• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
eUU2A.jpg

It's a trip seeing these two images back to back. Jeff has lost a ton of weight. Pretty awesome.

Catching up with the thread and some podcasts and maaaaan...You can't trust the opinions of any person who thinks Mass Effect 3 is a good Bioware game. Sure, it's combat is tighter than its ever been, but thematically, talk about a fucking comedic mess from the outset - Earth is getting invaded and obliterated and your immediate response is to fuck off around space and grind a bunch of missions to build up a meter which is inevitably negated by the bullshit "pick a color" out of nowhere ending helmed by a self-insert for the author. Bioware got too far up their own ass and lost sight of what they were making - an over the top power fantasy hybrid of Captain Kirk and Jack Bauer - and sharted out some attempt at "art" that ultimately said nothing.

Bioware hasn't made a good game since Mass Effect 2 (the ME3 multiplayer is alright, sure) and the constant excuses made for them time and time again as they ape at MMOs ad-nauseum with no rhyme or reason is utterly painful to watch.

Zocano

Why does the Iron Banner helmet have a trials perk on it.

Bungie, why.

YOU HAVE ONE JOB.

edit: yep that's the wrong thread.

Nero18

They make it sound obvious but the two sith thing just sounds more like its a logical conclusion in the movie, not like a fucking rule. I didnt know about that either.

Zornack

It's amazing Dan likes Star Wars and didn't know about the 2 Sith thing despite it being the whole fucking point of the whole story.

I don't think it's ever mentioned outside of one line in episode one and Palpatine doesn't even keep to it as he has both Darth Maul and Count Doku under him in the prequels.

Myggen

It's amazing Dan likes Star Wars and didn't know about the 2 Sith thing despite it being the whole fucking point of the whole story.

I don't think I ever got that there could only be two. It's not explicitly said in the original trilogy and I probably didn't pay enough attention to the prequels. If that line Brad quoted is the only line from the original films that shit isn't even implied.

Nero18

Why do you think the Emperor wants Luke to kill Vader?

I'm totally with Brad.

So many possible explanations though.

EDIT: Totally with Dan, even now thinking about the lines from the movie. It sounds like they are inferring it. Like oh, if there is one there must be two.

It doesn't matter whether Destiny Loot 2.0 or Starcraft 2.3.0 Heart of the Another Game In 2015 With the word Heart in the Title... are eligible or not...

...neither are top ten material on merit :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Bioware hasn't made a good game since Mass Effect 2 (the ME3 multiplayer is alright, sure) and the constant excuses made for them time and time again as they ape at MMOs ad-nauseum with no rhyme or reason is utterly painful to watch.

I think DA:I is a good game. It has issues, but I enjoyed my time with it. Also ME3 mp is one of my favorite mp games ever. Yeah, I'm weird like that. ME3's weird pacing problems would be forgiven too if the ending wasn't total tragic trash, because that game had some killer story beats (Tsuchanka, conclusion of Geth/Quarian story).

I'm totally with Brad.

Hell of explanations. He knows that Luke has the potential to be the most powerful Sith that has ever lived and could bring about their rise again, and he knows that killing him would complete his transformation to the dark side. See, you can make up all kinds of shit.

Kimaka

I'm totally with Brad.

Always thought Palpatine wanted the Sith number small so there would be a lower chance for someone to usurp him. Luke and Vader could eventually conspire to take him down and rule the galaxy together if he allowed them both to live.

Myggen

Hell of explanations. He knows that Luke has the potential to be the most powerful Sith that has ever lived and could bring about their rise again, and he knows that killing him would complete his transformation to the dark side. See, you can make up all kinds of shit.

Yeah, that's always what I assumed.

This sounds like some prequel bullshit to me.

Zornack

I'm totally with Brad.

Anakin did whatever the hell he wanted at every point in his life. I doubt he wanted Palpatine dead in order to follow a rule set in place by a long dead sith, he just wanted him out of the picture.

Edit: Oops, misread your post.

Darth wanted Luke to kill the Emperor. The Emperor wanted Luke to kill Darth. It's pretty clear! They always spoke of themselves as duos.

And like you don't even need to be paying attention to the prequels to understand the rule of two thing.

Jabronium

Always thought Palpatine wanted the Sith number small so there would be a lower chance for someone to usurp him. Luke and Vader could eventually conspire to take him down and rule the galaxy together if he allowed them both to live.

That was Vader's sales pitch to Luke in ESB, in fact. We can rule the galaxy as father and son, etc etc. Feels like Palpatine knew what Vader was up to, he just wasn't worried about it.

Myggen

Darth wanted Luke to kill the Emperor. The Emperor wanted Luke to kill Darth. It's pretty clear! They always spoke of themselves as duos.

But does that mean that there can only be two? That's what I think is a leap. It seemed clear in the prequels from that clip but I don't remember anything from those.

Yeah, that's always what I assumed.

This sounds like some prequel bullshit to me.

That's exactly what it is. It's just one of those things the prequels felt the need to complicate and over-explain. Sure it's canon now, but Brad is insane to pretend that was the case through the original trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom