• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm actually about to start Mass Effect 3, because Austin talked so positively about it. I loved 1 & 2 and all the negative talk pulled me away from 3.

Quick question: what's the difference between the 19.99€ one and the 9.99€ + 4.99€ one?

http://abload.de/img/unbenanntofoss.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Fixed it

[img]http://i.imgur.com/pSRoSmn.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's not like the gameplay of ME2 was all that hot either. The gunplay is ok I guess but my god I just remember my time with it being running down corridors with stuff you can go into cover with shooting at really boring AI.

But I mean, ME1 just sucked at doing much combat and was generally a mess in that department.
I think ME is better in some ways to ME2 but I would never put gameplay over it.
I can undesrtand what you're saying... I think.

It may just be nostalgia but I remember having a lot of fun even with the gameplay of ME1. It wasn't tight to play but having an RPG with shooting mechanics was a big draw for me. I'll have to go back and play it sometime soon and see if it's just rose tinted glasses.

Heimbeck

Banned
It may just be nostalgia but I remember having a lot of fun even with the gameplay of ME1. It wasn't tight to play but having an RPG with shooting mechanics was a big draw for me. I'll have to go back and play it sometime soon and see if it's just rose tinted glasses.

Heh, I'm only messing around no reason you can't like the gameplay of ME1 over ME2.
I still think you're crazy though.

Tubobutts

I have bought two games because of Austin Walker and there were both pretty good so Austin is probably pretty good.

Even if he won't play more Crusader Kings.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I preferred and still prefer the gameplay and combat in Mass Effect 1. That continues to be the only game in the series I can go back and play again, and the only one I actually like.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I have bought two games because of Austin Walker and there were both pretty good so Austin is probably pretty good.

Even if he won't play more Crusader Kings.

He did get me excited to try and play CKII again, but I just can't.

I just searched YouTube for giant bomb pale chub and got no results. For shame people.
Edit: I saw the festival stream live so I get the reference, but I was hoping somebody would have done a video of just that part by now.

Ban Puncher

How big is your pale chub?

eUU2A.jpg

Quentyn

I'm actually about to start Mass Effect 3, because Austin talked so positively about it. I loved 1 & 2 and all the negative talk pulled me away from 3.

Quick question: what's the difference between the 19.99€ one and the 9.99€ + 4.99€ one?

unbenanntofoss.jpg

The deluxe version includes Javik which is one of the best NPCs in that game. I would get it just for that.

Edit: Ah nvm. I just saw you were talking about the differences between the two deluxe versions. No idea, that's really dumb.

If I say who then I'm almost doing the same thing, and also it's really not the worst example of that kind of behaviour. It just strikes me as really odd, but it seems to come with the territory on twitter. I can't articulate my problem with it very well, but if you're communicating directly with someone one second, and the next second retweeting what they've said to your followers and being like "this guy, right guys?", I think that's weird as hell.

Yeah that kind of behavior is endemic to twitter centric "sick burns" valuation of debate. Even Jeff's tumblr stuff, with people feeding him the shit other people are saying, and then him dunking on them, is kinda ruined for me. As much as I enjoy a good monsterdunk, I kinda feel blah about because I bet people are going to see that and use it as fuel to tweet dumb shit at those RT people or whatever. Idk, I know Jeff doesn't give a fuck about what people think about him, but a shitload of people will use slights against him to justify bullshit.

Wunder

Edit: I have the worst luck with top of the page posts, so here's vinny

utS9rj6.gif

If I say who then I'm almost doing the same thing, and also it's really not the worst example of that kind of behaviour. It just strikes me as really odd, but it seems to come with the territory on twitter. I can't articulate my problem with it very well, but if you're communicating directly with someone one second, and the next second retweeting what they've said to your followers and being like "this guy, right guys?", I think that's weird as hell.

Yeah, whenever I see a .@ or a mention at the end with a super long argument attached to it it just sours me on that user, especially if they have a few thousand followers (or more).

Scizzy

Speaking of Mass Effect 3, Brad was conspicuously quiet in not mentioning that it was his GOTY on the most recent Bombcast when Dan and Jason were complaining about how members of the GI office rammed it to the top of the GI list that year.

unbenanntofoss.jpg

Actually, I would love to sit down with Austin and hear out his take on ME 3. There are things about that game, especially the way it ends, that I can't get past and I haven't heard a genuinely good argument that frames the events in a way that I can accept. I loved the series to that point, possibly my favorite game universe, warts and all, but ME 3 pushed so far past my suspension of disbelief in the closing minutes, way beyond anything up to that point, that it actually did something I didn't think was possible, it retroactively damaged the previous games in my eyes.

I already agree with Austin that ME 1 was the best of the series. I enjoyed the Mako sections (the real enemy was the ridiculously vertical terrain of the uncharted planets, not really the controls). If Austin could make a case for ME3, an argument that isn't built on strawmen, an argument that doesn't gloss over the heap of inconsistencies and holes, I would love to hear it because I would love to get excited about ME again.

Brad mentioned a couple of times how bonkers the Starcraft II story gets by the end of Legacy of the Void. Anybody care to spoil it for me?

I second this. I got like 5 missions into Wings of Liberty before realizing I much prefer Warcraft. Chances are i'll never play HotS or LotV so i'd love to hear how the story gets bonkers.

The gist of it IIRC is
Kerrigan becomes infused with the power of Xel'Naga and becomes a DBZ like Glowing ultra powerful being, she's literally a shining beacon of gold light. So they the last mission is against the ancient evil, and it's like Heart of the Swarm where you control Kerrigan to blow up these pillars powering up the ancient evil, and then she like blows him up.

I just searched YouTube for giant bomb pale chub and got no results. For shame people.
Edit: I saw the festival stream live so I get the reference, but I was hoping somebody would have done a video of just that part by now.

Does anyone have a timestamp for this on the festival stream? I've watched the first part of it, but don't have enough hours in the day to keep up with all the Giant Bomb content sometimes.

Man, remember when some people would complain that GB was not putting out enough content sometimes... Seems like they've been consistent for a real long time now, and it's pretty awesome!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The gist of it IIRC is
Kerrigan becomes infused with the power of Xel'Naga and becomes a DBZ like Glowing ultra powerful being, she's literally a shining beacon of gold light. So they the last mission is against the ancient evil, and it's like Heart of the Swarm where you control Kerrigan to blow up these pillars powering up the ancient evil, and then she like blows him up.

To add,

After Kerrigan becomes a golden glowing space angel, and goes supernova, it cuts to Jim Raynor drinking in a bar and human Kerrigan comes in and they walk out together into heaven or some white light maybe they just didn't want to render outside the bar

repeater

Man, remember when some people would complain that GB was not putting out enough content sometimes... Seems like they've been consistent for a real long time now, and it's pretty awesome!
GBeast starting to produce content has made the sum total of the site's output kinda crazy. :)

klonere

Banned
To add,

After Kerrigan becomes a golden glowing space angel, and goes supernova, it cuts to Jim Raynor drinking in a bar and human Kerrigan comes in and they walk out together into heaven or some white light maybe they just didn't want to render outside the bar

Jesus christ Starcraft went over a fucking cliff. That whole package sounds like absolute hot garbage.

The gist of it IIRC is
To add,

Starcraft is
anime

I understood nothing in this sentence.

It all summarizes down to "shame" for the most part

Life is Strange Playdate is on the schedule!

6RLeeQi.gif

I really. Really. Really hope they finish episode 3. If they play for 3-3.5 hours, it's totally possible. Don't know if they'll keep playing that long, but damn is the ending of episode 3 strong. I won't be around to watch it live (yay midterms), but seeing their reactions to the magic of episode 3 will be a highlight of my weekend.

Plus it's one episode closer to the strongest one of the game.

The gist of it IIRC is

To add,

Oh, that kind of
sucks

So I opened up Origin on my PC after a while and noticed that they're offering something called "Game Time" for Titanfall. I didn't know what that was and looked it up, turns out they let you play the game for 48 hours (I'm assuming 48 hours in real life after you start up the game) without any other limitations, and they have same kind of trials for Sims 4 and BF4, too (168 hours with Battlefield, even).

With that and the refund policy they have on Origin EA is actually doing some cool stuff, even if I don't necessarily agree with the way their games have been lately. One weekend is pretty much how long I'd see myself playing a Sims game anyway, and just having these as ongoing promotions is a better way to handle it than Steam's free weekends.
It's not like the gameplay of ME2 was all that hot either. The gunplay is ok I guess but my god I just remember my time with it being running down corridors with stuff you can go into cover with shooting at really boring AI.

That's why you play the cool class that's all about charging at the enemies and shooting them in the face with a shotgun. So much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom