• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered Pluto TV overnight, found the MST3k channel, and the first thing playing is an episode I've seen 100 times (Eegah). Lots of feels from 20 years ago.

I'd set up a mounted TV like in a hotel lobby just playing this channel all day if I could.

I discovered Pluto TV overnight, found the MST3k channel, and the first thing playing is an episode I've seen 100 times (Eegah). Lots of feels from 20 years ago.

I'd set up a mounted TV like in a hotel lobby just playing this channel all day if I could.

Manos Hands of Fate is by far the one to watch when available.

Manos Hands of Fate is by far the one to watch when available.

That is top tier, but, the one I recommend to friends if they've never seen an episode is Space Mutiny. Or if they only have 15 minutes, the Mr. B Natural short. My god.

My tapes from back in the day are still around somewhere. I was in the Info club, watched every week, just haven't thought about it much until the Kickstarter was announced.

I could probably watch Pod People or Space Mutiny every day for the rest of my life.

IT STINKS

justjim89

Jason has mentioned wanting to get back into Witcher, here's hoping he gets at least to The Battle of Kaer Morhen. That's one of the best parts of the game, in my estimation. Can't believe Dan was literally one quest away from it before he stopped.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about it, since it's coming to backwards compatibility for Xbox One, I'll probably get through the Burial at sea DLC. Heard good things about it.

If you like the story of Infinite at all don't play Burial at Sea, especially episode 2. It shits all over it and is just some fanfic-level canon wankery that serves no purpose at all.

If you like the story of Infinite at all don't play Burial at Sea, especially episode 2. It shits all over it and is just some fanfic-level canon wankery that serves no purpose at all.

I do like it because it's nuts in the way MGS is so more of it is a good thing to me haha. Atleast it's creative as fuck when compared to many other video game stories which reminds me that we could use more sci-fi SP focused games.

Edit: I'm amazed that there are people who never finished Bioshock 1. Finishing the game once it released, diving into the discussions with people I knew about the story then getting mind fucked at the end of Bioshock Infinite when
you go back to Rapture again was awesome and it kind of connected the worlds in a way that makes Bioshock's universe feel so vast and filled with endless possibilities.
Good times.

Well, I didn't think I'd get back into Witcher 3 but all of my Fallout saves in the last 5 hours crashing when I enter a certain area might just make me do it.

Nero18

Jason has mentioned wanting to get back into Witcher, here's hoping he gets at least to The Battle of Kaer Morhen. That's one of the best parts of the game, in my estimation. Can't believe Dan was literally one quest away from it before he stopped.

I sorta just got to Skellige, if i mainline it, how many hours do i have left?

Well, I didn't think I'd get back into Witcher 3 but all of my Fallout saves in the last 5 hours crashing when I enter a certain area might just make me do it.

I hit a similar bug, a section of the map is completely inaccessible no matter which way I approach it. Thankfully playing on PC means I can use the console to get through any quests that might be there but it's still ridiculous.

I sorta just got to Skellige, if i mainline it, how many hours do i have left?

Around 15 hours.

Megasoum

Banned
I just remembered that that I never finished Bioshock 2 or Minerva's Den because there was a weird audio bug with the game. Can't remember what it was exactly... Something about sound effects missing or multiple sounds playing at the same time or something.

I probably changed PC and OS twice since last time I tried... I could probably try to play it at some point even if Brad spoiled the big Minerva's Den twist on the podcast.

My problem with Infinite is that Star Trek already took the "infinite universes" trope and did something a thousand times more compelling with it in Yesterday's Enterprise.

Just got to the GOTY email in last weeks Bombcast, when Brad said, and I quote "there's always some stick in the mud who holds things up way longer than they need to", and my braid damn near imploded.

If you don't think he was being having a joke and being self referential you're crazy.

That is top tier, but, the one I recommend to friends if they've never seen an episode is Space Mutiny. Or if they only have 15 minutes, the Mr. B Natural short. My god.

My tapes from back in the day are still around somewhere. I was in the Info club, watched every week, just haven't thought about it much until the Kickstarter was announced.
Final Sacrifice is the absolute best by far. Pumaman and the Joe Don Baker movies are honorable mentions.

Zohar! (I don't know much beyond Xenogears, Xenoblade and some wiki stuff I read) I hope your full essay makes it in the podcast :)

Thanks! I don't specifically mention the zohar, but i do talk about the games's themes of Christianity and Gnosticism and how they're represented in many plot points and objects in the the universe.

I had to hold myself back a bit when i wrote it lol. I'm a huge nut for the xeno franchise.

TraBuch

Banned
I've been on a 60's music kick lately, trying to expand my horizons and all that and I've gotta say, I REALLY dig The Zombies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My problem with Infinite is that Star Trek already took the "infinite universes" trope and did something a thousand times more compelling with it in Yesterday's Enterprise.

My problem with it is that it's a terribly executed story regardless of how many other people got the same story right.

my problem with Infinite is that it's just not a very good game coupled with a not very good story. if either part was stronger, it could have made up for the other.

it's actually kind of shocking how unfun it was to actually play that thing

TraBuch

Banned
Bioshock Infinite would be better if the gameplay was as good as Wolfenstein's, or if the story, characters and world-building were as good as Wolfenstein's. Actually, just play Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Heimbeck

Banned
Bioshock Infinite would be better if the gameplay was as good as Wolfenstein's, or if the story, characters and world-building were as good as Wolfenstein's. Actually, just play Wolfenstein: The New Order.

According to GiantBomb.com Destiny is better.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man but that first hour of Infinite when it actually had promise and you didn't realize every aspect of the game was going to turn into a steaming pile of mediocrity.

Seriously, I'm extremely tempted to come back to it. Fuck, was that so good.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with it is that it's a terribly executed story regardless of how many other people got the same story right.

Terribly executed? I'm curious why you think this. Like or dislike of the story aside, I thought the narrative was paced really well and the reveals, when they happened, were really well done. How the game sprinkles hints throughout that Booker isn't who he seems, all the foreshadowing, the entire last 2 hours of the game. All that stuff worked for me 100%. So many amazing moments towards the end: Comstock House, Liz and Songbird, old Liz, the Luteces, Rapture... man it was amazing! I don't get hung up on logistics because all time travel/parallel universe stories are nonsense, it never works. So Liz's explanation of the mechanics of it towards the end I just accepted.

Lijik

and Kojima doesn't even mention the events of the game when we see the entire timeline at the credits of MGSV.

To be fair, including anything past "Big Boss dies" (which unless im wrong is the entirety of Rising) would kind of ruin the coda that timeline was ending on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom