• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Edit: I have the worst luck with top of the page posts, so here's vinny

utS9rj6.gif

who are you talking about specifically?

If I say who then I'm almost doing the same thing, and also it's really not the worst example of that kind of behaviour. It just strikes me as really odd, but it seems to come with the territory on twitter. I can't articulate my problem with it very well, but if you're communicating directly with someone one second, and the next second retweeting what they've said to your followers and being like "this guy, right guys?", I think that's weird as hell.

kvk1

Ever start writing a paper, and you get like 8-10 pages in, and you realize the content of the paper has nothing in relation to the title you gave it.

And you're just like, well I guess this is happening.

Xater

I had someone comment on one of the Beastcast clips I've uploaded that he was glad he wasn't a Premium member because that would mean his money would go towards keeping a "fucking liberal" like Austin employed :p

I would love to hear what he thinks the other guys are. Just a fascinating perspective because of how crazy it is.

Ever start writing a paper, and you get like 8-10 pages in, and you realize the content of the paper has nothing in relation to the title you gave it.

That's why I always name them at the end.

Was Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash really rushed or what?

I'm going to say this, I think Nintendo is stretched too thin. They are basically the only supporters of their platform and they try to get as many game out as possible.

The other thing is I don't even know if Nintendo or Camelot know why people really liked some of the older games. Especially the ones with RPG elements because for whatever bullshit reason those never returned.

mintyice

Title it after and make it super pretentious. Worked for all my papers!

Gonzalez

Banned
Is Dan wearing a shirt that is a spoof on OCD in that Amiibo Festival Festival video?
Edit: Nope wait... Sorry, his beer gut is just covering the bottom part of the A.

Haunted

Was Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash really rushed or what?
Camelot has been churning out extremely similar Mario Sports games for a while, and they haven't really gotten better with time. They started out as strong games and ended as low budget, mediocre vehicles for paraphernalia sales with reused assets and thoughtless actual design.

It was the same with Hudson and Mario Party (remember that fucking Gamecube microphone?).

New Mario Tennis looks really stripped down. I could go for a nice modern Mario Tennis with a lot of content. Shame that this game is not that.

danm999

I had someone comment on one of the Beastcast clips I've uploaded that he was glad he wasn't a Premium member because that would mean his money would go towards keeping a "fucking liberal" like Austin employed :p

I mean.

Wasn't there a segment on the Bombcast last year where they called Rush Limbaugh a piece of shit?

Bit weird to single out Austin.

Probably the same kind of people who hated on Klepek before. I get that people like the dumb stuff, but that doesn't automatically mean that they have to hate on the smart stuff.

If it's the "social justice warrior" angle, I don't know how these people are GB fans in the first place - no one there enables or tolerates their ilk.

The thing is, people don't come to Giant Bomb for political or social commentary. And Giant Bomb itself typically doesn't trade in it either except in specific cases (like the dumb backlash to Dan/Jason being hired). A lot of people come to Giant Bomb because its funny, exciting, and largely an escape from the social commentary that is so pervasive elsewhere. So when that kind of stuff makes its way into the Bombcast/Beastcast via Patrick or Austin, some people are going to get upset. Personally, I don't blame them. When it comes up, my brain goes numb like it does with Destiny talk.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The thing is, people don't come to Giant Bomb for political or social commentary. And Giant Bomb itself typically doesn't trade in it either except in specific cases (like the dumb backlash to Dan/Jason being hired). A lot of people come to Giant Bomb because its funny, exciting, and largely an escape from the social commentary that is so pervasive elsewhere. So when that kind of stuff makes its way into the Bombcast/Beastcast via Patrick or Austin, some people are going to get upset. Personally, I don't blame them. When it comes up, my brain goes numb like it does with Destiny talk.

There aren't really that much political talk...? Or any. I can't think of an example.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't think any social commentary they've engaged in has ever felt out of place or excessive. If something comes up that warrants that kind of discussion, or they feel it's appropriate to bring it up, then I think they should.

It's not something to pick and choose. Austin and Patrick are Austin and Patrick because they care about social issues. That's part of the personality and person that we enjoy listening to. Games tie into our culture more and more as time goes on, and I'm glad someone like Austin has a unique perspective on it and can go in-depth on the topic because it's something that should be explored, even sometimes on a personality-driven entertainment site.

Jintor

it's not like austin brings it up outta nowhere. it's usually got to do with internet people being assholes about something, from memory. (occasionally public gaming people being jackasses about something)

Jintor

also it's been said before and it'll be said again but the idea that you can escape from social commentary is a great luxury and peeps should at least try to be aware that it is a luxury

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like, I vaguely remember austin talking about how people have been asking him about black on black crime but I can't remember the context of it.

I feel like most of their opinions on those kinds of topics are rarely surfaced on the site, most of the time it comes from comments that they make on twitter and that applies to all of the staff not just Austin and Patrick.

Zaph

Yeah, I completely understand anyone who wants to treat gaming and the content around it as just an escape - a reason to switch off and just have fun. Hell, if we cared about the injustices and imbalances in every industry that touches our lives, there wouldn't be enough time in the day to do anything.

Where it crosses the line is the attempts to shout down and demand someone not talk about it. If you don't have the ability to ignore stuff you don't like, plenty of other websites out there.

danm999

I'd buy the "he's ruining my escapism" angle if I hadn't seen comments from YouTube clips and otherwise bringing up stuff Austin has said outside Giant Bomb or before his time at Giant Bomb.

Let's be frank; it's salty Gators. This is what they do.

i would down vote austin because of his views of mass effect 3

Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 are 99% excellent games that have a bummer ending but unlike a lot of people the ending of 3 didn't sour me on the series or 3 itself. I still loved my time with it.

#TeamAustin

I'm worried about Andromeda though. Bioware has not written a good main story in years. I suppose a more open Mass Effect could benefit from that as Bioware's best writing has been around the side stories and characters.

Haunted

Hiring Austin after Patrick left is a clear statement by Jeff that he wants someone on staff that is equipped to talk about these issues when they come up (while hiring Dan was a committal to "the dumb stuff").

On a tangentially related sidenote, I think that there were quite a few among the GB fanbase who were actually shocked, surprised and felt betrayed when Jeff (and the rest of the crew) spoke out so clearly and obviously against all the misogynistic gamergate bullshit. I do believe there were quite a few that believed that Jeff and co. were on "their side" because they don't speak of these topics that often (when in fact, they just weren't listening close enough).

The GB comment section was a warzone for a while, but I think most of the sexist assholes have been filtered out by now. Like we sometimes see with GAF-related videos, Youtube downvoting/commenting is what the scum has left.

Brad mentioned a couple of times how bonkers the Starcraft II story gets by the end of Legacy of the Void. Anybody care to spoil it for me?

I second this. I got like 5 missions into Wings of Liberty before realizing I much prefer Warcraft. Chances are i'll never play HotS or LotV so i'd love to hear how the story gets bonkers.

mass effect 1 > 2 > 3

Gameplay wise 3 > 1 > 2

Story wise 1 > 2 > 3

This is some ole BS right here.

First the "backlash" to the Dan and Jason hiring, wasnt a backlash as a conversation about adding some different voices to the Giant Bomb stable. Topics about gaming do come up where not being a white male would add a fresh perspective on the topic. It wasn't that they shouldn't have been hired but ensuring that they were looking at least to broaden their horizons.

And to say your brain goes numb when they bring up a topic that challenges your views or makes you uncomfortable, says more about you then any criticism you have about their viewpoints.

Dineren

Banned
Listening to the Beastcast, it's nice to hear that Austin is enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles X so far. I was going to pick it up regardless, but his description of it as a "weird sci-fi Deadly Premonition" makes me even more interested.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually about to start Mass Effect 3, because Austin talked so positively about it. I loved 1 & 2 and all the negative talk pulled me away from 3.

Quick question: what's the difference between the 19.99€ one and the 9.99€ + 4.99€ one?

unbenanntofoss.jpg

Zaph

Listening to the Beastcast, it's nice to hear that Austin is enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles X so far. I was going to pick it up regardless, but his description of it as a "weird sci-fi Deadly Premonition" makes me even more interested.

Err what?

From this week's beastcast? I need to listen

How the fuck is 1 better than 2 gameplay wise?
I don't want to be rude but this the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and I hope you are ashamed of yourself.

I prefer the RPG with shooting gameplay over the shooter with RPG gameplay. ME1 was an RPG first and that's more my style. Also, the Mako is fun as hell. No shame, only truth.

Xater

Today is not only the 25th Birthday of the SNES but also of F-Zero. Of course Nintendo has jack shit for that. I'm like in an abusive relationship with Nintendo, because all my favorite series are underserved.

Heimbeck

Banned
I prefer the RPG with shooting gameplay over the shooter with RPG gameplay. ME1 was an RPG first and that's more my style.

But I mean, ME1 just sucked at doing much combat and was generally a mess in that department.
I think ME is better in some ways to ME2 but I would never put gameplay over it.
I can undesrtand what you're saying... I think.

Also, the Mako is fun as hell. No shame, only truth.

Woah.
The Mako was pretty cool.

Patryn

Mass Effect?

Overall: 1 > 2 > 3

Gameplay: 3 > 2 > 1

Story: 1 > 3 > 2

2 barely has a main story. I consider the loyalty missions side quests.

Let me add this is coming from someone who considers Mass Effect 1 as my favorite game of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom