• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda surprised Jeff mentioned talking to Jerry from PA considering PA is so anti-media and Jerry recently went off on a rant that Phil Kollar DARED to score Mad Max (an average, wet fart of a game NO ONE is talking about) like a 5 or something, and Jeff is no stranger to scoring games well below the average.

Also PA are trash humans.

I very much support the dev's push against game devaluation, but that game relies way too much on 'hey, I look EXACTLY like Metroid' for my taste. Watching the QL and seeing just how Metroid it was put me off. If I want that, I'd go for the real thing.

It diverges hugely fairly quickly.

Kinda surprised Jeff mentioned talking to Jerry from PA considering PA is so anti-media and Jerry recently went off on a rant that Phil Kollar DARED to score Mad Max (an average, wet fart of a game NO ONE is talking about) like a 5 or something, and Jeff is no stranger to scoring games well below the average.

Jerry at least seems like the least awful person in that organization. but that site as a whole has a legendary reputation for planting their feet firmly into their mouths.

AcridMeat

Banned
Damn that's some serious vitriol. Their opinions in the gaming sphere are often pretty nuts but the guy did co-create Child's Play and started PAX so he's still alright in my book.

Myggen

Jeff has been on good terms with him for years I think and Jerry has singled out Jeff as his favourite reviewer. He did that in the very piece about Mad Max I think, or at least close to it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Jerry at least seems like the least awful person in that organization. but that site as a whole has a legendary reputation for planting their feet firmly into their mouths.

It's almost like Gabe has been laying low for the last 2ish years and Jerry has massively stepped up on his Bad, Awful Takes in the interim, coming down with such brave stances such as "SJWs want true artists to censor themselves" and "the games media are evil but also anyone who scores games low is a bad critic".

Someone should take him aside and gently break the news to him that he is also games media.

Jeff has been on good terms with him for years I think and Jerry has singled out Jeff as his favourite reviewer. He did that in the very piece about Mad Max I think, or at least close to it.

He did, which is weird to me for the reasons I stated in my last post. I don't think Jeff would agree with Jerry's philosophy, if you can call it that, on games criticism in the slightest.

Why do some people think overall game scoring/rating should be like darts or whatever, with clustered scores and no outliers. Consensus in criticism is a sham.
Encyclopedia Bombastica: Aeon of Strife

I like the way you think.

Y'know, for the genre name, I still prefer AoS to MOBA.

justjim89

I was curious about Axoim Verge, but SuperBunnyhop's review made it sound really middling, and I typically see eye-to-eye with him on things. That and I'm still not entirely sure if I really like Metroidvania's or just feel like I should. I've never beaten a game in that style before.

Also, totally off-topic, but this thread is probably my most regular social venue outiside of my direct family, so fuck it. Just ran 45 minutes straight today and I've now lost 50 pounds from when I started in early September thanks to motivation from Danswers. Feeling really proud of myself and ready to eat stupid amounts of food tomorrow.

Myggen

Also, totally off-topic, but this thread is probably my most regular social venue outiside of my direct family, so fuck it. Just ran 45 minutes straight today and I've now lost 50 pounds from when I started in early September thanks to motivation from Danswers. Feeling really proud of myself and ready to eat stupid amounts of food tomorrow.

Congrats!

Oh man, that reminds me of how PA broke the story of Jeff getting fired at GS with their comic.

kvk1

nice job, keep at it

AcridMeat

Banned
edit: Justjim that's super awesome. Well done, keep at it!
He did, which is weird to me for the reasons I stated in my last post. I don't think Jeff would agree with Jerry's philosophy, if you can call it that, on games criticism in the slightest.
People can be on good terms with others they disagree with. It's a shocking concept for the internet I know.

Heimbeck

Banned
I was curious about Axoim Verge, but SuperBunnyhop's review made it sound really middling, and I typically see eye-to-eye with him on things. That and I'm still not entirely sure if I really like Metroidvania's or just feel like I should. I've never beaten a game in that style before.

Superbunnyhop?
Intresting name at least.

Also, congrats! Keep at it.

Jerry's company make a lot (more) money because of Giant Bomb.

[EDIT - And good going, justjim! Keep it up!

Although I think I found the weight you lost :( ]

repeater

I found it funny how, in the Bombcast, Brad said something along the lines of the following about Devil's Third: "Almost all the talk has been all negative, but I feel like it's all based on speculation."
Dude, game has been out in Europe for like two months now. The jury isn't even out anymore. We know this one pretty well. :p

Congrats, duder!

TraBuch

Banned
Brad really overrates the use of that new shield in Bloodborne. The only difference between it and the Wooden Shield is that the new one blocks arcane damage. It's useless against physical attacks.

FStop7

Banned

Oh Jesus, a Jerry Holkins rant? How many 30 syllable words did he string together into some inscrutable bowl of mind vomit?

Megasoum

Banned

Fucking A dude! Welcome to the weight loss club. I'm down 90lbs myself in the last year or so. Lots of the process really sucks but the way you feel after loosing all that weight is incredible.

Tubobutts

I found it funny how, in the Bombcast, Brad said something along the lines of the following about Devil's Third: "Almost all the talk has been all negative, but I feel like it's all based on speculation."
Dude, game has been out in Europe for like two months now. The jury isn't even out anymore. We know this one pretty well. :p

Brad doesn't recognize the existence of Europe.

danm999

it got big to the point where now people are defending their choice to enjoy dumb titty games against... nobody? I'm not sure who's telling them not to play them? weird persecution complex in there.

It's a weird persecution complex in general.

To wit;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145438

Thread got shut down almost immediately once someone dropped this hot take;

Serious question, what does Gaf think of grown adults who look like children or very young in real life? Should no one ever be attracted to them because of their genetics? Should they be forever alone because people would look negatively on their SO?

Congrats man, I know how hard it can be. I was really fit and socially active during jr high but I ended up gaining a bunch of weight due to health reasons outside my control and after a move it kind of wrecked my self esteem. There's nothing like having the first words you hear out of boarding school be "Damn, rico you got fat" from the girl you were sleeping with before hand.

Many years ago at this point but I know what a process it is to lose the weight and how good it feels when you do. Was up to 235 then and now I'm 155 and starting to do weights and such. Does wonders for your self esteem when people point out how slender you are, lol.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
People can be on good terms with others they disagree with. It's a shocking concept for the internet I know.

Point taken, but in this case Jerry has a hostility about Jeff's whole livelihood, you know? I'd be a little uneasy about someone who had such a low opinion of my line of work, even if he does single out Jeff for being a good critic. Like, how long until Jeff scores a game Jerry likes low and runs afoul of an acerbic comic and a rant? Anyway that's me done on that topic.

Axiom Verge wears out it's welcome very rapidly. It' a solid few hours that quickly falls into the same gameplay loop as other games in the genre. i'm happy to have paid full price despite this problem, so anything less than that is a good deal imho.

Xenoblade quicklook for Friday and Just Cause for Saturday, hopefully they're both lengthy quicklooks.

That's awesome!

EDIT: Fuck all other news, Kerbal on Monday.

oRcI20u.png

Point taken, but in this case Jerry has a hostility about Jeff's whole livelihood, you know? I'd be a little uneasy about someone who had such a low opinion of my line of work, even if he does single out Jeff for being a good critic. Like, how long until Jeff scores a game Jerry likes low and runs afoul of an acerbic comic and a rant? Anyway that's me done on that topic.

People in the Giant Bomb Community thread care way way way more about what other industry people say about Jeff than Jeff ever will. It shouldn't be a concern.

yami4ct

Kerbal isn't until Monday? Man, that kind of sucks. Kind of confirms no formal Friday stream from East or West either.

Glad Kerbal is getting what seems like will be a regular features, though. Really pumped to watch it.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't know what to think about Vinny playing Kerbal.

On one hand I love everything Vinny does on the site.

On the other hand, I've been following KSP hardcore for like 4 years now and watching almost daily some of the big streamers like Shimmy and EJ_SA who are both building and accomplishing fucking incredible stuff so when I watch someone just building stuff randomly that doesn't make any scientific or physical sense and then just proceed to make it explode 20 feets over the launch pad over and over again, it just bugs me... I guess that must sound fucking elitist but whatever lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom