• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember when Mario Maker first came out and Jeff and Dan talked about how they just wanted to make good Mario levels and not this trolly gimmicky shit?

AcridMeat

Banned
Bro there is a stun arm upgrade that calls down lightning.

5OY280M.gif
WHAT. I need to get back to that game.

erawsd

Remember when Mario Maker first came out and Jeff and Dan talked about how they just wanted to make good Mario levels and not this trolly gimmicky shit?

They've made those too, no body seems to care about them though. Gotta give the people what they want.

neshcom

Banned
They should give more stats on attempts. The clear percentage is kinda a pointless stat, you really want to know how many people tried, how many attempts the completers had etc

Well, you do see how many people attempted it. I think that's the number next to the feet icon.

Haunted

I've been putting on GB videos in the background as I drift to sleep in the evenings lately.

It has not improved my dreaming experience.

Well, you do see how many people attempted it. I think that's the number next to the feet icon.
I think he means as in really tried, not just saying fuck it after dying to the first bullshit passage 10 seconds in. :p

Lijik

He's been playing it, we'll see what he thinks about it.
keep in mind this is a man who has compared rayman origins to bubsy and wrote off ducktales remastered not because of any weird pacing or padding issues but because it was a two-button game

Joeku

I don't wanna proselytize but I really hope some of the team can play through Life is Strange. Hopefully the last episode coming out during release season doesn't dissuade them cause right now it is fast tracked to being my GotY, and if these fuckers collectively loved The Walking Dead they would very much enjoy it. It's so, so, so damn good.

Come on, GBeast, get on this.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't wanna proselytize but I really hope some of the team can play through Life is Strange. Hopefully the last episode coming out during release season doesn't dissuade them cause right now it is fast tracked to being my GotY, and if these fuckers collectively loved The Walking Dead they would very much enjoy it. It's so, so, so damn good.

yeah. They really should do it when the final episode releases.

It's very rare that GB picks the correct game for GOTY so it's not a surprise.
It's ultimately just an opinion. How can there be a right or wrong?

2007: (if the site existed) would have been Modern Warfare. I think that's fair enough (Super Mario Galaxy is my pick though).
2008: GTA IV. MGS 4 came close, but I think the former is the better game.
2009: Uncharted 2. A no-brainer.
2010: Mass Effect 2. Jeff would never have allowed Red Dead unfortunately.
2011: Skyrim. A close call. People in recent pages here have laid out examples as to why GB picked it over Saint's Row. The #2 pick suffers from a lot of the same flaws that Jeff dislikes Red Dead for. In my view, it would have been more baffling to have Saint's Row elevated arbitrarily in the same way Red Dead was downplayed arbitrarily.
2012: X-COM Enemy Unknown. Proof that they don't always go for the populist or 'traditional' game!
2013: The Last Of Us. Naughty Gods get their second! Not many arguments from me here.
2014: Shadow of Mordor. The main standout in a fairly uninspiring year. Bayonetta 2 is the only one in their top ten I'd argue over it (and I loved Far Cry 4)
2015:
Super Mario Maker.

All of GBeast has expressed interest in playing it so hopefully they decide to play it for a playdate.

I think Life is Strange would have done better in most eyes if it wasn't episodic, or if these last episodes had come a little closer together.

Why's that? I've felt that the episodic nature of the game has been handled well.

I'm really interested in Life is Strange and will probably get it when the last episode is out. Please tell me it's not like TellTale stuff though. I've never liked their writing :(

Joeku

I think Life is Strange would have done better in most eyes if it wasn't episodic, or if these last episodes had come a little closer together.

Possibly, but as far as the actual quality of the game is concerned, it has been served very well by being episodic. Thank god, too, cause some of that episode 1 dialogue...

All of GBeast has expressed interest in playing it so hopefully they decide to play it for a playdate.

It being a playdate is pretty much best case scenario for me, though the time investment would increase with each episode. Wasn't 4 like 4-ish hours long?

neshcom

Banned

Agreed in its perception. TellTale has really screwed the episodic gaming pooch for a lot of people. It's a bummer they've had these longer breaks the last couple of episodes. It does seem like they're taking way more meaningful choices into account compared to TellTale.

Myggen

Is Brad back this week? I seem to remember that he took 2 weeks off. I know Alex's back this week.

edit: Also yes, the episodic structure has never worked well for games because of how unpredictable game development is. Delays and well over a month between episodes can really kill people's interest in a game.

Gap between episodes is long but if somebody were to marathon it, taking a day after each episode is advised. Life is Strange really nails the pacing for an episodic structure.

Jeff's latest is a reasonable, good level, complete with secrets. Logic behind it isn't wildly different from World 7 Castle 1 in Mario 3. Dan's are Mario by way of Irritating Stick.

Joeku

I'm really interested in Life is Strange and will probably get it when the last episode is out. Please tell me it's not like TellTale stuff though. I've never liked their writing :(

Can you clarify what you mean? Cause LiS could not exist in its current form if not for Telltale doing what they did, but they've done it all better. And I love TWD season 1.

Gap between episodes is long but if somebody were to marathon it, taking a day after each episode is advised. Life is Strange really nails the pacing for an episodic structure. .

Deals way better with rises and falls and pacing within an episode than Telltale ever has, yeah. Easily.

In what sense? It's totally a TellTale style of game and it's got some really goofy writing, but it still manages to tell an engaging story with some interesting characters while also doing a great job with player choice. So far I've enjoyed it more than season 1 of The Walking Dead, they just need to nail the ending.

It being a playdate is pretty much best case scenario for me, though the time investment would increase with each episode. Wasn't 4 like 4-ish hours long?
Yeah, episode 4 was around 4 hours and I think the other 3 were around 3 hours.

Can you clarify what you mean? Cause LiS could not exist in its current form if not for Telltale doing what they did, but they've done it all better. And I love TWD season 1.

In what sense? It's totally a TellTale style of game and it's got some really goofy writing, but it still manages to tell an engaging story with some interesting characters while also doing a great job with player choice. So far I've enjoyed it more than season 1 of The Walking Dead, they just need to nail the ending.
I may be alone on this opinion but I felt Walking Dead season 1 quite...manipulative I guess would be the word. Just piling shit on top of shit with a painfully innocent character like Clementine. I also felt the decision stuff was useless which led to the main antagonist in the last episode having a ridiculous motivation. I'm not sure if LiS even has decision stuff.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I may be alone on this opinion but I felt Walking Dead season 1 quite...manipulative I guess would be the word. Just piling shit on top of shit with a painfully innocent character like Clementine. I also felt the decision stuff was useless which led to the main antagonist in the last episode having a ridiculous motivation. I'm not sure if LiS even has decision stuff.

It totally does.

chrixter

Is the fanbase generally expecting Life is Strange to stick the landing with the finale or could it still go either way? I hear it's great so far but I've learned to wait with episodic games until the entire experience is available. Ended up not being much of a fan of TWD S1.

LiS has a lot of the decision stuff, but if you dont like your choice the game gives you the chance to roll a choice back immediately after you make it. Most of the choices feel meaningful so far, but we'll see how much of it actually pays off when the final episode is out.

Joeku

It has decisions and they are meaningful to the story and characters. It's pretty clear to me that the general arc of the season has been in the mind of Dontnod since day one, whereas Telltale feels like it desperately grabs at the threads left over by a previous episode and tries to keep them in line, losing some along the way.

It handles the "episodic" idea waaaaaay better.

LiS has a lot of the decision stuff, but if you dont like your choice the game gives you the chance to roll a choice back immediately after you make it. Most of the choices feel meaningful so far, but we'll see how much of it actually pays off when the final episode is out.

This too. Lord, I'll be so let down if the last episode doesn't land. But considering the time between episodes now and what we've had so far...I have hella faith.

Patryn

So just to fuel speculation, I'll say that recent weeks have me wondering if I'm as 100% sure about making MGS V my GOTY. Mario Maker has been so, so fun. Not saying I'm swaying that way, I'm just saying that I'm not set in stone between the two as of this moment. They're certainly the best two of the year.

Funny you say this, because I honestly thought (but didn't want to say) that if anyone was going to waver, it would be you. You seem to be enjoying this rivalry with Patrick so much that I started thinking thoughts.

I'd be surprised if more Fallout cracks the top 10

Ditto. I think it will, simply because it's newish. I'd be curious if it came out in say, September or August if it would make the list.

tuxfool

Banned

I think being able to see the immediate consequences of your choice is a pretty neat mechanic. It makes you take ownership of a choice in the way that foisting a possible unknown arbitrary result doesn't. It feels very different even if in the end long term consequences remain unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom