• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

It's ultimately just an opinion. How can there be a right or wrong?

2007: (if the site existed) would have been Modern Warfare. I think that's fair enough (Super Mario Galaxy is my pick though).
2008: GTA IV. MGS 4 came close, but I think the former is the better game.
2009: Uncharted 2. A no-brainer.
2010: Mass Effect 2. Jeff would never have allowed Red Dead unfortunately.
2011: Skyrim. A close call. People in recent pages here have laid out examples as to why GB picked it over Saint's Row. The #2 pick suffers from a lot of the same flaws that Jeff dislikes Red Dead for. In my view, it would have been more baffling to have Saint's Row elevated arbitrarily in the same way Red Dead was downplayed arbitrarily.
2012: X-COM Enemy Unknown. Proof that they don't always go for the populist or 'traditional' game!
2013: The Last Of Us. Naughty Gods get their second! Not many arguments from me here.
2014: Shadow of Mordor. The main standout in a fairly uninspiring year. Bayonetta 2 is the only one in their top ten I'd argue over it (and I loved Far Cry 4)
2015:
Super Mario Maker.
nice job always picking mainstream AAA titles GB

(cross-checking my own lists from years past, I also picked Skyrim in 2011, a decision I would not repeat today)

Is the fanbase generally expecting Life is Strange to stick the landing with the finale or could it still go either way? I hear it's great so far but I've learned to wait with episodic games until the entire experience is available. Ended up not being much of a fan of TWD S1.

I can't speak to the fanbase but it's seems like they could stick it? I think either way is a fair bet, but leaning more towards sticking it since Ep 4 ends on the big twist of the story, so all they need to do is wrap it up.

tuxfool

Banned
nice job always picking mainstream AAA titles GB

(cross-checking my own lists from years past, I also picked Skyrim in 2011, a decision I would not repeat today)

I think X-Com stands out immensely in that list. It also redeems the whole GOTY process.

tuxfool

Banned
Is the fanbase generally expecting Life is Strange to stick the landing with the finale or could it still go either way? I hear it's great so far but I've learned to wait with episodic games until the entire experience is available. Ended up not being much of a fan of TWD S1.

I'm optimistic. Their last two episodes have been ramping up almost perfectly, both as episodes and as part of the overarching narrative.

Joeku

I think X-Com stands out immensely in that list. It also redeems the whole GOTY process.

It does, alongside Shadow of Mordor.

Saints Row The Third is such a crazy-better game than Skyrim though. That decision (I blame Ryan for this) still bothers me. The Filibradster, ladies and gentlemen.

Scizzy

I kind of expect a genuine conversation between everyone about the MGSV/MM battle. The two games are so different, so satisfying, and still so held back by obvious shortcomings that I expect it to come down to a genuine discussion about what they value in games.

TraBuch

Banned
Thank you.

So the level is more confusing on what you have to do rather than difficult? This guy had to go into the editor just to beat it? Lame.
Agreed. There's no skill involved. Everything is fairly simple if you know what you're supposed to do, but there's no way of knowing what it is you're supposed to do. It's kinda bullshit, and not in a funny way. I feel like Patrick's stream is going to be boring as hell. A lot of back and forth and "what the fuck am I supposed to be doing now?"

hamchan

Agreed. There's no skill involved. Everything is fairly simple if you know what you're supposed to do, but there's no way of knowing what it is you're supposed to do. It's kinda bullshit, and not in a funny way. I feel like Patrick's stream is going to be boring as hell. A lot of back and forth and "what the fuck am I supposed to be doing now?"

That's what all his streams have been. I think puzzle elements and watching Patrick figure them out are way more interesting than just watching him fail simple execution over and over.

I kind of expect a genuine conversation between everyone about the MGSV/MM battle. The two games are so different, so satisfying, and still so held back by obvious shortcomings that I expect it to come down to a genuine discussion about what they value in games.

I'll be interested to hear if they acknowledge their status as internet media people gives them a unique and better Mario Maker experience.

Is Brad back this week? I seem to remember that he took 2 weeks off. I know Alex's back this week.

edit: Also yes, the episodic structure has never worked well for games because of how unpredictable game development is. Delays and well over a month between episodes can really kill people's interest in a game.

I think so. His presence has certainly been missed.

danm999

It's nice to have a GOTY ahead where I wonder what will make the cut for the top ten as opposed to last year where I wonder what will fill out the bottom half.

danm999

I hope so but my fear is in the past tearing down games or focusing on small flaws is an effective way to advance, whereas the consensus winners get less discussion.

No one here seems to really think Fallout 4 will be a major contender?

We haven't actually seen it in play yet. I'm still expecting it to be a buggy fucking mess on release, and outside of that it will have to do some really amazing things to distinguish itself from "another Bethesda game" with the games that it'd compete against this year.

No one here seems to really think Fallout 4 will be a major contender?
There will be a month between release and when they start to record the GOTY podcasts. There won't be enough time for all of them to thoroughly play it besides whomever reviews it.

I also think they'll be wary of heaping too much praise on a mainline Bethesda game that could be broken on X number of platforms.

It's still the game I'm most looking forward to this year, personally (including past 2015 releases).

valeo

Erm, so all of the Giant Bomb/Dan levels that he's played so far then?

I think if a lot of them end up finishing The Witcher it could be a really strong number 3 or 2.

The last 10 hours or so are stunning.

I think it's my number 1 and I love MGS. Nothing has had as profound an effect on me in gaming this year than the Bloody Baron questline.

chrixter

How so?

edit: You mean stuff like the Mario Maker streams? I'm not sure if that counts for much.
Not just that, but unless you're already an established media personality or were able to garner a following early on, it can be frustratingly difficult to get more than a dozen people to play your levels unless you constantly whore them around the Internet. Jeff and Dan's pre-existing Internet presence (well-earned, of course) no doubt helped catapult both of them into the top 100 global creators list in Mario Maker. Whatever they put out will get played by hundreds/thousands of people.

People on GAF and elsewhere have also said that there's an added layer of joy and satisfaction in watching other people stream their experience of something you've created. Jeff said as much in his recent article. It just takes the excitement of creation to another level. And obviously the more popular a creator you are, the more likely it is that your stuff will be streamed. Jeff even requested that more people post videos of the GB crew's levels.

I have no interest in spamming the Internet with my own levels (SMM is joyous for me either way) so only a couple dozen people have played my level, but it made me very happy to read one Miiverse comment that said the boss fight I spent hours creating was the best they'd played in SMM. I can only imagine what kind of feedback more popular creators get and how it enhances their enjoyment of the game.

Wow
The Jet Moto section of Demo Derby made me so queasy. I had to skip it.

No idea how I was able to play it for so long when I was younger.

Myggen

Not just that, but unless you're already an established media personality or were able to garner a following early on, it can be frustratingly difficult to get more than a dozen people to play your levels unless you constantly whore them around the Internet. Jeff and Dan's pre-existing Internet presence (well-earned, of course) no doubt helped catapult both of them into the top 100 global creators list in Mario Maker. Whatever they put out will get played by hundreds/thousands of people.

People on GAF and elsewhere have also said that there's an added layer of joy and satisfaction in watching other people stream their experience of something you've created. Jeff said as much in his recent article. It just takes the excitement of creation to another level. And obviously the more popular a creator you are, the more likely it is that your stuff will be streamed. Jeff even requested that more people post videos of the GB crew's levels.

I have no interest in spamming the Internet with my own levels (SMM is joyous for me either way) so only a couple dozen people have played my level, but it made me very happy to read one Miiverse comment that said the boss fight I spent hours creating was the best they'd played in SMM. I can only imagine what kind of feedback more popular creators get and how it enhances their enjoyment of the game.

Sure, that's a good point. But I doubt it'll matter much to them come GOTY because those awards have always been about which games they found to be the best, not really taking much into account whether the average joe would've gotten as much enjoyment out of the game as them. But we'll see I guess, stuff like that can be brought up as arguments against the game.

The two people that have been enjoying MM the most (Dan and Jeff) are both gonna choose Metal Gear over it. Dan is obviously picking Metal Gear because its Metal Gear, and Jeff is apparently on record saying he'd also choose Metal Gear over Mario Maker. Metal Gear seems like a forgone winner at this point for GOTY unless a game comes out this winter that really blows them away.

chrixter

Sure, that's a good point. But I doubt it'll matter much to them come GOTY because those awards have always been about which games they found to be the best, not really taking much into account whether the average joe would've gotten as much enjoyment out of the game as them. But we'll see I guess, stuff like that can be brought up as arguments against the game.
Oh, I agree with you that it shouldn't really factor into their GOTY discussions. It should always be about their experiences. I suppose my post was somewhat of a tangent, just wanted to explain how GB is in a position of privilege (again, well-earned) to experience SMM in a way that transcends what's available to average players.

The two people that have been enjoying MM the most (Dan and Jeff) are both gonna choose Metal Gear over it. Dan is obviously picking Metal Gear because its Metal Gear, and Jeff is apparently on record saying he'd also choose Metal Gear over Mario Maker. Metal Gear seems like a forgone winner at this point for GOTY unless a game comes out this winter that really blows them away.

It sounds like Jeff and Dan are having a better time with Mario Maker now than they were before, Dan has already said that his not as confident in MGSV being his GOTY as he was originally.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brad is going to meet his match at deliberations when Dan is on an opposing end. Not that either will have amazing material for their arguments. More that Dan is the only other person that will refuse to concede.

chrixter

It sounds like Jeff and Dan are having a better time with Mario Maker now than they were before, Dan has already said that his not as confident in MGSV being his GOTY as he was originally.
As much as I'd like that to be true to make things more interesting, Dan's just blowing smoke. He's already said MGSV is probably in his top 10 all-time. It was his most anticipated game ever and for him it delivered. I don't think SMM reaches quite that high for him, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom