• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soma is a shoe-in for best story imo. I hope it gets some love during the discussions, I really love that game but I think it was overlooked a bit. Its reputation as a horror game from the makers of Amnesia does it more harm than good. It's not particularly scary and is more focused on narrative than spooks.

I agree, but I don't think it will get much recognition. Really a sleeper hit this year.

except wait a minute, I fucking hate gimmick posts

4HoMG2Y.gif

AngryMoth

I went back and played the first few quests of fallout last night and I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep going with it. I was pretty excited going in but I very quickly got bummed out at just how little the had evolved from their previous games, especially considering the generational leap. I'm really struggling to find things to like about it; combat, characters, quest design, none of it's grabbing me. Small things like having to load to go inside buildings are really bugging me. It's impossible not to think back to the witcher and how unfavourably this game compares in pretty much every aspect.

I agree about the main story, especially the way Fallout 4 foists an undercooked backstory on your character to try to wring some drama out of the parent/son dynamic.
This shit sucks, the backstory that they force on you doesn't fit with the kind of character that I tend to go with in these games, it's not like that stuff just affects the intro either.

I got to a point in the main quest where I confronted someone who might know about my son and every dialogue option was just a variation on whining about wanting my kid back, they frequently manage to break any sense of control over my character and that's a real shame.

Xater

I went back and played the first few quests of fallout last night and I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep going with it. I was pretty excited going in but I very quickly got bummed out at just how little the had evolved from their previous games, especially considering the generational leap. I'm really struggling to find things to like about it; combat, characters, quest design, none of it's grabbing me. Small things like having to load to go inside buildings are really bugging me. It's impossible not to think back to the witcher and unfavourably this game compares in pretty much every aspect.

Just stop now. I tried to find it in 15 hours and just became more frustrated with the game.

hamchan

Why? He said he gave it a 9.9.

Oh I forgot he said that. Never mind then.

What I like about going through Dan's old reviews is that he's remained consistent with how he is today. Also he gave Dynasty Warriors 5 a 87% B so respect for that.

kiguel182

Ugh, this player is so slow to me today. Can barely watch anything. They need to get this sorted.

Sorry people, just needed to vent.

EDIT: Ugh, keeps hanging. I need my GiantBomb content.

This shit sucks, the backstory that they force on you doesn't fit with the kind of character that I tend to go with in these games, it's not like that stuff just affects the intro either.

The backstory (at least, the male PC's) could have been a smart way of explaining why your character is proficient in combat and with power armor from the opening hours of the game, the latter being something that required training which was received fairly late in 3 and New Vegas.

Instead, it's a handful of lines of additional dialogue. And you can have a weak-ass character character with a law degree and low Strength, Endurance, and Agility stomping around in Power Armor the moment she finds some.

Myggen

NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 5 OF ZELDA GAMES FOR ME

I can see that even if he gave it a 9.9. His all time favourite game is A Link to the Past. He would also probably rate at least Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker (even though he gave the remaster a 9.25/10) and ALBW over Twilight Princess.

kiguel182

nah it was being crappy for me too. not sure if it's the player or akamai or some combination of the two.

both need work.

I'm trying to watch a video and it just hangs and reloads. Sucks. They have been having some issues I think but hopefully this can be fixed soon. I had no problems a couple of days ago.

kiguel182

In the history of launch titles, there has never been a single one that comes remotely close to the quality and excellence of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Wasn't Mario 64 a launch title?

Anyway, I like Twilight Princess more than most people but damn, was Dan in love with it.

Never change, Dan. Never change.

that's something both Dan and Jeff share, for some reason if you go back really far with either of them, they say things that they would still say today.

I can respect that

it's like finding your own posts on a forum or something from a shitload of years ago and finding yourself agreeing with yourself.

Has anyone here played Noby Noby Boy? Is it a fun game? I love Katamari.

yep. not particularly. me too.

"I'm in the group that wants to do grinds while holding an American flag, then pull a pizza out of my ass and take a bite in the middle of a 900." -
Skate 2; 7.5

by the way Skate 2 may be the best skateboarding game ever made

Wasn't Mario 64 a launch title?

Anyway, I like Twilight Princess more than most people but damn, was Dan in love with it.

Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 were all launch titles.

Super Mario World doesn't come "remotely close to the quality and excellence of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Twilight Princess is an excellent game, fuck the haters. How anybody can prefer Windwaker over it boggels my mind. Did people just forget how utterly tedious Windwaker actually is ? Looks way better than TP though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
TP is even more tedious. I don't like either.

You are insane. INSANE. Nothing is more tedious than Windwaker. Holy shit, I spent so much time jsut changing the wind, slightly oversailing my target, changing the wind back, slightly oversaling it again etc.
Give me 800 of those stupid TP lightning bugs to collect instead.

"Unfortunately, the rest of the songs sound like they were taken off of the BK Chicken Fries commercial." - Dan conveying the quality of Big Mutha Truckers 2's music in the only way he knows how

tesqui

This Bloodborne DLC is great!

I was hoping Vinny would be participating in the quicklook, but then again I don't think he's even passed Gascoigne in the base game. Hopefully he gets a chance to play more of it. I'd hate for him to have no opinion of Bloodborne come game of the year talk.

How many times does he reference Metal Gear in non Metal Gear reviews?

A quick Google search turned up...

Indigo Prophecy:
The huge group of gamers who were put off by the ending of Metal Gear Solid 2 should probably steer clear of the last couple hours of Indigo Prophecy, because it's just as initially confusing and not nearly as good.

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks:
Metal Gear Solid can be beaten in less than three hours. God of War took about seven. It's been proven many times that a game doesn't have to be at least 20 hours long to be great.

Bomberman Act Zero
I remember getting a Konami booth tour at E3 back in May, and I was walked right past all the Metal Gear Solid information that I desperately wanted, and straight to a Bomberman Act: Zero booth.

And even Destroy All Humans 2:
Despite the quality of the acting, Destroy All Humans 2 has entirely too much dialogue. It's a fun action title, it really doesn't need dialogue rivaling the amount in Metal Gear Solid 2.

Plus a bunch of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom