• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I stuck with BB when it came out, it's my first ever souls type game and I enjoyed it alot. I think the reason why I never stuck with Dark or Demon souls is because of how slow the combat is compared to BB. I can't imagine going back to it now though, not with the amount of games that are out, BB came out at a time where there were very few to no games even.

Good on Brad for beating it though, I'm sure he'll be the only one that has it on his list unless Vinny beat it as well.

Meneses

So I've been watching the Life is Strange videos over the week-end and every single videos I've ran into really bad stuttering issues once I get roughly halfway through those videos.

Man I hate the site's video player...

Same here, I thought there was something wrong on my end...

Xater

I'm glad I stuck with BB when it came out, it's my first ever souls type game and I enjoyed it alot. I think the reason why I never stuck with Dark or Demon souls is because of how slow the combat is compared to BB. I can't imagine going back to it now though, not with the amount of games that are out, BB came out at a time where there were very few to no games even.

Good on Brad for beating it though, I'm sure he'll be the only one that has it on his list unless Vinny beat it as well.

I had real trouble going back to Damon's Souls 2. Still excited for 3 though after what I have played.

Heimbeck

Banned
Did Jason beat Bloodborne? I think I remember him saying he didn't like it as much as Dark Souls, but I can't remember if he actually beat it or not.

When Brad was getting the platinum Brad told him he was near the end and should finish it, but Jason said he got "Bloodbored"

TraBuch

Banned
Bloodborne has better gameplay than all of the Souls games. Seriously, I've been meaning to go back to Dark Souls and finishing the platinum, but I can't. It just feels so slow and clunky. Bloodborne's ruined the Souls games for me. Unfortunately, it has a bit less replay value. Hopefully the DLC fixes that.

AngryMoth

Well, I got the 'true' ending to undertale. Holy shit I missed so much on my first run, that game has really gone up in my estimations

Bloodborne DLC review thread is teetering on the edge of getting real dumb. I would think at this point posters would be self aware enough in review threads to not at least publically get upset over an 8/10 review score or make claims about a piece of content they have not had an opportunity to play Hopeful, cooler minds will prevail.

Bloodborne may still be the game that pushes me to get a PS4 this year. Ugh, there's little else at this point though. Gran Turismo has me excited too especially since a solution has come up for using a G27 wheel on the PS4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne DLC review thread is teetering on the edge of getting real dumb. I would think at this point posters would be self aware enough in review threads to not at least publically get upset over an 8/10 review score or make claims about a piece of content they have not had an opportunity to play Hopeful, cooler minds will prevail.

Bloodborne may still be the game that pushes me to get a PS4 this year. Ugh, there's little else at this point though. Gran Turismo has me excited too especially since a solution has come up for using a G27 wheel on the PS4.
This will never change

Curufinwe

This thread? It seems pretty mild.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144595

Joeku

What mistakes are you referring to?

Also I have a really hard time reconciling that the same person could think Infinite is terribly written and also think Burial At Sea is not flaming trash fan-service fanfic-level canon wankery with no point to it at all other than to even more specifically tie the universes together, which was already done more effectively and subtly in Infinite. Jack and the Little Sisters aren't even characters... smh, what was Levine thinking.

Sorry, I was out for the whole night. Since then, though, this topic happened: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144538

People in there get to a lot of it, but I can summarize it shortly as Infinite is a stupid game wearing the mask of a smart game and doesn't really play well most of the game. In BaS, they embraced the hamminess and stopped playing at being more than it was, corrected a few plot discrepancies, and had some stealth that was leagues more fun than anything in the base game.

I am mostly talking about Episode 2, though. I remember in Episode 1 some NPCs had a conversation effectively including the line "a benevolent dictator is truly the best system of government" and it just screamed "HEY GUYS REMEMBER YOUR INTERNET DISCUSSIONS?".

This all said, Noray, I definitely recognize that I'm even in the minority here amongst people who weren't a fan of Infinite. It just fell so flat for me and had tendrils of ideas that grew beyond their grasp. So when BaS crimped and clipped those to keep them controllable it worked so much better. I'd have loved if the "infinite" idea went further
because infinite realities means "basically two key types but also the alternate Star Wars title"
, but I still blame the base game for that.

As a slight aside, I think the way I enjoy BaS is the same reason that single-player DLC on big-ass games can be really good and often better than the base game in general. Minerva's Den, Left Behind, Blood Dragon (if you will), the GTA IV expansions, the Dishonored expansions, etc. They learn from the game and change things for the better, all while usually more concise.

Yeah, after recent events, I was wondering how this thread in particular would go. So far so good, mostly...

faridmon

Man, I am having trouble watching GBE playdate (Life is Strange) because I can't seem to fast forward and hour into the video since have watched half of it yesterday. Wish it was in youtube

Any solution to this problem?

Ask Rorie, I think they are pretty approachable when it comes to stuff like this.

I might do that actually. Thanks!

popo

That bloody sub extension deal has triggered all sorts of fraud warnings from my credit card company. They didn't come straight out and ask me why I was ordering Giant Bombs over the internets but they seemed really surprised when I told them it was a genuine transaction - they were so sure it was dodgy that they preemptively cancelled my card and sent out another before even phoning me. I am sure I used this card before on GB but I think it used to transact as "whiskey media" which might have made a difference.

When they went to all the trouble of changing billing companies they really should have made sure paypal was an option for everybody.

So far it sure is. Worst and funniest post is the guy complaining of a 7.5 score when "to me it is a 8.0".

Houndi101

Dans 5 inch pale chub

tumblr_mr5ybfzh8F1qzc065o1_500.gif

Is the Blodborne DLC really just reused areas with poop on them?

At least it seems like the put a bunch of new weapons in it. I think Ill wait for a price drop though.

Herbs

Banned
Dan really should have helped Drew unlock gun customization, its kind of a huge part of the game

drew wouldn't give a shit. he seems to be just focused on making it through. hell, even in the latest episode he breaks down how he just follows the rails of a game because he can get overwhelmed easily.

Dineren

Banned
Is the Blodborne DLC really just reused areas with poop on them?

At least it seems like the put a bunch of new weapons in it. I think Ill wait for a price drop though.

I'm pretty sure Brad said that only the starting areas of the DLC were like that.

Dan really should have helped Drew unlock gun customization, its kind of a huge part of the game

I think the only time I used the customization was to put a silencer on a sniper rifle earlier than it would normally be available. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I actually ended up being pretty disappointed with the gun customization in MGSV. The way it works, and the fact that you can't combine parts across weapon types, it might as well just be the linear progression that already exists in the R&D paths.

KingKong

I actually ended up being pretty disappointed with the gun customization in MGSV. The way it works, and the fact that you can't combine parts across weapon types, it might as well just be the linear progression that already exists in the R&D paths.

it gives purpose to researching the dozens of different weapons, otherwise you'd just stick with one assault rifle or pistol all the way through

Dineren

Banned
OK. Seems like its just the opening area. Thats ok.

Also is brad playing on NG+ in the QL?

Yeah he is. I think my save is right before Gherman on NG+. Haven't decided if I'm going to bother with the DLC yet, hopefully there isn't much of a difficulty ramp in ng+ if I do.

But researching those weapons already gives you the variation, the gunsmith stuff is irrelevant at that point.

the most annoying part was having to research things that were largely unrelated to the things you specifically wanted to unlock. and the research times near the end of the tree are absurd

the most annoying part was having to research things that were largely unrelated to the things you specifically wanted to unlock. and the research times near the end of the tree are absurd

Yep. The idea was good, I'm a sucker for weapon customization, but the implementation was too obfuscated. Just let me research "sick-ass FLIR scope thing" instead of spending hours researching some bunk-ass gun because the level 6 version has the scope I want. And shit, let me put an 8x sniper rifle scope on my pistol, why not?

Par Score

Man, I am having trouble watching GBE playdate (Life is Strange) because I can't seem to fast forward and hour into the video since have watched half of it yesterday. Wish it was in youtube

Any solution to this problem?

Have you tried switching between Progressive / Streaming / HTML5 and seeing if it lets you skip then?

Yep. The idea was good, I'm a sucker for weapon customization, but the implementation was too obfuscated. Just let me research "sick-ass FLIR scope thing" instead of spending hours researching some bunk-ass gun because the level 6 version has the scope I want. And shit, let me put an 8x sniper rifle scope on my pistol, why not?

Probably because the game wants to maintain some level of balance in the missions. You could make some truly broken shit without having to follow the "if you use this you can't get higher than an A rank" guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom