• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

it got big to the point where now people are defending their choice to enjoy dumb titty games against... nobody? I'm not sure who's telling them not to play them? weird persecution complex in there.

as long as it's not gross loli shit, I don't give a crap, and I think I kind of fall on the more progressive side of things in a lot of cases?

DoAX is fluff trash, and that's totally OK. I have no interest in it, but I can understand the appeal of things like that and have indulged on occasion. I feel the same way about it as I do most H-Games. DoAX knows what it is and leans into it and that's totally fine. I feel like the vast vast majority of people asking for better representation in games feels similar.

so the hallucinations work in two ways:

-at certain points, player 2 (this was me in our playthrough) sees and/or hears things that the other player can't. it's not very effective but it's a cool idea

-at other points, it literally separates the two players and player 2 is sent into a dream world thing where you have to fight a billion of those awful little baby monsters and shoot a rock or something to escape? in the meantime your buddy is locked in a room fighting monsters without backup until you can return. if either one of you fails, you both fail and you have to restart the entire sequence. between the crummy netcode and the fact we were playing on Hard, this resulted in like 10 failures in a row

e: oh good, double post. GAF is super busted today
That first idea sounds like it would have been cool if it had decent execution, the second idea just sounds terrible from top to bottom. That definitely surpasses the DS2 hallucinations in terms of sheer annoyance.

Dany

Banned
id personally would want to have vinny's wife on the podcast and for her to finally retort everything he's said the last several years.

That first idea sounds like it would have been cool if it had decent execution, the second idea just sounds terrible from top to bottom. That definitely surpasses the DS2 hallucinations in terms of sheer annoyance.

like rossy said, there were only a few of them, but we got hung up on them for too long. especially since there are certain enemies that can land a OHK on you if you're not careful. the rappelling scenes were pretty bad in co-op too, since your odds of failure were doubled. It really did feel like a lot of the co-op was thrown in haphazardly, especially odd since they used that as a major bullet point.

popo

Seems kind of early for them to have their GOTY stuff recorded next week. Guess some are going out of the office or something similar soon after that?

It is about the same week as the last two years. They need to have the podcasts done first and then the bulk of any video finished by the second week of December so that the producers can cut it all together in time.

They are moving the site downstairs. It will probably load slower now as there is always worse reception downstairs

Stop making excuses for them. Everyone knows that the internet pipe comes in to the building at ground level so has less distance to travel. Although uploads should be ever so slightly slower as the effect of gravity several floors up will make it accelerate faster from the off.

is there supposed to be a pre-holiday stream today? GBE to the rescue maybe?

That was the suggestion. SF seems like a non starter.

like rossy said, there were only a few of them, but we got hung up on them for too long. especially since there are certain enemies that can land a OHK on you if you're not careful. the rappelling scenes were pretty bad in co-op too, since your odds of failure were doubled. It really did feel like a lot of the co-op was thrown in haphazardly, especially odd since they used that as a major bullet point.
It's kind of funny to hear that the co-op feels tacked on when you play it because I remember playing it solo and feeling like it was made with co-op in mind.

Patryn

It's kind of funny to hear that the co-op feels tacked on when you play it because I remember playing it solo and feeling like it was made with co-op in mind.
Ditto. As a solo player, there were constant reminders you should be playing co-op.

The weird thing is that barring Gears of War, did any of those co-op focused shooters actually hit big?

Ditto. As a solo player, there were constant reminders you should be playing co-op.

The weird thing is that barring Gears of War, did any of those co-op focused shooters actually hit big?
Would you count L4D and Borderlands? They're pretty different beasts but they're also the only shooters I can think of where co-op is one of it's main focuses and it did well.

Patryn

Would you count L4D and Borderlands? They're pretty different beasts but they're also the only shooters I can think of where co-op is one of it's main focuses and it did well.
L4D is its own thing.

Borderlands is debatable. I was more thinking things like Army of Two and Kane and Lynch. Borderlands is more open and loot focused.

But you're probably right, and I should count it.

L4D is its own thing.

Borderlands is debatable. I was more thinking things like Army of Two and Kane and Lynch. Borderlands is more open and loot focused.

But you're probably right, and I should count it.

Kayne and Lynch and Army of two were definitely the games that I was initially thinking of and I don't think any games like that took off. To everyone's surprise nobody is talking about Hunted the Demons forge or Quantum Theory.

Halo Reach was a Co-op shooter and with Halo 5 its essentially a Co-op franchise now.
I feel like this is a goof that flew way over my head.

it's still less weird than the OT otaku thread where people with anime avatars are acting like a persecuted minority. I don't mean that as a put down. I mean literally people are defending having anime avatars against perceived bigots.
most are loli avatars.

To be fair, I'd be a liar if I said I never intensely judged someone based on their avatar.

SomberOwl

The trophies are out for that new David Jaffe game Drawn to Death. Possible out soon? Announced during the PlayStation experience thing?

To be fair, I'd be a liar if I said I never intensely judged someone based on their avatar.

my point is that an avatar is something you pick for yourself as a way to represent yourself. it's not something you're born with. if someone thinks you're a creepy weirdo for having a drawing of a semi-clothed child as your avatar, there's a pretty easy way to fix that without thinking you're being persecuted.

Oh right. Forgot its had co-op since one. I can't believe i forgot when i played that shit all the time with friends.

image.php

Brashnir

my point is that an avatar is something you pick for yourself as a way to represent yourself. it's not something you're born with. if someone thinks you're a creepy weirdo for having a drawing of a semi-clothed child as your avatar, there's a pretty easy way to fix that without thinking you're being persecuted.

Hey man, I've been unable to change my avatar ever since I got duct taped to this chair. Show some sensitivity!

FluxWaveZ

I finished Until Dawn recently, so I'm finally checking out the GBE Playdate. I can't help but sometimes get anxious about the decisions I see other players make when playing games, but I don't usually voice it since everyone has their own way of going about things.

But, man, Alex...
FINGERS
. He seems pretty tense throughout this whole thing, though, so that might explain some of his confusion regarding what the game is trying to convey to him at times and his constant paranoia.

When Vinny reads my correction on the Beastcast, none of you will ever have an excuse to call it Xenocross ever again!
But Xenocross is a better name than whatever the new one is called, don't take this away from me.
But, man, Alex...
FINGERS
. He seems pretty tense throughout this whole thing, though, so that might explain some of his confusion regarding what the game is trying to convey to him at times and his constant paranoia.
He definitely got way better with that stuff as they got further in but early on he definitely seemed real anxious about messing up.

Zaph

Suicide Kings is pretty damn good, but Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead is the best Christopher-Walken-in-a-chair movie.

Well now you've
Xeno
crossed the line.

I'm actually hoping that Vinny reads your email as I need a brief lore catchup before I play the new one.

There is no catchup. This game as far as everyone who hasn't played the game knows is its own separate thing with little easter eggs of previous games. You can totally go into XBCX without having played any of the previous games Monolith made and be at the same level of knowledge as everyone else. You'll just miss out on the tiny easter eggs that I mentioned.

There is no catchup. This game as far as everyone who hasn't played the game knows is its own separate thing with little easter eggs of previous games. You can totally go into XBCX without having played any of the previous games Monolith made and be at the same level of knowledge as everyone else. You'll just miss out on the tiny easter eggs that I mentioned.
Huh, I didn't know that it went full Final Fantasy with each game. I assumed that while they weren't direct sequels there would be some connections between games.

I get you, but I think there are people upset that don't want to be written off because of the avatar they went with. Not necessarily too much to ask, but good luck having that happen.

And as petty and stupid as that Play-Asia stuff is (why would an import website be so upset about a game not coming stateside?), I gotta say that raising a firestorm about something like this probably isn't going to do much but give that shit oxygen and net PlayAsia more support than it loses.

It's why Donald Trump is going to be our next president.

Suicide Kings is pretty damn good, but Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead is the best Christopher-Walken-in-a-chair movie.

I dunno, man. Dude has to be in a chair in King of New York at some point. Hell, Walken's in a chair for about most of his screentime in True Romance, and that's the best part of the movie.

Huh, I didn't know that it went full Final Fantasy with each game. I assumed that while they weren't direct sequels there would be some connections between games.

Only for Xenogears and Xenosaga. For obvious legal reasons, Xenogears and Saga aren't technically confirmed to be related (Gears IP owned by Squaresoft, Saga IP owned by Namco), but there are tons of story elements/references/easter eggs that point to Xenosaga being a prequel to Xenogears.

Xenoblade however started off as an entirely different game (Manado: Beginning of the World) and was changed to Xenoblade later so there's pretty much no references/easter eggs. I believe XBCX is set in the really distant future of XB, but I won't know until I actually play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom