• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
Would you mind if I used this for a band name?

HA. I was trying to think of the most Jerry Holkins-esque turn of phrase that I possibly could.

You all know what this DOAX thing reminds me of? It reminds of me those hot sauces that include a "waiver" that must be signed before you can purchase them because THEY'RE TOO RISKY AND DANGEROUS YEAAAH

Lelcar

Ok, here's where my top ten GOTY list stands right now. In no order yet, here are the games that will be somewhere within the first nine places of the list:

The Witcher 3
MGSV
Super Mario Maker
Fallout 4
Dying Light
Undertale
SOMA
Arkham Knight
Project Cars

A tie for tenth place right now is for either Life is Strange or Dragon Ball Xenoverse.

Now, I here are the games that I still haven't played that I do want to play, but won't get the chance for the rest of the year:

Until Dawn
Mad Max
AC Syndicate
Pillars of Eternity (I own this one and will try to play some this year)
Tomb Raider
Yoshi's Wooly World
Black Ops 3
Dancing All Night
and Danganronpa: Another Episode.

I will probably play Just Cause 3 this year, unsure though. Not sure if I even want to play Battlefront or Tri Force Heroes though.

Here are some games that I have played through that I do like, but will not make the list, honorable mentions if you will:

Splatoon
Rocket League
Tales from the Borderlands
Mortal Kombat X
Axiom Verge (sort of)

I've already deleted the games that I finished this year and DIDN'T like, so I don't remember all of them, but The Order is one of them. So is Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. Grow Home. Final Fantasy Type 0 too, unfortunately, as a Final Fantasy fan.

I feel like Metal Gear Solid V might actually fall out of my "top 10" list all together, or at least my best of the year. I barely remember anything about the 35 hours I spent with the game, awful sexist story and completely nonexistent level and mission design. What a disappointment :/

I mean, there are enough gameplay bits that stand out to make it a decent game but it doesn't really use them in any interesting ways. It's amazing to me given the series it's apart of just how unmemorable it is, and the physics aren't advanced enough to lead to any kind of dynamic Rockstar esqe fun.

Dineren

Banned
I'm at the part in Soma where
you have to mess around with the computer memory to run some sort of test program.
About how much longer do I have?

I think you're a little more than halfway through. I played most of it on Halloween and am just now getting back to it so I might be remembering wrong.

I feel like Metal Gear Solid V might actually fall out of my "top 10" list all together, or at least my best of the year. I barely remember anything about the 35 hours I spent with the game, awful sexist story and completely nonexistent level and mission design. What a disappointment :/

I mean, there are enough gameplay bits that stand out to make it a decent game but it doesn't really use them in any interesting ways. It's amazing to me given the series it's apart of just how unmemorable it is, and the physics aren't advanced enough to lead to any kind of dynamic Rockstar esqe fun.

It is one of the rare games that every time I think back on it my impressions of it get a little bit worse. It's not really fair to it, since I did enjoy the first 3/4 of it more than most games this year, but all I can remember is how easy it was and how I didn't really have to experiment at all with the tools it gives you to complete it.

Top 10 4?
The Witcher 3
Halo 5
Time Clickers
MGSV

That is all I've touched this year. Other stuff I dabbled in.
Read Only Memories: Fuck this dumb furry future. Hacknet: Cool thing. Ori: Never finished it, was cool though. I got Game Of Thrones season for $5 and all episodes are out now, I think, but I don't think I want to subject myself to another TellTale game. (But if it was Wolf Among Us S2 then I'd be down.)
When you see the set from the other side, it's kind of nuts how open it is

I like the pic of drew there with Drew standing next to it.
All them Twitter re: @ Patrick.

I've only just begun Life is Strange (haven't seen any videos of it) and I've gotta say that DONTNOD have a really great approach to atmosphere--their previous game, Remember Me, was the same. I've only completed Ep 1, but it's been a good setup so far and I'm really excited to see where it goes... not to mention where it ends up come GotY time.
0U3eECD.png

Jeff's responses to these hot topics always manages to impress me.

Lelcar

Honestly, it's the tapes that make MGSV for me. The tapes are what felt the most like Metal Gear Solid with how the dialogue is laid out and the ambient music in the background, without those the game would have been very different to me. For me personally, between the tapes, the Mother Base cutscenes and story cutscenes, I paced it out as such that I was always getting new story stuff. Also, oddly enough, Chapter 2 made my experience better with it. I was furious when I saw Chapter 1's credits, but then in Chapter 2
you get the whole Huey arc, and the infected men, conclusions to other arcs
and the best tapes in the entire game are after the true ending. All this adds up with how much fun I had with the game mechanics, and I still look back on MGSV in high esteem. I also liked MGO3 for a time. It's a good package to me, I haven't changed my mind about it.

Oh and about the weird Konami stuff, GMP and base building was such a non issue for me, I didn't really care about invasions or going into the red or anything like that.

Lijik

Just bought Metal Gear Rising. Very excited to play it.

i finally got around to playing it for the first time this week, you're in for a treat!!

Someone once described that game as "Shit starts real, then gets realer and and realer until it's at the realest," and I'm inclined to agree.

I was thinking about this description when
you finally face Jetstream Sam and instead of waiting for the final phase of the fight for the shit gets real lyrics to kick in, the fight fucking starts with them

Jintor

I was thinking about this description when
you finally face Jetstream Sam and instead of waiting for the final phase of the fight for the shit gets real lyrics to kick in, the fight fucking starts with them

They fade out when he's not using his blade though

that game is so fucking real. i think drew would really enjoy it.

Mother.

Fucking.

Yes.

Someone once described that game as "Shit starts real, then gets realer and and realer until it's at the realest," and I'm inclined to agree.

That game goes places. And those places go to other places. And those places go to even more insane places.

The music is good too.

Mother.

Fucking.

Yes.

Accurate.

Rising is everything I want Metal Gear Solid to be... basically, embracing the insanity of the franchise. (Sorry, Dan.)

Honestly, it's the tapes that make MGSV for me. The tapes are what felt the most like Metal Gear Solid with how the dialogue is laid out and the ambient music in the background, without those the game would have been very different to me. For me personally, between the tapes, the Mother Base cutscenes and story cutscenes, I paced it out as such that I was always getting new story stuff. Also, oddly enough, Chapter 2 made my experience better with it. I was furious when I saw Chapter 1's credits, but then in Chapter 2
you get the whole Huey arc, and the infected men, conclusions to other arcs
and the best tapes in the entire game are after the true ending. All this adds up with how much fun I had with the game mechanics, and I still look back on MGSV in high esteem. I also liked MGO3 for a time. It's a good package to me, I haven't changed my mind about it.

Oh and about the weird Konami stuff, GMP and base building was such a non issue for me, I didn't really care about invasions or going into the red or anything like that.

Pretty much how I feel about it. Those tapes were fucking excellent to listen to and the truth tapes are easily top 10 Metal Gear material. Staying up till 5 in the morning for like a month straight just cranking out more missions and side ops when i had to wake up at 9-10 for class is something I won't forget.

BigBoss

Pretty much how I feel about it. Those tapes were fucking excellent to listen to and the truth tapes are easily top 10 Metal Gear material. Staying up till 5 in the morning for like a month straight just cranking out more missions and side ops when i had to wake up at 9-10 for class is something I won't forget.

Its criminal that those tapes with
Zero
aren't cutscenes, especially the one where
Zero visits Big Boss in the hospital.

That reminds me I bought it when it released on PC and played only the first couple hours. I need to go back, the walkers were annoying the hell out of me because I'm awful awful awful at character action games.

It's one of those games where you can really struggle early on, and then once you've beaten it you can flawlessly progress in the beginning (on harder difficulties, even). Sorta Dark Souls-y, in that respect. That sort of effect in games is really cool. I kinda wish I liked more games that allowed for that. (i.e. skill-based, rather than stat-based)

AcridMeat, you need to go back.

Its criminal that those tapes with
Zero
aren't cutscenes, especially the one where
Zero visits Big Boss in the hospital.

Its weird, but I think that they might have worked better as tapes. Most of them are just two people talking with not much happening in the scene. But the sound work/production values on those tapes in particular are so effective in building a scene in your mind, especially the stuff like Skull Face throwing the bell down the stairs. Maybe cutscenes would have been better, but the tapes were fucking fantastic either way.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's one of those games where you can really struggle early on, and then once you've beaten it you can flawlessly progress in the beginning (on harder difficulties, even). Sorta Dark Souls-y, in that respect. That sort of effect in games is really cool. I kinda wish I liked more games that allowed for that. (i.e. skill-based, rather than stat-based)

AcridMeat, you need to go back.
I hadn't considered that. If I knew that going in I'd have approached it differently. I've always been terrible with remembering combo systems and chains (more so I don't want to learn them) so it makes sense.

I'll get to it, probably.
I still need to finish the DMC remake too. That game was cool as hell but only played 5 hours.

This is why I play so many multiplayer games. I don't have to feel guilty when I don't play them and can always come back.

Jintor

you know, between podcasts and videogame audio tapes, radio shows really have come back in a big way. I even enjoy Fallout 4's dumb silver shroud shows.

Why wasn't Dan on the podcast this week?

We demand danswers.

...Life is Strange is going to destroy me.
I hadn't considered that. If I knew that going in I'd have approached it differently. I've always been terrible with remembering combo systems and chains (more so I don't want to learn them) so it makes sense.

I'll get to it, probably.
I still need to finish the DMC remake too. That game was cool as hell but only played 5 hours.

This is why I play so many multiplayer games. I don't have to feel guilty when I don't play them and can always come back.
It'll take some time and some bosses will be a brick wall. But it's nothing insurmountable.

I think someone said the bosses are designed to teach you core mechanics in the game (to defeat them) and I'd reckon that's true. Monsoon is my nemesis.

We demand danswers.

...Life is Strange is going to destroy me.

It'll take some time and some bosses will be a brick wall. But it's nothing insurmountable.

I think someone said the bosses are designed to teach you core mechanics in the game (to defeat them) and I'd reckon that's true. Monsoon is my nemesis.

That dude is the worst. And then you have to
fight him again
. FFFFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom