• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dont blame me. WWF told me hoes are ok.

godfather-ho-train-o.gif

Zornack

Just got to the GOTY email in last weeks Bombcast, when Brad said, and I quote "there's always some stick in the mud who holds things up way longer than they need to", and my braid damn near imploded.

But Brad has never really done that. He always has people on his side, it's never him vs. everyone else.

Loxley

But Brad has never really done that. He always has people on his side, it's never him vs. everyone else.

I'm pretty sure Brad's infamous Minerva's Den vs. Lair of the Shadow Broker filibuster was basically him vs. everyone else at the start. It was a straight-up 12 Angry Men style debate where he slowly turned everyone to his side, one by one.

I'm pretty sure Brad's infamous Minerva's Den vs. Lair of the Shadow Broker filibuster was basically him vs. everyone else at the start. It was a straight-up 12 Angry Men style debate where he slowly turned everyone to his side, one by one.

Link to this? Sounds amaxing

BanGy.nz

Banned

Brad was right.

SomberOwl

If Sony is actually planning on releasing PS2 games for PS4 the one thing that would make me go back and play older games s if they retroactively put trophies in them. They're adding trophies to the Star Wars games so here's hoping.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts exactly. I've tried to stop seeming like such a Witcher fanboy, but it's truly night and day how much effort and care went into TW3 vs. MGSV. MGSV has maybe three different mission types in two different areas, plus the worst "boss" encounters of the whole series. Maybe the worst in modern gaming since Human Revolution. Barely any story. Barely any characterization.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say Ground Zeroes is a more well rounded package than Phantom Pain. It baffles me how people can act like it has dozens and dozens of hours worth of exciting content. It has maybe a single dozen hours of decent content repeated exponentially.

And it's positively dull to watch for MGScanlon. I put it on in the background while doing other stuff and treat it like a podcast.

I know it probably won't even be brought up in the conversation, but MGSV is easily the most disappointing game of the year for me.

Just so you don't feel alone: I think you're right on every point, and I already sold my copy being not even close to the ending. Worst disappointment of this entire generation so far.

Zaph

Funniest part about that particular goty discussion was Jeff on the bombcast after the holidays when he finally got around to playing both, and being like 'fuck, if that's the supposed best dlc of the year contenders, let's just scrap the category'.

killroy87

Funniest part about that particular goty discussion was Jeff on the bombcast after the holidays when he finally got around to playing both, and being like 'fuck, if that's the supposed best dlc of the year contenders, let's just scrap the category'.

Lol do you know exactly which bombcast that is? I need to hear that convo

repeater

If Sony is actually planning on releasing PS2 games for PS4 the one thing that would make me go back and play older games s if they retroactively put trophies in them. They're adding trophies to the Star Wars games so here's hoping.
DigitalFoundry says there's nothing special about the Star Wars games - it'll be exactly the same kind of principles behind the rest of the PS2 backwardscompatibility. So trophies are in, video recording/screenshots/streaming are in, Remote Play are in! For me, this could we what settles the age old Persona 3 FES vs. Persona 3 Portable dilemma - I'll just play FES on my Vita via Remote Play! :)

Lingitiz

My thoughts exactly. I've tried to stop seeming like such a Witcher fanboy, but it's truly night and day how much effort and care went into TW3 vs. MGSV. MGSV has maybe three different mission types in two different areas, plus the worst "boss" encounters of the whole series. Maybe the worst in modern gaming since Human Revolution. Barely any story. Barely any characterization.

Hell, I'd go as far as to say Ground Zeroes is a more well rounded package than Phantom Pain. It baffles me how people can act like it has dozens and dozens of hours worth of exciting content. It has maybe a single dozen hours of decent content repeated exponentially.

And it's positively dull to watch for MGScanlon. I put it on in the background while doing other stuff and treat it like a podcast.

I know it probably won't even be brought up in the conversation, but MGSV is easily the most disappointing game of the year for me.

I kind of just sleep walked my way through my last 20 or so hours through TPP. So many of the missions are just by the numbers and boring. And some of the boss fights they throw at you later on go against everything the game seemed to be going for.

My biggest pet peeve in any game is filler busy work type shit that permeates something like Dragon Age Inquisition and TTP. A lot of the content is not really meaningful or attempting to tell a story in any way. It mostly exists just to pay hour counts and keep you doing stuff, rather than respecting your time and giving you something worth seeing.

That's why I love what the Witcher did. Many of the quests have worthwhile stories to see, with character arcs and subversive writing that takes you from point A to B with twists along the way. I rarely ever felt like I was doing something just to grind out some type of currency or experience. I genuinely enjoyed the quest designs and story telling and that was enough for me to rarely ever get bored with anything in the game.

Lijik

Dan should play though the MSX games on the site..

If they do this I really hope they play the MSX Metal Gear and then immediately follow it up with the NES Metal Gear because I did that my first time and it was the closest i've ever felt to being in a waking dream.

It looks like Metal Gear, it plays like Metal Gear, but nothing anyone says makes sense. Better check jeeps for rations, oh okay now im in some new part of the jungle why are there all these buildings. Jungle maze? Jungle Maze???? Better check this jeep for am-oh okay im in a new part of the jungle. What is the scorpion desert from halfway through Metal Gear doing here? I gotta check this jeep fo- was this a big circle? Where am I. What is going on. The Blast Suit protects me from the High Powered Windows what the fuck does that mean Big Boss.

DigitalFoundry says there's nothing special about the Star Wars games - it'll be exactly the same kind of principles behind the rest of the PS2 backwardscompatibility. So trophies are in, video recording/screenshots/streaming are in, Remote Play are in! For me, this could we what settles the age old Persona 3 FES vs. Persona 3 Portable dilemma - I'll just play FES on my Vita via Remote Play! :)

But FES still doesn't allow control of teammates so it is the inferior version.

There's one word that Jeff uses in essentially every discussion that never seems appropriate, but for some reason I can't think of it right now. It is something like "supposedly" but I'm pretty sure that's not it. It's definitely indecisive language kind of like how he always says "I don't know" and ends sentences in a questioning tone.

There's one word that Jeff uses in essentially every discussion that never seems appropriate, but for some reason I can't think of it right now. It is something like "supposedly" but I'm pretty sure that's not it. It's definitely indecisive language kind of like how he always says "I don't know" and ends sentences in a questioning tone.
I don't think this is what you're thinking but I have noticed that if Jeff says "theoretically", he's guaranteed to say it 4 or 5 more times within the space of a few minutes.

This is where listening to these guys for hundreds of hours gets us.

FStop7

Banned
Just so you don't feel alone: I think you're right on every point, and I already sold my copy being not even close to the ending. Worst disappointment of this entire generation so far.

I feel the same way. It's a technical marvel with all the depth of a kiddie pool. For the first week or so I was enchanted, but the cracks really start to show once you get to Africa.

The thing about MGSV is that it plays great in the exact same way that Ground Zeroes played great. This time, though, you have an immense toolbox at your disposal, and zero reason to delve into it any deeper than a tranq gun. I honestly think it's a failure on the part of the devs to not encourage the use of varied weapons.

It's also possibly the worst excuse for an "open world" I've played in recent memory. You can explore a huge map! Maybe you'll find...uh...an outpost! or some flowers, maybe!

There's no interesting sidequests to be found. No interesting characters to interact with. Nothing to do. MGSV feels good to play, sure, but much like Destiny, "feeling good" isn't a good excuse to get you to slog through 40 hours of repetitive gameplay.

popo

Reminds me of performance art. If Jeff made a bonfire out of all that stuff after photographing it then he could be up for the Turner prize.

Zornack

I thought that was just Brad vs. Vinny. Jeff hadn't played either and I don't think Ryan cared which way it went.

The thing about MGSV is that it plays great in the exact same way that Ground Zeroes played great. This time, though, you have an immense toolbox at your disposal, and zero reason to delve into it any deeper than a tranq gun. I honestly think it's a failure on the part of the devs to not encourage the use of varied weapons.

It's also possibly the worst excuse for an "open world" I've played in recent memory. You can explore a huge map! Maybe you'll find...uh...an outpost! or some flowers, maybe!

There's no interesting sidequests to be found. No interesting characters to interact with. Nothing to do. MGSV feels good to play, sure, but much like Destiny, "feeling good" isn't a good excuse to get you to slog through 40 hours of repetitive gameplay.

The open world is mostly used for the interconnected bases and giving the player diverse ways to infiltrate a base in whichever way they see fit . I don't know what other thing there has to be for the player to do since you're already doing your part in gathering resources and building your army while going through the campaign, things that directly affect the gameplay because you're gaining new shit very often by doing just that.

Finding unconventional ways to take out enemies/bosses will always be satisfying to me or finishing a mission in minutes when it previously took you 15 minutes because you have a new set of things to experiment with that leads you to your goals quicker. I still don't see how this gets compared to Destiny when the only thing satisfying about Destiny's linear as fuck path is the shooting, you don't even get to have sick rare loot and if you ever did(RNG), it won't change the gameplay dynamically. Not when you can for instance get the buddy upgrade for your walker that lets it automatically do shit while you do something else or when you get Quiet's best sniper in the game that just goes through everything, even tanks or how about when you fully level your stun arm then you could shoot lightning from the sky? That's just a few examples.

I find the only big negative in the game is the side ops are not as diverse or lets say creative like PW. However, they are good in that they get you straight to the point if you want strong soldiers, quick GMP and the like. It's also a good way to feel like you made good progress to your motherbase if you don't have time to spare.

I feel that the bosses are better than PW because in TPP it gives you the option to do a ton of shit to win or in some cases you could just GTFO and not fight them even lol. I really don't see how people say GZ is better than TPP when the animation and how much tighter the controls are trumps GZ. Heck, GZ's daytime alone looks like shit. I went back to playing GZ after TPP and I only kept feeling like a ton of shit has been missing when I wanted to do a specific thing that I couldn't because I wasn't playing TPP.

Now about the story which is the biggest controversial thing about the game and I believe if the story wasn't as controversial then most people wouldn't be so down and the game but at the end of the day, it's subjective. I enjoyed it even though the execution was not all there, I got what Koji was going for and I dug it. It's definitely not the strongest point of the game by far but everything else is damn good save for the recent FOB updates.

Edit: I find it interesting that people nowadays are stealing other peoples nukes and disarming them going by the MGS5 thread. I never did that but it sounds sick haha.

Edit2: I forgot about MGO which seems to be a good MP since they patched the fuck out of it. I never tried it though as I have no interest in the MP save for the few hours I played when it released. In short, there's too much game here and most of it is pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom