• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Anyone have a timestamp for the pale chub?

edit: I swear this wasn't planned to happen again. Found the app the butt city video is from and I gotta make a thing.

Just finished the last Life is Strange playdate...Oh man. I don't know if I want to wait for them to play it or look up the rest of the game myself. I think playing it is out of the question since I've already seen more than half of it but man, it really ends on a jaw dropper.

Just finished the last Life is Strange playdate...Oh man. I don't know if I want to wait for them to play it or look up the rest of the game myself. I think playing it is out of the question since I've already seen more than half of it but man, it really ends on a jaw dropper.

Yup and episode 4 is even better.

Yup and episode 4 is even better.

It's almost a lot like Lost. I got my first :O moment and now I'm worried it's gonna go over the top and jump the shark.

I do love Lost though.

Edit: I wish I could just jump in from episode 4 with the same choices the crew made or something. I don't want to watch someone annoying play the game but I don't want to play up to that point myself.

Overwatch getting positive comparisons to TF?
aP9m9ya.gif

I'm dying for a TF2 successor so bad. Maybe not $40 bad, but we'll see. If Blizzard can morph it into something sustainable and long-term, I may very well have found my next shooter-home.

Also, all wrestling fans are victims of a bizarre Stockholm Syndrome variant. It's the only explanation.

Eh.

First half definitely.

I kind of liked the second half of it more :|

It's almost a lot like Lost. I got my first :O moment and now I'm worried it's gonna go over the top and jump the shark.

I do love Lost though.

Edit: I wish I could just jump in from episode 4 with the same choices the crew made or something. I don't want to watch someone annoying play the game but I don't want to play up to that point myself.

Unfortunately it does jump the shark. Still a really good game, but episode 5 falls off at a point and its a steady decline right through the end.

Quentyn

No joke though, the first half of episode 4 was one of the most powerful moments of gaming that I've ever played.

I really liked
the conversation with Victoria. I didn't like her so much at first, but in the end she turned to be one of my favorite characters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kind of liked the second half of it more :|

Unfortunately it does jump the shark. Still a really good game, but episode 5 falls off at a point and its a steady decline right through the end.

I kind of think it lost its way last half of 4 and first half of 5 but then came back during at the end.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I really liked
the conversation with Victoria. I didn't like her so much at first, but in the end she turned to be one of my favorite characters.
You are the second member of #Team
Victoria
, Welcome.
I liked her all the way through but I also liked Cordelia in Buffy who Victoria shares a surname and personality with.

Third member! We are legion.

I kind of think it lost its way last half of 4 and first half of 5 but then came back during at the end.

That's kind of funny because I'm almost at the complete opposite (I didn't think the first half of 4 was bad in anyway, it was all great). I'll stop though for the sake of the rest of the thread since we don't need to dive into that stuff before the GBEast crew does.

tchocky

I really liked

I liked her all the way through but I also liked Cordelia in Buffy who Victoria shares a surname and personality with.

Antiwhippy

That's kind of funny because I'm almost at the complete opposite (I didn't think the first half of 4 was bad in anyway, it was all great). I'll stop though for the sake of the rest of the thread since we don't need to dive into that stuff before the GBEast crew does.

Haha yeah, I'm getting too carried away here.

Gestahl

The final sequence(s) in Fallout 4 is/are some of the most bizarre shit I've ever seen in videogame storytelling. It's like the main narrative just crumpled into itself into some sort of singularity of confusion. I can't remember ever seeing that many failed quests over the course of maybe half an hour. 3 was bad but at least I could follow it on some level

Joeku

Man... I really need to keep going in Fallout 4. I've been shitting on the story so far big time in general, but the way the ending is getting talked about sounds...impressive. Were I to mainline it, what's the rough ETA?

Haunted

Not a ton happening in MGScanlon episodes (at times) really highlights how Dan's on screen persona doesn't really do interesting stories or quick-witted banter during the downtime. Demo Derby was saved by the Jeff's addition, his industry knowledge was invaluable to keep it from being too dry and only consisting of initial reactions (Drew) and childlike reminiscing (Dan).

Maybe Jason could take a more active role, he was a terrific co-pilot for Breaking Bradborne.

Brashnir

Not a ton happening in MGScanlon episodes (at times) really highlights how Dan's on screen persona doesn't really do interesting stories or quick-witted banter during the downtime.

Dan's only real move when forced to improvise is to call people idiots.

As evidence, I present the periscopes from Patrick's Mario Maker streams, and the clip of him at the wrestling thing,

hamchan

The final sequence(s) in Fallout 4 is/are some of the most bizarre shit I've ever seen in videogame storytelling. It's like the main narrative just crumpled into itself into some sort of singularity of confusion. I can't remember ever seeing that many failed quests over the course of maybe half an hour. 3 was bad but at least I could follow it on some level

The story pretty much has a strong focus for 3/4 of it, then it doesn't and it turns into "ok just kill everyone else." The End.

Antiwhippy

Not a ton happening in MGScanlon episodes (at times) really highlights how Dan's on screen persona doesn't really do interesting stories or quick-witted banter during the downtime. Demo Derby was saved by the Jeff's addition, his industry knowledge was invaluable to keep it from being too dry and only consisting of initial reactions (Drew) and childlike reminiscing (Dan).

Maybe Jason could take a more active role, he was a terrific co-pilot for Breaking Bradborne.

Demo Derby was fantastic even without Jeff.

Diesel and PlayStation truck happened pre-jeff.

Myggen

Demo Derby was fantastic even without Jeff.

Diesel and PlayStation truck happened pre-jeff.

Yeah, it's ridiculous to say that Demo Derby was "saved" by Jeff when it was a fan favourite before Jeff joined. I can't really remember Demo Derby being "dry" before he joined. DD got better by Jeff joining like everything is better with Jeff, but it wasn't close to being "saved" by him.

repeater

The story pretty much has a strong focus for 3/4 of it, then it doesn't and it turns into "ok just kill everyone else." The End.
B-but.. I heard Bethesda doesn't get enough credit for their storytelling?

pronk420

Watching Brad play blood borne reminds me of why I dislike it so much, even someone who has platinumed the game basically devolves into trying to spam more dps and health regen than the enemy whilst getting hit. Sure he dodges now and then but a lot of the hunter fights are just them standing trading blows and Brad trying to get the enemy to zero health first. In souls you would need to block hits, but in this because of the health regen you don't need to and can win it back by just spamming attack whilst taking hits.

repeater

Watching Brad play blood borne reminds me of why I dislike it so much, even someone who has platinumed the game basically devolves into trying to spam more dps and health regen than the enemy whilst getting hit. Sure he dodges now and then but a lot of the hunter fights are just them standing trading blows and Brad trying to get the enemy to zero health first. In souls you would need to block hits, but in this because of the health regen you don't need to and can win it back by just spamming attack whilst taking hits.
I wouldn't really say Brad's playstyle in the QL is representative of high level Bloodborne play.. I mean, for most of the proper boss fights "trying to spam more dps and health regen than the enemy whilst getting hit" will get you killed very swiftly.

Gestahl

Also I spent something like the last 40 hours of the game in full power armor with dozens of cores and a fully powered gatling laser that effectively never ran out of ammo and cut through every single enemy like butter on Survival. It almost felt like I was using console commands.

I really need to see this, it sounds like a terrific mess.

repeater

Yeah, I always considered the health regen mechanic to be another layer of the risk/reward system that Souls games employ.
Yeah. Admittedly, I haven't played any of the previous Souls games (Dark Souls 3 will be my first), but it seems to me that the health regain mechanic was a neat little twist on that gameplay that added, as you say, more of a risk/reward balance and which premiered a somewhat more aggressive playstyle. It didn't seem to entirely subvert the whole Souls formula, but it did seem to shake things up enough to avoid too much fatigue to set in after three largely similar installments in the series.

Gestahl

Let me try to organize what happened to me personally.

*FALLOUT 4 SPOILERS* *FALLOUT 4 SPOILERS*

Okay so I'm at the battle on Bunker Hill mission. The Institute wants me to retrieve a bunch of synths and I have the options to tell the other factions about what's going on. So I go to the Railroad and their asshole of a leader shits on the Minutemen which is effectively me by all rights so I tell her to go fuck her self (initiating dialogue gets the same choice prompt but whatever).

So I go to the Brotherhood, and Maxson and gang make me do a bunch of menial shit I don't get any option to talk about Bunker Hill but I go with the flow and then it turns into building Liberty Prime of all things again and getting that obnoxious Dr. Li out of the Institute and back into the Brotherhood. But I do all that, I do the Danse stuff that just comes out of nowhere and I think finally I can get to this Bunker Hill stuff. And my character just fucking blurts out, without any choice or even button input, the details about the synths and Maxson's all hell yeah time to murder everyone so I reload and just avoid the optional objectives altogether.

Then I finally get to Bunker Hill and everyone's there anyway. The caravans, the railroad, the BoS, the Institute, FUCKING EVERYONE. And none of them are hostile to me! At this point I just say fuck it and I blow the Courser's brains out which prompts a random visit with Dadson I psychically intuit I guess (I can't interact with any of the escaped synths so I leave Bunker Hill). So I go and tell him he's a disappointment and blow his brains out before he gets a chance to warp away.

Now I'm back at the Brotherhood and they're all you know Liberty Prime is really cool but you know what would be really cool??? Murdering everyone in the Railroad and taking their robot too! And it's just like that's a little much isn't it? I don't really want to go around murdering entire factions, it's not like I like the Railroad or anything but they haven't done anything to me and their synths just want to leave period, I'll go to my ~home base~ and sort things out before moving this forward any more.

So I'm at THE CASTLE dun dun dun and I'm just fucking around in the settlement window or my pipboy or something and all of a sudden Ronnie's screaming at me and I'm getting this quest about Defending the Castle. At first I think it's more radiant garbage but then it starts talking about the Institute and suddenly I'm locked into killing something like 5 or 6 waves of synths and coursers. This only takes 5 minutes or so because I am very nearly invincible at this point, but whatever it's done, and when it ends my BoS quest to murder the Railroad just auto-fails. I don't know why, but it's gone and Beta Bitch Preston miraculously grows a pair and starts talking about blowing up the Institute for whatever reason. And I'm just so fucking lost at this point I have no idea where anyone stands or what I should be thinking or feeling so I sleepwalk through the end and finish it all up.

And then after it ends and I return to base Deacon turns hostile and me and Dogmeat end his ass. The End.

Zocano

I had a fun conversation in the Fallout 4 OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1143359&page=59

spoiler tags and stuff but I'd still give caution. I'm not quite done just yet.

repeater

Also, when I think about it, if the "Best story" category of GB's GOTY includes considerations of storytelling, I think Bloodborne should show up during the discussions. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the crew paid enough attention to the story to get much out of it.

Maybe Jeff will read the "Paleblood Hunt" dissertation if I send the link to his Tumblr?

:'(

Zocano

Also, when I think about it, if the "Best story" category of GB's GOTY includes considerations of storytelling, I think Bloodborne should show up during the discussions. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone in the crew paid enough attention to the story to get much out of it.

Only Vinny ever really cared about the lore side of the Souls games.

Heimbeck

Banned

I think it will come down to Fallout 4 or MGS V.

repeater

Only Vinny ever really cared about the lore side of the Souls games.
Yeah, and in difference to e.g. a Bioware RPG, it's entirely possible to get a lot of enjoyment out of the game without paying any attention to the story at all.

Dan, if you're reading this -- can you give us a synopsis of the story of Bloodborne, as you remember it, in three sentences or less?
I think it will come down to Fallout 4 or MGS V.
Really? Fallout 4 for story? Have any of them been talking about enjoying specifically the story of Fallout 4 a great deal? MGS5, for all the controversy about the story, at least warranted a spoilercast.

Heimbeck

Banned
Really? Fallout 4 for story? Have any of them been talking about enjoying specifically the story of Fallout 4 a great deal? MGS5, for all the controversy about the story, at least warranted a spoilercast.

On the latest Jar time Jeff said it is one of the best video game stories in decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom