• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error1355

I seriously appreciate the different conversations that Austin and the Beastcast has presented. The conversation they had on the difference between cheap easy nostalgia and creating a situation to make you feel the same way you did the first time you experienced something was enlightening to me. >_>

It made me think about something I have literally never thought about before and made perfect sense.

Austin is A+.

Mr. F

Banned
Do people really shrink away from anything remotely intellectual, even if it's about something they like? I haven't followed Giant Bomb's stuff until about a year ago or so, so I never knew that was a problem with a contingent of the community.

I don't think it is a problem. As has been mentioned Austin has been a pretty great presence so far, and I've personally been enjoying the conversation he stimulates on the beastcast. It's a nice counterpoint to the bombcast where certain topics don't get explored with the same depth.

Also if I'm being honest (and a bit reductive), I think Austin fills that niche a lot better than Patrick did - he's a lot more eloquent and succinct in getting his points across.

Not really?. Most people have been very positive on Austin and what he brought to the table as the new hire. His talks on the podcast/extra life about the business and social side of gaming are fantastic.

People really like a mix of stuff, though most go to the site mostly for the laughs.

"Some" people, I should've said. I've seen a few posts here before about how didn't like when Austin would "skew too smart" as if discussion of social issues that influence/surround parts of games was somehow bad. I'm sure there are some who don't come to GB for that, but to actively make an effort to avoid is just ... weird. Anything like that is never brought up in an off-topic way, so it always pertains to games.

"Some" people, I should've said. I've seen a few posts here before about how didn't like when Austin would "skew too smart" as if discussion of social issues that influence/surround parts of games was somehow bad. I'm sure there are some who don't come to GB for that, but to actively make an effort to avoid is just ... weird. Anything like that is never brought up in an off-topic way, so it always pertains to games.

There might be one or two people that don't like Austin and his talks, but everyone has their opinions. Some people prefer in depth discussion on the game's content itself rather than the social impacts that surround it, and other's just like laughing at silly Giant Bomb content. Not to say that Austin can't be silly or talk about the content of the game itself (which he often does). I'm not annoyed by other people if they choose not to like him or his talks, but most of the people here generally like Austin and rarely complain about him.

Especially when he has such good taste in anime.

Edit: you see it more in the beastcast thread than here from what I remember, but even then there's only a few people that don't like Austin.

justjim89

Chloe can be like Kenny. She holds minor shit against you for all season even after you save her ass ten times over.

#TeamJane

William

Weird watching this after watching the latest KayPlays youtuber video of this same game, she is at the same point in the game and it took her 2 40 minute episodes to get to this point in episode 3.

I may be watching too much Life is Strange content...

Megasoum

Banned
Paging Dan Ryckert...

That new The Rock movie looks really dumb hahahaha

1VsaGLf.gif

William

alright so this game gets good if you ignore the first 2.5 episodes and also the last episode?

I loved this game, the second episode had its flaws for sure, but I was pretty obsessive about checking everything and rewinding every decision and trying different options. I liked playing out the "bad" options and then rewinding to be a good person after all. Its like getting to do your second play through whilst you are also playing your first, if that makes sense.

jaina

I loved this game, the second episode had its flaws for sure, but I was pretty obsessive about checking everything and rewinding every decision and trying different options. I liked playing out the "bad" options and then rewinding to be a good person after all. Its like getting to do your second play through whilst you are also playing your first, if that makes sense.

Yes being able to see all the options/ consequences was fun for me too. I usually don't do another playthrough for those.

William

Wouldn't that way of solving the door puzzle create a time paradox?

This game deals with time travel in a crazy way, like how you retain the hammer you pick up in the first episode after you rewind past the time you picked it up. In everyone else's perception Max must keep disappearing and teleporting all over the place. Plus text messages aren't affected by time travel for some reason.

edit: Also what TraBuch said :)

- J - D -

My premium membership status is broken. I should be good for another few weeks, but for some reason I'm not a premium member. :/

Site bug? anyone having this issue? I fired off an email to support. I've had issues with the site being broken for me in some forms or another numerous times in the past. Oi.

Blues1990

You gotta remember the guy has been doing this shit for more than two decades, it takes a lot to impress him AS IT SHOULD. However, he likes a ton of shit as well and they play random games every Friday. It's just hard to go through the many things he likes, it's not necessary he'd mention them as well unless someone asks him "do you like said game?". For now he's super excited to play Rise of The Tomb Raider for example because of the impressions of everyone around him in the office.

Anyone who watches UPF or them talking over a conference or listens to their podcast, I find it hard to believe that someone would compare Jeff to an old fart. The dude is passionate and still gets fucking excited about things.

It's a bit reassuring to hear that he isn't completely miserable (even though I never said he acts like an old fart). It's just that every time the camera focuses on him, or even when he has something positive to say, he has that emotionless glare & tone that gives off the wrong impression that he doesn't want to be there. Doesn't help that he almost lost his marbles with playing the Mario Party games back-to-back.

Hell, I would probably become emotionally numb if I had to play 50 rounds of any Mario Party game. ESPECIALLY Mario Party 10, which I'm sure they will get around in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom