• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the 12 hours of the GB West duders extra life stream. Don't think I could watch the 50+ hours of the other people. Any highlights worth watching?

Watched the 12 hours of the GB West duders extra life stream. Don't think I could watch the 50+ hours of the other people. Any highlights worth watching?

All the other streams were way better than that one, I'd try to check them out eventually. They're good background noise.

Drew/Alexis playing through Halo 5 is totally skippable though, other than Danny stopping by.

Until Dawn and Drew/Alexis/Mary/Ian playing the bomb defusal game was good.

Jabronium

Depends on taste. I skipped the SF one and watched the others. Vinny playing Kerbal is great, Austin's whole stream is good, Drewlexis and the continuing tale of John Halo.

justjim89

Watching clips from old MGScanlon videos just makes me miss when it was good. It's still fun cause of Drew and Dan, but the game is so boring. Watching the Revengeance segment on UPF felt more like true MGScanlon than all of MGScanlon V has been.

rObit

Banned
Yes, it is. I watch them every now and then. Very enjoyable, great reactions, discussions and really remind me of the great times I had with this series growing up.

g22mFYM.gif

In the words of Dan, it's the best.

This .gif still gets me every fucking time.

Watch Lang's Until Dawn playthrough

Seconded. That playthrough was probably the most invested I was at any point in the Extra Life streams.

MGSV ruined both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Scanlon.

Wonder if Drew is any good at character action games. It would be fun to see him play it.

Watching MGScanlon V just hammers home how repetitive MGSV actually is for me.

Go here. Extract / kill this person (Or extract the person you are meant to kill for cool points so you will just do that) and a maybe 10 to 15 cut scenes in the entire package. Also the entire game is set in a desert. Or Africa in a savana which is the same as the desert but a bit more green.

Doesn't helped my time with MGSV was bookended on both sides with a bunch of Wticher 3 which has the most story and a whole bunch of environmental variety and does a great job constantly trusting you into new settings with new characters with new problems over its 50+ hour run time.

MGScanlon V also hammers home just how awesome the previous MGS games are. So much cool shit in each of those games. Cant really say the same for V.

Dan should play though the MSX games on the site.

He has already played Revengance so maybe Drew can do that.

Also how many times has someone played though the opening of MGR on Giant Bomb? Its happened a few times. I dont blame them. That opening is sick.

Metal Gear Ryckert 2: Danzibarland would be pretty dope.

justjim89

Watching MGScanlon V just hammers home how repetitive MGSV actually is for me.

Go here. Extract / kill this person (Or extract the person you are meant to kill for cool points so you will just do that) and a maybe 10 to 15 cut scenes in the entire package. Also the entire game is set in a desert. Or Africa in a savana which is the same as the desert but a bit more green.

Doesn't helped my time with MGSV was bookended on both sides with a bunch of Wticher 3 which has the most story and a whole bunch of environmental variety and does a great job constantly trusting you into new settings with new characters with new problems over its 50+ hour run time.

MGScanlon V also hammers home just how awesome the previous MGS games are. So much cool shit in each of those games. Cant really say the same for V.

My thoughts exactly. I've tried to stop seeming like such a Witcher fanboy, but it's truly night and day how much effort and care went into TW3 vs. MGSV. MGSV has maybe three different mission types in two different areas, plus the worst "boss" encounters of the whole series. Maybe the worst in modern gaming since Human Revolution. Barely any story. Barely any characterization.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say Ground Zeroes is a more well rounded package than Phantom Pain. It baffles me how people can act like it has dozens and dozens of hours worth of exciting content. It has maybe a single dozen hours of decent content repeated exponentially.

And it's positively dull to watch for MGScanlon. I put it on in the background while doing other stuff and treat it like a podcast.

I know it probably won't even be brought up in the conversation, but MGSV is easily the most disappointing game of the year for me.

MGSV ruined both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Scanlon.

Wonder if Drew is any good at character action games. It would be fun to see him play it.

Eh, it's like the best of both Mercenaries and MGS combined into one. Just like Mercenaries, taken at face value it's just you killing 12 wanted people but the fun of doing so is the freedom and creativity in the ways that allow you to do that in a sea of shit loads of games that restrict your ass. In the end it comes back to the player and how creative they are to use the sandbox and tools to their desire.

This and SMM are the games I enjoyed so damn much. Story is subjective but I liked it even though the execution was not all there.

Wunder

I'm on the opposite end of the MGSV/Witcher 3 debate, finishing up the Witcher 3 right now and it still feels like a total slog through the whole thing. The last third of MGS dragged a little bit but the gameplay was so sweet up until that moment that I didn't really mind. The Witcher 3's combat though has literally been the same thing for the last however many hours I've played it for. I also don't know why I do the fist fights and racing as that is easily some of the worst shit ever

Myggen

MGSV is easily my GOTY. One of the best playing games I've ever played. Finished Witcher 3 recently. Good story but nothing that special, and I never liked actually playing that game. Witcher 3 is a 3/5 to me.

Heimbeck

Banned
I'm on the opposite end of the MGSV/Witcher 3 debate, finishing up the Witcher 3 right now and it still feels like a total slog through the whole thing. The last third of MGS dragged a little bit but the gameplay was so sweet up until that moment that I didn't really mind. The Witcher 3's combat though has literally been the same thing for the last however many hours I've played it for. I also don't know why I do the fist fights and racing as that is easily some of the worst shit ever

At launch those horse races were completely fucked, really just glitchy messes.
I hope they've fixed that since then but it makes me annoyed just thinking about them.

The problem with W3's combat is they do a shit job with the leveling system.

If you actually dig into it you have a bunch of stuff at your disposal Unfortunately since they do such a poor job and you level up so slowly you just put points into leveling up your existing attacks and spells and not into different stuff.

Gorse races in Wticher are bad though. But so is every racing part shoehorned into every open world game ever.

That being said I was getting pretty bored of MGSV gameplay towards the end as well. Since non lethal is the way they push you to play if you want to expand MB it gets a bit old.

They tried to change it up by having the bad dudes wear different clothes later in the game but at some point you get a sweet sniper tranq sniper rifle.

Dineren

Banned
Jeffs "Super Mario Maker is the best Nintendo game since Ocarina of Time" comment makes me think GOTY is sealed.

I'm still skeptical. It's not like Jeff's favorite game is guaranteed the spot. Has anyone else besides Jeff and Dan played it much? I know Drew made that one level, but I haven't heard him mention it since. I still expect MGS to be GOTY since everyone(unless I'm forgetting someone) there has played and enjoyed it.

I've liked most of the big games this year so I don't think I'll be disappointed regardless of what comes out on top. The only thing I will be disappointed about is the inevitable dismissal of TW3 from the top 10 early on.

StoveOven

Banned
I'm still skeptical. It's not like Jeff's favorite game is guaranteed the spot. Has anyone else besides Jeff and Dan played it much? I know Drew made that one level, but I haven't heard him mention it since. I still expect MGS to be GOTY since everyone(unless I'm forgetting someone) there has played and enjoyed it.

I've liked most of the big games this year so I don't think I'll be disappointed regardless of what comes out on top. The only thing I will be disappointed about is the inevitable dismissal of TW3 from the top 10 early on.

Drew was there for both of the Giant Bomb Makes Mario streams. If anything, I think he'll support either MGS or MM without taking sides

f0rk

Watching Drew play MGSV is boring cos he's bad at it and ends up having to just shoot everything. It's way better when you actually try some sneaking and mix up play styles, it has a lot of room for that.

It's funny where MGSV is on the interactive movie vs gameplay with no story scale

GOTY will come around and Withcer 3 will get tossed aside pretty quick because no one outside of Dan has put many hours into it and Dan is being a twit about not wanting to play any more even though he is literally 1 mission away from what the game has spend 50 hours building towards.

I am OK with that.

BUT if MGSV isnt part of the Most Disappointing game discussion I will be hella disappointed. It doesnt need to "win". It just needs to be part of the discussion. That game is this years Destiny for me. I dont understand how they made such a bizzardly shadow and incomplete game. I dont understand why some people are super unto it. Its a shadow of the developers former work and now after a few months of patches has this seedy undercurrent of micro transactions to it.

Oh and Destiny not winning most disappointing game last year is still a bummer. Destiny is still a bummer today after 3 a year of work. Who the fuck even remembers Watch Dogs?

Wunder

The problem with W3's combat is they do a shit job with the leveling system.

If you actually dig into it you have a bunch of stuff at your disposal Unfortunately since they do such a poor job and you level up so slowly you just put points into leveling up your existing attacks and spells and not into different stuff.

Gorse races in Wticher are bad though. But so is every racing part shoehorned into every open world game ever.

That being said I was getting pretty bored of MGSV gameplay towards the end as well. Since non lethal is the way they push you to play if you want to expand MB it gets a bit old.

They tried to change it up by having the bad dudes wear different clothes later in the game but at some point you get a sweet sniper tranq sniper rifle.

Yeah I went with a Signs build but having to put points into skills that you then never end up using just seems kinda shitty? Like I'm literally putting filler points into shit that I will never use just to unlock the next tier of skills.

My main beef with the horse races is the fact that I don't ever have a clear idea of how long I have until the finish line, which makes controlling the stamina pretty arbitrary since if I stop to recover for too long instead of just sprinting to the end I just wasted a bunch of time.

Heimbeck

Banned
GOTY will come around and Withcer 3 will get tossed aside pretty quick because no one outside of Dan has put many hours into it and Dan is being a twit about not wanting to play any more even though he is literally 1 mission away from what the game has spend 50 hours building towards.

I am OK with that.

BUT if MGSV isnt part of the Most Disappointing game discussion I will be hella disappointed. It doesnt need to "win". It just needs to be part of the discussion. That game is this years Destiny for me. I dont understand how they made such a bizzardly shadow and incomplete game. I dont understand why some people are super unto it. Its a shadow of the developers former work and now after a few months of patches has this seedy undercurrent of micro transactions to it.

Oh and Destiny not winning most disappointing game last year is still a bummer. Destiny is still a bummer today. Who the fuck even remembers Watch Dogs?

No-one on the crew considers MGS V to be disappointing in anyway, so I see no reason for it to be up for discussion.
The only thing they may talk about is all the microtransaction stuff and the updates the game has been getting.

Jeffs "Super Mario Maker is the best Nintendo game since Ocarina of Time" comment makes me think GOTY is sealed.

I think most of the staff will prefer MGSV over Mario Maker. If you had another duder who was as enthusiastic about the game as Dan or Jeff, I'd say you're right, but I think #1 will be MGSV.

That said, I totally agree with Jeff's comment. I don't think I have ever been this into a Nintendo game in my entire life. It could be the only Wii U game in existence and I'd still buy the console.

Tubobutts

Good news, you guys. My copy of that Swords book like the one from the Giant Bomb set has finally arrived.

Oh man there are a lot of cool swords in it.

Oh man I just realized I have sword in my username.

Zornack

I think most of the staff will prefer MGSV over Mario Maker. If you had another duder who was as enthusiastic about the game as Dan or Jeff, I'd say you're right, but I think #1 will be MGSV.

That said, I totally agree with Jeff's comment. I don't think I have ever been this into a Nintendo game in my entire life. It could be the only Wii U game in existence and I'd still buy the console.

Mario Maker had the biggest highs among the staff but if the argument gets to "what game can we as a group say we all really had a great time with?" then I think they'll go MGS V.

I love how parts of Kojima Productions planned Metal Gear Solid: Rising got reused in Revengance and TPP.

The return of Vulgin in TPP was actually planed for MGS RIsing. He was going to be a cyborg kept alive by the patriots. Also Boris from Revengace was going to be a key part of Big Mamas organisation who Raiden was working for but other then that they dont reuse many story points, just character designs.

I bet there is more stuff. I would love to know more about that cancelled game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Mario Maker makes me happier than any other game I played this year, and I don't even own it.

mattp

anyone else using the xbmc/kodi giantbomb plugin?
videos haven't played for me for the past 2 nows
did the api change again or something?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I just don't know how the Beast crew is going to go. I have no real sense for what they feel strongly about this year. Again, I was checked out of the podcasts for most of the summer and early fall so I may have missed something, but everyone's MGSV reaction these days seems to have cooled off to "yeah that was great"

killroy87

Just got to the GOTY email in last weeks Bombcast, when Brad said, and I quote "there's always some stick in the mud who holds things up way longer than they need to", and my braid damn near imploded.

Wunder

Just got to the GOTY email in last weeks Bombcast, when Brad said, and I quote "there's always some stick in the mud who holds things up way longer than they need to", and my braid damn near imploded.

lmao yeah but I think he elaborated later (UPF maybe?) that there was one dude who was holding up WoW vs Rome: Total War and wouldn't budge on giving it to WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom