• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
At least he eliminated the pipe as a possibility. I really don't see him getting this without using the editor though.

hamchan

i wonder what game they will play on choose your adventure.

Boy, as much as I like the game I hope they don't play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky like some people are voting.

JRPGS are the worst for this format and it's not like that game has an exciting start.

Anyways there's no clear winner going by that thread, so your individual vote can count quite a lot. If someone wants to see a certain game I can help by adding an extra vote since I don't mind that much what they play.

Boy, as much as I like the game I hope they don't play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky like some people are voting.

JRPGS are the worst for this format and it's not like that game has an exciting start.

Anyways there's no clear winner going by that thread, so your individual vote can count quite a lot. If someone wants to see a certain game I can help by adding an extra vote since I don't mind that much what they play.

That's why I give them a list of games and they'll decide whatever they feel like playing.

I don't think you can even move your character for the first half hour. if they end up playing that, the commentary better be good or it will immediately find its way on a list of worst GB content.

hamchan

That's why I give them a list of games and they'll decide whatever they feel like playing.

I must just join the Toonstruck train which might be winning right now, just so they avoid picking an RPG. If this feature just becomes weekly FMVinny then I am ok with that.

I just received my Steam controller yesterday. It's actually pretty nice and I was playing around in Fallout 4. It wasn't difficult to use but it will take time to become as proficient with it as I am with a standard controller. There appear to be a good number of configs available for the games I looked at, so setting it up per game is relatively simple.

In my use case, there is only one type of game that I really see myself using for though. Slower paced keyboard and mouse based games that I'd like to play on my Television. This would include games like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Civ and hopefully Cities: Skyline, etc. No shooters, those I will stick with keyboard and mouse (that includes Fallout 4), no third person action type game like Dark Souls, my Xbox One controller works great for that. That would seem like limited usage for a new controller but 1. I really wanted to get one out of curiosity and 2. the games I'm talking about are games that you spend ridiculous numbers of hours playing. Playing in a more comfortable position for a game that doesn't require a lot of physical engagement, is something I look forward to.

Drew also said during Extra Life the new studio will be on a closed set and not an open free for all like it is now.

He said the set is about the same size but the control room is about double the size.

Dineren

Banned
I just received my Steam controller yesterday. It's actually pretty nice and I was playing around in Fallout 4. It wasn't difficult to use but it will take time to become as proficient with it as I am with a standard controller. There appear to be a good number of configs available for the games I looked at, so setting it up per game is relatively simple.

In my use case, there is only one type of game that I really see myself using for though. Slower paced keyboard and mouse based games that I'd like to play on my Television. This would include games like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Civ and hopefully Cities: Skyline, etc. No shooters, those I will stick with keyboard and mouse (that includes Fallout 4), no third person action type game like Dark Souls, my Xbox One controller works great for that. That would seem like limited usage for a new controller but 1. I really wanted to get one out of curiosity and 2. the games I'm talking about are games that you spend ridiculous numbers of hours playing. Playing in a more comfortable position for a game that doesn't require a lot of physical engagement, is something I look forward to.

I've been pretty impressed with mine so far. I used it for probably an hour in Pillars and it worked great which I never would have expected to say about a controller. I probably won't end up using it much though. I've got a pretty decent set up for my keyboard/mouse in front of my TV already so I'd generally rather use that for most games and I prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox One controller for the rest. I'll be interested to see where they go from here, with some revisions I could see it becoming my primary gaming device in the future.

Nero18

During the latest jar time Drew says they will paint the podcast studio grey because it looks better in shots, got my hopes up.

I've been pretty impressed with mine so far. I used it for probably an hour in Pillars and it worked great which I never would have expected to say about a controller. I probably won't end up using it much though. I've got a pretty decent set up for my keyboard/mouse in front of my TV already so I'd generally rather use that for most games and I prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox One controller for the rest. I'll be interested to see where they go from here, with some revisions I could see it becoming my primary gaming device in the future.

I've put away my old 360 controller and use the Steam controller exclusively now. Even with first-person shooters, the right config is just miles ahead of traditional dual-analog input in speed and precision. I couldn't be more pleased with the controller.

Fjolle

Video podcasts!

(From mixlr: They're building the podcast studio with video in mind. Not anything more concrete than that?)

Zaph

Jeff has always been against it, so wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think Jeff mentioned a while back that he's no longer as against the idea as he used to be but they have no plans to do it.

Imagine it's a extra headache for something which already takes a lot of their time. Drew/Jason would need to edit it and they'd probably have to split it into two parts (Hah, Tatum gets his way eventually...) for their video encoder.

Asked Jeff on Mixlr and he said there is more than just a possibility for a video podcast. They are building the studio with video in mind, however he also said that 3 hour videos would be expensive for them but he is exploring new ideas within that space, which is exciting.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Why would I want to watch a video version of the podcast though... idgi. Worst of both worlds, either you watch 4 dudes just sitting and talking, or they're gonna start doing visual stuff and the audio version of the podcast is gonna suck.

mintyice

Why would I want to watch a video version of the podcast though... idgi. Worst of both worlds, either you watch 4 dudes just sitting and talking, or they're gonna start doing visual stuff and the audio version of the podcast is gonna suck.

Same reason why jar time isn't a podcast

That's why he said they are exploring new ideas in ways that wouldn't make the audio version suck but I think what's awesome is we'll have more lets say chances for premium content or even if it's free content for all to enjoy. Plus, video podcast's is great in a way that would make it way easier to get into whatever it is they are trying to explain if they were making hand gestures or specific actions for example.

That's why he said they are exploring new ideas in ways that wouldn't make the audio version suck but I think what's awesome is we'll have more lets say chances for premium content or even if it's free content for all to enjoy. Plus, video podcast's is great in a way that would make it way easier to get into whatever it is they are trying to explain if they were making hand gestures or specific actions for example.

it'll be good for inviting people on and shooting the shit. not that they don't already do that, but you know...

justjim89

Whoah, missed the new thread.

Got too much to catch up on. Tomb Raider QL, MGScanlon, ROM QL, and now a Jar Time? Whew boy.

Worth noting: last night I drove into Michigan, and the welcome sign is the Pure Michigan logo used in the commercials narrated by Tim Allen. I couldn't help but burst out laughing remembering Jeff's reading from Tim Allen's autobiography.

Megasoum

Banned
Guys... Getting drops in your eyes to completely numb them so that the tech can go poke in there with a sharp instrument is a really fucking weird feeling lol.

Doesn't hurt at all... It's just fucking weird.

it'll be good for inviting people on and shooting the shit. not that they don't already do that, but you know...

If I'm not mistaken he mentioned that there is space for 8 people.

Guys... Getting drops in your eyes to completely numb them so that the tech can go poke in them with a sharp instrument is a really fucking weird feeling lol.

Congrats!

Guys... Getting drops in your eyes to completely numb them so that the tech can go poke in thete with a sharp instrument is a really fucking weird feeling lol.

I've had that done (not for lasik purposes) and I'm definitely not a fan. feels bad man

Xater

Brad's argument on the Bombcast regarding Fallout 4 is terrible. I experienced less bugs and jank in the entirety of Witcher 3 than in 15 hours of Fallout 4.

Brad's argument on the Bombcast regarding Fallout 4 is terrible. I experienced less bugs and jank in the entirety of Witcher 3 than in 15 hours of Fallout 4.

on a jank-per-hour basis, TW3 is miles worse for me than FO4 so far. although I did run into a fun bug where some point of geometry decided to stretch to infinity and gave me crazy out-of-bounds effects.

no progression bugs or CTD errors yet, so that alone gives it the edge over TW3

e: ah I see what his argument was. no it's not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom