• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Neutral >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> pacifist or genocide.

Nothing else in the game remotely touches how good the end of neutral is.

Is neutral just Pacifist without the special stuff you need to do? If so it felt kinda underwelming to me. The final boss in Pacifist is pretty amazing.

I'll probably check it out. I was just wondering after the jokes in the quick look didn't really blow me away and sometimes the crew oversells things they find funny (imo). I also get the sense that the fanbase is pretty diehard, so been curious for a more objective take on the game's writing. Looking forward to trying it out either way.

As somebody who hasn't seen any anime in like 10 years: The writting felt kinda anime to me. I don't even know what that means, but that's the thought I had in my head while playing the game.

FluxWaveZ

As somebody who hasn't seen any anime in like 10 years: The writting felt kinda anime to me. I don't even know what that means, but that's the thought I had in my head while playing the game.

https://twitter.com/fwugradiation/status/655122085493231616

But I don't really agree with that. I think there's a specific pace and dialogue to what one would associate with typical "anime writing," and I'm not sure Undertale fits. Legacy of the Void definitely does, though.

There are several references to the medium, though. I feel that it resonates with a particular crowd, kind of like Gone Home seemingly does.

Xater

The humor in it is nothing like anime. Anime humor for the most part resorts to lame slapstick.

I didn't really have much fun with the battle system, though I sort've respected when the game would subvert it.

Also, we made Vinny sad with EX bashing :(

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I didn't really have much fun with the battle system, though I sort've respected when the game would subvert it.

I haven't listened to the Beastcast yet, but it isn't a surprise that QLEX have always been the worst feature on the site, is it? They're generally terrible.

Fantastapotamus

I haven't listened to the Beastcast yet, but it isn't a surprise that QLEX have always been the worst feature on the site, is it? They're generally terrible.

That's cause it's usually not that interesting or funny to see developers and marketing peopel show and explain their games.

William

Glad to see Vinny's Extra life stuff up on the site, was worried it was lost forever! Just finished part 1 and its great stuff so far. Havent been watching much GB stuff of late, but looking forward to the Life is Strange playdate this afternoon.

I thought the video was fine. Showing off high level JC3 play made it look really interesting with Alex and Jeff occasionally talking over it. Nothing really to warrant bashing?

Oh man, I totally mixed neutral and pacifist in my head. I thought that stuff was all part of Pacifist.

Nah its pretty different.
Especially if you murder pretty much everyone in the game on your first run like I did.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That's cause it's usually not that interesting or funny to see developers and marketing peopel show and explain their games.

It always results in muted reactions from the staff and usually PR filtered devspeak or awkward attempts at fitting in. Some have been alright but I rarely even bother starting the video when it's labeled EX.

What did he say?

Bashing was kind of hyperbole. Vinny just kind of said "I've seen a lot of people say they don't like the EX videos as much whenever we do them.." and then gently made the case that the people showing them are great at their jobs and that it's generally the only way they get to share stuff that early.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Bashing was kind of hyperbole. Vinny just kind of said "I've seen a lot of people say they don't like the EX videos as much whenever we do them.." and then gently made the case that the people showing them are great at their jobs and that it's generally the only way they get to share stuff that early.

I get that, but personally I'd just rather not have the early video at all if that's the only option. Most of the time I can get that exact video from any terrible game site that I already don't visit.

Fantastapotamus

Nah its pretty different.
Especially if you murder pretty much everyone in the game on your first run like I did.

Wait, you still get neutral if you murder everybody? Cause I totally got the neutral ending but then went back and did the stuff you need for pacifist.

Wait, you still get neutral if you murder everybody? Cause I totally got the neutral ending but then went back and did the stuff you need for pacifist.

Well I think
the requirements to get neutral are basically not murdering every enemy in the game, but also killing the bosses or avoid doing their hangouts. Neutral is pretty easy to fall into for a first playthrough. I didn't really look up the specifics, but its what i found out from doing two runs of the game.

FluxWaveZ

Well I think
the requirements to get neutral are basically not murdering every enemy in the game, but also killing the bosses or avoid doing their hangouts. Neutral is pretty easy to fall into for a first playthrough. I didn't really look up the specifics, but its what i found out from doing two runs of the game.

No, everyone gets Neutral on their first go in the game unless they go for Genocide.
Those who didn't kill anyone on their first playthrough, like I did, will get the Neutral ending first, and then reload to immediately follow the Pacifist ending.

FStop7

Banned
Do people seriously think that games journalists shouldn't publish information about unannounced games if it's given to them? I'm seeing a lot of that in response to the Kotaku blacklisting and it's mind-boggling how subservient to publisher marketing plans some people want games sites to be.

I'm just so confused. Especially when it's from people who are super into the whole ethics thing supposedly.

It's a mixture of fanboys, lickspittles, and normal people who can't see past their dislike of Kotaku/Gawker.

The first and second I have no time for but I can understand the third. It's very, very hard to side with Gawker on anything.

AcridMeat

Banned
Too bad you missed out on the last TellTale sale Humble did, was able to get TFTB and Game of Thrones for $10, plus both Puzzle Agent games and one of their poker games.
Ha, I remember seeing that bundle actually. Of course at the time I wasn't feeling the need to play Tales like I was yesterday. I don't feel too bad because I have no interest in the Game of Thrones game, and I have the poker and puzzle agent games. If anyone here hasn't played those Puzzle Agent games and like Layton style puzzles, please play them. They're super good.
It's $10 on xbone if you have one
No Xbox One so no worries there.

No, everyone gets Neutral on their first go in the game unless they go for Genocide.
Those who didn't kill anyone on their first playthrough, like I did, will get the Neutral ending first, and then reload to immediately follow the Pacifist ending.

Oh alright. I was pretty unclear on that, but I guess that's why people say to go pacifist from the beginning if you want to mitigate the time you want to spend repeating stuff.

Heimbeck

Banned

Oh, ok.
I was hoping for something more dramatic.

popo

Developer quick looks do pretty well on youtube by the looks of it. So there is that. I remember that Borderlands 2 EX was the most watched video on the site for several years. It is just not what most of the core audience is looking for.

2799924-giant+bomb+++youtube.png

I have to say that I very rarely hear anyone bashing the content of QL EX, as most people just say they are not interested in watching them. The people doing the demo are usually pretty good at their job because they do that demo for every site and have plenty of practice. Problem is, you can see that PR anywhere.

Robaperas

Hey Giant Bomb thread, I need a new mouse. I'm looking for a Bluetooth mouse under $80 that works nicely on OS X. Bonus points if it doesn't look like a Reaper ship but I know that's a tall order for most mice.

VinCo. has some decent mice, I can't link you to them now, the site is down for maintenance.

Do people really shrink away from anything remotely intellectual, even if it's about something they like? I haven't followed Giant Bomb's stuff until about a year ago or so, so I never knew that was a problem with a contingent of the community.

Do people really shrink away from anything remotely intellectual, even if it's about something they like? I haven't followed Giant Bomb's stuff until about a year ago or so, so I never knew that was a problem with a contingent of the community.

I mean, if we're being real

it's certainly not what I go to the site for

Not really?. Most people have been very positive on Austin and what he brought to the table as the new hire. His talks on the podcast/extra life about the business and social side of gaming are fantastic.

People really like a mix of stuff, though most go to the site mostly for the laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom