• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
I was watching RAW last night and Goldust came out dressed up as a baby for 1998 New Years and Stone Cold came out and lowered a used porta potty into the ring and stunnered Goldust into it and flipped it on it's side. It was amazing.

You guys just dont understand.

Oh god I remember that. That might have been the last time I watched wrestling until this year.

Austin's GOTY

it was me, austin – ‏@austin_walker

Final XBCX tweet for now: There's an NPC who runs a place called "Army Pizza" & when you talk to him he says "MOVE OUT! DEPLOY THAT PIZZA!"

Oh god I remember that. That might have been the last time I watched wrestling until this year.

You have nearly 16 years of wrestling to catch up on friend!

I guess it's not to their taste, but I'm surprised none of the guys recognized the Alt-J at the beginning of Episode 2 of life is strange. They're a fairly well known band.

Edit: I guess Alex did recognize it eventually.

Cnylolh.gif

jambo

I might not have gotten enough sleep or something's not displaying right on my phone but what am I looking at here

Video of a YouTuber denying that Ubi bought his opinion on AC:Syndicate, followed by him confirming that they paid to fly him to an event.

Anjin M

Since I'm spending all my time filing out job applications online, I figured it's time to watch the Persona 4 ER. Seems like good background material. Wish me luck.

danm999

Since I'm spending all my time filing out job applications online, I figured it's time to watch the Persona 4 ER. Seems like good background material. Wish me luck.

Remember to check the job board also every few days once you've increased your Courage.

Good luck though.

I love how we'll be probably getting random, awesome things now till they settle in the new studio. Hoping for the best for the duders.

I've been watching this win an island thing for JC3 and when the video ended I clicked my other tab to continue browsing then I suddenly hear Brad and Jeff's voice, came back to the page and was greeted with this.

yami4ct

The idea the best thing we can say about a sequel to Xenoblade is 'it's funny because the localization folks embraced the stupid' and 'it's entertaining in the same way Deadly Premonition is' is legit depressing. That game should be so much more than just so dumb it's hilarious.

The idea the best thing we can say about a sequel to Xenoblade is 'it's funny because the localization folks embraced the stupid' and 'it's entertaining in the same way Deadly Premonition is' is legit depressing. That game should be so much more than just so dumb it's hilarious.

FWIW it sounds like Austin is enjoying it, he said he's sunk around 35 hours into it.

I think Austin's take says very little about the actual game, so maybe you should wait for the game to actually come out before sinking into the depths of despair.

yami4ct

FWIW it sounds like Austin is enjoying it, he said he's sunk around 35 hours into it.

It's fine that he enjoys it for what it is and it sounds like 8-4 did a fantastic job salvaging what seems like might be a complete train wreck otherwise. I still have zero plans to play it because it is the exact opposite of everything I loved about Xenoblade.

I think Austin's take says very little about the actual game, so maybe you should wait for the game to actually come out before sinking into the depths of despair.

Eh, it wasn't just Austin's opinion that pushed me against looking forward to XCX. Everything I've heard from people who've imported already prepared me for the worst. Austin just has reinforced that those people aren't crazy. I'm interested to hear more impressions, but I don't expect much.

If you're interested in playing a Xeno game with a heavy focus on story/characters, you really should give Xenogears/saga a shot. They blow Xenoblade out of the water comparatively, especially Xenosaga 3.

As for the game itself, he didn't say that "the best thing we can say about it," it was just something interesting to note in the short time they usually give to the "what have we been playing" segment.

yami4ct

If you're interested in playing a Xeno game with a heavy focus on story/characters, you really should give Xenogears/saga a shot. They blow Xenoblade out of the water comparatively, especially Xenosaga 3.

I'm definitely going to give Gears a shot one day. Saga is a bit daunting because of how huge it is and I've heard not so great things about parts of it.

Xenoblade worked so well for me not only because the story was fun, but also because the gameplay is great and the world is unique and cool as well. It's really sad that XCX throws out 2/3rds of what I liked about the original.

I'm definitely going to give Gears a shot one day. Saga is a bit daunting because of how huge it is and I've heard not so great things about parts of it.

Xenoblade worked so well for me not only because the story was fun, but also because the gameplay is great and the world is unique and cool as well. It's really sad that XCX throws out 2/3rds of what I liked about the original.

As much as I like Xenoblade and the whole franchise, I think its the worst of the three main Xeno entries. While Xenogears and Saga are much more scripted in what you can explore in the world, the universe and the writing in general are far more interesting and ambitious in what the games both set out to do. The mecha combat in Gears and Saga adds such a large amount of style and depth to the combat which keeps it really interesting. Xenosaga 3 especially with its dynamic camera angles and mecha customization (rockets, gattling guns, one sword, dual wielding, engines, frames, and so much more) makes it feel like you're actually playing a Gundam anime (which was Takahashi's main inspiration for the mechs and their designs in these games).

Xenogears is an easy recommend, but Xenosaga like you said is much more daunting. That game had some serious development issues in its first two outings, but man that third game is really something special.

Xenoblade is a fantastic game and easily a top 5 game on the Wii, but between the gameplay, writing, universe, art, story, characters, and especially music, its a pretty massive downgrade from Xenosaga 3.

Edit: I don't wanna come off like I'm bashing on Xenoblade because I have way more positives to say about that game than negatives, but I'll just say my biggest issue with the game is how it turned a franchise known for being a sci-fi RPG with some fantasy elements into a fantasy RPG with sci-fi elements. We don't get enough sci-fi RPGs in comparison and I'm glad more than anything that Xenoblade X is returning to a more sci-fi themed experience.

Jintor

jesus, i gotta carve out the time to play xenogears one day then because xenoblade is probably up there in terms of my favourite gaming OSTs of all time

jesus, i gotta carve out the time to play xenogears one day then because xenoblade is probably up there in terms of my favourite gaming OSTs of all time

I didn't say Xenogears OST was better, though I think they're pretty even since I love Mitsuda's work, but the OST is pretty small and can get repetitive in the first half of the game. I was talking about Xenosaga since Yuki Kajura composed the score for Xenosaga Episode II's cutscenes and the entire score for Xenosaga Episode III. Though I'm kind of biased on this because I'm a huge Kajura fan and she's my favorite composer.

I'll just link this for an example. Probably one of my top 5 songs in the series

Jintor

sorry. all the xeno titles bleed together.

i'm very surprised none of them made a joke about zeno clash, the chillaen first person brawler

sorry. all the xeno titles bleed together.

i'm very surprised none of them made a joke about zeno clash, the chillaen first person brawler

Its fine. Admittedly, I know way more (and probably care way more) than I should about the universe and development history of the series.

But I've never seen a Star Wars or Alien movie before so I guess my sci-fi knowledge just balances itself out.

hamchan

Played and finished Xenogears earlier this year. That game has aged pretty badly.

The camera is terrible, the poor designs of some of the dungeons lead to getting lost way too often, the text speed is super slow with no option to speed it up, disc 2 mainly consists of large amounts of text of screen describing what is supposed to be happening in a cutscene.

Though the overall story and music are pretty good.

Played and finished Xenogears earlier this year. That game has aged pretty badly.

The camera is terrible, the poor designs of some of the dungeons lead to getting lost way too often, the text speed is super slow with no option to speed it up, disc 2 mainly consists of large amounts of text of screen describing what is supposed to be happening in a cutscene.

Though the overall story and music are pretty good.

Disc 2 got some really bad budget cuts that resulted in what you saw

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, let's talk about ar tonelico 2 instead.

It actually does social links better than persona!

Also speaking about dope jrpg music, a game based around song magic has great music. Big surprise.

Nah, let's talk about ar tonelico 2 instead.

It actually does social links better than persona!

Also speaking about dope jrpg music, a game based around song magic has great music. Big surprise.

I need to find some time to play the Ar Tonelico and Ar Nosurge games. I know one of them is more of a VN with an english translation on the internet, but they always seemed real interesting.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, good lord some people.
Eventual full disclosure.
good grief
Eh. I remember Jeff talking about getting flown out to events and it being more of a a hassle than anthing else. I think this was back when Capcom would fly the gaming press to Hawaii, for example. Or remember Ryan and Vinny in Liverpool for some racing game? That guy might be a little naive about it, but this isn't exclusive to youtubers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom