• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope that after all this, they don't feel the need to make their next GB Mario Maker stream level absolutely entirely impossible and exploit-free. Most of the fun of the first two levels, particularly the first, was seeing all the workarounds people took to get through them in different ways.

I think this is something that's causing some people to subconsciously dislike the approach Dan's taken here. Part of the fun of the first few levels was seeing how Dan's lack of foresight and Patrick's surplus of overthinking caused this glorious trainwreck of unintentional misdirection and exploits. Then as soon as it's really become A Thing, Dan immediately raises the stakes to final showdown level with a level that's supposed to be the be all end all and that deliberately undoes one of the aspects that made it cool.

I mean it's all just fun and it'll be funny to see Patrick flail but I can see why people think this is a poor angle that the WWE writer's room has cooked up here.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I mean it's all just fun and it'll be funny to see Patrick flail but I can see why people think this is a poor angle that the WWE writer's room has cooked up here.

You're selling them short. This has a proper beginning, escalation of the feud, a clear good and bad guy, and the lack of a direct confrontation until the stakes are highest. The internet collectively wishes that WWE could meet those bare minimum criteria for a compelling story.

Hagi

They've raised a lot for charity so all's well that ends well. I'm constantly surprised at how awesome a community they have.

Frith

thats why i think the level creator loophole is the best, dan got help to get rid of sploits but left the biggest one wide open.

Hagi

yep its pretty amazing

This will be my first time following Extra Life so I'm excited to see what the community do for it as well as the crew. I watched a clip recently where Brad thinks only like 20 people are streaming under GB and Rory told him it was more like 120.

AcridMeat

Banned
the only thing i hope they do for the next mario maker stream is less emphasis on sections covered in enemy spam and then they need to put a mushroom there so the player can just take a hit and run through the enemies while invincible
less of that and more fucked up platforming would be fun
Agreed. It's funny to see while building it, but it means nothing when someone actually goes through the level.

Here in Florida, there is but one all-encompassing arcade game that has an iron grip on every single public establishment...

prod0116.jpg

All right, time to catch up on what the hell happened today.

Patrick's Mario Maker archive, something about Windjammers(?)... I have no idea what else. Scanlon Ep7 will be saved for tomorrow.

BearPawB

Banned
I think that Patrick doesn't want to just keep getting Dan challenges until the end of time. He wants to play other peoples stuff. And Dan probably realized that. So I understand why they stepped it up to the "final showdown" level so quickly.

I don't think Dan patching exploits is wrong. He wants to see if Patrick can beat the level as he intended, not by some fluke. And I think Patrick also wants to beat it that way

Crowdsourcing play testing to identify possible exploits in his level is definitely a contentious issue but that's exactly what this battle between good and evil needed to be complete. If I were a ref, I would disqualify Dan but I imagine if I were the ref Dan would have "unintentionally" knock me unconscious while he was doing it.

I believe that is my first wrestling reference.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I should really watch the Brad/Ryan Endurance Run one of these days, I never did.

I should really watch the Brad/Ryan Endurance Run one of these days, I never did.

That's the only one I'd seen of the two, so I'm going back and watching the VJ version. Maybe my memory is failing me, but they seem to be a lot more down on the game so far than Brad and Ryan were at this point in the game (on episode 11 now).

daydream

Banned
i didn't watch the whole mario maker mornings episode, didn't look like patrick made a lot of progress, though

dan really went all-out on this one, jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom