• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrixter

Metal Gear has more guns than Mario Maker. Jeff will pick Metal Gear.

Unless he counts Bullet Bill launchers and cannons as guns.
2008: Grand Theft Auto IV
2009: Modern Warfare 2
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: Saints Row 3
2012: Far Cry 3
2013: BioShock Infinite
2014: Advanced Warfare

Mario Maker has to break Jeff's GOTY shooter streak, otherwise I'm afraid nothing ever will :(

If you make a short character in Dragon's Dogma it's much easier for water to estinquish your lantern and flying monsters can carry you away to your doom but you can restore stamina much faster. Game is insane and so weird!

Dragon's Dogma is Skyrim without the bullshit, it's what Skyrim should have been, it is a Japanese take on 1980s Dungeons & Dragons and the fact it doesn't spam bullshit dragons every twenty minutes (there's 2 or 3 tops and they're absolute brutality) and has mechanics and loot and story that is actually well thought out, as well as a satisfying climax that isn't absolute bullshit.

Mario Maker has to break Jeff's GOTY shooter streak, otherwise I'm afraid nothing ever will :(

MW2 was GOTY, ME2 was GOTY, SR3 was GOTY, FC3 was... eh... and uh, don't get me started on Infinite (I think that was Jeff's #2?), and Advanced Warfare was phenomenal.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Praising the story of Dragon's Dogma now... okay this thread has truly lost its mind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

We joke but this is pretty shameful display on big jeffrey's part

game of the... man you really gotta stop hunking that dunk, lady

I mean, if somebody wants to make an argument that it's a decent or even good game, I'll listen. Someone who thinks a shooter with terrible shooting and worse-than-average writing is the Game of the Generation is not someone worth humoring.

Praising the story of Dragon's Dogma now... okay this thread has truly lost its mind.

Remember when RPGs were good, and you had to actually talk to everyone? There's this underlying theme that something is wrong with the world - especially related to the King, and if you treat like a game from the time when RPGs were RPGs and not total bullshit, the "twist" makes total sense and is a hell of a lot more rewarding.

Also it plays like Devil May Cry and the end-level mage spells are fucking fantastical world-ending shit, unlike Skyrim's bullshit.

MASSIVE DRAGON'S DOGMA SPOILERS:
you beat the dragon that stole your heart at the end of the game and then a giant hole rips out of the ground in the central town you've been back to so many times and opens an infinite pit between infinite paralell universes and you have to fight through a bunch of dungeons of super hard monsters before you inevitably MURDER GOD HIMSELF.

Max Payne 3 not a good shooter when it's completely unparalleled in hit reactions and general shooting mechanics? I've heard it all.

And Dragon's Dogma goes to such weird places that I can't help but love it. All of the secret endings are hilarious and even throughout the side quests there's a ton of secret, but totally batshit crazy things that are going on.

MW2 was GOTY, ME2 was GOTY, SR3 was GOTY, FC3 was... eh... and uh, don't get me started on Infinite (I think that was Jeff's #2?), and Advanced Warfare was phenomenal.

That struck me as incorrect as well, but sure as shit it was his #1. See, Jeff does have good taste from time to time!

It would be interesting to have GB go back and rank their top 10 from a year without looking at their old list just to see how it changes.

Man, I used to think you were cool.

It's a disappointing revelation that everyone must make eventually!

Didn't you say you played thirty minutes of the game? But we've already had this conversation and it's hard one to have when I've actually finished each Max Payne game multiple times.

Max Payne 3 makes the predecessors out of date. Having actual consequences for fucking up the shootdodge instead of immediately rolling up into a ready position makes skilled play a thousand times more rewarding.

A good shooter isn't plagued by unskippable, long-winded cutscenes at every corner.
That flaw doesn't change the actual mechanics that are at hand which are incredible. Play through arcade mode which cuts a lot of the cutscenes out!(but not all of them) For example, I would argue that Metal Gear Solid V had an incredibly problematic and gross story but that doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed it because of the mechanics.

it would have been really weird if it played like old Max Payne. the update to the gameplay was a good choice. the story was like 100% Max Payne.

Max Payne 3 makes the predecessors out of date. Having actual consequences for fucking up the shootdodge instead of immediately rolling up into a ready position makes skilled play a thousand times more rewarding.

the kind of pained "thud" when he hits the ground and your relative inability to quickly recover is so good

fuck, I want to play MP3 again

Now we're just talking about Max Payne 3! We've been tricked!

Look man, that multiplayer was real fucking mindblowing while it lasted. The narration, the fact that dual pistols were actually fuckin' viable, jumping off rooftops and out of windows in slow-mo to gun down like 3-4 people whilst spinning around like a maniac and justify suiciding, aaauuugh it was so fucking satisfying.

Also the writing was so damn good. "I got a hole in my second favorite drinking arm" is still a classic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Max Payne 3 is the Driveclub of shooters. There's this weird vocal tiny fanbase and you can never tell if they're on the level or not

Put me in the boat that loved MP3 a little too much.

BjlI7r5.jpg

Glorious soundtrack as well.

Look man, that multiplayer was real fucking mindblowing while it lasted. The narration, the fact that dual pistols were actually fuckin' viable, jumping off rooftops and out of windows in slow-mo to gun down like 3-4 people whilst spinning around like a maniac and justify suiciding, aaauuugh it was so fucking satisfying.

Also the writing was so damn good. "I got a hole in my second favorite drinking arm" is still a classic.

I came to the game late and never got to play the multiplayer. Looked interesting though.

Maybe I need to go back and put it on super-duper easy mode and just play through the whole thing.

Glorious soundtrack as well.

HEALTH just put out a new album and there's definitely tracks that feel like they came right outta Max Payne 3. It's so good.

Also the multiple scenes of Max just fucking drinking and chugging pills and being a fucking degenerate. It's a really great exploration of the player/player-character divide as every time Max isn't under player control he's just an absolute fuckup at everything human, from keeping a clean room to preventing his friends from being killed. It's a lot smarter than people gave it credit for.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What if I agreed with him and said I'd played and beaten the game? Max Payne 3 is a good Rockstar game, not a good Max Payne game.

Agreed. It's a good Rockstar game because like every Rockstar game they rip off a bunch of movies (in this case mostly Man On Fire), fill it with a boatload of bad writing cliches and call it a day.

You know what game had good writing? Max Payne 2. Hell of a game.

Joeku

Now you fuckers know how I feel about Max Payne 3 and/or Dragon's Dogma.

Max Payne 3 is a diamond in a pile of shit. The only way I really got the best out of it was to actually replay the game incredibly hungover. That made it work.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3o-z5Xw-F4

That's a funny way to spell shovel knight

Shovel Knight #2 forever, baby.

Theres really no reason they'd have to spoil Metal Gear, unless they nominate it for best story which would be really bizarre.

When they're talking top 10 the failures of the story and storytelling better damn well come up.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was about to make a post saying they should have a podcast to retroactively make Max Payne 2 GOTY 2003, but then I saw a list of games from that year and holy shit!

hamchan

Are people forgetting that Jeff is on the record as not hesitating a second saying he'd pick MGSV over Mario Maker for GOTY?

Yes, that could have changed, but the only time he's ever addressed it he didn't blink. He immediately picked MGSV.

When was this?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Why are we talking about Max Payne 3 now? I thought everybody rightfully forgot that game.

Edit: Is it because of MGSV? Are we just talking about disappointing games now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom