• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

Something I just thought about with the coming holiday season and my garbage internet, how would a PS4 do in the day one patch world?
a laptop with steam on which you install/update games in the library and then copy steamapps/common/ to your gaming pc at home would work better, IMHO.

Patches can be pretty big sometimes 1-2gig or more, and a lot of games download some of the DLC in a patch even if you don't actually have the DLC.

Frick. What about later copies of a game, do they contain updated software?

a laptop with steam on which you install/update games in the library and then copy steamapps/common/ to your gaming pc at home would work better, IMHO.

Not for exclusives it wouldn't.

jaina

Frick. What about later copies of a game, do they contain updated software?

Not for exclusives it wouldn't.
maybe you'll have some luck with game of the year editions, but I haven't seen many of those around since PS4 launch.
Destiny Taken King was the original disc + download code, but that's even more special because online game.

You could also try playing without day one patches. Only few games don't boot without them.

justjim89

I just finished Tales from the Borderlands.

That shit instantly shot to damn near the top of my GOTY list. Like, holy shit what an incredible package. I've never beat one of the Borderlands games, let alone cared much about the story of the universe, but that was absolutely astounding how good Telltale made it.

Loaderbot for character of the year.

I guess I was more worried if games would run without the patches. I can always delay downloading until the free period of time on the middle of the night, as I already do that with Steam.

jaina

I'm not sure if suggesting a convoluted message is taking the piss, but a laptop with a usb capture card, and then you could bring your console and pipe the screen to the laptop. Do your downloading and then take it home.
a suitcase with a small monitor wouldn't be that expensive (compared to the console itself), I think that's feasible.
I guess I was more worried if games would run without the patches. I can always delay downloading until the free period of time on the middle of the night, as I already do that with Steam.
I that case, I think it'll work out fine for single player games.

That shit instantly shot to damn near the top of my GOTY list. Like, holy shit what an incredible package. I've never beat one of the Borderlands games, let alone cared much about the story of the universe, but that was absolutely astounding how good Telltale made it.

Yeah, it's great. Conversely, Game of Thrones finished up last week and it's total shit. Telltale...not very consistent.

Glad to see people enjoying it. Its easily in my top 5, maybe even higher. It has some of the best writing and lovable characters I've seen all year.

yami4ct

Yeah, it's great. Conversely, Game of Thrones finished up last week and it's total shit. Telltale...not very consistent.

Telltale is hardly consistent in their own Seasons. WD Season 1 vacillated between top class to garbage and back again, sometimes several times in the same episode like with Episode 5. I'm really sold on TftB based on what people have said and seeing Austin's episode 1 playthrough, so I'll check it out before the end of the year. Hoping it hits the Steam sale. Was really surprised how funny episode 1 was. I was expecting it to be a steaming pile of garbage like Borderlands 2. If Gearbox got these writers to do Borderlands 3 (or Borderworlds, or whatever it ends up being called), I might actually be back on board.

Data here is really interesting. I wish they had a view that made the 2013 list look like the 2014 one, with the final staff ranking and sans guests. I want to see if there are any other major examples of the 'Jeff bump' like COD:AW. Putting it in a spreadsheet like that really makes it stick out how high he squeaked that in there compared to what the other staff ranked.

Err.

Nsfw warning for the show notes BTW.

Holy shit, lol. On another note, I'm excited for this.

6xBtBzH.png

It seemed like a very interesting eshop exclusive game from what little we saw in the direct. Also, 1+ for Tales from the Borderlands.

TftB is consistently great. There wasn't a single episode that felt weaker than any other. It was all great and episodes 4 and 5 are fucking incredible. That game for the $10-15 you'll find it on PSN/Steam/Xbox is a complete steal.

Its also got amazing title cards.

danm999

Telltale is hardly consistent in their own Seasons. WD Season 1 vacillated between top class to garbage and back again, sometimes several times in the same episode like with Episode 5. I'm really sold on TftB based on what people have said and seeing Austin's episode 1 playthrough, so I'll check it out before the end of the year. Hoping it hits the Steam sale. Was really surprised how funny episode 1 was. I was expecting it to be a steaming pile of garbage like Borderlands 2. If Gearbox got these writers to do Borderlands 3 (or Borderworlds, or whatever it ends up being called), I might actually be back on board.

Telltale and Gearbox seem to have a pretty close relationship so maybe it can happen.

They definitely manage to do interesting things with even existing Gearbox characters in TftB, and they nail it adding several great new characters of their own.

danm999

TftB is consistently great. There wasn't a single episode that felt weaker than any other. It was all great and episodes 4 and 5 are fucking incredible. that game for $10-15 you'll find it on PSN/Steam/Xbox is a complete steal.

Its also got amazing title cards.

It did comedy and tragedy well I thought.

Catch a RIIIIIIDE.

Yeah it's incredible, not only did Telltale manage to make a bunch of great new characters but they also managed to do a better job with the existing characters than Gearbox ever has. It's a shame that none of the crew have played it because that's a solid contender for a couple of categories. I really hope that the quality of the writing in Tales somehow makes it's way into BL3.

Also, the title card scenes for each episode are fantastic.

I assume that most games would work without the day one patch, you obviously just run the risk of encountering more bugs or whatever.

yami4ct

Assuming they record GotY next week, that's the nail in the coffin for Just Cause 3, right? I know some of the duders have been playing it, but I can't imagine enough will to get it on the main list. Especially given how competitive it is this year. There's always 2016's 2015 GotY I guess, if it's good.

Recording next week confirmed, god the wait for the GOTY podcasts is going to be agonizing.

It's going to come to quick for me, haha. I usually like to be finished with all my GOTY contenders by the time the GB stuff hits. I'm not going to be starting anything until I finish Trails in the Sky SC and I'd love to play Undertale and TftB before the Ginat Bomb stuff hits.

I like to have a Top 10 list done by the end of the first week of January, but it's going to be real tight this year. Still have to finish TitS SC, TftB, Undertale, play some more Splatoon to finalize my ranking on that and play enough Trails of Cold Steel to rank it if it does hit in December. It's all too much. Haha.

danm999

Gotta finish off Fallout 4 (reckon I got 5 hours left), AC Syndicate, Legacy of the Void, Shadowrun Hong Kong and Just Cause 3. I think I can do it.

Catch a RIIIIIIDE.

I like to have a Top 10 list done by the end of the first week of January, but it's going to be real tight this year. Still have to finish TitS SC, TftB, Undertale, play some more Splatoon to finalize my ranking on that and play enough Trails of Cold Steel to rank it if it does hit in December. It's all too much. Haha.

I fell off of Splatoon so fast, it's a shame because I'd love to go back to it but I've struggled to actually find the time.

Catch a RIIIIIIDE.

Teltale completely mitigated their biggest flaw in narrative choice by making the choice about the moment itself and not how it impacts (or in most cases doesn't impact) any future decisions/relationships. The best decision wasn't how to make everyone 3 episodes later happy with you or saving people from dying, but seeing which decisions would be the best to see in the moment, and that game frequently delivered. It was the first time that I felt like a Teltale game was actually great in combination with its mechanics, rather than being a well written and enjoyable game in spite of them.

yami4ct

I fell off of Splatoon so fast, it's a shame because I'd love to go back to it but I've struggled to actually find the time.

The recent influx of maps and items got me to go back and even buy the amiibo pack for the exclusive challenge map items. Also convinced me to finish the single player. I'm glad I did. That game is incredible. I need to play more to finalize my ranking, but it's easily Top 5, might be Top 3 and I could easily see it getting my GotY. Still coalescing my feelings. It's hard because I think Turf War is the best MP mode I've ever played, but I also think Ranked is absolute shit.

It's going to come to quick for me, haha. I usually like to be finished with all my GOTY contenders by the time the GB stuff hits. I'm not going to be starting anything until I finish Trails in the Sky SC and I'd love to play Undertale and TftB before the Ginat Bomb stuff hits.

I'm only on chapter five for SC and really want to keep playing and finish that as well as Tomb Raider, Heavensward and Xenoblade before next year. And you just reminded me of Cold Steel too.

There's no time ._.

yami4ct

I'm only on chapter five for SC and really want to keep playing and finish that as well as Tomb Raider, Heavensward and Xenoblade before next year. And you just reminded me of Cold Steel too.

There's no time ._.

I'm only on Chapter 3 on SC as I waited to finish Tales of Zestiria before starting it. I can easily crank through a chapter a day, but I need to get my ass in gear and actually do it.

Glad I've already pretty much written off XBC and Fallout 4, because that means I should be able to get significant time in ToCS. From what I've heard, it's not as good as the TitS stuff, but XSEED seems to be trying to fix a ton of tonal issues in localization and the new battle system tweaks look really neat. ToCS II is supposed to be one of the best Trails games ever, so I'm so damn pumped for that next year.

I also need to finish The Witcher, but I've already played enough t have an idea where it ranks so I feel less frantic about that.

I'm only on Chapter 3 on SC as I waited to finish Tales of Zestiria before starting it. I can easily crank through a chapter a day, but I need to get my ass in gear and actually do it.

Glad I've already pretty much written off XBC and Fallout 4, because that means I should be able to get significant time in ToCS. From what I've heard, it's not as good as the TitS stuff, but XSEED seems to be trying to fix a ton of tonal issues in localization and the new battle system tweaks look really neat. ToCS II is supposed to be one of the best Trails games ever, so I'm so damn pumped for that next year.

I also need to finish The Witcher, but I've already played enough t have an idea where it ranks so I feel less frantic about that.

Man you really got to get back to SC! Chapters 3 and 4 were something else compared to the first two chapters.

I also hear the same about Cold Steel 2. But even if 1 isn't as good as the TitS games, it's still probably better than most RPGs I play. TitS is a really high bar to live up to.

yami4ct

Man you really got to get back to SC! Chapters 3 and 4 were something else compared to the first two chapters.

I also hear the same about Cold Steel 2. But even if 1 isn't as good as the TitS games, it's still probably better than most RPGs I play. TitS is a really high bar to live up to.

I'm procrastinating because I know every time I pick it up I'll spend way too much time talking to random NPCs and just getting weird side info. The writing is way too clever.

I'm liking the game so much more than FC so far. I appreciate that the game is giving me tons of party options instead of taking away characters all the time. I also find the pacing to be way faster and keeps me going. I still find the Orbament system a bit daunting and hard to manage, but the battles are really fun.

Schera and Olivier's interactions are universally the best thing. So much good shit there.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why are the GB guys moving to another floor?

Edit; Nevermind it seems they are just moving for the sake of moving to a better space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom