• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

But they made morrowind so they did succeed.

Not in 2011 they didn't.

If they released another game like Morrowind but with the combat and the attribute allocation fixed it would be the bestest.

I'm not against perks in Skyrim, I thought they were fine (though it could use a lot of refining and expansion).

Oh man I can't believe Dan said Codename Tenka during that Demo Derby. They need to have Codename Tenka coverage on Giantbomb at some point.

skyrim was basically the next in line in the perpetual cycle of removing complexity and adding "style" in the TES games. Oblivion was definitely baby's first TES after Morrowind but there was enough stuff going on to make the world seem alive and unpredictable that it was kind of interesting, at least at the time. Skyrim had no surprises, and most of its best moments were rehashes of things done better in previous games.

there's obviously still some joy to be had in trying to mess around with the systems in Bethesda games, but with Skyrim they aimed for broad appeal over interesting game and completely nailed that goal.

I'm not even a little interested in Fallout 4.

Is there some secret to getting good download speeds on GB videos? I've been trying to put a couple Metal Gear Scanlons on my iPad for an upcoming trip but the download speeds just peter out into nothing pretty quickly.

Right now I'm trying to get an episode that is 2.3gb. At first it was downloading at 11mb/s and I got to 1.4gb that way, but now it's going steady at 13.6kb/s. At this rate it won't finish before my trip tomorrow.

I've retried the download several times and I've had this problem for a long time, from several different ISPs on different continents. Is there something to know?

danm999

I'm interested in Fallout 4 in terms of wanting to know how it turns out. I wish the best for Besthesda but I think they're just going to churn out a Skyrim with guns.

Myggen

Is there some secret to getting good download speeds on GB videos? I've been trying to put a couple Metal Gear Scanlons on my iPad for an upcoming trip but the download speeds just peter out into nothing pretty quickly.

Right now I'm trying to get an episode that is 2.3gb. At first it was downloading at 11mb/s and I got to 1.4gb that way, but now it's going steady at 13.6kb/s. At this rate it won't finish before my trip tomorrow.

I've retried the download several times and I've had this problem for a long time, from several different ISPs on different continents. Is there something to know?

Don't think there's some secret to getting good speeds if you're not getting it. Download speeds from the site has been pretty fast for me for a while now.

I played the hell out of Oblivion but 2 aspects kill my appreciation of the game when I look back at it. It had the worst implementation of level-scaled enemies in any game I've played and broken character leveling system, which combined made things even worse. Utilizing your characters major skills would result in you leveling too quickly, which would level the world beyond your characters abilities. You found yourself doing the most ridiculous things to make sure you leveled up enough minor skills before leveling up your character, hopping around using weapons you didn't want to use, paying trainers to level skills you never used, never using major skill spells until you were ready to level up. If your major skills involved anything that you had to do like acrobatics and athletics you could cripple your character just by exploring the world, especially if you didn't realize how things worked. Your character could be the fastest runner and best jumper ever but every enemy would take 10 minutes to defeat because you didn't level damage dealing and health at all while the average bandit was wearing endgame armor and wielding end game weapons. Of course if you had a grasp on the level system you could create a god but it required doing stupid shit.

Bacon

Yeah that leveling system was ass in oblivion. My first time through the game I didn't realize you had to go to sleep to level your character up so my dude was level 1 at the end of the game, and there were no real consequences for it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Is there some secret to getting good download speeds on GB videos?

Downloads have been good for me for the past year or so, but there was a period of a few months where my download speeds from GB were similar to yours, in the 10s of kb/s at best. It always seemed to happen late in the evening, and was fine during the day. Is there any sort of time of day correlation like that for you? My problem eventually just went away. There didn't seem to be anything I could do about it, and because it was affecting a few others from my general location, I surmised it was something to do with whatever CDN they use doing a poor job of managing bandwidth or something.

God damn Jet Moto looks like ass today. Early Playstation games, man.

I probably haven't even thought about that game since the 90s and I was shocked at how terrible it looked. especially since I remember it being a good looking game

and lol at the product placement

Myggen

I probably haven't even thought about that game since the 90s and I was shocked at how terrible it looked. especially since I remember it being a good looking game

and lol at the product placement

I think Dan said it looked like someone had barfed pixels on the screen, which is a pretty good description of how that game looks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Here's the same file downloading on Chrome and Firefox.

The firefox one slowed down to ~16kb/s while I was uploading this picture. At the same place, too (1.4gb)
Try JDownloader, it always gives me good speeds on sites that otherwise won't. I don't know how that magic works, though.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
People shitting on Skyrim makes me sad. I loooove that game, one of my favorites of the generation. A large part of that is due to mods on the PC but I put in I think like 50 hours on 360 before I switched to PC and had a great time there too. I just love being in that world.

But yeah Wolfenstein man. Talk about a travesty, that game deserved so much more acclaim than it got. So goddamn well-written, the pacing was great, the shooting was great, the goddamn soundtrack, holy shit. What a game.

There was that great quest in Oblivion where you have to investigate around a castle to catch an art thief. Or the one where you're helping a conspiracy theorist who thinks everyone's out to kill him. Or that one in Shivering Isles where you play dungeon master for a bunch of random adventurers.

I do love Skyrim's atmosphere though. Exploring all that gorgeous icy tundra with that soundtrack playing is amazing.

Scizzy

The real villain in Wolfenstein not getting its due was Drew not Brad. As determined as Brad was to get Destiny in the top 10, all Drew had to do was say "Wolfenstein is my GOTY" and Brad would have shut down.

The real villain in Wolfenstein not getting its due was Drew not Brad. As determined as Brad was to get Destiny in the top 10, all Drew had to do was say "Wolfenstein is my GOTY" and Brad would have shut down.

I doubt that would have stopped Brad. He would have continued finding that he thought was "garbage" about it while saying the only problem with Destiny is that there wasn't enough of it.

Brad really is the most entertaining thing about the GOTY podcasts.

Here's the same file downloading on Chrome and Firefox.

The firefox one slowed down to ~16kb/s while I was uploading this picture. At the same place, too (1.4gb)

You may want to remove that image as it shows the URL to that episode, which is premium content.

Lelcar

Brad really is the most entertaining thing about the GOTY podcasts.

Brad is really a different person during GOTY, it's interesting. Chill Brad, out of all of them, is the most intense and aggressive during GOTY. I think it's cool. GB's GOTY is a big event for me personally, so it's dope that they get so into it.

As for the Mario Maker vs MGSV debate, I think come December when we're a little bit removed from these games, I think maybe, just maybe, Mario Maker might end up making a better lasting impression on Jeff specifically.

Joeku

Drew gonna get hella spoiled in GotY unless they mainline that shit.

And man, Wolfenstein was truly last year's best game. Got forgotten. :(

Lelcar

Out of the guys so far, Brad is the most sour about the endgame of MGSV but also the most in favor to call it the greatest sandbox game ever made, so it's going to be interesting to see where he falls in a couple of months.

However, I'm just waiting for his Dying Light filibuster. I actually just picked up Dying Light yesterday, but haven't played it yet. I hope I like it as much as Brad did!

Out of the guys so far, Brad is the most sour about the endgame of MGSV but also the most in favor to call it the greatest sandbox game ever made, so it's going to be interesting to see where he falls in a couple of months.

However, I'm just waiting for his Dying Light filibuster. I actually just picked up Dying Light yesterday, but haven't played it yet. I hope I like it as much as Brad did!

DL is a fantastic game especially if you play it on co-op, a very smooth experience overall.

I was really disappointed in Skyrim and can't remember a single questline in the game but Oblivion was still a great game despite simplifying things from Morrowind. The entire Dark Brotherhood questline is one of the best in gaming, especially the one where they throw you in the mansion and task with with eliminating the party without them finding out. So much fun.

Or the thieves guild mission where you STEAL AN ELDER SCROLL. And all of Shivering Isles. Not sure what happened with Skyrim, no personality at all.

But still, I think Fallout 3 had some great quests(Tranquility Lane, Three Dog stuff, amazing introduction, Megatron/the Tower with the anti Ghoul people/etc) so I'm hoping Fallout 4 continues on in that vain even though I enjoyed New Vegas so much more.

You chug pills in mid-air in slow motion and chuck the whole bottle aside like you just don't care, if that isn't GOTG material then you people are drunk.

Patryn

Are people forgetting that Jeff is on the record as not hesitating a second saying he'd pick MGSV over Mario Maker for GOTY?

Yes, that could have changed, but the only time he's ever addressed it he didn't blink. He immediately picked MGSV.

I've finished Max Payne 3 8 times, easily one of the best shooters of all times and the only game that has had gameplay fun enough to make me replay it time and time again.

erawsd

Drew gonna get hella spoiled in GotY unless they mainline that shit.

And man, Wolfenstein was truly last year's best game. Got forgotten. :(

Theres really no reason they'd have to spoil Metal Gear, unless they nominate it for best story which would be really bizarre.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Now you fuckers know how I feel about Max Payne 3 and/or Dragon's Dogma.

No those are Bad Games. Wolfenstein is a Good Game.

(I'm being flip, they're not bad games but they're both deeply flawed imo, whereas Wolfenstein is actually legit amazing)

No those are Bad Games. Wolfenstein is a Good Game.
If you make a short character in Dragon's Dogma it's much easier for water to estinquish your lantern and flying monsters can carry you away to your doom but you can restore stamina much faster. Game is insane and so weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom