arguing. I recall really not enjoying listening to it.

edit: lol Shadow of Mordor won GOTY? hahahaha. Maaaaan, talk about a flash in the pan. Fun game, but forgotten as soon as I stopped playing it. Dark Souls 2 didn't even get a top 10 mention. Fuck that.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I still think it'll be MGSV, but the fact that SMM will stick around longer might boost its chances. I loved 99% of my time with MGSV, and putting so many hours into it could almost work against my opinion of it at the end of the year, because now I feel entirely burned out on it. Of course that's a real nonsense reason to take anything away from it, because obviously I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to spend all that time playing it; but I could see myself favouring the game I'm still playing at the end of the year over the one I burned out on several months prior.

Come to think of it, I don't think I even finished last year's final GOTY podcast because of all the bullshit arguing. I recall really not enjoying listening to it.

Spoilers: last year was the year of poo games, so it was just arguing about poo with a conclusion that one poo shall be raised above all other poo.

Ok they weren't that bad, but this year's discussions should be so much more interesting.

Skyrim was more a Jeff filibuster for SR3 than one of Brad's. The room was 3-2 in favor of Skyrim.

Nope, Jeff, Vinny, Ryan and Alex all had Saints Row over Skyrim in their top 10's and where arguing for it. Only Patrick and Brad were in favor of Skyrim. The debate had been going for a while when Ryan (who had only played a couple of hours of Skyrim, as far as I remember), told Jeff that "he couldn't follow him down this path" (or something to that effect) and changed his vote to Skyrim. Which in the end caused Skyrim to win.

I don't think it was ever really explained why Ryan changed his vote, he might have thought SR3 was more of a dumb fun game, than actual GOTY material, but personally I just think he didn't want to deal with Brad filibustering for hours, considering they had already been podcasting for maybe 6-8 hours straight.

I love this Demo Derby, not even five minutes in

still the best feature

e: I love how quick Dan is to pick up on spelling errors, every single time

Myggen

Ironically enough the demos are the least interesting part of demo derbies.

Yeah. Unless it's some really obscure shit, it's just games. The most interesting stuff will always be the features and the interviews, especially since it's all wrapped in the most 90s package ever.

Skyrim was the real GotY that year. It's not because everyone else gave it the award that somehow it is less worthy of it. Saints Row 3 was great, but in no way was it the achievement that Skyrim was. Saints Row 3 was a bag of sugary doughnuts to Skyrim's fancy dinner.

danm999

Yeah thinking back on that award, Jeff and Vinny weren't able to come up with much more than "it's fucking stupid in a good way" for Saints Row 3 being GOTY. Like, they conceded very basic things like it doesn't always play super well and the mission design could be bad a lot of the time.

Ryan, Patrick and Brad ran circles around them with arguments about how Skyrim was the better game.

I thought Tomb Raider's control scheme was actually pretty good for what you were doing most of the time, traversing the tombs. It was all about lining up jumps and combining the move set to get around. It was not forgiving, you had to be accurate when reaching for ledges and a lot of jumps required precision. If you tried to play it like an action platformer just running and jumping didn't work. It was more methodical and had some actual mechanical depth. Unfortunately, it didn't work well with combat, which in a perfect world just wouldn't have been included in the game. I wish that style would have been refined and used in more games today instead of the magnetised ledges and auto-platforming you see so much in the more recent Tomb Raider style games.

Yeah thinking back on that award, Jeff and Vinny weren't able to come up with much more than "it's fucking stupid in a good way" for Saints Row 3 being GOTY. Like, they conceded very basic things like it doesn't always play super well and the mission design could be bad a lot of the time.

Ryan, Patrick and Brad ran circles around them with arguments about how Skyrim was the better game.

Totally. Brad put it best when he said that Skyrim was the game Bethesda had been trying to make for the past 20 years, in terms of matching their deep open-world RPG with approachability. And it was. Skyrim was amazing and deserved all the praise it got, along with the copies sold.

I cannot wait for the TES:VI.

Skyrim was the real GotY that year. It's not because everyone else gave it the award that somehow it is less worthy of it. Saints Row 3 was great, but in no way was it the achievement that Skyrim was. Saints Row 3 was a bag of sugary doughnuts to Skyrim's fancy dinner.

I think though you are confusing GotY with Giantbomb's GotY. Based on the podcasts throughout the year and how they all talked about both games around release I think Saints Row 3 absolutely should have been their game of the year. It definitely did feel like they caved to popular consensus and did not stay true to themselves with the award that year.

hamchan

The lack of search features in Mario Maker is worse then any issue I have with MGSV

Sure but we all know how the debate on GOTY will go.

Someone will bring up the bad search functions and then whoever is fighting for Mario Maker will counter MGSV with the incomplete chapter 2, the weird Keifer voice acting or lack thereof, the lack of story and what's there being not that great, the micro transactions in the FOB system, the main missions feeling sort of filler, etc.

I guess someone like Brad can use that one point against Mario Maker over and over in a filibuster to counter everything else but boy, it'll be very hard for him this year.

Myggen

I think though you are confusing GotY with Giantbomb's GotY. Based on the podcasts and how they all talked about both games I think Saints Row 3 absolutely should have been their game of the year. It definitely did feel like they caved to popular consensus and did not stay true to themselves with the award that year.

Nah, wasn't about caving to popular consensus, but they caved to Brad's filibuster.

Looking forward to GOTY this year.

This has been a fantastic year for gaming all around and we still have a few more months left. Either SMM or MGS5 winning would make me happy but those are the games that are head to head to win my GOTY so far, we'll see what happens when the other games release.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think though you are confusing GotY with Giantbomb's GotY. Based on the podcasts throughout the year and how they all talked about both games around release I think Saints Row 3 absolutely should have been their game of the year. It definitely did feel like they caved to popular consensus and did not stay true to themselves with the award that year.

I'd say that's really only true for ryan. Brad and patrick being in the skyrim camp wasn't out of character.

Gestahl

Making Oblivion but Not a Complete Pile of Shit in 2011 doesn't seem like that much of an achievement to me

Kicking the Saturn in 1997-98 when the system was already a colossal failure is really low Jaffe.

Also Patrick has a lot of followers on twitter. And a verified account. Did he get big without me knowing while at Kotaku?

Strax

Sure but we all know how the debate on GOTY will go.

Someone will bring up the bad search functions and then whoever is fighting for Mario Maker will counter MGSV with the incomplete chapter 2, the weird Keifer voice acting or lack thereof, the lack of story and what's there being not that great, the micro transactions in the FOB system, the main missions feeling sort of filler, etc.

I guess someone like Brad can use that one point against Mario Maker over and over in a filibuster to counter everything else but boy, it'll be very hard for him this year.

Jeff himself said when it was announced that Nintendo fucked up if you can't string levels together. I think that is still really valid. The core of Mario Maker is fantastic but it has many many faults like that.

hamchan

Jeff himself said when it was announced that Nintendo fucked up if you can't string levels together. I think that is still really valid. The core of Mario Maker is fantastic but it has many many faults like that.

Of course it's valid. Never said that it was a foregone conclusion that Mario Maker will be their GOTY. Just said that it was possible and that the battle will be much closer than we thought it would be.

Maybe I'm a simpleton but I love all three modern Elder Scrolls games pretty much equally and it's hard for me to pick a favorite.

Oblivion has Shivering Isles so I might lean towards that.

danm999

They definitely talked about Saints Row 3 more.

Does that make something GOTY? If so, this years is Destiny, (oh fuck).

I think the GOTY 2011 gets wrongly categorised as a Brad filibuster when Patrick was the one driving the Skyrim advocacy. I think they picked the game they ultimately enjoyed most as a staff even if SR3's tone was totally their whole website distilled into a game.

Personally I found Skyrim OK. I am perpetually disappoint in Bethesda for making really shallow RPGs with none of the flair of their past entries (Morrowind is a master stroke). I wish they would write something as good as Morrowind again, even though I know most of those people are long gone, or I wish they would get outsiders in like Obsidian to make storys, settings and characters that aren't generic.

All the elder scrolls games are cool. I think Oblivion was totally a better game for its them then Skyrim was in its time though. Helps Oblivion has much better side stories.

And I think the Morrowind purists are mostly crazy people but I will agree that unlimited fast travel at any point has been a bit of a negative in the long run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom