• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

You guys should look at the youtube ratings for Austin's streams before saying he's been the most well received

Some assholes downvoting everything he's in doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. It's like 30 people doing that. Generally comments about him even on YT have been pretty civil (some exceptions like always).

You guys should look at the youtube ratings for Austin's streams before saying he's been the most well received

Taking any sort of tangible data from youtube ratings is probably the funniest thing I've heard. It's like 50 votes total and less than half are negative, I don't think anyone can take any information one way or another from that.

mattp

That's quite the leap.

It doesn't make me upset, I'm just calling it like it is. How does that make me insecure again?

austin is in school getting his phd
so he talks about things he's doing in his life
vinny talks about doing stuff with his kids. because he has kids

whats the difference?

ArjanN

eh, it's one of the most respected sci fi movies ever. I'd always recommend it. As I said it's the only time something he said rubbed me the wrong way, i'm 100% pro austin (other than this liking dynasty warriors thing)

I think it's less about the movie itself and more that he realizes you can't just blindly recommend things to people.

SeanR1221

austin is in school getting his phd
so he talks about things he's doing in his life
vinny talks about doing stuff with his kids. because he has kids

whats the difference?

If you couldn't tell the difference when they were brought up, that's on you.

But if I honestly have to elaborate, one would be bragging about something prestigious while the other isn't.

Man, my opinion on the situation has really gotten some of you guys annoyed. The funny part is I like Austin.

Some assholes downvoting everything he's in doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. It's like 30 people doing that. Generally comments about him even on YT have been pretty civil (some exceptions like always).

YouTube comments in general are just a cesspool, always have been and always will. Yet, I still find myself scrolling down on occasion to read the negativity. Bad habit I guess, but man I wish people weren't always so shitty.

FluxWaveZ

But if I honestly have to elaborate, one would be bragging about something prestigious while the other isn't.

Man, my opinion on the situation has really gotten some of you guys annoyed. The funny part is I like Austin.

Never has it seemed to me that he has bragged about going for a PhD.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

The fact that you think he's "bragging" is super telling and you should maybe question yourself on why it stands out to you so much. Because to me it's never felt that way and it comes up most often when others ask him about his dissertation.

mattp

The fact that you think he's "bragging" is super telling and you should maybe question yourself on why it stands out to you so much. Because to me it's never felt that way and it comes up most often when others ask him about his dissertation.

yep

Xater

Yeah I am super confused here. I don#t even think it comes up often. At least I haven't noticed.

Yeah I agree, as someone who can never have kids I fucking hate Vinny.

SeanR1221

Never has it seemed to me that he has bragged about going for a PhD.

That's cool, different people have different perspectives on things. So we can easily disagree.

Full disclosure I used to help with a major universities hiring committee for grad students in that department. It was usually pretty easy to tell when someone would brag about their credentials.

But like I said, I'm surprised my perspective on him coming off as pretentious has made this many people upset. PM me if it bothers you that much so we don't muck up this thread.

Yeah I agree, as someone who can never have kids I fucking hate Vinny.

That's a totally valid emotion if not being able to have kids actually stresses you out. So, good example backing me up :)

Bowlie

Banned
Hi, everyone!

I'm pretty new here at NeoGAF, never set foot here in the Community section, but now I found this amazing thread and I hope I keep checking this out and talking to you all c:

That rt gb thread that's been going on made me go back to Big Live Live Show Live '15 and watch they drink the yellow russian, but then I stumbled upon that segment where Alex played some shitty game, which looked like it could be a show for the site.

I'm sure this has probably been talked about before (again, I'm new), but they plan on doing that in the future, or it just got shoved?

Anyway, thanks duders!

Xater

The desire to send a correction regarding the early Xeno lore to the beastcast is really strong.

You should do it. Vinny being weirdly obsessed with game lore stuff will surely appreciate it. :p

Hi, everyone!

I'm pretty new here at NeoGAF, never set foot here in the Community section, but now I found this amazing thread and I hope I keep checking this out and talking to you all c:

That rt gb thread that's been going on made me go back to Big Live Live Show Live '15 and watch they drink the yellow russian, but then I stumbled upon that segment where Alex played some shitty game, which looked like it could be a show for the site.

I'm sure this has probably been talked about before (again, I'm new), but they plan on doing that in the future, or it just got shoved?

Anyway, thanks duders!

Blight Club. Yeah at this point i doubt it's going to happen. Especially after the East Crew noticed people like also watching them play good games. ;)

repeater

That is still a touchy subject.

We.. we don't really talk about that here.
:'(

Welcome! :)

Hi, everyone!

Anyway, thanks duders!

rip blight club

boosh5

Banned
Austin seems like a totally good dude and I'm glad he's with the site. However, it really takes the enjoyment out of the beastcast for me every time the fun stops so he can tell us why he has issues with something.

It's fine to have opinions. The podcast would be rather short otherwise, but the constant, "mmmm, I have some real issues with that," has worn thin for me. It has become so frequent, it's nearly the new "ostensibly."

But the podcast is what it is. If the other guys weren't happy with the tone and direction he takes it, they would probably say something. It's not my place to throw an internet tantrum and downvote his content to oblivion. I just have some... issues with it.

That's a totally valid emotion if not being able to have kids actually stresses you out. So, good example backing me up :)
Yeah sure, if hating people for being able to do something you never can is a valid response then I can see where you're coming from. Good call.

It's Snark City in this thread, yo.

Some receipts need to be posted on this tbh since the one time i remember him directly referencing his potentiall Phd was his intro long ago.

Most of the times it's other people asking about it or saying he's already a doctor (with him correcting).

Unless the does it outside of GB stuff? *shrug*

Myggen

YouTube comments in general are just a cesspool, always have been and always will. Yet, I still find myself scrolling down on occasion to read the negativity. Bad habit I guess, but man I wish people weren't always so shitty.

Yeah, I have this compulsion too from time to time.

The desire to send a correction regarding the early Xeno lore to the beastcast is really strong.

Tell me all about the Xenocross, is it as good as everyone claims?

Hi, everyone!

Anyway, thanks duders!

Welcome! Blight Club is totally going to happen, if you believe hard enough.

RIGHT?!

I just plug this into uBlock Origin to keep comments from loading :D
Code:
||www.youtube.com/watch_fragments_ajax$xmlhttprequest,domain=www.youtube.com

Volotaire

Hi, everyone!

Anyway, thanks duders!

Welcome!

Hi, everyone!

Anyway, thanks duders!

0uVP7go.gif

Welcome! :D

Xater

I know this weird obsession oh so well. That's why I installed the Chrome add-on that disables Youtube comments. It's great living this way.

Bacon

Can someone post that black and white gif of jeffs "smiling" face with the text 24 hours remain again? I just...need it

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Austin seems like a totally good dude and I'm glad he's with the site. However, it really takes the enjoyment out of the beastcast for me every time the fun stops so he can tell us why he has issues with something.

It's fine to have opinions. The podcast would be rather short otherwise, but the constant, "mmmm, I have some real issues with that," has worn thin for me. It has become so frequent, it's nearly the new "ostensibly."

But the podcast is what it is. If the other guys weren't happy with the tone and direction he takes it, they would probably say something. It's not my place to throw an internet tantrum and downvote his content to oblivion. I just have some... issues with it.

Do you have a problem with the actual points he raises? Or do you just not want the fun to stop? If the first, there's a conversation to be had. If you just don't want to hear about the political dimension of games, which are present, then it's not the podcast for you. Also it's really not like Austin is alone in that, Alex may not have his academic background but he's almost as engaged with the political dimension of the games industry.

I for one welcome Austin's input, I don't think he's ever said something i found disagreeable, or in a disagreeable way. The thing is, his perspective is so rare as to be almost nonexistent in mainstream games coverage. You can find it on smaller sites, or outlets that also happen to cover games, like Paste. (Aside - it's ironic to me that the more insightful and fresh takes on games happen predominantly on sites not dedicated to gaming.) Like at most, on the podcast, Austin invites you to think about some more heady topics once a week. It's really not a big ask and at the end of the day you can take it or leave it.

I'm being triggered. I can't handle this.

6RLeeQi.gif

I don't think that's necessarily an issue with Austin and I think that's just the direction that the East crew want to take with the Beastcast, there's more picking apart of a topic on the Beastcast than there is on the Bombcast and that's not going to be for everyone.

Bowlie

Banned
Blight Club. Yeah at this point i doubt it's going to happen. Especially after the East Crew noticed people like also watching them play good games. ;)

That is still a touchy subject.

We.. we don't really talk about that here.
:'(

Welcome! :)

rip blight club

Welcome! Blight Club is totally going to happen, if you believe hard enough.

RIGHT?!

Yeah, I figured it was something like this, what a pity.

And thanks for the warm welcome! This looks like a great place (even though there's a shirtless Jeff slightly above this post staring at me)

William

Had to pause my livestream so only just caught up to their end of episode 3 of Life is Strange. Great stuff, the best episode of the whole game probably, and their reactions to the ending were really good.

Have to say in the modern age of Giant bomb I am glad that they are still making content like this, I feel a little like the stuff from the SF crew has either changed, or perhaps my tastes have changed, to the point where it doesn't appeal to me any more, but I am still enjoying the content from Vinny and the GBeast crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom