• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

The Witcher books are really good, y'all. Or at least The Last Wish is. Just finished the story A Question of Price, and it has some major connections to the characters and events of Witcher 3. Really fascinating stuff.

The problem with the Witcher books is the translation. The translation is pretty terrible with all those books. Good stories though.

Myggen

utdekcS.gif

tumblr_lc032asLqQ1qcs3sko1_500-Copy-Copy.gif

edit: Brad was totally on the right side of history with Minerva's Den. That's still one of the best DLC ever.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The problem with the Witcher books is the translation. The translation is pretty terrible with all those books. Good stories though.

Really? German versions are alright, bummer if the english translation sucks.
Also NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
Usually German translations is the most heinous thing possible

Myggen

Really? German versions are alright, bummer if the english translation sucks.
Also NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS.
Usually German translations is the most heinous thing possible

Other people might disagree, but to me the English translation is pretty terrible.

Since everything is translated to German I would think you guys would be good at it.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
WHAT THE FUCK

That was a really abrupt and unsatisfying ending

the brad shoemaker argument promise, no one wins

I actually don't remember how that resolved, other than who won

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
tfw you get into a twitter convo with a games critic about the power of consoles and he claims late-gen 360 games "looked and ran great" and "If the ps4/xbone never existed, the Fallout 4 we would’ve gotten instead would’ve run fine on 360."

Makes you appreciate industry pundits like Jeff who actually know things and have perspective and insight into the industry.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
tfw you get into a twitter convo with a games critic about the power of consoles and he claims late-gen 360 games "looked and ran great" and "If the ps4/xbone never existed, the Fallout 4 we would’ve gotten instead would’ve run fine on 360."

Makes you appreciate industry pundits like Jeff who actually know things and have perspective and insight into the industry.

Who is it?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Who is it?

An academic/critic, I don't wanna throw him under the bus. He has written some really, really good stuff as well, I just hate when people who are ignorant, in the literal sense of the word, to performance issues (like, can't tell FPS drops) speak as if everything runs great and people who notice issues are just being pedantic.

Ah fuck it I'll mention his name, Brendan Keogh. He wrote Killing Is Harmless, a book close-reading Spec Ops: The Line.

Wunder

the brad shoemaker argument promise, no one wins

I actually don't remember how that resolved, other than who won

It pretty much devolved into them breaking down the two DLCs as one great stand-alone and one great 'add-on' and I guess they just gave it to Brad because he was not gonna budge. It was a weird discussion specifically because neither Brad or Vinny played through Bioshock 2

Gaming confessions.

I only bought Bioshock 2 because of a pricing error and immediately traded it in at another store for more trade credit then I bought it for.

Also I never finished Bioshock 1.

Gaming confessions.

I only bought Bioshock 2 because of a pricing error and immediately traded it in at another store for more trade credit then I bought it for.

Also I never finished Bioshock 1.

The worst of confessions. You should finish them sometime, fantastic games although the story in 1 is way better than 2 however there are things I liked about the story in 2 just as much. In the end, they both are worthy games to beat.

Gaming confessions.

Until recently I thought the main character in Zelda was named Zelda and not Link.

I liked Bioshock 2 more than 1. Come at me.

I can see why, 2 had better gameplay but the story suffered. The impact the first one had was much more than the second. I loved all 3 to be honest but if i had to rank them it would be Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite and then Bioshock 2.

I love how in the ending of Bioshock Infinite
Booker says how insane it is for the city being underwater lol.

strafer

Bioshock 1 is amazing.

Bioshock 2 is great. Minervas Den is even better.

Bioshock Infinite is probably one of my favorite games.

jaina

"I has too much combat." "I don't want to spoil Minerva's Den for the ones in the room who haven't played it"

I continued my treck through Bioshock earlier today. It's a nice atmosphere but the constant splicer spawning when you backtrack through rooms is annoying because it messes with my "level fully cleared" playstyle.

So do we have confirmed reports if Drew is watching Survivor Series tonight?

Still think he should watch the next NXT special as well just for the full wrestling experience and try and understand how the best wrestling show and the worst wrestling show are put on by the same company.

jambo

An academic/critic, I don't wanna throw him under the bus. He has written some really, really good stuff as well, I just hate when people who are ignorant, in the literal sense of the word, to performance issues (like, can't tell FPS drops) speak as if everything runs great and people who notice issues are just being pedantic.

Ah fuck it I'll mention his name, Brendan Keogh. He wrote Killing Is Harmless, a book close-reading Spec Ops: The Line.

Fallout 4 on 256 MB of RAM would be a special kind of hell.

Ein Bear

Bioshock 2 is vastly better than Bioshock 1.

Whilst the setting and art in Bioshock 1 is lovely, I've never really enjoyed actually playing the game. It's just a long series of fetch quests in the dark, using poor gunplay to fight insanely bullet-spongey enemies.

Bioshock 2 significantly improved the combat, and offered up a more focused, slightly more linear experience that really benefitted the game.

Bioshock 1 is amazing.

Bioshock 2 is great. Minervas Den is even better.

Bioshock Infinite is probably one of my favorite games.

GB's discussion about the game while Vinny plays in the other room is damn great. Thinking about it, since it's coming to backwards compatibility for Xbox One, I'll probably get through the Burial at sea DLC. Heard good things about it.

He has the look that says "I am here to wreck shit."

It's that Jack Nicholson eyebrow.

Beer in mind that I havent played a single Zelda game. I've seen pictures and the covers always feature Link in some fashion and the game is called Zelda.

I just put two and two together. Plus I was young and dumb.

Will probably play the games when the time is right.

You're in for a great time.

kiguel182

I'm trying to watch Metal Gear Scanlon but man, their player on the iPad really sucks. Not only it rarely sincs with the PC but it stops and resets a bunch too.

I'm trying to watch Metal Gear Scanlon but man, their player on the iPad really sucks. Not only it rarely sincs with the PC but it stops and resets a bunch too.

just download the Video Buddy app and use that. it won't save/resume with your pc, but at least you can watch the video

Megasoum

Banned
Confession time...

I never really liked Dave Snider.

I always thought he sounded a bit pretentious at times and I've never been a fan of his work. GB is by far my favorite gaming website but the actual site always had terrible design. The worst thing is that the tradition of bad design continued when Alexis took over.

Anyway... Like... I don't hate him or anything but let's say I don't exactly miss him.

Last time I've seen him on video was one of the charity stream (EL 2014 maybe?) and he couldn't look more bored and out of place than that.

Dunno... Maybe it's just his more design oriented mindset that doesn't mix well with my more technical/engineer mind. For example I'll always remember during one of the DCS video (probably original ql) where he was bitching about the cockpit's design and how they should hire designers to do it properly when in reality aircraft cockpit's are one of the most over-engineered thing in the world. Every switch and button placement is carefully planned to be in the optimal position for the pilot to reach when needed.

Anyway, it's a dumb thing to get angry about but it always rubbed me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom