• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

No, but he says no one does big RPGs like Bethesda so it's all ok. No it's absolutely not.

He doesn't really say that it's all okay. He says that he's okay with the jank, but he agrees with Jeff that the huge things like potential game breaking bugs has got to go. It all seemed to be based on his opinion too (of him having given up on them improving on it) and not some larger statement about whether it's "okay" or not.

As messed up as Dan's newest level is, it could have been SOOOO much worse. After basically finishing the completion path he could have gone back and littered the thing with diversion. Pipes that instakill, looping doors, and pipes that aren't functional.

Patryn

Real talk. Is The Witcher 3 a better game than Fallout 4?

The honest answer is that there is no single answer for this one.

For someone like Jeff, who really dislikes the Witcher, odds are he prefers Fallout 4, warts and all.

Basically it appears to come down to whether you like the Witcher or not. If you do, then the answer is probably yes.

If you're one of the people who doesn't really like the Witcher, there's a decent chance the answer is no.

He doesn't really say that it's all okay. He says that he's okay with the jank, but he agrees with Jeff that the huge things like potential game breaking bugs has got to go. It all seemed to be based on his opinion too (of him having given up on them improving on it) and not some larger statement about whether it's "ok" or not.

if anything, the bad clipping and animations and everything is half the reason I like Bethesda games at this point, they never fail to be their own brand of shitty. if characters suddenly stopped levitating through the ceilings, the worlds would be more boring.

performance and progression bugs are pretty unacceptable though, especially for a full-priced product from a company with the resources to theoretically fix it.

Boy, as much as I like the game I hope they don't play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky like some people are voting.

JRPGS are the worst for this format and it's not like that game has an exciting start.

Anyways there's no clear winner going by that thread, so your individual vote can count quite a lot. If someone wants to see a certain game I can help by adding an extra vote since I don't mind that much what they play.

Yeah, that game is a narrative Dark Souls: if you ain't receptive it WILL fail and the subtlety and craft goes unnoticed.

Boy, as much as I like the game I hope they don't play The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky like some people are voting.

JRPGS are the worst for this format and it's not like that game has an exciting start.

Anyways there's no clear winner going by that thread, so your individual vote can count quite a lot. If someone wants to see a certain game I can help by adding an extra vote since I don't mind that much what they play.

I really doubt they're gonna play a JRPG. I also love the game and its one of my favorites, but that game starts slow and goes slow. Its just not entertaining to watch.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Is the Witcher 3 a better game than Metal Gear Solid V?

The honest answer is that there is no single answer for this one.

If you think The Witcher 3 is a better game than Metal Gear Solid V, then The Witcher 3 is perhaps a better game than Metal Gear Solid V.

However, if you think Metal Gear Solid V is a better game than The Witcher 3, then Metal Gear Solid V is perhaps a better game than The Witcher 3.

Hope that helps.

Zaph

KPFCYGb.png

Xater

if anything, the bad clipping and animations and everything is half the reason I like Bethesda games at this point, they never fail to be their own brand of shitty. if characters suddenly stopped levitating through the ceilings, the worlds would be more boring.

performance and progression bugs are pretty unacceptable though, especially for a full-priced product from a company with the resources to theoretically fix it.

Even with all that jank it's quite boring.

I experienced in Fallout 4:

- quests breaking
- bad performance (PS4)
- people levitating and teleporting
- dialog skipping
- subtitles not appearing
- dialog not progressing (basically just saw my character without the prompts to pick an answer)
- enemies being able to shoot through walls
- me being able to shoot enemies through walls (despite not having that perk)
- bad camera angles during conversations

I could probably continue more, but except for some games that were completely broken this is the jankiest buggiest mess I have played in years. I think it's worse than Skyrim or Fallout 3.

Fallout 4 would be a much better game for me if they ripped out all of the main character backstory and all of the "Out-of-time Savior of the Wasteland" stuff. It's my biggest issue. So far every interaction has been a cry for help and only, I, the guy who just crawled out of a vault a day ago, can save these life-long survivors from the horrors of the post-apocalyptic world. I can already feel that I'm being railroaded into being the most important and powerful person of this world, if I want to progress. It's hard to play your character differently if you want to actually do quests.

TraBuch

Banned
Is it just me or is Fallout 4 less forgiving than 3 and NV? I think I've died more in the first ten or so hours in 4 than I did in all my time in 3 and NV.

I think the game is barely a challenge on normal. So far I have barely even needed to use VATS, Just dumping bullets works.

That makes sense. From what I saw of Dan's stream they give a ton of ammo, and you can actually aim properly outside of VATS unlike FO3.

justjim89

That whine in Dan's voice whenever anyone even begins to criticize MGSV or anything about is obnoxious as fuck. It's gonna make the deliberations a real pain in the ass. Even this week's Bombcast, when Jeff and Brad say Venom Snake is not a hero, Dan's all "Eeeeeeeeh he's pretty cool, guys!" I can't be the only one put off by that. It's not even about me not liking MGSV. That's just not good podcast banter.

Nero18

Fallout 4 would be a much better game for me if they ripped out all of the main character backstory and all of the "Out-of-time Savior of the Wasteland" stuff. It's my biggest issue. So far every interaction has been a cry for help and only, I, the guy who just crawled out of a vault a day ago, can save these life-long survivors from the horrors of the post-apocalyptic world. I can already feel that I'm being railroaded into being the most important and powerful person of this world, if I want to progress. It's hard to play your character differently if you want to actually do quests.

Some of this kinda goes for all video games. I don't always need to be the "one".

I keep getting rekt on normal, personally

maybe I'm just bad at games

but really Jeff's review pretty much nails the gist of it all. your enjoyment of the game directly correlates with your ability to tolerate the games (many, glaring) issues.

I think it's a fun game to lazily play while watching tv. that's kind of all I really wanted out of it anyway.

AcridMeat

Banned
Drew said during extra life they were moving at the same time as Game Of The Year stuff.
Yikes, that's rough timing.
I feel the same way. It's not like they build you up as a Demolition Man situation, where you were some super cop or soldier in your previous life.
Huh. Maybe I should be wearing armor and not a charisma suit.
It sucks, I have all of these pristine suits/dresses, and a tuxedo, but because I upgraded my vault suit nothing is anywhere near as good. Also for some reason you can't wear armor over a tux, that seems like a wasted opportunity.

That whine in Dan's voice whenever anyone even begins to criticize MGSV or anything about is obnoxious as fuck. It's gonna make the deliberations a real pain in the ass. Even this week's Bombcast, when Jeff and Brad say Venom Snake is not a hero, Dan's all "Eeeeeeeeh he's pretty cool, guys!" I can't be the only one put off by that. It's not even about me not liking MGSV. That's just not good podcast banter.

Ocelot and Solidus are heroes tho.

Was he? I haven't gotten too far into the story yet. Why wouldn't the intro bring that forth?

The intro does exactly that. The wife comments on the opening speech/intro taking place at a veterans hall. She mentions that they'll start a normal life now that he's out of the army.

It's in the first 10 minutes of the game.

JJDubz

How surprising that Fallout 4 suffers the same detrimental design decisions that Mass Effect and Dragon Age suffered.

Dineren

Banned
One of the biggest reasons I like Bethesda RPGs is that the main character is mainly a blank slate. I really hope they don't keep going down this road in the next Elder Scrolls game.

as far as I can tell she was just a housewife, which is making my playthrough kind of funny. you guys think the dude's narrative is busted? try the lady.

I think they mention in the intro that she has a law degree, but I don't recall them saying if she actually did anything with it.

I really like Dan in video content but I rarely enjoy his contributions to the Bombcast and when I do it's when he is not talking about games.

Kinda glad I'm still working on finishing a Certain Other 2015 RPG right now because it means that like a month from now I'll be able to come into this thread and say "Yo so what's the final word on Fallout 4? Is the dialogue fucked? Is The Shooting good?" and get a solid idea of whether it's worth my time.

Dammit, stump. Stop making it sound interesting.

if you have the same warped sense of "interesting" as I do, then you're already beyond help

and the shooting is good, I doubt you'll find many reasonable people who seriously have issues with it. it's one of the few things you'd really have to stretch to criticise. not that that's stopping people.

I've played Fallout 4 for an hour and a half, and half of that time was spent with a headache because of the blurriness the game's AA solution has and the 70 FOV.

I'm pretty sure he meant that in a joking "sure, but he's pretty cool" way and not a "he totally is a role model because of how cool he is" way. He mentioned that he needed to get his daughter on wrestling, so it's kind of obvious that he wasn't being particularly serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom