• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, that's why Jeff likes that game!?!?!
To be clear, I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking about
robots and humans having children
. The story of Binary Domain is amazing. Normal people realizing they've been robots their whole lives is the setup for the game.

danm999

At least in GOTY 2015 we can finally settle the ancient philosophical debate of video games; Metal Gear's "war has changed" vs. Fallout's "war never changes".

I kind of admire how fucking stupid and weird the FEAR games got with each iteration, it's just a shame that they also became worse games each time.

also more people should play Binary Domain...

Joeku

Gears 3, Dead Space 2, SOCOM 2, Binary Domain, Vanquish...Mass Effect 3?

Mass Effect 3 mixes in its space magic really well with the shooting, guys. Being a vanguard was dope as hell.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I replayed FEAR earlier this year and sorry, but that game does not hold up.

What part of it?

I kind of admire how fucking stupid and weird the FEAR games got with each iteration, it's just a shame that they also became worse games each time.

also more people should play Binary Domain...

Was it FEAR 2 where the player character was raped by the ghost girl? Or was that in one of the DLC chapters?

danm999

. The story of Binary Domain is amazing. Normal people realizing they've been robots their whole lives is the setup for the game.

Oh ok. I was starting to wonder if Jeff's enjoyment of Gal Gun was a little more superficial than I imagined.

Cylons, got it.

I'm going to say it, I like FEAR 3.
Binary Domain is so good, I hope we'll get another one some day even though I know it's almost impossible.

I think Fear holds up pretty well, AI is still really fun and the repetitive environments were just as much of a flaw at launch as they are now.

Fear 3 isn't awful but the environments are really static and the areas are too linear to be able to use your powers in any interesting ways. The run like hell or whatever multiplayer mode was really fun though.

And Fear 2 was ok, I just remember thinking how much better Fear 1 was in every way but graphics.

FEAR 1 and 2 were awesome, and 3 gave us the best video game name of all time, Paxton Fettel.

Or maybe he was in earlier games?

he was literally the main bad guy in 1. and then you find out that he was your twin or something and then he haunts you the entire game in 3

2 is... I don't know why 2 exists

jgminto

FEAR plays really well but the mission structure is pretty dull, it doesn't do enough with it. Max Payne 3 is the shit though.

Paxton Fettel was there since FEAR 1. He was the other main antagonist besides Alma

he was literally the main bad guy in 1. and then you find out that he was your twin or something and then he haunts you the entire game in 3

2 is... I don't know why 2 exists

Oh, ok. It's still a great name.

Has anybody played those games recently? I remember everyone was all about the enemy AI. I wonder if it holds up.

Fantastapotamus

Has anybody played those games recently? I remember everyone was all about the enemy AI. I wonder if it holds up.

I played it 2 years ago and thought the AI was still ways better than anything we have nowadays. It's so rare that a squad of enemies will actually try to pin you down while some other squad members move out to flank you.

By the way, you can play as both MP 1 and MP2 Max as unlockable skins in Max Payne 3's arcade mode. Play this wonderful game again <3

Add me on steam and then request to watch my gameplay to see that hot mlgpromp3 action.

Max Payne 3 is the game that showed me how much difference 120FPS+ can make in gameplay. It's insane how smooth the shooting becomes and how effortless it is to take enemies out.

Played 1 for the first time last year and it held up really well, tried playing 2 afterwards on two separate occasions and couldn't get into it. Haven't played 3 since launch but I've thought about going back to it multiple times.

I played 1 again last year. the gunfights are still way fun but the level design etc seem pretty dated.

2 is just kind of a bad game

I played it 2 years ago and thought the AI was still ways better than anything we have nowadays. It's so rare that a squad of enemies will actually try to pin you down while some other squad members move out to flank you.

Played 1 for the first time last year and it held up really well, tried playing 2 afterwards on two separate occasions and couldn't get into it. Haven't played 3 since launch but I've thought about going back to it multiple times.

Cool. I do have fond memories of that first game, and I remember very little of the second game. I wonder if I can get FEAR running at 4k.

Its not Xander Drax

You're not wrong.

Word of warning, if you've ever used a logitech mouse or currently do Fear has all sorts of bizarre performance issues that you will have to get around. Hopefully you can avoid these, but I'm just telling you now in case you load it up and wonder what the fuck is going on.

Fantastapotamus

one thing that's inarguable though is that FEAR's bolt gun is probably like, top 10 of all time game guns material

Yes.
Also the Shotgun is really satisfying.

it was also one of the first games I remember where grenades explode on contact, which is cool as fuck in slomo

Yes.
2_by_thesheerog-d718eje.gif

Yes. So good.
Fear should be Giantbomb's GotY

FEAR 1 is still amazing, and the AI deserves all the hype; reactive, adaptive, and fun.
I have a RAT 7 mouse, which looks like a Transformer.

[EDIT] I don't know what my point was.
I derided this mouse (Proteus Core G502, below) for looking like a transformer many times...
g502.png

...so, of course, when it came time to buy one I ended up with it.

Dammit.

Rainmaker

Banned
I'm looking forward to Fallout 4. I don't need it to be some revolutionary game. An updated Fallout 3 is good enough for me, I loved Fallout 3.

That's exactly how I feel and, I don't know, the base-building stuff actually seems pretty interesting to me? I know Bethesda games aren't the greatest thing to people nowadays for whatever reason but I've had some of the most fun I've ever had with a video game exploring in their worlds. Specifically Fallout 3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm surprised they haven't remastered the first two Dead Space games to gauge interest in a reboot. I guess it hasn't been dead long enough enough.

1 is one of my favorite games of that last generation. And 2 is definitely a top 50.

Heimbeck

Banned
I'm surprised they haven't remastered the first two Dead Space games to gauge interest in a reboot. I guess it hasn't been dead long enough enough.

1 is one of my favorite games of that last generation. And 2 is definitely a top 50.

I don't think EA is intrested in doing remasters, they haven't done any so far.

Joeku

I could totally see a Dead Sp4ce showing up in a few years along the lines of Mirror's Edge. They'll call it the return of the third-person horror genre after this trend of Amnesia-likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom