• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

In a year with Halo 5, MH4U, Bloodborne, the swath of sports titles, Battlefields, Batman, Gears, Dying Light, MGSV? I will be legitimately shocked if it outsells those titles.

Side note: Holy fuck what a year it's been.

Don't underestimate how huge Bethesda games are, especially after Skyrim.

Really? I guess I never really sensed it in my circle/area when it came to the games.

Also Skyrim sells well because it's on sale all the time I'd imagine.

Myggen

Wow, uh, no. No.

Don't underestimate how huge Bethesda games are, especially after Skyrim. The modding community also helps those games to have a lot longer shelf life than most games, Skyrim still sells well on Steam to this day.

In a year with Halo 5, MH4U, Bloodborne, the swath of sports titles, Battlefields, Batman, Gears, Dying Light, MGSV? I will be legitimately shocked if it outsells those titles.

MH4U doesn't have a chance given the platform it's on. Halo 5 will be big but it's an exclusive. Bloodborne sold, what, a couple of millions? Gears won't come out this year, Dying Light didn't sell that well. MGSV is probably more "niche" than Fallout 4 even though it's a huge game. There's no big Battlefield game this year, but the Star Wars game will probably sell well.

The new COD can probably sell more copies than Fallout 4. I have no idea how many copies the sports games sell, but I know that FIFA is a huge seller.

ArjanN

Pretty sure Fallout 3 outsold all those games by millions and Fallout 4 will likely do the same.
Sadly

Fallout definitely has more mainstream traction than most of those. It also multiplatform.

def sim

Bethesda RPGs sell an absurd amount and are incredibly popular games. Glitch, where you've been man?

They are almost in the tier of GTA COD at its prime.

Myggen

Bethesda RPGs sell an absurd amount and are incredibly popular games. Glitch, where you've been man?

They are almost in the tier of GTA COD at its prime.

As of January 2014, Skyrim had sold 20 million copies. Not GTA numbers, but it's absolutely insane for a game like that.

Fallout 3 sold about 6m in its release window whereas a CoD or FIFA will sell like 15m before the year is out.

Fallout 4 will probably sell more than 3 based on the success of Skyrim alone. That really put Bethesda on the map in a way no other game has.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you want to go down the FIFA route, nothing's going to outsell that this year.

But Fallout will come the closest. It will certainly blow MGS and Bloodborne and the like out of the fucking water in sales.

def sim

apparently under a rock

I was burned by Fallout 3 bad when it released so I'm giving 4 a wide berth until it gets fixed.

I didn't realize how popular they've become until 2012, to be fair. I haven't played Skyrim yet, so I don't fully understand it.

Fallout 3 sold about 6m in its release window whereas a CoD or FIFA will sell like 15m before the year is out.

Skyrim is what changed expectations. FO3 was 2008.

SomberOwl

I honestly don't think it has a chance in hell of being in top 5, and a decent chance of not being in the Top 10.

I think it will be crucified as just being "more Fallout." The backlash to the game is already in full force.

If there's any game that hasn't come out that will place high, it will be Just Cause 3.

Backlash from who?

Is that really the fanfare behind these games? Maybe I should go back and listen to those Skyrim GOTY stuff, I've really honestly never heard high praise of those games. More like a 7 range of "yeah this is a good game, but there's some huge issues."

I played Skyrim and Fallout 3 (and New Vegas with the girlfriend) and Bethesda never clicked for me. Fallout 3 especially...

Eh, guess I'm wrong about that. Will be fun to see how it goes with the crew.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Skyrim is right now in the top ten games being played on Steam, and just about always is.

More people are playing Skyrim than GTA5 or MGS5 currently.

Skyrim is right now in the top ten games being played on Steam, and just about always is.

I maintain that it'll not even be close to outselling "everything else this year" handily i.e. the original statement.

No-one's saying it won't be popular or won't have a long tail.

Also no-one is playing Skyrim on consoles.

Myggen

More people are playing Skyrim than GTA5 or MGS5 currently.

Yeah, mods will keep that game thriving until the next TES comes out, and then that game will thrive until another TES game comes out. It's no wonder Bethesda tried to get a cut of the mods released for their games, as boneheaded as their approach was.

204100_2015-10-11_000r3j4k.png

204100_2013-08-13_000ncuwi.png
Look at how sick that shit is
bottom screenshot is old, can now play at 4k, 120 FPS <3

def sim

Shit tons of people did when it came out and for several years after it. Of course they aren't as much now because they're 4 years old on an old set of consoles.

Yeah, steamspy has Skyrim short of 10 million. Myggen pointed out it has a total of 20 mil as of January 2014. Half the fanbase are on consoles, duders.

Myggen

holy god this genuine video at the end of the demo derby is amazing

love the "even white boys got to shout" moment at the end with the hats

Marino also gave them the PS Underground disc which has the MST3K guys talking over footage from previous demo discs. GB talking over that will almost be too meta.

Patryn

I maintain that it'll not even be close to outselling "everything else this year" handily i.e. the original statement.

No-one's saying it won't be popular or won't have a long tail.

Also no-one is playing Skyrim on consoles.

I'd be shocked if Fallout 4 isn't in the top 3 selling games of the year.

I'm surprised people are questioning the popularity of Fallout when it's big enough to justify having an E3 conference basically by itself. It's literally the only reason Bethesda did a conference. Doom is not enough to justify one.

AJLma

Max Payne 3 would've been a classic like the old ones if it wasn't for the overdone psychedelic bullshit.

I can't get through the first 15 minutes of it on a second playthrough just because of that.

Max Payne 3 has an arcade mode that cuts out 80% of the cutscenes.

Edit: and because almost everything in the game is real time the arcade mode lets you play as one of the 10+ costumes Max has throughout the game or the unlockable costumes.
Like GBA Max!

AJLma

Max Payne 3 has an arcade mode that cuts out 80% of the cutscenes.

Edit: and because almost everything in the game is real time the arcade mode lets you play as one of the 10+ costumes Max has throughout the game or the unlockable costumes.
Like GBA Max!

Oh? *reinstalls*

I'd be shocked if Fallout 4 isn't in the top 3 selling games of the year.

I'm surprised people are questioning the popularity of Fallout when it's big enough to justify having an E3 conference basically by itself. It's literally the only reason Bethesda did a conference. Doom is not enough to justify one.

No-one is questioning the popularity of Fallout but it won't be the best selling game this year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Let me tell you about a TPS called Binary Domain. It's got robots, shooting off limbs, Big Bo and
human-robot procreation

I know so many people who have bought consoles just to play Bethesda games and then never touch them again. there's a good reason that people that play a ton of games already might not be super into Mass Appeal: The Game, regardless of how well done it is

but I loved GTA V so what do I know

My friends and I are really good at Battlefront.

also really good at dropping 107mb gifs in a forum thread, wtf

Was literally fixed before you posted

LIAR!

I'd be hard pressed to find 1 game that has better third person shooting than Max Payne 3.

Vanquish is probably the big one. I don't even like that game that much, but boy do I like sliding into people and then shooting in slo-mo. There is a certain weightiness to Max Payne 3's shooting that nothing else really replicates.

Vanquish is probably the big one. I don't even like that game that much, but boy do I like sliding into people and then shooting in slo-mo. There is a certain weightiness to Max Payne 3's shooting that nothing else really replicates.

I love Vanquish as much as the next gun but the shooting of MP3 is much better I think, the overall mobility and stuff of Vanquish is better but the minute to minute shooting is just too good to top in MP3.

I'm looking forward to Fallout 4. I don't need it to be some revolutionary game. An updated Fallout 3 is good enough for me, I loved Fallout 3.

Max Payne 3 at 120+ fps is unbelievable. I feel bad for the people who can't understand this joy more than anything.

And Fear is also grand and it's a shame the sequels didn't come close to the original in any shape or form. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom