• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here play Mad Max? Was thinking of picking it up for $20 from Best Buy. It kinda seems to me like a game that doesn't review well, but is actually still pretty solid.

I haven't played it, but it seems like the kind of game that you wouldn't feel bad about spending 20 bucks on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Anyone here play Mad Max? Was thinking of picking it up for $20 from Best Buy. It kinda seems to me like a game that doesn't review well, but is actually still pretty solid.

It's one of my favorite games of the year just from how good the combat felt

Will Smith posted A Brief History of Tested. It's pretty good if you can get past the opening mandate (which is hilarious in retrospect, especially considering the whole Giant Bomb/Youtubers/criticism/jaded stuff).

It's a nice goodbye video for Will, but it also sort of captures the dilution of Tested after the acquisition. I'm sure they reach a bigger audience now, but so much of their content is so uninteresting to me. I'm far more interested in Will's new project than anything Tested does in the future.

SYOEvWo.gif

Chuck

Still without luck
Guys I can't decide if I want an Xbox. I already have a PS4 so I should just save for a new PC, right?...

jaina

Guys I can't decide if I want an Xbox. I already have a PS4 so I should just save for a new PC, right?...
Name 3 games you want to play on XBO. Name 3 games you want to play on PC.
I still want to play sunset overdrive and quantum break looks neat. Also cup head and inside.
So maybe continue saving for a PC until Quantum Break and Cup Head (also on PC) release?

I still want to play sunset overdrive and quantum break looks neat. Also cup head and inside.

Naturally the choice depends on how much you are willing and able to spend on your hobby, but personally I think getting an Xbox on top of your PS4 and (future) PC is a little overkill. I'd definitely wait until the release of Quantum Break to see how it is received and save a little money on the inevitable Xbox + Quantum Break bundle.

popo

Just Cause 2 to Just Cause 3 seems to be Saints Row 3 to Saints Row 4. You can essentially fly and in order to make cars less irrelevant you can add nitrous to everything.

Patryn

My defense of Fallout 4: "The shooting feels so tolerable though"

More like "The crafting is so much fun."

Seriously, I really like Fallout 4.

I'm like 48 hours in, and I'm far from the finish of the main storyline. In fact, I've only used Power Armor the one time you kind of have to, even though I have like 50+ fusion cores.

It's my RPG hording instincts kicking in. I can't use the cores because what if I have to use them later?

I'm like 48 hours in, and I'm far from the finish of the main storyline. In fact, I've only used Power Armor the one time you kind of have to, even though I have like 50+ fusion cores.

It's my RPG hording instincts kicking in. I can't use the cores because what if I have to use them later?

And then you never use them later.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Just Cause 2 to Just Cause 3 seems to be Saints Row 3 to Saints Row 4. You can essentially fly and in order to make cars less irrelevant you can add nitrous to everything.

You already had superpowers in Just Cause 2. I never once used a car in that game, the only time you needed a vehicle was if you had to cross a body of water too large to use a series of boats to parasail. Helicopters with infinite rockets were alright too, but ground based vehicles were only props to grapple people onto.

AcridMeat

Banned
If you guys need more pushing to get Tales From The Borderlands, the game has amazing musical introductions each episode as well. I played about an hour of episode 2 last night. The intro song was fantastic, picked up the album immediately after.
So don't worry about Roller Coaster Tycoon World not getting recognition in this years GOTY discussions, it's been delayed out of 2015.
For the best. I want them to be able to talk about it more than "oh that released, but EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING I CAN'T"
My defense of Fallout 4: "The shooting feels so tolerable though"

I actually had a lot of fun with the shooting, and that's partly why I played so damn much of it. The crafting/building is the other part. I have a bunch of power armor and never really felt the need to wear it, especially once I got access to ballistic weave to make regular clothing awesome armor. Finished it yesterday at 79 hours. I'm glad I'm done because I was at the point where I would still pick up everything even though I knew I wasn't going to do anything with it. The same thing happened with weapons, I was carrying way more than I needed to, just because I had every single type of weapon/ammo and wanted the option.

There is one location I'm still interested in clearing because it has robot pirates.

Lijik

I'm watching the newest Encyclopedia Bombastica and I started thinking about old games. Does Jeff think games like this are legitimately good, is it pure nostalgia or maybe his interest in the history of video games? Almost everything pre NES (not talking about arcade games tho) just seems like total trash in my eyes and from what I've played most of them play awful.
I think its a mixture from each column depending on the game. Jeff is pretty upfront when he thinks an old game hasnt aged well at all even if its in a jokey way like the time he kept insisting The Last Ninja was a classic in increasingly defeated tones.

I actually had a lot of fun with the shooting, and that's partly why I played so damn much of it. The crafting/building is the other part. I have a bunch of power armor and never really felt the need to wear it, especially once I got access to ballistic weave to make regular clothing awesome armor. Finished it yesterday at 79 hours. I'm glad I'm done because I was at the point where I would still pick up everything even though I knew I wasn't going to do anything with it. The same thing happened with weapons, I was carrying way more than I needed to, just because I had every single type of weapon/ammo and wanted the option.

There is one location I'm still interested in clearing because it has robot pirates.

Yep. I had to recalibrate my expectations with that game once it became clear (within, like, 45 minutes) that it was hella busted and not at all impressive the way Bethesda used to be impressive. But then it's also their first game to have combat that's actually enjoyable, and the settlement stuff tickles the Sims and tycoon game lover in me. There's still a lot of fun to be had in that game.

Battlefront is suck a pretty proof of concept.

I hope EA can make a decent Star Wars game in a year or two.

My current fear is I hope that Amy Henning + Visceral game doesn't get Dead Space 3'd to death.

could be worse

could get Dante's Inferno'd

Dante's Inferno was way better then it should have been. A more then decent God of War clone.

Dead Space 3 was such a abandonment of everything that made 1 and 2 great in just about every way.

Lets ditch the classic isolated space horror feel and add forced Co Op ala RE5.
Lets make it more traditional action game by adding bad guy army dudes to fight.
Lets just crash a moon into our established storyline and make sure this thing is damaged beyond repair when the game is done.

Dead Space totally followed the trajectory of Alien.
1 = the classic slow horror.
2 = the action / horror blend.
3 = I dont fucking know. Some businessmen did a focus test and this thing popped out.

Oh and KOTOR 2 is the 100th game on my steam library. Go me!?

Would have had more games but my and my brother shared a steam account since the day 1 of steam and when one of use moved I pulled the short straw.

The humans were fun to fight in Dead Space 3. They reacted in cool ways to your weapons(ie, even on the hardest difficulties your laser pistol would instantly amputate them) and created fun monster vs human scenarios that you very rarely see in games.

People need to go back and play Dead Space 2 and remember how action focused it is outside of the opening. Tons of qtes and big hollywood set pieces.

AcridMeat

Banned
I didn't think Dante's Inferno was that bad at the time.

In other unrelated news, I finally decided to pick up the new New Order album and I'm so pleased with it. It's great to have another album by them to listen to. I've avoided their output from the last 15-20 years.

I enjoyed Dante's Inferno until the last third of the game where they shoved 90% of the poem into a series of bland, forced challenge rooms because "Oh yeah, this doesn't make sense as a game" And enemies from other layers appearing in circles they didn't belong.

stop trying to make dead space 3 happen
Not all art is appreciated in its own time.

Teddified

I think the only thing I'm gonna get this BF is AC Syndicate. I already have so much of a backlog that buying tons of new games seems ill advised.

FluxWaveZ

super mario maker is getting goty, smh

The ones who absolutely love it are Jeff and Dan. It'll be up to them to formulate an argument the others can agree with for it to take the top spot. I bet Vinny and Austin care more about Contradiction than Mario Maker.

Tan

The ones who absolutely love it are Jeff and Dan. It'll be up to them to formulate an argument the others can agree with for it to take the top spot. I bet Vinny and Austin care more about Contradiction than Mario Maker.

And Dan is probably gonna push for MGSV over Mario Maker.

Don't think so, Brad and Jason seemed to be fairly early in the game.

Brad was the furthest and even he has around 9 hours left.

And Jeff and Dan both really like MGSV, unless the post release stuff with MGSV has really hurt their opinion on it then I don't see it losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom