• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually really curious about this. Do game scores matter to publishers as much anymore? If so, wouldn't they be sure to put their best foot forward and send out PC codes? Or are they actually unaware of the issues on console?

Most of their revenue is from console people, where most of the mainstream people are.

danm999

Most of their revenue is from console people, where most of the mainstream people are.

Yeah but wouldn't you send out the PC version, which by all accounts performs best, and rely on a lot of reviewers not really specifying which version they played or not doing due diligence and not trying other versions?

Seems to be how Skyrim squeaked through for instance.

Meneses

Man, five minutes in to both the AssCreed and Tomb Raider QLs and I had to shut them off. Can't do it. Those games are just dull as dishwater to me.

Man, same here.

And to me it feels so weird seeing Tomb Raider's review mention the Ubi-fication of the game (i.e. cluttered maps filled with stuff "to do") as a positive aspect, that's part of what turns me off about today's games.

popo

Did Giant Bomb just swear on the Gamespot stream?

Does Gamespot allow swears?

Since the John Davison (limited) era.

Catering to an audience of 200 people, based on their usual viewer numbers.

That is the thing. If the audience is not interested in a lot of the best content made by the smarted employees you can't really blames the exces for saying "fuck it, give them trailers and top 10 lists and let them choke on it".

Yeah but wouldn't you send out the PC version, which by all accounts performs best, and rely on a lot of reviewers not really specifying which version they played or not doing due diligence and not trying other versions?

Seems to be how Skyrim squeaked through for instance.

I think if companies do that it will just show to people that they have more faith in the PC version than consoles which should always be the other way around because PC's shouldn't have any problems because of their flexibility as a platform however, you then get things like Arkham Knight, which is a fucking mess.

I really hope they don't hire Scoops again.

Oh, so you're that guy. I think what I miss most about Patrick is his back and forth with the other members as well as him usually giving the benefit of the doubt to an opposite thing before dismissing it entirely.

An-Det

Damn, with today's 11/10/2015 podcast, it's been a year since I started listening to the podcast in order (while also keeping up with them as they release). I'm up to the 8/9/2011 cast, so maybe this time next year I'll be fully caught up.

Man, same here.

And to me it feels so weird seeing Tomb Raider's review mention the Ubi-fication of the game (i.e. cluttered maps filled with stuff "to do") as a positive aspect, that's part of what turns me off about today's games.

But things have justification for them to be there and it doesn't feel like another check list. Furthermore, this is metroidvania in design so most of the stuff you aren't able to do or get to until you progress in the game and then you can return later to reach cool new places, nothing like UBI open world games that's for sure.

assassins-creed-unity-map.png

Meneses

But things have justification for them to be there and it doesn't feel like another check list. Furthermore, this is metroidvania in design so most of the stuff you aren't able to do or get to until you progress in the game and then you can return later to reach cool new places, nothing like UBI open world games that's for sure.

Yeah, the Metroid-y aspect of it is what makes me actually wanna try Tomb Raider, but knowing me i'll probably get bored easily.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So, I'm noticing that the only four 5 star reviews this year have been Mario Maker, Undertale, Axiom Verge, and Metal Gear Solid V. I checked but I might be missing one.

I can see Mario Maker winning it due to MGSV's circumstances. However I can see MGSV somehow winning if someone(Possibly Dan) pulls a 'Brad' and argues that game to death at the exact right time. An out of nowhere winner would honestly be Undertale. I don't see Axiom Verge winning when they look back on it.

Also unless I am mistaken, I cannot find a review score for Bloodborne. Was it removed because of the new edition coming out in the same year?

Yeah, the Metroid-y aspect of it is what makes me actually wanna try Tomb Raider, but knowing me i'll probably get bored easily.

That's exactly why I'm digging it so far but I am with you that open world games are TIRING. Especially after playing Arkham Knight, Mad Max, MGS5 and now Rise of the Tomb Raider all very close to each other. I get real happy whenever I get a more focused game.

danm999

Also unless I am mistaken, I cannot find a review score for Bloodborne. Was it removed because of the new edition coming out in the same year?

They didn't review Bloodborne. It's one of a few games like The Witcher 3 and Rocket League I think has an honest shot at the top ten.

Blastoise

Banned
I don't even own a WiiU or have touched Mario Maker. But if that game wins GOTY its totally justifiable in my eyes.

EDIT: I'm still salty at how Mordor was the default winner last year. Such an average game. The arguments for that game were some of the weakest on the podcast.

jaina

Haha, no writing a review just didn't fit within the schedule. Your second paragraph contains valid predictions, we'll have to wait how many of them play Undertale

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't review Bloodborne. It's one of a few games like The Witcher 3 and Rocket League I think has an honest shot at the top ten.

Haha, no writing a review just didn't fit within the schedule. Your first paragraph contains valid predictions, we'll have to wait how many of them play Undertale

Odd. Here's hoping they get a second shot at reviewing Bloodborne since the expansion is coming. I'm going to guess Brad reviews it and it gets a 4 or 5. I'd rather take him reviewing it because he's Platinumed the game and would have the most input about every single thing(chalice dungeons/side stuff) contained in it.

Also I forgot about Rocket League. That game was lightning in a bottle. I thought they would play it consistently through the year like Windjammers but it just didn't happen.

LiK

oh man, i'm planning on doing some chores at home next week and i got so much Extra Life archive to watch. pretty excited.

StoveOven

Banned
Odd. Here's hoping they get a second shot at reviewing Bloodborne since the expansion is coming. I'm going to guess Brad reviews it and it gets a 4 or 5. I'd rather take him reviewing it because he's Platinumed the game and would have the most input about every single thing(chalice dungeons/side stuff) contained in it.

Also I forgot about Rocket League. That game was lightning in a bottle. I thought they would play it consistently through the year like Windjammers but it just didn't happen.

They won't review Bloodborne. The moment past and Giant Bomb isn't attached to the idea of reviewing everything that comes out

chekhonte

I liked how the crew was talking about trying to embrace the jank in Fallout 4. I can't play it until the weekend as I'm out of town but that's how I'm going to try to look at it. I used to completely embrace the jank when playing morrowind and Oblivion but it was getting turned off at the lack of polish of bethesda games afterwords.

I'm going to try to embrace the jankyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom