• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Has anyone here played Noby Noby Boy? Is it a fun game? I love Katamari.

It's a fun toy to goof around in. It was cheap and I don't regret it, I can fire it up for ten minutes and laugh at nonsense every now and again.

Twilight Princess is an excellent game, fuck the haters. How anybody can prefer Windwaker over it boggels my mind. Did people just forget how utterly tedious Windwaker actually is ? Looks way better than TP though.

Easy, I played the Wii version. It's fucking awful, just like any other game that replaces simple actions with shake your hand around and hope.

"I'm trying to think of a way to say 'it's short and it's way better with two people' without it coming off as some kind of sexual joke, but I'm failing to do so."

"Even months later, RE4 proves its timelessness"

"Song selection for Tony Hawk soundtracks have been consistently terrible for the most part."

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
No other game in the series features such a wide variety of enemies. [...] Spectacular boss fights are a given in this franchise, but TP absolutely went above and beyond my expectations. Without a doubt, these are the most epic and intense end-dungeon baddies you've ever seen.

Is it truly a contender for "greatest game of all-time"? It's certainly a possibility [...] I think that I'll have an even greater appreciation of this title once I go back to reviewing run-of-the-mill, churned-out generic crap like Just Cause.

After some mixed reactions for the last two main Zelda adventures, gamers can now cherish what is truly the spiritual successor to Ocarina of Time. Hyrule is once again a world of hugely enjoyable gameplay around every turn, and Twilight Princess features the best story in the heralded series' history. [...] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is without a doubt one of the greatest achievements in the history of the industry, and it would be a crime to go without this experience.

http://www.lawrence.com/news/2006/nov/14/review_legend_zelda_twilight_princess_wii/

Quentyn

For the next OT

DSCF3294_t640.JPG

He also randomly quotes the reviewer's guide in his review. It's pretty great.

"This insane attention to detail is made extremely apparent in the massive create-a-wrestler mode. More user-friendly than ever, this game will allow you to create just about anything you can imagine. My RoboHitler was complete with an eye visor, hook hands, skin that resembled metal and the people in the crowd even held up the German flag and "SUPPORT THE TROOPS" signs for him."

hamchan

http://www.lawrence.com/weblogs/gamer/2005/apr/13/mizzledagamas/

New profile for Dan Ryckert, for newbies who don't know him yet.

Dan Ryckert
Common Multiplayer Username: LarryDavid
Most played console: PS2
Favorite Game: The entire Metal Gear Solid series. Great gameplay, hilarious sense of humor, and (most importantly) the best stories ever told in videogames. Sons of Liberty is better than any film I've ever seen.
Most overrated current-gen game: Halo and Halo 2. Terrible single-player mode and entirely unoriginal and repetitive. Why aren't there bots in multiplayer?!
Most underrated current-gen game: 007 Everything or Nothing. First great Bond game since Goldeneye. Didn't get much attention when released (thanks to the previous crappy games), but was fun as hell. The motorcycle mission alone makes it worth checking out.
Best current-gen game no one played: Gitaroo Man
Favorite game of 05 so far: Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 3
Favorite NES game: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
If I were any video game villain, I'd be: Waluigi
If I were any video game hero, I'd be: Mega Man
Favorite Developer: Capcom
Worst movie based off of a game: Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Good god, that movie sucked.
Non-gaming hobbies: Making short films, skydiving, whiskey

------

So yeah same guy. Just didn't know that Dan hated Halo 1 and 2 so much.

"Funniest moment by far: Dropping a piano on a girl's head while I was dressed as a giant bird" -
Hitman: Blood Money; 8.4

"The MGS series is renowned as having the best story in videogames, and reducing it to standard action movie dialogue and brief action scenes really doesn't do it justice." - Dan's prophetic review of the Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel

"Decent first effort" - Dan's review of the fifth Commandos game

"Creating a stage filled with interesting platforming segments and good enemy placement is a true commitment and the payoff isn't there." - Mega Man Powered Up; 87%

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
These reviews are really fitting the Dan as Homer Simpson narrative.

What's the English equivalent for [ Groaning ]?
I'd say ''transcendent.
'How about ''groin-grabbingly transcendent''?

I remember back in fourth grade, I was enough of a loser to play a 24-hour Genesis marathon. I even constructed a giant construction-paper circle with sections representing each of my Sega games. I attached an arrow, and each hour I would spin it to see what game I would play next. This may explain why I didn't do too well with women back then.

Over ten years later, and many of the games from my Loser Wheel are all on one disc with the Sega Genesis Collection for PS2.

I guess we know what next year's Extra Life stream is going to be like.

(also, the review goes on to shit on Gain Ground which is not a good look)

EDIT: Here's Dan's Mii from 2006.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I guess we know what next year's Extra Life stream is going to be like.

(also, the review goes on to shit on Gain Ground which is not a good look)

EDIT: Here's Dan's Mii from 2006.

That mii is definitely into some serious hohokum

Brashnir

Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 were all launch titles.

Super Mario World doesn't come "remotely close to the quality and excellence of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess."

This is the same man who recently said that Super Mario World was one of the only two perfect games ever made. (TP was not the other one)

You are insane. INSANE. Nothing is more tedious than Windwaker. Holy shit, I spent so much time jsut changing the wind, slightly oversailing my target, changing the wind back, slightly oversaling it again etc..
Unless they changed this for the Wii U version you don't need to change the wind direction for every little thing, you can sail against the wind just fine (if a bit slower). I know they added the Swift Sail but I never got that, so it's not that either.

I only ever changed the wind direction based on my general direction.

Wind Waker (HD since that's the first time I played it) is my favourite Zelda game.
"Decent first effort" - Dan's review of the fifth Commandos game
That's great. I miss Commandos.

Most overrated current-gen game: Halo and Halo 2. Terrible single-player mode and entirely unoriginal and repetitive. Why aren't there bots in multiplayer?!

SMH

Probably played on normal. Halo on normal is kind of ass.

jaina

Life is Strange:
I liked her all the way through but I also liked Cordelia in Buffy who Victoria shares a surname and personality with.
That's a great surname discovery! I'm also #Team
Victori
a

For the next OT
http://worldonline.media.clients.el....JPG?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf7613005fe067
He also randomly quotes the reviewer's guide in his review. It's pretty great.
Saved it locally, don't ever want to lose this image.

"Once you've seen all the attacks and tired of the humor, all that's left is a disappointing beat-em-up that fails to live up to the titles it's paying homage to." -
God Hand; 6.9
(not quite as good as Danny Phantom: Urban Jungle for the DS, which got a 7.1)

"I'm a white guy from Kansas, but I think I'm smart enough to realize that Def Jam Icon resembles 'street life' about as much as God of War resembles the US Marine experience."

"The voice acting is some of the worst I've ever heard in a videogame, and I've played Elebits. When I kicked a henchman off the roof of a giant skyscraper, he sounded as concerned as he'd be if he accidentally spilled some nacho cheese on his pants." - Crackdown, 4.0 in sound

jaina

Yeah, I hope the Super Replay fans get enough out of the remaining Super Replay crew and Dan's GB content. They probably do.

The only person I can name from Game Infromer is Andy McNamara and thats only because he has been working there for 25 years and been its EIC for 22 of them and thats kind of awesome and insane.

Has gamestop always owned GI or was that a cheap buy when for GS magazines where dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom