• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintyice

When did SC2's story get so shit? Wasn't the first one praised because the story was actually really good, especially for an RTS?

Do people seriously think that games journalists shouldn't publish information about unannounced games if it's given to them? I'm seeing a lot of that in response to the Kotaku blacklisting and it's mind-boggling how subservient to publisher marketing plans some people want games sites to be.

I'm just so confused. Especially when it's from people who are super into the whole ethics thing supposedly.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
When did SC2's story get so shit? Wasn't the first one praised because the story was actually really good, especially for an RTS?

It seems most people would say that it turned sour from the start of SC2. It was officially the Kerrigan and Raynor show by that point with a generic ancient evil story in the background.

Do people seriously think that games journalists shouldn't publish information about unannounced games if it's given to them? I'm seeing a lot of that in response to the Kotaku blacklisting and it's mind-boggling how subservient to publisher marketing plans some people want games sites to be.

I'm just so confused. Especially when it's from people who are super into the whole ethics thing supposedly.

THEY RUINED THE SURPRISE. Committing a crime against marketing is the worst sort of crime. Mah hype!

No, the story was always garbage. But the campaign was really fun. I barely remember what happened in SC2 but I remember that amazing holdout mission at the end.

Robaperas

This Mario Tennis Quickest Look shown every part of the game... that last advice sums it up real good, "Don't buy this game".

mintyice

I mean games press is just the mouth piece for publishers now. Games press just boils down to marketing for a game's release and generating hype.

I mean you see devs cutting out the middleman by having their own in house PR youtube channels for trailers and stuff. Why bother sending that stuff out to outlets when you can just generate your own stories and press in house? Nintendo Direct is a great example.

I mean, what is real games journalism anyway? Long form articles and interviews?

Or is it just slapping trailers on a site

Oliver Platt

images

But a CGI version to make him look younger.

How about Jon Favreau

jonfavreau1.jpg

kiguel182

Yeah, I think so. What's the problem of letting publishers follow their marketing plan? There's nothing ethical about revealing that stuff. Let publishers reveal their products the way they want to.

I agree with 90 per cent of what Kotaku reports but I don't see the value in leaking games. What's with the us vs them attitude? Publishers aren't doing anything wrong by having a marketing plan you know...

EDIT: Telling us about how terrible the conditions are in a company, or the inside story of the development of a game have tons of value and work put into it. Releasing some leaked screenshots that just mess some companies marketing plans is just unnecessary. But yeah, companies are evil and we need to fight them I guess.

Hey Giant Bomb thread, I need a new mouse. I'm looking for a Bluetooth mouse under $80 that works nicely on OS X. Bonus points if it doesn't look like a Reaper ship but I know that's a tall order for most mice.

Nero18

Yeah, I think so. What's the problem of letting publishers follow their marketing plan? There's nothing ethical about revealing that stuff. Let publishers reveal their products the way they want to.

I agree with 90 per cent of what Kotaku reports but I don't see the value in leaking games. What's with the us vs them attitude? Publishers aren't doing anything wrong by having a marketing plan you know...

EDIT: Telling us about how terrible the conditions are in a company, or the inside story of the development of a game have tons of value and work put into it. Releasing some leaked screenshots that just mess some companies marketing plans is just unnecessary. But yeah, companies are evil and we need to fight them I guess.

Still not a reason to blacklist an outlet, such an obvious attempt to filter out negative news about their games, only cooperate with outlets they know play ball.

FluxWaveZ

Always shit. Like Brad talks about in the latest Bombcast, StarCraft and Brood War were fueled by internal conflicts, politics, betrayals, intergalactic strife between races, etc. Really compelling stuff. Then SC2 made it a literal love story, with the completely generic "rally the races to save the world" crap.

And the epilogue went full Mass Effect 3. Apparently a lot of Blizzard's stories are garbage nowadays, so some were relating it to some of their other games. Really, really disappointing conclusion to this saga.

jaina

I don't expect them to play Life is Strange past the morning or TWD today. That's already long enough.
So I opened up Origin on my PC after a while and noticed that they're offering something called "Game Time" for Titanfall. I didn't know what that was and looked it up, turns out they let you play the game for 48 hours (I'm assuming 48 hours in real life after you start up the game) without any other limitations, and they have same kind of trials for Sims 4 and BF4, too (168 hours with Battlefield, even).

With that and the refund policy they have on Origin EA is actually doing some cool stuff, even if I don't necessarily agree with the way their games have been lately. One weekend is pretty much how long I'd see myself playing a Sims game anyway, and just having these as ongoing promotions is a better way to handle it than Steam's free weekends.
Yeah, EA Access, Origin refunds, Game Time / Free Weekends is some good ground EA is treading. Opposite side of the spectrum is Mass Effect DLC prices.

kiguel182

Still not a reason to blacklist an outlet, such an obvious attempt to filter out negative news about their games, only cooperate with outlets they know play ball.

Never said it was. I was just explaining why some people don't think leaking games is good.

I think it's more people hating on Kotaku than actually feeling that way. I think if this article had come out of GB or another overall liked site then the response would be different.

popo

Anyone hear a date on the retail version of Bloodborne GOTY edition? I see digital listed but I want the disc. Well, rent the disc hopefully, if it is not a packed in code.

Mr. F

Banned
So this has probably been talked about a few times, but is Undertale genuinely as good/funny as they're making it out to be? I'm starting to feel like it's getting too far gone to try playing at this point with how hard people are championing it and its humour.

FluxWaveZ

So this has probably been talked about a few times, but is Undertale genuinely as good/funny as they're making it out to be? I'm starting to feel like it's getting too far gone to try playing at this point with how hard people are championing it and its humour.

If you're trying to question what it goes for or how good/funny it actually is before playing it—measured by the hype that surrounds it—I tend to think you've already lost and you won't enjoy it.

Mario Tennis looks like it could be a fun $10-15 game. The fact that they're selling this for $50 is hilarious.

Eh, just don't listen to the hype and give it a try yourself. You might like it. Its certainly not the worst 10 dollars I've spent.

If you're trying to question what it goes for or how good/funny it actually is before playing it—measured by the hype that surrounds it—I tend to think you've already lost and you won't enjoy it.
Yup, it's not worth basing your expectations off of other opinions when opinions can be so subjective, especially when you're talking about humour.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I'm probably on the lower spectrum of Undertale fans. I thought the writting in the game was genuinly amusing. I never thought of it as "funny" but it's charming. It probably won't make you "lol", as the kids say, but probably at least smile.
The battle-system is very interesting, at least if you try a Pacifist run but it can get a bit boring if you fight the same random enemy over and over again. (Pro-Tipp: You might as well not bother playing the game if you don't go for either Pacifist or Genocide). What REALLY made the game for me was the ending, I never enjoyed a finale quite as much as in this game.

Mario Tennis looks like it could be a fun $10-15 game. The fact that they're selling this for $50 is hilarious.
I dunno. After selling Amiibo Festival for 50$ this suddenly seems super reasonable to me

(Pro-Tipp: You might as well not bother playing the game if you don't go for either Pacifist or Genocide)

Neutral >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pacifist or genocide.

Nothing else in the game remotely touches how good the end of neutral is.

I dunno. After selling Amiibo Festival for 50$ this suddenly seems super reasonable to me

lol you're right, but the Nintendo side games have been really lacking this year compared to their more core games. It's sad, since I like mario tennis.

I dunno, the final boss for genocide is pretty incredible.

Sorry, I meant to type neutral. I thought the pacifist ending was pretty bad.

I agree that the end of genocide is pretty amazing as well, but not quite worth the work to get there for someone like me that doesn't like the game.

Mr. F

Banned

Eh, just don't listen to the hype and give it a try yourself. You might like it. Its certainly not the worst 10 dollars I've spent.

Yup, it's not worth basing your expectations off of other opinions when opinions can be so subjective, especially when you're talking about humour.

I'll probably check it out. I was just wondering after the jokes in the quick look didn't really blow me away and sometimes the crew oversells things they find funny (imo). I also get the sense that the fanbase is pretty diehard, so been curious for a more objective take on the game's writing. Looking forward to trying it out either way.

I was just wondering, the jokes in the quick look didn't really blow me away and sometimes the crew oversells things they find funny (imo). I also get the sense that the fanbase is pretty diehard, so been curious for a more objective take on the game's writing. Looking forward to trying it out either way.

I didn't care much for the writing and thought the game got progressively worse as it went until you get to the neutral and genocide endings. Different experiences for different people, but I was really disappointed in the game, not because of the "hype", but because the game does a few cool things that I really liked, but the other 90% of the game just felt like a total slog.

You probably won't share my feelings since most seem to at least like the game, but I'd still just go into it with no expectations (like most new games honestly).

Xater

I didn't care much for the writing and thought the game got progressively worse as it went until you get to the neutral and genocide endings. Different experiences for different people, but I was really disappointed in the game, not because of the "hype", but because the game does a few cool things that I really liked, but the other 90% of the game just felt like a total slog.

You probably won't share my feelings since most seem to at least like the game, but I'd still just go into it with no expectations (like most new games honestly).

I feel the same. Some of the writing was funny, some of it just dumb. The gameplay part of the whole thing never grabbed me at any point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom