• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvk1

What an awesome game moment, right? To take the concepts and expectations of the game and twist them like that was so cool.

I got shivers in the game the first time
the photo blurred out and you jumped into the William timeline.
I was just like...oh boy this is happening.

I got shivers again when Vinny and the gang experienced that moment.

Just, so damn good.

Wait what? That's pretty much EXACTLY what I expected to happen from the beginning. Like seriously?

We get it dude, you think this game is shit.

I got shivers in the game the first time
the photo blurred out and you jumped into the William timeline.
I was just like...oh boy this is happening.

I got shivers again when Vinny and the gang experienced that moment.

Just, so damn good.

I wish I'd played it for myself, but I'm happy to be experiencing it with GBeast. Just not enough time for all the great games this year.

Par Score

It doesn't give me that option right now. I am planning to be a subscriber soon anyway, hope that fixes any qualms I have with that video service.

Can you downloads videos if you are a subscriber?

Oh, I forgot those things were locked if you're not subscribed.

Yeah, you can totally just download 'em as a subscriber (at a quality of your choosing) if that's better for you.

HOLY SHIT. The last 30min or so of the latest Life is Strange play date.

Yeah, I had NO IDEA about any of that shit, loved that the guys were just as shocked.

Do you ever have positive things to say about anything? This is a rhetorical question and I don't want an answer.

Come on man, have you seen my MGS V posts? That game is amazing. Also, Super Mario Maker is really good even if I wish I was better at Mario games. Also this year has been overall fantastic for games from what I've seen.

jaina

I wish I'd played it for myself, but I'm happy to be experiencing it with GBeast. Just not enough time for all the great games this year.
Yeah I'm still debating whether I should play Tales of the Borderlands or watch a Let's Play (15 hours of video during chores are easier). At least it's unlikely to be part of GOTY discussions.
Ugh my gaming schedule has been influenced too much by GOTY spoiler fear.. I should just play what I'm most interest in at the moment.

Yeah I'm still debating whether I should play Tales of the Borderlands or watch a Let's Play. At least it's unlikely to be part of GOTY discussions.
Ugh my gaming schedule has been influenced too much by GOTY spoiler fear.. I should just play what I'm most interest in at the moment.

I know the feeling. I need to finish MGSV and Witcher before GOTY podcasts because I know one or both will be thoroughly spoiled, but I don't think I'm too concerned about others games. I'd like to play Fallout before the end of the year, but the story is zero percent of the appeal for me.

Come on man, have you seen my MGS V posts? That game is amazing. Also, Super Mario Maker is really good even if I wish I was better at Mario games. Also this year has been overall fantastic for games from what I've seen.

Ok I was being unfair. But yes, the LiS "twist" totally took me off guard and I'm glad for it.

There's one word that Jeff uses in essentially every discussion that never seems appropriate, but for some reason I can't think of it right now. It is something like "supposedly" but I'm pretty sure that's not it. It's definitely indecisive language kind of like how he always says "I don't know" and ends sentences in a questioning tone.

I found it! Other guys do it too apparently, but the word is "necessarily". Like "I don't think this game necessarily looks good." Wait what? Why would you use "necessarily" there? It drives me nuts.

popo

I'm hoping for a GBEast thanksgiving is strange liveshow, but I think they said they wanted to play something else last week. But here's hoping we have some kind of show this week!

If Beast really are taking over the annual pre Turkey Day stream then it will likely be free for everyone and so LIS would be an odd choice.

jaina

I know the feeling. I need to finish MGSV and Witcher before GOTY podcasts because I know one or both will be thoroughly spoiled, but I don't think I'm too concerned about others games. I'd like to play Fallout before the end of the year, but the story is zero percent of the appeal for me.
See, I'm luckily not worried about Witcher 3. If they spoil any of it, I will have forgotten by the time I got through Witcher 1 & 2 and reached 3.
MGSV I'm at 54 hours/ mission 21 and debating whether it's really necessary to push the extra 40 hours until New Year's.
My main focus right now is Undertale and Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (Vinny has 19 hours in it, so continued after the QL).
Story isn't my concern for Ori/ Arkham Knight / Fallout 4, and Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't possible before next year. Nobody played Pillars, much Dreamfall Chapters or Zestiria. Austin won't spoil X.

Let myself watch a little of the Bloodborne QL. If there's one thing FROM nailed in Bloodborne among many others, it's the unsettling voicework/yelling from enemy NPCs/enemy hunters. It sounds so creepy.

Ok I was being unfair. But yes, the LiS "twist" totally took me off guard and I'm glad for it.

I guess I just expect that kind of thing from any time travel games. I figure the next part is
probably going to have her dealing with the decision to save Chloe's dad's life or her ability to walk along with the decision as to whether she should tell Chloe that she had that choice to begin with. My guess is that the overall message of this story is to stop looking back on what-if and just move forward with the decisions you've made because ultimately there is no perfect path through life

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also, seriously, if beast wants to play another game all about how changing one small thing in the past creates huge ramifications in an alternate timeline, they should play steins;gate.

yami4ct

they need to finish LiS before GOTY discussions. i'll watch the Playdates once they're done.

Sadly, this won't happen. They are leaving for GotY stuff pretty much right after break and the next episode is extra long. Even if they used the pre-Thanksgiving stream to do that (Which I agree, would be a bit odd, but I would enjoy it), they would only be able to clear Episode 4 and that's if they did a really long stream.

I think with what they've done, it should still get in the discussion. It won't be as high up as it should, but as long as it gets mentioned in the relevant categories I'm cool.

Myggen

Let myself watch a little of the Bloodborne QL. If there's one thing FROM nailed in Bloodborne among many others, it's the unsettling voicework/yelling from enemy NPCs/enemy hunters. It sounds so creepy.

Yeah, just the screaming in that game alone makes for some really creepy atmosphere.

strafer

Sadly, this won't happen. They are leaving for GotY stuff pretty much right after break and the next episode is extra long. Even if they used the pre-Thanksgiving stream to do that (Which I agree, would be a bit odd, but I would enjoy it), they would only be able to clear Episode 4 and that's if they did a really long stream.

I think with what they've done, it should still get in the discussion. It won't be as high up as it should, but as long as it gets mentioned in the relevant categories I'm cool.

I hope they didnt. Alex would be absent and that would suck.

He must be there too.

See, I'm luckily not worried about Witcher 3. If they spoil any of it, I will have forgotten by the time I got through Witcher 1 & 2 and reached 3.
MGSV I'm at 54 hours/ mission 21 and debating whether it's really necessary to push the extra 40 hours until New Year's.
My main focus right now is Undertale and Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (Vinny has 19 hours in it, so continued after the QL).
Story isn't my concern for Ori/ Arkham Knight / Fallout 4, and Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't possible before next year. Nobody played Pillars, much Dreamfall Chapters or Zestiria.

Oof, even more games I need to play. I forgot about Ori and Pillars, both of which look like I'd love them.

I wonder if they'll take spoiler consideration for Tomb Raider being released on other platforms later? I wouldn't be upset if they didn't, but that is a game I will end up playing.

I guess I just expect that kind of thing from any time travel games. I figure the next part is
probably going to have her dealing with the decision to save Chloe's dad's life or her ability to walk along with the decision as to whether she should tell Chloe that she had that choice to begin with. My guess is that the overall message of this story is to stop looking back on what-if and just move forward with the decisions you've made because ultimately there is no perfect path through life

That makes sense. I guess I wasn't giving the game enough credit, and assumed I had seen all of its tricks already. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else it has in store.

I wonder if they'll take spoiler consideration for Tomb Raider being released on other platforms later? I wouldn't be upset if they didn't, but that is a game I will end up playing.

They can't, the release dates on other platforms can't be a concern if they have to talk spoilers during discussion. I'd rather they spoil the whole story than try to dance around it, if it was important to the GOTY talks.

Man PS4 got fucked on that deal.

yami4ct

They can't, the release dates on other platforms can't be a concern if they have to talk spoilers during discussion. I'd rather they spoil the whole story than try to dance around it, if it was important to the GOTY talks.

Yep. GOTY talk needs to be completely open no matter the circumstances. You can't full evaluate or argue for a game if you're dancing around spoilers. It just wastes time and ultimately hurts discussion.

Which is why I should really buy/beat Undertale before this all hits.

Yep. GOTY talk needs to be completely open no matter the circumstances. You can't full evaluate or argue for a game if you're dancing around spoilers. It just wastes time and ultimately hurts discussion.

Which is why I should really buy/beat Undertale before this all hits.

Yeah I agree with you both. It's an unfortunate situation.

Megasoum

Banned

Fun fact, the game was actually called "What if" at some point very early on before they decided on the actual title.

yami4ct

Isnt steinsgate a hentai? Its a visual novel right?

Not all VNs are H-Games. A good chunk of them are, but a lot of the best stuff isn't. Steins;Gate and Uchikoshi's Infinity Trilogy are some that immediately come to mind for non-H VNs. Just played the Infinity Trilogy this year. So good.

Oof, even more games I need to play. I forgot about Ori and Pillars, both of which look like I'd love them.

That makes sense. I guess I wasn't giving the game enough credit, and assumed I had seen all of its tricks already. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else it has in store.

Fun fact, the game was actually called "What if" at some point very early on before they decided on the actual title.

Yeah I mean I'll admit it seems like a decent game, but I guess I'm just being a bit reactionary to all the GOTY talk surrounding it when it's more like a decent adventure game with some dialogue that bothers me and a story that seems like it came from the brain of a 15 year old who just saw
Donnie Darko

Just started watching the GBEast Life is Strange stuff.

I love how Vinny's desire to break everything is so at odds with what Alex and Austin (and the game) want him to do.

yami4ct

Well, I would say that, but Vinny has seemed really hesitant to experiment with the time powers at times, as though making a decision would lock him into it.

It's weird. I think the end of Episode 2 kind of spooked him, but the game doesn't really do that without giving you a really massive amount of warning. I think the fact that it's used so sparingly is what makes the end of Episode 2 so amazingly effective.

LiK

Just started watching the GBEast Life is Strange stuff.

I love how Vinny's desire to break everything is so at odds with what Alex and Austin (and the game) want him to do.

that might frustrate me. adventure games are played for narrative. trying to break them makes the LPs unfun to watch. I prefer Vinny messing around in open world games instead. but i'll still watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom