• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Seeing the GBEast crew react to the end of Life is Strange Episode 3 the same I did was awesome. Cannot wait to see how they feel about Episode 4. I think that one's my favorite overall and their reactions to a couple of the moments are going to be incredible.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh yeah... I guess I should probably watch those Life is Strange videos at some point lol.

Another of those games that I worked on for like 1.5 years and never actually played myself lol... Fuck that, Watching Vinny play it is even better.

So I'm watching yesterday's Life is Strange playthrough, and I'm like of course three men are going to have these girls kiss. Nothing wrong with that, but that was probably the fastest and least debated decision of the playthrough.

What's up.

No HF Blade, no deal.
His boss fight is so fucking badass hype. Spoilers of course, the music here cuts off which sucks but you get my drift.

Yup. They did a fantastic job with Jetstream Sam. It was my dream coming true when I discovered his DLC. It's such a blast to be able to play as him.

Platinum knew.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was going to bring this up in the Battlefront quicklook, but shooting laser guns never ever ever feels cool. Reloading them or 'deheating them' is even lamer. That is my biggest problem with all games with laser guns. The only exception is hot concentrated death like Hammer of Dawn or the unicorn in Red Faction Armageddon

I remember playing New Vegas with an energy gun build and it felt so so s obad. Even worse than my equally bad Fallout 3 idea character, melee weapons build.

Seeing the GBEast crew react to the end of Life is Strange Episode 3 the same I did was awesome. Cannot wait to see how they feel about Episode 4. I think that one's my favorite overall and their reactions to a couple of the moments are going to be incredible.

Ending of 3 and beginning of 4 are my top moments of 2015, edging out Junes theme in Persona 4 Dancing All Night.

justjim89

The Witcher books are really good, y'all. Or at least The Last Wish is. Just finished the story A Question of Price, and it has some major connections to the characters and events of Witcher 3. Really fascinating stuff.

Anjin M

The Witcher books are really good, y'all. Or at least The Last Wish is. Just finished the story A Question of Price, and it has some major connections to the characters and events of Witcher 3. Really fascinating stuff.

The Last Wish is really good. I think Sword of Destiny is a little weaker, but I'm enjoying Blood of Elves a lot.

Agreed with the above; The Last Wish is amazing. They're all really interesting stories, though the Butcher of Blaviken one really sticks out in my mind as a winner.
I was going to bring this up in the Battlefront quicklook, but shooting laser guns never ever ever feels cool. Reloading them or 'deheating them' is even lamer. That is my biggest problem with all games with laser guns. The only exception is hot concentrated death like Hammer of Dawn or the unicorn in Red Faction Armageddon

I remember playing New Vegas with an energy gun build and it felt so so s obad. Even worse than my equally bad Fallout 3 idea character, melee weapons build.

Funny you mention FNV, because Energy guns were my favourite due to their propensity for disintegrating their targets. The goo corpses always looked cool.

Anyways, the answer to this problem of "lame reloads" is, of course, to abolish reloads/"cooling" entirely. Applying such conventions to laser weapons is a failure of imagination on the developer's part. Make it like the Dark Forces games: you either have ammo or you don't, and balance the game according to that paradigm. In other words, Doom must return for real.

justjim89

The Last Wish is really good. I think Sword of Destiny is a little weaker, but I'm enjoying Blood of Elves a lot.

I'm not sure if it's the quality of the translation, the strength of the source material, or just the fact that I don't really read a lot of books, but I'm just really enjoying the writing and worldbuilding with it all. Like, I've seen the striga fight a dozen times from the opening cutscene in Witcher 1, but reading it out was really enjoyable. Or finding out how Geralt came to be the Butcher of Blaviken. It's just so descriptive and brutal.

Apparently one of the stories they're focusing on with the recently announced movie is The Butcher of Blaviken bit. Lord knows they won't do it justice, but my interest is certainly piqued.

I'm reading Sword of Destiny now and really enjoying it. I hope the whole series is translated.

I wonder why Ansem never used the time-traveling power before giving it to Young Xehanort, or why Young Xehanort didn't use it again as he got older. Also, wtf is Vanitas doing there with everyone. I gave up trying to understand this plot, just wanna see now what Aqua has been doing lately.

The next bullshit half-release interquel stars Aqua, so that pleases me. She's a great big sister character, fixing everyone else's screwups with her superpower of being the only levelheaded person in the Kingdom Heart's universe. Also, real talk, I just beat BBS HD and that instrumental Hikari is like top ten video game music. Ignore the fact that Simple and Clean plays during the credits and not the instrumental...it's still great.

I don't think this is what you're thinking but I have noticed that if Jeff says "theoretically", he's guaranteed to say it 4 or 5 more times within the space of a few minutes.

This is where listening to these guys for hundreds of hours gets us.
Yeah it's not that. I should just listen to a podcast again and report back but it might take a while to hear it.

Haunted

Austin comparing Xenoblade Chronicles X to Deadly Premonition on the latest Beastcast elicited an audible "what the fuck?" from me.

I really didn't like Deadly Premonition so I'm kinda hoping he's off the mark there or that he made a somewhat unique, personal connexion between the games that I might not be able to see.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He's talking about the sidequest with people around the world so I think he's only comparing them in that sense. Like how deadly premonition has sidequests for everyone in the town.

jaina

I watched RPCG Phantasmagoria yesterday, they were a great team.
haha woops
last 2 days
but thanks!

edit: well hm, the plugin i'm using says its made by whiskey media and its at v3.5.1
this must be some outdated plugin i guess?
Then I'm curious why it only stopped working so recently.
There are several issues which could be the reason in your case (http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/giant-bomb-roku-app-1784003/, http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/kodi-not-playing-videos-any-more-1786600/). I suggest trying an updated version which contains fixes for the original whiskey media app. Here's a fresh package with fixes from yesterday: plugin.video.giantbomb-5.0pre_20151121.zip

Haunted

He's talking about the sidequest with people around the world so I think he's only comparing them in that sense. Like how deadly premonition has sidequests for everyone in the town.
Hopefully this is either done better or just as optional in Xenoblade as it is in Deadly Premonition, I'm not crying foul just yet. Just always a concerning comparison to drop for me because I didn't find much to like in Deadly Premonition.

That said, he mostly described the sidequests in X as fetch-quests, including those dealing with relationships between NPCs , so maybe they can be mostly ignored like in the previous Xenoblade.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think he's also referring to that japanese style of very stilted, canned animation heavy animation that deadly premonition has.

Me? Me? Is it me? Me? Me?

Love that sort of stuff too personally.

I think he's also referring to that japanese style of very stilted, canned animation heavy animation that deadly premonition has.

Me? Me? Is it me? Me? Me?

Love that sort of stuff too personally.

tumblr_n71j8srZUu1ssz1e3o3_400.gif

?

I've been on an unintentional media blackout for XBCX, so the customised mech stuff + NPC stuff sounded great to me, personally. Game's gonna rock.

Hopefully this is either done better or just as optional in Xenoblade as it is in Deadly Premonition, I'm not crying foul just yet. Just always a concerning comparison to drop for me because I didn't find much to like in Deadly Premonition.

That said, he mostly described the sidequests in X as fetch-quests, including those dealing with relationships between NPCs , so maybe they can be mostly ignored like in the previous Xenoblade.

He was referring to it in the sense that the cutscenes have some weird stilt in character's animations and some of the dialogue with the random NPCs gets pretty goofy in a way that reminded him of DP. That's about as far as the connections he made go.

I just finished writing my type up for the xeno development history/lore correction. Now I just have to remember where to send it to.

I'll probably finish the podcast tomorrow or monday and grab the link from there.

Moaradin

Dan not caring much for MGS:R makes no goddamn sense. It has everything he should love. Just look at the last boss! He'd probably vote for him.

Anjin M

With all of the chatter on the Gaming side, I jumped back into Bloodborne. I never felt like I was making that much progress previously, so I dropped it a while back. Everything has come back to me fast which is neat. My only problem is that, since I just came off The Witcher, I find myself randomly firing my gun because I'm looking for witcher sense or using items when I mean to attack. It's very strange.

jaina

I just finished writing my type up for the xeno development history/lore correction. Now I just have to remember where to send it to.

I'll probably finish the podcast tomorrow or monday and grab the link from there.
Zohar! (I don't know much beyond Xenogears, Xenoblade and some wiki stuff I read) I hope your full essay makes it in the podcast :)

kAmui-

I never saw any Snider vids except the ones when he was a guest on some UPF in last year and a half
Any suggestions?

The Daggerfall ones are great. Can't really go wrong with any of the random pc game videos but Dave Fortress (where he plays Dwarf Fortress) might be my personal favorite. This is all assuming you are a premium member.

Dan not caring much for MGS:R makes no goddamn sense. It has everything he should love. Just look at the last boss! He'd probably vote for him.

Because it's a spin-off and not a main line game even though it takes place after 4. It's taken as a spin-off and Kojima doesn't even mention the events of the game when we see the entire timeline at the credits of MGSV.

Much like Ac!d I didn't care for it. However, knowing this is made by PG made me approach it and I'm glad I did because it's a fantastic, over the top hack and slash game with memorable bosses, sweet ass soundtrack and a very satisfying gameplay all around especially when you upgrade. Maybe Dan will change his mind when he sees Drew go through it all because it's full off awesome and ridiculous moments.

There's nothing like parrying, doing sick fast combos then slicing and dicing all within 5-10 seconds.

The best compliment I could give to MGR is that they made the shit Raiden does in 4, playable. Looks like imma have to play it now after all this talking. I hope PG makes a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom