• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Dead Space 3 was a great game.
2 is still the high point.

The crafting in 3 was a good idea but became a little much. And I don't think i needed a made for co-op experience.

Still a ton of fun, i am surprised more games haven't stolen the gun that changes vertical/horizontal orientation. Love that thing

When I think of Dead Space 2 I think of rushing through areas filled with enemies before turning into corridors where you get sucked outside in a story sequence and try to avoid being eaten by giant monsters with quick time events. The opening is very tense but nothing really matches up to that tonally from my memory but it has been a while. Very much an action game through and through.

Dead Space 1 was so tense that I couldn't play it, even after I realized that vent = scream then monster. The scariest thing in Dead Space 2 was a loud sprinkler. Still liked it, though.

muffinsAKA

Neo Member
Is there a website where I can look at all of the pictures of Jeff Gerstmann. Please keep in mind this is a private matter. Thanks.

Is there a website where I can look at all of the pictures of Jeff Gerstmann. Please keep in mind this is a private matter. Thanks.
gerstlikey.gif

yami4ct

Just tuned into MGScanlon V for the first time pretty much since it started. Drew isn't nearly as far as I would've expected by now. This thing really is going to take forever.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow I'd never actually seen MGS1 all the way through before. That game is crazy impressive for 1998. Hell, its impressive for now in some ways

yami4ct

Huh, weird.

I thought there was quite a bit of hype behind rodea? It looks thoroughly mediocre.

I think a lot of it stemmed from people being told 'this is a thing from a creator you like and you can't have it'. Sort of built up a mystique it didn't deserve over time because of that.

Also, there are crazy people out there that like NiGHTS.

All these Battlefront screenshots make me excited for future EA games using Frostbite. The new Mass Effect and the Visceral Star Wars game will look great.

Yeah that's what's got me the most excited, not Battlefront, but the potential of singleplayer Star Wars games with Frostbite, it's a hell of an engine and is clearly well optimized in terms of visuals and performance.

Joeku

Dead Space 3 is a great game and people acting like Dead Space 2 didn't totally make a mad dash into action nonsense is really odd.

And relativity pretty and visually diverse!

I should do a series replay, started playing Dead Space 1 again a few months ago and I can now run it at 4K, 144 FPS which is nice.

The most obvious comparison really works: Dead Space 2 to 1 is Aliens to Alien, and Dead space 3 is Alien 3.

Stupid microtransaction bullshit that's totally avoidable still fucked up the way the ammo distribution (the key resource this series had) worked. Co-op was fun though (with some cool Kane & Lynchian stuff) and as stupid as I hear it is, I still want to play the DLC. Anyone up to co-op Dead Space 3 at some point? I'm up for more idiocy.

Nero18

Feel like the discussion on the bombcast about Battlefront was super strange. I would say both CoD and the new Battlefields are way easier to get into for new players, the kill times are such in those games that even new players could jump in get kills and have fun with other stuff. Battlefront is way more savage.

LiK

Drew needs to play MGR after MGSV. judging from last UPF, this will be a perfect palette cleanser for him after MGSV. he's gonna love the anime and bosses. happy he told Dan not to spoil the rest of the game cuz he wants to play it.

Zaph

Drew needs to play MGR after MGSV. judging from last UPF, this will be a perfect palette cleanser for him after MGSV. he's gonna love the anime and bosses. happy he told Dan not to spoil the rest of the game cuz he wants to play it.

Watching just the intro on UPF, I immediately got the MGScanlon 1-4 vibe. Hopefully they play through it in the new year.

the bootleg office video from last night is making my morning less awful

The Play Asia thread is a great pick-me-up for the midweek humdrums.

Seems kind of early for them to have their GOTY stuff recorded next week. Guess some are going out of the office or something similar soon after that?

good recommendation. it's giving my "skeleton" chrome extension a workout.

mostly that thread made me wonder when the new Gal Gun is coming out in the US

Seems kind of early for them to have their GOTY stuff recorded next week. Guess some are going out of the office or something similar soon after that?

they always do it around that time.

LiK

Watching just the intro on UPF, I immediately got the MGScanlon 1-4 vibe. Hopefully they play through it in the new year.

yea, I think MGR already gave Drew that feeling of the first 4 MGS games in terms of insanity. should be good game to end on for MGScanlon. I wanna see Drew's reactions to the cutscenes and insane boss fights.

Patryn

The most obvious comparison really works: Dead Space 2 to 1 is Aliens to Alien, and Dead space 3 is Alien 3.

Stupid microtransaction bullshit that's totally avoidable still fucked up the way the ammo distribution (the key resource this series had) worked. Co-op was fun though (with some cool Kane & Lynchian stuff) and as stupid as I hear it is, I still want to play the DLC. Anyone up to co-op Dead Space 3 at some point? I'm up for more idiocy.
I still say the co-op was a stupid inclusion. I'm willing to bet the vast majority or players played single-player only, meaning they never got to see the content only accessible in co-op.

I'm so glad that stupid trend appears to be over.

I did like and enjoy Dead Space 3 though. Was annoyed I triggered the infinite ammo bug early on and didn't realize it until close to the end. Feel like I should play it honest to see if it's still as easy without that bug.

Co-op was fun though (with some cool Kane & Lynchian stuff) and as stupid as I hear it is, I still want to play the DLC. Anyone up to co-op Dead Space 3 at some point? I'm up for more idiocy.
Wait, what did they do with the co-op to warrant the Kayne and Lynch nod?

I already talked about my DS3 co-op experience but I'll just go ahead and say it again

fuck DS3

Wait, what did they do with the co-op to warrant the Kayne and Lynch nod?

I assume he means the stuff where the second player is constantly hallucinating which would be kind of amusing if it wasn't so frustrating

I already talked about my DS3 co-op experience but I'll just go ahead and say it again

fuck DS3

I assume he means the stuff where the second player is constantly hallucinating which would be kind of amusing if it wasn't so frustrating
That sounds familiar, maybe they mentioned it in the marketing or something. Were the hallucinations more annoying than the DS2 hallucination moments?

That sounds familiar, maybe they mentioned it in the marketing or something. Were the hallucinations more annoying than the DS2 hallucination moments?

so the hallucinations work in two ways:

-at certain points, player 2 (this was me in our playthrough) sees and/or hears things that the other player can't. it's not very effective but it's a cool idea

-at other points, it literally separates the two players and player 2 is sent into a dream world thing where you have to fight a billion of those awful little baby monsters and shoot a rock or something to escape? in the meantime your buddy is locked in a room fighting monsters without backup until you can return. if either one of you fails, you both fail and you have to restart the entire sequence. between the crummy netcode and the fact we were playing on Hard, this resulted in like 10 failures in a row

e: oh good, double post. GAF is super busted today

yami4ct

Man, that Play-Asia thread went from Bravely Defualt costume change thread funny to actually kind of sad. Did not expect it to keep rolling down hill like that.

Dead Space 3 is a great game and people acting like Dead Space 2 didn't totally make a mad dash into action nonsense is really odd.

And relativity pretty and visually diverse!

I played through DS3 in coop with a buddy. I enjoyed it, the gun crafting was a blast. We'd both step up to the bench and then compare the silly guns we'd made.

Man, that Play-Asia thread went from Bravely Defualt costume change thread funny to actually kind of sad. Did not expect it to keep rolling down hill like that.

it got big to the point where now people are defending their choice to enjoy dumb titty games against... nobody? I'm not sure who's telling them not to play them? weird persecution complex in there.

as long as it's not gross loli shit, I don't give a crap, and I think I kind of fall on the more progressive side of things in a lot of cases?

it's still less weird than the OT otaku thread where people with anime avatars are acting like a persecuted minority. I don't mean that as a put down. I mean literally people are defending having anime avatars against perceived bigots.
most are loli avatars.

Frustrating? In what way, it was limited to like 4 missions. If anything that frustrated me as that was some of the most interesting stuff.

As short as the DLC is it has a good amount of that for both players which I enjoyed. More games need to mess with the idea of both players seeing different things.

Edit: I see you answered above, apologies.

I can see why those moments would be an annoyance. I don't recall having much issues myself. I thought the stuff in those moments was actually pretty effective. Like I said I wish there had been more, me and my buddy who I co-oped it with were super disappointed to find out how limited that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom